0.5 vs. head of the trunk?

hamishagain@dcs.shef.ac.uk
hi,

is the latest svn snapshot fairly stable in general?

and are bug fixes done on the releases (e.g. 0.5) or is it better to use the
trunk?

thanks!
--
Hamish
http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~hamish/

Re: 0.5 vs. head of the trunk?

Marc Palmer Local

On 14 May 2007, at 17:55, Hamish Cunningham wrote:

> hi,
>
> is the latest svn snapshot fairly stable in general?

Define latest ;-)

I'm not aware of any major problems in 0.5, but I'm not using it in
production yet.

> and are bug fixes done on the releases (e.g. 0.5) or is it better
> to use the trunk?

Trunk - aka HEAD.

Marc

Re: 0.5 vs. head of the trunk?

Tom Nichols
A snapshot is automatically built every time a commit is made to SVN
head.  It is stable only in the sense that it passes all of the
automated the unit tests.

I think the general recommendation is that you should work from the
last stable release unless you need a fix/enhancement that has been
committed since then.  I don't think many commits have been made since
the 0.5 milestone anyways.

I tend to build from SVN head, but I am definitely not using it in
production.  All I can say is the committers generally do a good job
of not breaking the build :)

-Tom

On 5/14/07, Hamish Cunningham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi,
>
> is the latest svn snapshot fairly stable in general?
>
> and are bug fixes done on the releases (e.g. 0.5) or is it better to use the
> trunk?
>
> thanks!
> --
> Hamish
> http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~hamish/

Re: 0.5 vs. head of the trunk?

hamishagain@dcs.shef.ac.uk
Marc, Tom,

Thanks.

 > Define latest  ;-)

I meant the latest checkout from SVN.

> I think the general recommendation is that you should work from the
> last stable release unless you need a fix/enhancement that has been
> committed since then.  I don't think many commits have been made since
> the 0.5 milestone anyways.

Ok, will use 0.5 for now.

best,