Quantcast

[ANN] Plugin Minify Resources

Carsten Block
Hi!

Minify Resources Plugin has been released.

This plugin leverages the great Resources Plugin to apply minification to Javascript and CSS resource files. It works well together with cached-resources plugin and zipped-resources plugin. Minification is accomplished using YUI Compressor.

Documentation is available at http://grails.org/plugin/minify-resources
Source Code is available at https://github.com/cblock/minify-resources

Cheers,
Carsten

Re: [ANN] Plugin Minify Resources

Marc Palmer Local

On 30 Jul 2011, at 20:03, Carsten A. Block wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Minify Resources Plugin has been released.
>
> This plugin leverages the great Resources Plugin to apply minification to Javascript and CSS resource files. It works well together with cached-resources plugin and zipped-resources plugin. Minification is accomplished using YUI Compressor.
>
> Documentation is available at http://grails.org/plugin/minify-resources
> Source Code is available at https://github.com/cblock/minify-resources

Hi Carsten,

Thanks for stepping up and doing this!

I have a suggestion… during off-list discussions on this with other authors of (as yet unreleased?) minify plugins, a couple of interop issues came up.

Basically people should be free to choose which impl of css or js minify they want to use. There are many out there with different pros and cons.

It was with this in mind that we suggested (again this was off-list, sorry) that mappers have discrete names, separate mappers for css minify and js minify, and a plugin name convention.

e.g:

Mapper: yui-css-minify
Mapper: yui-js-minify
Plugin: yui-minify-resources

So basically the "provider" is in all mapper and plugin names,

This is why we introduces the mapper "phase" mechanism in 1.0 final, so that resources can still exclude:'minify' but this will exclude any and all of the mappers in that phase.

I hope this make sense.

Marc

~ ~ ~
Marc Palmer
Freelancer (Grails/Groovy/Java)

Founder @ http://noticelocal.com | Developer @ http://weceem.org
Member @ http://spottymushroom.com | Contributor @ http://grails.org
Twitter: http://twitter.com/wangjammer5 | Resumé: http://www.anyware.co.uk/marc/
Blog: http://www.anyware.co.uk | Grails Rocks: http://www.grailsrocks.com

Re: [ANN] Plugin Minify Resources

Carsten Block
Hi Marc,

thanks for your comment. To me that makes a lot of sense. Sorry that I "jumped in" too quickly with my plugin. So how do we proceed?

I suggest something like:

1.) Rewrite plugin to split functionality for css and js minification into two mappers
2.) Rename plugin to yui-minify-resources
3.) Republish plugin under new name
4.) Deprecate (or maybe better delete) minify-resources plugin from plugin repo and grails.org homepage.

I can take care of step 1. - 3. Step 4. has to be accomplished by one of the grails.org admins I guess.

Does that make sense?

Cheers,
Carsten

On 1 Aug 2011, at 12:29, Carsten A. Block wrote:

> Hi Marc,
>
> thanks for your comment. To me that makes a lot of sense. Sorry that I "jumped in" too quickly with my plugin. So how do we proceed?

Nothing to be sorry about, there's just not really a good place to put this info at the moment. The resources plugin page and resources docs I suppose are the place. Very grateful for you taking the effort to publish a plugin - I know the work involved :)

I will get on to that.

> I suggest something like:
>
> 1.) Rewrite plugin to split functionality for css and js minification into two mappers
> 2.) Rename plugin to yui-minify-resources
> 3.) Republish plugin under new name
> 4.) Deprecate (or maybe better delete) minify-resources plugin from plugin repo and grails.org homepage.
>
> I can take care of step 1. - 3. Step 4. has to be accomplished by one of the grails.org admins I guess.
>
> Does that make sense?

Sounds perfect to me. I'm not sure we need to delete it, but at least clear out the portal page docs and explain what happened.

Cheers

~ ~ ~
Marc Palmer
Freelancer (Grails/Groovy/Java)

Founder @ http://noticelocal.com | Developer @ http://weceem.org
Member @ http://spottymushroom.com | Contributor @ http://grails.org
Twitter: http://twitter.com/wangjammer5 | Resumé: http://www.anyware.co.uk/marc/
Blog: http://www.anyware.co.uk | Grails Rocks: http://www.grailsrocks.com

Re: [ANN] Plugin Minify Resources

Carsten Block
Hi Marc,

it took me a while but finally I managed to finish the migration. http://grails.org/plugin/minify-resources now points to http://grails.org/plugin/yui-minify-resources

...and the latter one describes the new yui minify resources plugin.

I changed the plugin such that there is now a separate resource mapper for css and js. Both accept a config attribute "disable" so that one can e.g. only use the css mapper while using the google closure compiler to handle js minification.

I hope that's how you envisioned it.

Also, I opened a pull request for the resources plugin: https://github.com/grails-plugins/grails-resources/pull/6 in an attempt to fix a small typo in the docs that puzzled me for some time...

All the best from Germany,
Carsten