[ANN] Groovy Weekly #15

Guillaume Laforge-2
Hi all,

On this April's fool day, I'm happy to deliver the latest news of the Groovy ecosystem:

Keep on Groovy-ing!

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
Pivotal, Inc.

Re: [ANN] Groovy Weekly #15

lucastex
to believe, or not to believe?

:D

Thanks Guillaume!

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 5:00 PM, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

On this April's fool day, I'm happy to deliver the latest news of the Groovy ecosystem:

Keep on Groovy-ing!

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
Pivotal, Inc.

You've received this message because you've subscribed to the Gaelyk Google Group.
To send an email to the group, please write to: [hidden email]
To unsuscribe from this group: [hidden email]
To show more options: http://groups.google.fr/group/gaelyk?hl=en

---

REST & GORM - Experiences using Grails in a micro-service architecture.

arcseldon
Hi all,

There was interesting REST / Microservices related Greach 2014 presentation on the Groovy weekly newsletter.

Worth checking out - having been through similar initiatives I thought it was a good reflection of our experiences to some extent. And main interest in using Grails - REST and GORM. The trend is definitely towards lighter services exposed via REST, and UI will become increasingly SPA type based, potentially detaching that responsibility from Grails. Therefore, CORS, and an easy mechanism to handle Security API tokens is a must.

Seems a lot of people are asking the same question:

— Correct size of micro services
— Pure REST vs RESTful
— Security: Centralized vs Decentralized

Would like to add 2 more things:

1). Although Grails latest versions, in their current incarnation, are still heavy weight full stacks, it is appropriate to use them for, and address them in certain contexts as being “Micro-services”. Again, as the presentation points out, that is really down to what your own definition of Microservice is. Appreciate we are still not at Spring Boot equivalence yet.

2). Think there is still a need for a simple REST plugin for API Tokens. Something people can use to avoid Cross Site Request Forgery and so on but as easy to get going with as Basic Authentication. Think a lot of developers would just like to see a Burt Beckwith extension to Spring Security Core 2, lightweight, no-brainer to get started with. (Appreciate there is a rest security api plugin out there, but having already setup spring security 2, and having to fiddle about with memcached etc, just be more preferable to have it as an opt in with the main security package imho.

Certainly be interested to hear what others think if you are thinking about, or already building out REST services / micro services with Grails.