ANN: Platform-Core 1.0.M3 Released

Marc Palmer-2
It's been a while in the making, but Platform Core 1.0.M3 is now released to the Grails plugin repo.

What happened to 1.0.M2 I hear you ask? The answer is a bad case of premature publication. It can affect anybody when they least expect it. It's not possible to re-release over a non-snapshot, so say "hello" to our new friend M3.

This is a great release because it brings the public APIs close to completion, after incessant hours spent arguing over the details amongst us, especially Events. We have truly been round the houses on this several times.

These APIs really matter to us because we hope they will underpin a whole new era of amazing Grails plugins.

New: Events API. Send and receive events across plugin and application boundaries, namespaced, asynchronous or synchronous, and abstracted from any specific provider.

New: Navigation API. Use a DSL to declare the navigation structures of your application using conventions, and tags to render menus. A single interface for plugins to use to expose their controllers.

New: Plugin-namespaced session, request and flash attributes. Never suffer or think again about potential key clashes across plugins and app.

New: Namespaced i18n messages using the p:text tag. GSPs from plugins using this will be guaranteed to use safe i18n key codes. All platform UI extension tags have been updated to use this mechanism.

Updated: Improved styling of /platform/ debug pages and a fun little treat for Mac users.

Updated: miscellaneous fixes, clarifications and updates to UI extension tags and helpers.

The release also includes lots more documentation than we used to have, including Stéphane's cunning new Code highlighting mod to grails-doc. Obviously there's always room for improvement, but this is a great start.

We're really excited about this release as all the key APIs are there to facilitate a whole load of other releases we have in the pipeline; events-si (Spring Integration), events-push (websockets and SSE), platform-ui, fresh-security and updates to email-confirmation, invitation-only and others!

This code is also already in production, and the APIS as they stand should be stable now. The final M4 milestone is planned to formalise the Injections API, and add a slew of "out of the box events" around Security and Grails behaviours. Maybe Conventions API too if we're lucky, but we want to get to a final 1.0 as quickly as we can, and there's a fair bit of work left to do (not least of all, getting good test coverage).

Thanks for trying it out. Spread the word!

Source: http://github.com/grailsrocks/grails-platform-core
Docs: http://grailsrocks.github.com/grails-platform-core

~ ~ ~
Marc Palmer
Freelancer (Grails/Groovy/Java/UX)

I offer commercial support for Grails plugins from as low as $50/mo.
For details see: http://grailsrocks.com

Blog: http://www.anyware.co.uk | Resumé: http://www.anyware.co.uk/marc
Contributor @ http://grails.org |  Founder @ http://noticelocal.com
Developer @ http://weceem.org | Member @ http://spottymushroom.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/wangjammer5

Re: ANN: Platform-Core 1.0.M3 Released

Bernard O'Neill

Been trying core+events-si+events-push and ran into issues (all 1.0M2-snap).
I was able to get core+events-si working (thanks to Stéphane's G&GUG talk) and it was beautiful, but when I added push I had issues with eventAsync.
I will try the new release tonight.

Great work and many thanks! .. and of course, thanks to the Grails team in general - fantastic system.

Re: ANN: Platform-Core 1.0.M3 Released

smaldini
Many thanks :)

One of the most important changes I've done in the last snapshot is the unification of events and eventsAsync method. Be sure to check the doc for further params but now there is only one event method which is by default async.

About push issues, please keep me updated on https://github.com/smaldini/grails-events-push/issues if you can, I'll do max efforts to help there.

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Bernard O'Neill <[hidden email]> wrote:

Been trying core+events-si+events-push and ran into issues (all 1.0M2-snap).
I was able to get core+events-si working (thanks to Stéphane's G&GUG talk) and it was beautiful, but when I added push I had issues with eventAsync.
I will try the new release tonight.

Great work and many thanks! .. and of course, thanks to the Grails team in general - fantastic system.

Re: ANN: Platform-Core 1.0.M3 Released

smaldini
The related doc:
http://grailsrocks.github.com/grails-platform-core/guide/single.html#events

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Stephane Maldini <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

alxndrsn
On 14 August 2012 11:00, Stephane Maldini <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The related doc:
> http://grailsrocks.github.com/grails-platform-core/guide/single.html#events

The links in "More cool stuff with Events Spring Integration and
Events Push" are both broken.

Am I right in thinking that the plugin platform events is for events
internal to the application, and the "events-push" plugin is for
pushing events to clients connecting to the grails app?

Re: ANN: Platform-Core 1.0.M3 Released

pledbrook
> Am I right in thinking that the plugin platform events is for events
> internal to the application, and the "events-push" plugin is for
> pushing events to clients connecting to the grails app?

So platform-core provides both the Events API and a default
implementation. The events-si plugin replaces that implementation with
one based on Spring Integratin.

events-push extends the event bus to the client via the Atmosphere
library. You can control exactly which events go to the browser, and
of course Javascript in the browser can send events on the event bus
as well.

Hope that helps,

Peter

PS Congratulations to Marc and Stéphane for getting this release out

--
Peter Ledbrook
Developer Advocate

Thanks for the feedback, about implementations Peter said everything, you can find similar explain here http://grailsrocks.github.com/grails-platform-core/guide/single.html#extensions

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 9:14 AM, Peter Ledbrook <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Am I right in thinking that the plugin platform events is for events
> internal to the application, and the "events-push" plugin is for
> pushing events to clients connecting to the grails app?

So platform-core provides both the Events API and a default
implementation. The events-si plugin replaces that implementation with
one based on Spring Integratin.

events-push extends the event bus to the client via the Atmosphere
library. You can control exactly which events go to the browser, and
of course Javascript in the browser can send events on the event bus
as well.

Hope that helps,

Peter

PS Congratulations to Marc and Stéphane for getting this release out

--
Peter Ledbrook
Developer Advocate
VMware

Stéphane MALDINI

Re: ANN: Platform-Core 1.0.M3 Released

micke_
Hi

Is it possible to have a custom topic executor for a specific topic?
For example if I want one event's messages to be process one by one (pool size 1), but other events messages to be processed concurrently?
I suppose i can effectively achieve this using a Lock though...

Can event listeners raise new events? Not sure now but think I was testing this on M1 and don't think it worked, could be wrong though was a while ago.

Thanks for the good work!

- Micke

On 13 August 2012 21:37, Marc Palmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Inline:

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 9:35 PM, Mikael Andersson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

Is it possible to have a custom topic executor for a specific topic?
For example if I want one event's messages to be process one by one (pool size 1), but other events messages to be processed concurrently?

ATM, tou have to install the Spring Integration implementation (events-si) and customize channel like in https://github.com/smaldini/grailsTodos/blob/master/grails-app/conf/spring/resources.groovy#L11 :
In that example I override the @Listener generated channel using the convention namespace://topic (if zero ns defined you can just use topic). Spring Integration allows you to customize if a channel has to be backed per an executor :
si.channel(id:"myTopic"){
    si.dispatcher("task-executor":"someExecutorBean")
}
(not sure about the notation btw but let me know if you try that and it doesn't work)

I suppose i can effectively achieve this using a Lock though...

Can event listeners raise new events? Not sure now but think I was testing this on M1 and don't think it worked, could be wrong though was a while ago.

It works yes :)

Thanks for the good work!

Many thanks !

[...]

Albers, Stephan
On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 10:47 PM, Stephane Maldini
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> New: Events API. Send and receive events across plugin and application
> boundaries, namespaced, asynchronous or synchronous, and abstracted from any
> specific provider.

A hopefully not too stupid question. Could I use the Event API with
vertx? (http://vertx.io/)
Is there any "natural" relationship between the two?

Thanks,
Stephan Albers

http://www.jcatalog.com/
http://www.weceem.org/
http://www.grailsflow.org/

Re: ANN: Platform-Core 1.0.M3 Released

smaldini
You can, using rabbitmq for instance and the events-si plugin. A colleague is also working on a spring integration mod for vert.x which will cut down the need for an external broker.
I think I'll do a quick hazelcast bridge as well (the technology behind vert.x bus).

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> New: Events API. Send and receive events across plugin and application
> boundaries, namespaced, asynchronous or synchronous, and abstracted from any
> specific provider.

A hopefully not too stupid question. Could I use the Event API with
vertx? (http://vertx.io/)
Is there any "natural" relationship between the two?

Thanks,
Stephan Albers

http://www.jcatalog.com/
http://www.weceem.org/
http://www.grailsflow.org/

Stéphane MALDINI

Fw: [grails-user] ANN: Platform-Core 1.0.M3 Released

Bernard O'Neill

I updated to latest platform-core, events-si and events-push, but eventAsync(..) as shown in the Event-si docs, still gives me an error.
However, the async call did work when I replaced eventAsync(..) call with event(..) in the controller.

Thanks for the updates!

BTW - Is there a best practice for pushing updates to the browser based on a particular Domain object instance rather than all domain objects of that type?

For example, if I do this:
    In Browser:      grailsEvents.on('updatedVacationRequest', function(data){...});
An Event is fired off to the browser on an update to any VacationRequest domain object Instance, right?

What I want to is to update the web page as this particular VacationRequest (say id = "1234") is processed through each of several aync steps.

Can I dynamically generate topics: "updateVacationRequest_id_1234" at runtime?
Otherwise, I guess, the browser has to receive and process every updatedVacationRequest event and then ignore unless data.id = "1234"?

One could imagine a similar example, for say a "near-real-time" stock price/profile web page, where all browsers get updated as stock name = "G2One" changes.
Joe Walker's excellent DWR did something like this, where a "page" (../myApp/stockStatus/name/G2One)  is registered by browsers and can update dynamically on any changes to that "page" via Reverse Ajax updates.

Sorry if the answer is obvious.
Thanks for any help.

Bernie

Re: Fw: [grails-user] ANN: Platform-Core 1.0.M3 Released

smaldini
Replies inline:

Yep, there is only one method now which is by default async, you can still sync through various ways (details on core doc http://grailsrocks.github.com/grails-platform-core/guide/events.html)

Thanks for the updates!

BTW - Is there a best practice for pushing updates to the browser based on a particular Domain object instance rather than all domain objects of that type?

For example, if I do this:
    In Browser:      grailsEvents.on('updatedVacationRequest', function(data){...});
An Event is fired off to the browser on an update to any VacationRequest domain object Instance, right?

What I want to is to update the web page as this particular VacationRequest (say id = "1234") is processed through each of several aync steps.

Can I dynamically generate topics: "updateVacationRequest_id_1234" at runtime?
Otherwise, I guess, the browser has to receive and process every updatedVacationRequest event and then ignore unless data.id = "1234"?

You will have to declare in your Events DSL:

events = {
  "updateVacationRequest_id_*" browser: true
}

Then you can listen and send your event "updateVacationRequest_id_1234" as usual (you won't be notified if updateVacationRequest_id_6789 is sent).

For security filtering you can also use:

def securityService = ctx.securityService
events = {
  "updateVacationRequest_id_*" browser: true, browserFilter: {EventMessage msg, request->
    //msg.event ==
updateVacationRequest_id_1234
    // secirtyService returns true if valid
    securityService.checkPermission(msg.event, request.headers['security_token"])