[ANN] Grails CMSs join forces

12

[ANN] Grails CMSs join forces

Albers, Stephan
Hello,

so far, there are 3 independent plugins that provide content management
functionality for Grails:

- Weceem Plugin
- Simple CMS Plugin
- Content Manager Plugin

Over the last couple of weeks, the developers and committers of all 3
plugins have come together and decided to join forces and create a
single "unified" plugin for content management in Grails with additional
plugins based on the same core.

The new Weceem plugin is based on the existing Weceem software, but will
extend and change the system so that we have a great foundation for the
unification of the different plugins and future development.

We are going to provide core functionality from all 3 systems in one
plugin and add documentation or scripts for the migration to transfer
existing websites into the new plugin.

In the next weeks, we will release Weceem 0.3, which will have the core
concepts implemented, that are needed for the integration. The following
release will have the amin functionality from the 3 plugins integrated,
included a sophisticated menu system, complete support for Blogs and
Wikis and more.

We believe that this is an important step for the Grails community and
we hope that this will increase the adoption of a "unified" Grails CMS.

Feel free to join the growing community or jump right into development:

- download and checkout the current development (http://www.weceem.org/)
- ask questions in our forum (http://forums.jcatalog.com/)
- check tickets, bugs and feature requests (http://jira.jcatalog.com/)

Best Regards,

Stephan Albers,  http://www.jcatalog.com
Scott Burch,  http://www.smartwebsystems.biz
David Cherry,  http://www.thecoderscorner.com
Viktor Fedorov,  http://www.jcatalog.com
Marc Palmer,  http://www.anyware.co.uk

http://www.weceem.org

Re: [ANN] Grails CMSs join forces

Robert Fischer
Awesome!

~~ Robert Fischer, Smokejumper IT Consulting.
Enfranchised Mind Blog http://EnfranchisedMind.com/blog

Check out my book, "Grails Persistence with GORM and GSQL"!
http://www.smokejumperit.com/gormbook

Stephan Albers wrote:

> Hello,
>
> so far, there are 3 independent plugins that provide content management
> functionality for Grails:
>
> - Weceem Plugin
> - Simple CMS Plugin
> - Content Manager Plugin
>
> Over the last couple of weeks, the developers and committers of all 3
> plugins have come together and decided to join forces and create a
> single "unified" plugin for content management in Grails with additional
> plugins based on the same core.
>
> The new Weceem plugin is based on the existing Weceem software, but will
> extend and change the system so that we have a great foundation for the
> unification of the different plugins and future development.
>
> We are going to provide core functionality from all 3 systems in one
> plugin and add documentation or scripts for the migration to transfer
> existing websites into the new plugin.
>
> In the next weeks, we will release Weceem 0.3, which will have the core
> concepts implemented, that are needed for the integration. The following
> release will have the amin functionality from the 3 plugins integrated,
> included a sophisticated menu system, complete support for Blogs and
> Wikis and more.
>
> We believe that this is an important step for the Grails community and
> we hope that this will increase the adoption of a "unified" Grails CMS.
>
> Feel free to join the growing community or jump right into development:
>
> - download and checkout the current development (http://www.weceem.org/)
> - ask questions in our forum (http://forums.jcatalog.com/)
> - check tickets, bugs and feature requests (http://jira.jcatalog.com/)
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Stephan Albers,  http://www.jcatalog.com
> Scott Burch,  http://www.smartwebsystems.biz
> David Cherry,  http://www.thecoderscorner.com
> Viktor Fedorov,  http://www.jcatalog.com
> Marc Palmer,  http://www.anyware.co.uk
>
> http://www.weceem.org

Re: [ANN] Grails CMSs join forces

lucastex
Wow!!! The Megazord is coming!
Thanks everyone, this is great for the grails comm.

[]s,

Lucas Frare Teixeira .·.
- [hidden email]
- blog.lucastex.com
- twitter.com/lucastex

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 5:29 AM, Stephan Albers <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

ksmith
It would be great if this also meant standardizing on the JCR too
(Java Content Repository/Apache JackRabbit), as this would provide a
standard 'grails way' of accessing content (for both open and
commercial-JCR-based systems).

On Sep 23, 2009, at 8:29 AM, Stephan Albers wrote:

> Hello,
>
> so far, there are 3 independent plugins that provide content
> management functionality for Grails:
>
> - Weceem Plugin
> - Simple CMS Plugin
> - Content Manager Plugin
>
> Over the last couple of weeks, the developers and committers of all
> 3 plugins have come together and decided to join forces and create a
> single "unified" plugin for content management in Grails with
> additional plugins based on the same core.
>
> The new Weceem plugin is based on the existing Weceem software, but
> will extend and change the system so that we have a great foundation
> for the unification of the different plugins and future development.
>
> We are going to provide core functionality from all 3 systems in one
> plugin and add documentation or scripts for the migration to
> transfer existing websites into the new plugin.
>
> In the next weeks, we will release Weceem 0.3, which will have the
> core concepts implemented, that are needed for the integration. The
> following release will have the amin functionality from the 3
> plugins integrated, included a sophisticated menu system, complete
> support for Blogs and Wikis and more.
>
> We believe that this is an important step for the Grails community
> and we hope that this will increase the adoption of a "unified"
> Grails CMS.
>
> Feel free to join the growing community or jump right into
> development:
>
> - download and checkout the current development (http://www.weceem.org/
> )
> - ask questions in our forum (http://forums.jcatalog.com/)
> - check tickets, bugs and feature requests (http://jira.jcatalog.com/)
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Stephan Albers,  http://www.jcatalog.com
> Scott Burch,  http://www.smartwebsystems.biz
> David Cherry,  http://www.thecoderscorner.com
> Viktor Fedorov,  http://www.jcatalog.com
> Marc Palmer,  http://www.anyware.co.uk
>
> http://www.weceem.org

Re: [ANN] Grails CMSs join forces

Warner Onstine-3
I have mixed feelings about the JCR as I've actually used it to
implement a simple repository at work.

I like the idea, but the execution (JackRabbit) leaves some things to
be desired, especially the authentication mechanism (no one that I
know actually uses jaas anymore).

-warner

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Kevin Smith
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> It would be great if this also meant standardizing on the JCR too (Java
> Content Repository/Apache JackRabbit), as this would provide a standard
> 'grails way' of accessing content (for both open and commercial-JCR-based
> systems).
>

> On Sep 23, 2009, at 8:29 AM, Stephan Albers wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> so far, there are 3 independent plugins that provide content management
>> functionality for Grails:
>>
>> - Weceem Plugin
>> - Simple CMS Plugin
>> - Content Manager Plugin
>>
>> Over the last couple of weeks, the developers and committers of all 3
>> plugins have come together and decided to join forces and create a single
>> "unified" plugin for content management in Grails with additional plugins
>> based on the same core.
>>
>> The new Weceem plugin is based on the existing Weceem software, but will
>> extend and change the system so that we have a great foundation for the
>> unification of the different plugins and future development.
>>
>> We are going to provide core functionality from all 3 systems in one
>> plugin and add documentation or scripts for the migration to transfer
>> existing websites into the new plugin.
>>
>> In the next weeks, we will release Weceem 0.3, which will have the core
>> concepts implemented, that are needed for the integration. The following
>> release will have the amin functionality from the 3 plugins integrated,
>> included a sophisticated menu system, complete support for Blogs and Wikis
>> and more.
>>
>> We believe that this is an important step for the Grails community and we
>> hope that this will increase the adoption of a "unified" Grails CMS.
>>
>> Feel free to join the growing community or jump right into development:
>>
>> - download and checkout the current development (http://www.weceem.org/)
>> - ask questions in our forum (http://forums.jcatalog.com/)
>> - check tickets, bugs and feature requests (http://jira.jcatalog.com/)
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Stephan Albers,  http://www.jcatalog.com
>> Scott Burch,  http://www.smartwebsystems.biz
>> David Cherry,  http://www.thecoderscorner.com
>> Viktor Fedorov,  http://www.jcatalog.com
>> Marc Palmer,  http://www.anyware.co.uk
>>
>> http://www.weceem.org

>>  http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Re: [ANN] Grails CMSs join forces

Guillaume Laforge-2
Great initiative!

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 14:29, Stephan Albers
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> so far, there are 3 independent plugins that provide content management
> functionality for Grails:
>
> - Weceem Plugin
> - Simple CMS Plugin
> - Content Manager Plugin
>
> Over the last couple of weeks, the developers and committers of all 3
> plugins have come together and decided to join forces and create a single
> "unified" plugin for content management in Grails with additional plugins
> based on the same core.
>
> The new Weceem plugin is based on the existing Weceem software, but will
> extend and change the system so that we have a great foundation for the
> unification of the different plugins and future development.
>
> We are going to provide core functionality from all 3 systems in one plugin
> and add documentation or scripts for the migration to transfer existing
> websites into the new plugin.
>
> In the next weeks, we will release Weceem 0.3, which will have the core
> concepts implemented, that are needed for the integration. The following
> release will have the amin functionality from the 3 plugins integrated,
> included a sophisticated menu system, complete support for Blogs and Wikis
> and more.
>
> We believe that this is an important step for the Grails community and we
> hope that this will increase the adoption of a "unified" Grails CMS.
>
> Feel free to join the growing community or jump right into development:
>
> - download and checkout the current development (http://www.weceem.org/)
> - ask questions in our forum (http://forums.jcatalog.com/)
> - check tickets, bugs and feature requests (http://jira.jcatalog.com/)
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Stephan Albers,  http://www.jcatalog.com
> Scott Burch,  http://www.smartwebsystems.biz
> David Cherry,  http://www.thecoderscorner.com
> Viktor Fedorov,  http://www.jcatalog.com
> Marc Palmer,  http://www.anyware.co.uk
>
> http://www.weceem.org

Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
http://www.springsource.com/g2one

Re: [ANN] Grails CMSs join forces

gem fox
Well Done!

If Weceem 0.3 is released, I will download and dig it!

> so far, there are 3 independent plugins that provide content management
> functionality for Grails:
>
> - Weceem Plugin
> - Simple CMS Plugin
> - Content Manager Plugin
>
> Over the last couple of weeks, the developers and committers of all 3
> plugins have come together and decided to join forces and create a
> single "unified" plugin for content management in Grails with additional
> plugins based on the same core.
>
> The new Weceem plugin is based on the existing Weceem software, but will
> extend and change the system so that we have a great foundation for the
> unification of the different plugins and future development.
>
> We are going to provide core functionality from all 3 systems in one
> plugin and add documentation or scripts for the migration to transfer
> existing websites into the new plugin.
>
> In the next weeks, we will release Weceem 0.3, which will have the core
> concepts implemented, that are needed for the integration. The following
> release will have the amin functionality from the 3 plugins integrated,
> included a sophisticated menu system, complete support for Blogs and
> Wikis and more.
>
> We believe that this is an important step for the Grails community and
> we hope that this will increase the adoption of a "unified" Grails CMS.
>
> Feel free to join the growing community or jump right into development:
>
> - download and checkout the current development (http://www.weceem.org/)
> - ask questions in our forum (http://forums.jcatalog.com/)
> - check tickets, bugs and feature requests (http://jira.jcatalog.com/)
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Stephan Albers,  http://www.jcatalog.com
> Scott Burch,  http://www.smartwebsystems.biz
> David Cherry,  http://www.thecoderscorner.com
> Viktor Fedorov,  http://www.jcatalog.com
> Marc Palmer,  http://www.anyware.co.uk
>
> http://www.weceem.org

Re: [ANN] Grails CMSs join forces

Bradley Beddoes-2
Sounds really great.

I'd be happy to see what we could achieve with adding Nimble into mix
if there is any interest even as an optional component that gives
extra functionality for access control/auth etc if folks choose to
also use it.

cheers,
Bradley

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 11:18 AM, foxgem <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well Done!
>
> If Weceem 0.3 is released, I will download and dig it!

Marc Palmer Local

On 24 Sep 2009, at 02:18, foxgem wrote:

> Well Done!
>
> If Weceem 0.3 is released, I will download and dig it!

I think you mean "when" :) There is no if 0.3 is released - we're
close to code freeze before mop-up and release!

Thanks everyone for the kind words, its great news that we've merged.

Marc
~ ~ ~
Marc Palmer
Blog         > http://www.anyware.co.uk
Twitter      > http://twitter.com/wangjammer5
Grails Rocks > http://www.grailsrocks.com

Re: [ANN] Grails CMSs join forces

Albers, Stephan
I like what I read about Nimble and it would be interesting to integrate
it with Weceem, however all user oriented functions are not part of the
Weceem plugin, they are in the Weceem application. We want Weceem to be
independent of user management and stay as a pure content management
solution.

Maybe we could use Nimble in the app as an "example" for user management
and get the social functions for free...

Stephan

Bradley Beddoes schrieb:
> Sounds really great.
>
> I'd be happy to see what we could achieve with adding Nimble into mix
> if there is any interest even as an optional component that gives
> extra functionality for access control/auth etc if folks choose to
> also use it.
>
> cheers,
> Bradley

Re: [ANN] Grails CMSs join forces

Albers, Stephan
We have designed Weceem with JCR in mind, however we are using plain and
simple Grails domain classes. Our content hierarchy and the content
types fit well with JCR.

Our idea was, that at one point in time, someone will write/finish a JCR
plugin to store the domain objects in a JCR repository (instead of
Hibernate or JPA). I know that the development started (I think Graeme
wrote an early version), but never got finished.

We have no plans to write our own JCR plugin or direct integration with
JCR as we want to able to use a simple Grails installation with a
relational DBMS as a storage, however an integration would be great in
"enterprise" situations and it would also be good for marketing purposes.

Stephan

Kevin Smith schrieb:
> It would be great if this also meant standardizing on the JCR too (Java
> Content Repository/Apache JackRabbit), as this would provide a standard
> 'grails way' of accessing content (for both open and
> commercial-JCR-based systems).

Re: [ANN] Grails CMSs join forces

John Fletcher-3
I'm impressed.

Over the last couple of weeks, the developers and committers of all 3 plugins have come together and decided to join forces and create a single "unified" plugin for content management in Grails with additional plugins based on the same core.

Re: [ANN] Grails CMSs join forces

jondo_w
I must concur. Seldom do competing (albeit open source) efforts join forces. This kind of symmetry is wonderful to see, and will make for a far more compelling end result. Well done!

2009/9/23 Stephan Albers <[hidden email]>
Over the last couple of weeks, the developers and committers of all 3 plugins have come together and decided to join forces and create a single "unified" plugin for content management in Grails with additional plugins based on the same core.

Re: [ANN] Grails CMSs join forces

Björn Wilmsmann-2
Excellent, I'm looking forward to the next release.

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 2:29 PM, Stephan Albers
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> so far, there are 3 independent plugins that provide content management
> functionality for Grails:
>
> - Weceem Plugin
> - Simple CMS Plugin
> - Content Manager Plugin
>
> Over the last couple of weeks, the developers and committers of all 3
> plugins have come together and decided to join forces and create a single
> "unified" plugin for content management in Grails with additional plugins
> based on the same core.
>
> The new Weceem plugin is based on the existing Weceem software, but will
> extend and change the system so that we have a great foundation for the
> unification of the different plugins and future development.
>
> We are going to provide core functionality from all 3 systems in one plugin
> and add documentation or scripts for the migration to transfer existing
> websites into the new plugin.
>
> In the next weeks, we will release Weceem 0.3, which will have the core
> concepts implemented, that are needed for the integration. The following
> release will have the amin functionality from the 3 plugins integrated,
> included a sophisticated menu system, complete support for Blogs and Wikis
> and more.
>
> We believe that this is an important step for the Grails community and we
> hope that this will increase the adoption of a "unified" Grails CMS.
>
> Feel free to join the growing community or jump right into development:
>
> - download and checkout the current development (http://www.weceem.org/)
> - ask questions in our forum (http://forums.jcatalog.com/)
> - check tickets, bugs and feature requests (http://jira.jcatalog.com/)
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Stephan Albers,  http://www.jcatalog.com
> Scott Burch,  http://www.smartwebsystems.biz
> David Cherry,  http://www.thecoderscorner.com
> Viktor Fedorov,  http://www.jcatalog.com
> Marc Palmer,  http://www.anyware.co.uk
>
> http://www.weceem.org

Viele Grüße / Best regards, Björn Wilmsmann
Geschäftsführer / CEO

----------------------
MetaSieve GmbH

Universitätsstr. 142
D-44799 Bochum
Germany

Phone: +49-(0)234-7089300
Mobile: +49-(0)151-25209060
Fax: +49-(0)30-46999-1267

E-mail: [hidden email]
http://www.metasieve.com/

Amtsgericht Bochum, HRB 12288

Re: [ANN] Grails CMSs join forces

Jeremy Flowers
Hi Stephan.
I'd love to join this project and help out.
CMS really interests me, it's something I could definitely use for my Grails portal.
You ought to be looking at Party Time too. Seymores Cakes (@Seymores) is your man here.

I'm also looking into:
1) C2D (source Grailspodcast 85). Your contact here is Gautam Arora (@gautam) 1 2 which I believe will be able to facilitate Skype style conversations.
I need to see if you can get into the realm of conference style calling and recording conversations as MP3 for posterity.

2) Google Wave, Google Talk/XMPP/Jabber etc. A good contact for Google Wave is Daniel Graversen (@dgraversen) and his post (source Grailspodcast 91).

3) For forums, I have a few ideas:
a) I really like the Jive software implementation Manning use for their forums. See here for an example implementation. Willie Wheeler (@williewheeler) who I've been helping do a tech review for Spring in Practice  has a ton of useful snippets that could manifest themselves as plug-ins including the forums idea.
b) @daveklein indicated in our exchanges of emails a Grails forum plugin may be on the way too.
c) Finally there is a Groovy forum implementation. Christian Helmbold and Sven Lange (@sveni) are amongst the developers of this project.

4) I've also joined the London Drupal  Meetup group to see what's going on with Drupal modules and see if we can either integrate stuff this way via the PHP plug-in directly, which uses Quercus (source Grailspodcast 77). Ming-Fai  Ma is thee guy behind the PHP Plug-in.
Possibly I may port stuff over to Grails if there's some cool functionality that would operate faster in Java/Groovy in due course.

I'm waiting for a new Macbook Pro to arrive from Amazon and begin installing Grails and start blogging/videoing development process with Screenflow and hosting in a Wordpress blog via Youtube or Google video.
Regards, Jeremy
gr8fanboy
Twitter
LinkedIn
Meetup
Skype : j.g.flowers

Re: [ANN] Grails CMSs join forces

Adam Evans
I've got quite a large experience with Drupal, a member of the UK Drupal NW group and recently did a number of talks at the UK Drupal camp which had roughly 100 people attending.

Drupal is a good example of how things can be built modularly using a limited number of hooks / endpoints.

Forums for example are simply a content type with comments and the use taxonomy to provide the hierarchy structure.  Nice and simple, grails now has a hierarchicle taxonomy plugin and a commendable plugin.

If WeCeem can provide endpoints which allows the app to be extended in the way Drupal does it will be a massive success. With the drupal hooks you can do pretty much anything to extend the system without touching core functionality. http://api.drupal.org/api/search/6/hook_

As what's worth porting from Drupal to WeCeem, just view the drupal modules sorted by popularity http://drupal.org/project/modules?filters=drupal_core%3A87&solrsort=sis_project_release_usage%20desc  . From the list I'd say as a extensive drupal user and also grails developer it'd be nice for Weceem to provide
Token (http://drupal.org/project/token)
Pathauto (http://drupal.org/project/pathauto)
ImageCache (http://drupal.org/project/imagecache)
MetaTags aka NodeWords

Things like views / cck Drupal modules are ok as a end user cms, weceem as a developer cms and having GORM behind it cck / views are just nice to haves but then you have the problem config for these are stored in the database and editable by end users without being tested .

My reservation with WeCeem is that templates / widgets are content stored in the database. These are generally things developers create, they do not change or only change on new versions of a site being deployed and end users should stay well away from them therefore I think these should be on the filesystem so can be version controlled and also easily edited by a developer in whatever IDE you choose and unit tested. I've posted about this on the WeCeem forum and from the response I got do not think how widgets / templates are currently handled will change. Storing everything as content from a engineering point of view is nice, storing widgets (blocks) and templates as content in a practical environment is a pain based on experience of working in a team of 20 developers deploying CMS sites daily of various sizes. You can store templates / widgets to a degree in the database with Drupal, I've made it a rule that non of our developers do based on past experience.

JG Flowers wrote

Regards, Jeremy

Re: [ANN] Grails CMSs join forces

Jeremy Flowers
I also meant to mention yesterday, there is another Grails CMS Plugin too. Stitches
Phillip Rhodes (@rhodebump).
He has Drupal experience too. Here is his website.
I really like the layout of his site.

gr8fanboy
Twitter
LinkedIn
Meetup
Skype : j.g.flowers

Re: [ANN] Grails CMSs join forces

Nils Breunese-2
JG Flowers wrote:

> I also meant to mention yesterday, there is another Grails CMS Plugin too.
> http://grails.org/plugin/stitches Stitches

Ah, there I found that the stitches plugin apparently doesn't install
its dependencies and I needed to install them myself. After following
the installation instructions at
http://www.philliprhodes.com/content/stitches-installation I got a bunch
of error messages when starting the project.

It's nice to see all this CMS activity around Grails, but I'm afraid the
efforts are not mature enough yet for our needs. Keep up the good work
though, and merging the efforts sounds like a good plan!

 > He has Drupal experience too. Here is his  http://philliprhodes.com/
website
 > .
> I really like the layout of his site.

Looks like the default Drupal theme to me, right?

Nils Breunese.

12