Quantcast

ANN: BlazeDS Plugin 2.0 and Flex Plugin 0.4 released

ANN: BlazeDS Plugin 2.0 and Flex Plugin 0.4 released

Burt Beckwith-2
I'm happy to announce that significant updates have been made to the BlazeDS and Flex plugins and new versions of each have been released. Both plugins require Grails 1.2.3 or later.

The plugins been updated to use Spring Flex 1.5, BlazeDS 4, Spring Security 3 (via the Spring Security Core plugin) and also have enhancements for Hibernate lazy loading support. There's also tighter integration with Flash Builder (using the integrate-with-flash-builder script) so you no longer need to run a war to use the remoting wizard.

These are now official Grails plugins and the code is hosted at Github at github.com/grails-plugins/grails-blazeds and github.com/grails-plugins/grails-flex and the docs for the plugins are at grails-plugins.github.com/grails-blazeds/ and grails-plugins.github.com/grails-flex/

The plugins are now hierarchical - the Flex plugin no longer redundantly configures BlazeDS but instead depends on the BlazeDS plugin. In addition the Flex Scaffold plugin (GFS) is in the process of being reworked to depend on the BlazeDS and Flex plugins and being updated to use Flex 4. The repo has been migrated to github.com/grails-plugins/grails-flex-scaffold

Sebastien Arbogast, the author of the BlazeDS plugin, has updated his sample application and written about the updates on his blog, see "Flex on Grails, Take 2": sebastien-arbogast.com/2010/11/16/flex-on-grails-take-2/ and "Flex on Grails, Take 2, Part 2": sebastien-arbogast.com/2010/11/16/flex-on-grails-take-2-part-2/ and you can grab the sample app code from github.com/sarbogast/flexongrails

There's also a brief tutorial in the Flex plugin docs, and I'm finishing up a screencast demonstrating how to create a Grails + BlazeDS + Flex application in about 10 minutes.

Feedback, suggestions for improvement and contributions are always welcome. Please report any bugs or feature requests on the user list or in JIRA at jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRAILSPLUGINS under the Grails-BlazeDS or Grails-Flex component.

p.s. I've tried to send this a few times previously but they didn't go through, so you'll probably see the others at some point.

Re: ANN: BlazeDS Plugin 2.0 and Flex Plugin 0.4 released

tomas lin
Thanks for all your work Sebastien and Burt. Looks like Christmas is
early this year...

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Burt Beckwith
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm happy to announce that significant updates have been made to the BlazeDS
> and Flex plugins and new versions of each have been released. Both plugins
> require Grails 1.2.3 or later.
>
> The plugins been updated to use Spring Flex 1.5, BlazeDS 4, Spring Security
> 3 (via the Spring Security Core plugin) and also have enhancements for
> Hibernate lazy loading support. There's also tighter integration with Flash
> Builder (using the integrate-with-flash-builder script) so you no longer
> need to run a war to use the remoting wizard.
>
> These are now official Grails plugins and the code is hosted at Github at
> github.com/grails-plugins/grails-blazeds and
> github.com/grails-plugins/grails-flex and the docs for the plugins are at
> grails-plugins.github.com/grails-blazeds/ and
> grails-plugins.github.com/grails-flex/
>
> The plugins are now hierarchical - the Flex plugin no longer redundantly
> configures BlazeDS but instead depends on the BlazeDS plugin. In addition
> the Flex Scaffold plugin (GFS) is in the process of being reworked to depend
> on the BlazeDS and Flex plugins and being updated to use Flex 4. The repo
> has been migrated to github.com/grails-plugins/grails-flex-scaffold
>
> Sebastien Arbogast, the author of the BlazeDS plugin, has updated his sample
> application and written about the updates on his blog, see "Flex on Grails,
> Take 2": sebastien-arbogast.com/2010/11/16/flex-on-grails-take-2/ and "Flex
> on Grails, Take 2, Part 2":
> sebastien-arbogast.com/2010/11/16/flex-on-grails-take-2-part-2/ and you can
> grab the sample app code from github.com/sarbogast/flexongrails
>
> There's also a brief tutorial in the Flex plugin docs, and I'm finishing up
> a screencast demonstrating how to create a Grails + BlazeDS + Flex
> application in about 10 minutes.
>
> Feedback, suggestions for improvement and contributions are always welcome.
> Please report any bugs or feature requests on the user list or in JIRA at
> jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRAILSPLUGINS under the Grails-BlazeDS or
> Grails-Flex component.
>
> p.s. I've tried to send this a few times previously but they didn't go
> through, so you'll probably see the others at some point.

Re: ANN: BlazeDS Plugin 2.0 and Flex Plugin 0.4 released

fabien7474
Wao : impressive work !!

One question : can we use these plugins without Spring Security 3 ? If yes, is it compatible with Shiro plugin?

Thank you,

Fabien

Re: ANN: BlazeDS Plugin 2.0 and Flex Plugin 0.4 released

Burt Beckwith-2
It'd be a little work, but no more than rolling your own security solution using Flex/BlazeDS without any frameworks. Spring Flex integrates with Spring Security 3, and I just reworked it slightly to use the Spring Security Core plugin.

Documenting security is at the top of my todo list for the plugin, and I'll look into supporting a different framework when I do that.

Burt

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 4:11 PM, fabien7474 <[hidden email]> wrote:

Wao : impressive work !!

One question : can we use these plugins without Spring Security 3 ? If yes,
is it compatible with Shiro plugin?

Thank you,

Fabien

Re: ANN: BlazeDS Plugin 2.0 and Flex Plugin 0.4 released

John Fletcher-3
Fantastic news.

John.

Re: ANN: BlazeDS Plugin 2.0 and Flex Plugin 0.4 released

Oliver Wahlen
Burt,
many thanks for your work on BlazeDS and flex!

I am currently testing the blazeds plugin and it works quite well so far.

One question:
If I am using Groovy DTOs instead of JavaDTOs FlashBuilder generates a metaClass property on the flex side.
Is this an intended behavior or is there a reason for this?

Re: ANN: BlazeDS Plugin 2.0 and Flex Plugin 0.4 released

tomas lin
BlazeDS probably introspects your DTO for methods and gets confused.
Sebastien Arbogast discourages the use of Groovy classes for this same
reason.

I recommend using Peter Ledbrook's DTO plugin to autogenerate Java
DTOs since this reduces some of the problems you're seeing.
http://www.grails.org/plugin/dto

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Oliver Wahlen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Burt,
> many thanks for your work on BlazeDS and flex!
>
> I am currently testing the blazeds plugin and it works quite well so far.
>
> One question:
> If I am using Groovy DTOs instead of JavaDTOs FlashBuilder generates a
> metaClass property on the flex side.
> Is this an intended behavior or is there a reason for this?

Re: ANN: BlazeDS Plugin 2.0 and Flex Plugin 0.4 released

Oliver Wahlen
Hello Tomas,
I am not sure if the introspection of the DTOs is done in blazeds or in the blazeds plugin.
I think at least for the services the introspection happens in the blazeds plugin, no?

The funny thing is that Sebastien is using a Groovy DTO in his latest tutorial:
http://sebastien-arbogast.com/2010/11/16/flex-on-grails-take-2-part-2

I was not aware of the DTO plugin.
It looks quite interesting, too. However it kind of contradicts the principle of DTOs if you simply stuff Groovy domain classes one on one into Java DTOs:
On the one hand side DTOs will probably contain properties coming from several domains (e.g. as a result of a hql query containing joins).
On the other side you probably do not want to expose all domain properties in the DTO.

I would be interested to hear Burt's or Sebastien's opinion which option to choose:
1. use Groovy DTOs and simply ignore the metaClass property (maybe it is removed in a later plugin version)
2. use Java DTOs and accept some hassle writing constructors, getters, setters, etc.
3. use DTO plugin and somehow simplify option 2

Re: ANN: BlazeDS Plugin 2.0 and Flex Plugin 0.4 released

Burt Beckwith-2
It's done in BlazeDS but there are hooks to limit what gets included. The plugin registers a subclass of flex.messaging.io.BeanProxy (grails.plugin.blazeds.BlazeDsPropertyProxy) for all domain classes to exclude properties that aren't useful to the UI. This is configurable using the grails.plugin.blazeds.proxyIgnoreProperties config property and defaults all the event names (onLoad, onSave, beforeLoad, etc.) plus 'class', 'metaClass', and 'hibernateLazyInitializer'.

What's needed is a way to specify DTOs and other non-domain classes that will be serialized to a client so they can also get a property proxy registered. This is on my todo list for the next release. I created GRAILSPLUGINS-2654 to track this.

Burt

Oliver Wahlen
Sounds great - thanks!

Re: ANN: BlazeDS Plugin 2.0 and Flex Plugin 0.4 released

John Fletcher-3
I followed Sebastien's tute which provided a good introduction, thanks for this. Now I'm interested in server-push messaging. Searching around, info about using Spring Flex to server-push messages from JMS is very sparse, Grails-related or not. Is there any chance that some nice person will give an explanation of how to get this going with the improved plugin?

John