[ANN] New project for Grails HOWTOs

pledbrook
Hi,

I've created a new project for managing standalone HOWTO guides for Grails:

    https://github.com/pledbrook/grails-howtos

The README on that page explains how to build them, so I'll stick to
explaining the intention here.

Tomas suggested that we do something similar to Rails Guides some time
ago. This is a result of that suggestion. The idea is to have a
community-maintained set of single-purpose, standalone guides that
complement the existing Grails user guide. For example, one could be a
practical guide to deployment, perhaps even specific to a particular
container. In effect they would be like extended blog posts.

If you're interested in contributing something, then just request
access to the pledbrook/grails-howtos repository as explained in the
README. You'll then be able to commit directly. Be aware that
"community-maintained" means that editorial control lies with the
community too!

Let me know what you think,

Peter

--
Peter Ledbrook
Grails Advocate

The Journey Is The Reward.

Re: [ANN] New project for Grails HOWTOs

John Fletcher-3
I just deployed my first real (but tiny) Rails app and the guides helped me immensely - they are very well written and very helpful, to be able to do something similar would be great. That said, they are the only documentation apart from the API, whereas Grails has the reference guide already, so we might find that the exact nature of our Grails guides differs somewhat.

Having read the readme I am now fully aware of how to create a guide, but have no indication of what will be done with my work nor who will read it or how they will be able to do so?

John

You're old enough to make your own decisions about the environment without me telling you what you should and shouldn't print. But if you do print, I hope this signature doesn't cause the message to go onto an additional page. Because that would be kind of stupid, wouldn't it?

Re: [ANN] New project for Grails HOWTOs

pledbrook
> Having read the readme I am now fully aware of how to create a guide, but
> have no indication of what will be done with my work nor who will read it or
> how they will be able to do so?

I've been thinking a little about this. Probably initially they will
be published via GitHub Pages, but I'd like to get some consensus on
moving them to the grails.org domain or creating a new one.

But before publishing anything, we need at least one valid article,
some styling for the docs, and an index page for linking to the
individual HOWTOs. Also, any feedback on how people would like to
handle attribution and the like is more than welcome. And we'll need
to decide on a license for the content, such as one of the Creative
Commons licenses.

Peter

--
Peter Ledbrook
Grails Advocate

Re: [ANN] New project for Grails HOWTOs

Vithun Kumar
Hey Peter,

Can you grant me access to the project. I'm unable to message you on GitHub (it says that you have not provided an email address). My username is 'vithun'.

Vithun

On 12 Jan 2012, at 09:48, Peter Ledbrook wrote:

>> Having read the readme I am now fully aware of how to create a guide, but
>> have no indication of what will be done with my work nor who will read it or
>> how they will be able to do so?
>
> I've been thinking a little about this. Probably initially they will
> be published via GitHub Pages, but I'd like to get some consensus on
> moving them to the grails.org domain or creating a new one.
>
> But before publishing anything, we need at least one valid article,
> some styling for the docs, and an index page for linking to the
> individual HOWTOs. Also, any feedback on how people would like to
> handle attribution and the like is more than welcome. And we'll need
> to decide on a license for the content, such as one of the Creative
> Commons licenses.
>
> Peter
>
> --
> Peter Ledbrook
> Grails Advocate
> SpringSource - A Division of VMware

Re: [ANN] New project for Grails HOWTOs

pledbrook
> Can you grant me access to the project. I'm unable to message you on GitHub (it says that you have not provided an email address). My username is 'vithun'.

I blame GitHub entirely for this. If you got to your notifications and
click on Compose Message, you can send an internal GitHub message. I
have no idea why the ’message' link on profiles attempts an email
instead. Makes no sense to me.

Peter

--
Peter Ledbrook
Grails Advocate

Re: [ANN] New project for Grails HOWTOs

pledbrook
> I've created a new project for managing standalone HOWTO guides for Grails:
>
>    https://github.com/pledbrook/grails-howtos
>
> The README on that page explains how to build them, so I'll stick to
> explaining the intention here.

The build file can now publish the guides direct to GitHub Pages here:

    http://pledbrook.github.com/grails-howtos/

Only I can publish at the moment, but I want to set up a Hudson build
that automatically publishes the HTML when the source changes.

Still looking for some styling folks!

Peter

--
Peter Ledbrook