ANN: Grails 2.1 RC1 Available

Graeme Rocher
Administrator
Hi all,

This year we are following a theme of doing smaller more frequent 2.x
releases and so we have made available Grails 2.1 RC1:

http://grails.org/2.1.0.RC1+Release+Notes

The highlights of 2.1 RC1 are the improved Maven integration
(multi-module support, forked mode etc.), the Grails wrapper feature
and the new Cache plugin (also usable in 2.0.x)

For Maven users we would appreciate testing and feedback and as many
JIRA issues as possible reported to
http://jira.grails.org/browse/MAVEN

Thanks for your feedback and enjoy the release!

http://www.springsource.com

request format vs. response format

Steve Tekell
Is there anything which can tell me the request format, that is the grails configured mime.type name for the incoming request?
So if someone submits Content-Type = application/atom+xml, and there is an entry like
atom: ['application/atom+xml', 'somethingelse',....]
I'd like be able to know that the inputFormat=='atom'
or do something like withInputFormat { atom {} json{} ....}

request.format (and withFormat) tells me about what the Accept header was in Grails terms and what the response format should be, but not what the input format was.  And request.contentType doesn't have mapped mime type name, just the raw header.

thanks,

Steve

Re: request format vs. response format

Ian Roberts
On 16/05/2012 16:02, Steven Tekell wrote:
> request.format (and withFormat) tells me about what the Accept header
> was in Grails terms and what the response format should be, but not what
> the input format was.  And request.contentType doesn't have mapped mime
> type name, just the raw header.

What version of Grails?  In Grails 2 request.withFormat is supposed to
work with the Content-Type and the plain withFormat with the Accept
header.  In 1.3.x you could only condition on the Accept header, not on
the request Content-Type.

Ian

Re: request format vs. response format

Graeme Rocher
Administrator
I assume you are using Grails 1.3.x, in Grails 2.0.x this has been
rectified so there is request.format and response.format (latter being
ACCEPT header and former being CONTENT_TYPE)

Cheers

http://www.springsource.com

Re: request format vs. response format

Steve Tekell
Thanks Ian and Graeme for the quick and helpful replies.

I had just upgraded a couple of projects to Grails 2.0.x and gotten confused.  They had different settings for
grails.mime.use.accept.header.  Plus, my legacy code made me think the plain withFormat was using request.format.

request.format and response.format do work as needed now that have enabled accept headers.  And I'll give request.withFormat a try to sort out my legacy code.

thanks,

Steve

Re: ANN: Grails 2.1 RC1 Available

Roberto Guerra
I get the following errors when running an app with 2.1.0RC1. I did this with a brand new app created with the new release:

with jdk 7: Error executing script RunApp: No such property: org for class: RunApp

with jdk 1.6.0_25: Error executing script RunApp: No such property: org for class: _GrailsRun_groovy

The Journey Is The Reward.

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 6:16 PM, Roberto Guerra <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I get the following errors when running an app with 2.1.0RC1. I did this
> with a brand new app created with the new release:
>
> with jdk 7: Error executing script RunApp: No such property: org for class:
> RunApp
>
> with jdk 1.6.0_25: Error executing script RunApp: No such property: org for
> class: _GrailsRun_groovy

Please see http://jira.grails.org/browse/GRAILS-9118 for the workaround.

Cheers

> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 10:03 AM, Eric Berry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Great job team!
>>

>> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 8:11 AM, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> This year we are following a theme of doing smaller more frequent 2.x
>>> releases and so we have made available Grails 2.1 RC1:
>>>
>>> http://grails.org/2.1.0.RC1+Release+Notes
>>>
>>> The highlights of 2.1 RC1 are the improved Maven integration
>>> (multi-module support, forked mode etc.), the Grails wrapper feature
>>> and the new Cache plugin (also usable in 2.0.x)
>>>
>>> For Maven users we would appreciate testing and feedback and as many
>>> JIRA issues as possible reported to
>>> http://jira.grails.org/browse/MAVEN
>>>
>>> Thanks for your feedback and enjoy the release!
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> --
>>> Graeme Rocher
>>> Grails Project Lead
>>> SpringSource - A Division of VMware
>>> http://www.springsource.com

> The Journey Is The Reward.

http://www.springsource.com

Re: ANN: Grails 2.1 RC1 Available

Andrew Todd
On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> (multi-module support, forked mode etc.), the Grails wrapper feature

So what's forked mode? Can't find a reference to it in the JIRAs or What's New.

The "What's new in Grails 2.1?" user guide sections links to the "cache-ehcache docs" with this broken link:
http://grails-plugins.github.com/grails-cache-ehcache/

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 10:43 PM, Andrew Todd <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> (multi-module support, forked mode etc.), the Grails wrapper feature
>
> So what's forked mode? Can't find a reference to it in the JIRAs or What's New.

It is a new feature of the Maven plugin. You can specify:

            <plugin>
                <groupId>org.grails</groupId>
                <artifactId>grails-maven-plugin</artifactId>
                <version>${grails.version}</version>
                <configuration>
                    <!-- Whether for Fork a JVM to run Grails commands -->
                    <fork>true</fork>
                </configuration>
                <extensions>true</extensions>
            </plugin>

And all Grails commands execute in a forked JVM, thus reducing memory
strain on the mvn process, isolating class paths etc.

http://www.springsource.com

RE: ANN: Grails 2.1 RC1 Available

jonspalmer
Great stuff. The Grails Wrapper stuff looks awesome. One question: How are IDE's like IntelliJ or Eclipse expected to integrate with Grails apps that are using the wrapper? Are the versions of Grails installed by the wrapper put in some obvious place so that we can point the IDEs at them? Do you imagine that the IDEs will eventually implement features to use the wrapper?

Thanks
Jon

This year we are following a theme of doing smaller more frequent 2.x releases and so we have made available Grails 2.1 RC1:

http://grails.org/2.1.0.RC1+Release+Notes

The highlights of 2.1 RC1 are the improved Maven integration (multi-module support, forked mode etc.), the Grails wrapper feature and the new Cache plugin (also usable in 2.0.x)

For Maven users we would appreciate testing and feedback and as many JIRA issues as possible reported to http://jira.grails.org/browse/MAVEN

Thanks for your feedback and enjoy the release!

http://www.springsource.com

This email is intended for the person(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED or CONFIDENTIAL. Any unauthorized use, distribution, copying, or disclosure by any person other than the addressee(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by return email and delete the message and any attachments from your system.

Re: ANN: Grails 2.1 RC1 Available

burtbeckwith

The docs are available now.

Burt