Quantcast

ANN: Spring Security UI Plugin 0.1 released

ANN: Spring Security UI Plugin 0.1 released

burtbeckwith
I've released version 0.1 of the Spring Security UI plugin. It depends on the Spring Security Core plugin and adds CRUD management screens as well as user registration and forgot-password workflows. Like the core plugin, this only works with Grails 1.2.2 and above.

This is an official Grails plugin, so the code is hosted at http://github.com/grails-plugins/grails-spring-security-ui

The standard wiki page is http://grails.org/plugin/spring-security-ui but there is documentation at http://burtbeckwith.github.com/grails-spring-security-ui/docs/manual/

Feedback, suggestions for improvement and contributions are always welcome. Please report any bugs or feature requests on the user list or in JIRA at http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRAILSPLUGINS under the 'Grails-Spring-Security-UI' component.

Mac users will notice that there's a bug with form button rendering where a small native button is rendered as well as the CSS-styled button. I'm working on the issue but didn't want it to hold up the release.

Re: ANN: Spring Security UI Plugin 0.1 released

Sébastien Blanc
This is awesome Burt !

After a quick look into the source I have maybe one
suggestion/question . I noticed that your TagLib produce the HTML
directly with "out << '<TD>foo...</TD> ' " .  Wouldn't be nicer to use
template for these HTML snippets ? It's a clean separation of
concerns, and for the user it's easy to override the default templates
(feature since 1.3 if I can remember). Of is it related to any
performance reasons ?

Great job !

Seb

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Burt Beckwith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've released version 0.1 of the Spring Security UI plugin. It depends on the Spring Security Core plugin and adds CRUD management screens as well as user registration and forgot-password workflows. Like the core plugin, this only works with Grails 1.2.2 and above.
>
> This is an official Grails plugin, so the code is hosted at http://github.com/grails-plugins/grails-spring-security-ui
>
> The standard wiki page is http://grails.org/plugin/spring-security-ui but there is documentation at http://burtbeckwith.github.com/grails-spring-security-ui/docs/manual/
>
> Feedback, suggestions for improvement and contributions are always welcome. Please report any bugs or feature requests on the user list or in JIRA at http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRAILSPLUGINS under the 'Grails-Spring-Security-UI' component.
>
> Mac users will notice that there's a bug with form button rendering where a small native button is rendered as well as the CSS-styled button. I'm working on the issue but didn't want it to hold up the release.
>
> Burt

Re: ANN: Spring Security UI Plugin 0.1 released

burtbeckwith
That's somewhat temporary. I should be using BeanFields or something like that - I just noticed a lot of GSP repetition and moved it into taglibs but it's far from an optimal approach.

Patches are welcome :)

Burt

> This is awesome Burt !
>
> After a quick look into the source I have maybe one
> suggestion/question . I noticed that your TagLib produce the HTML
> directly with "out << '<TD>foo...</TD> ' " .  Wouldn't be nicer to use
> template for these HTML snippets ? It's a clean separation of
> concerns, and for the user it's easy to override the default templates
> (feature since 1.3 if I can remember). Of is it related to any
> performance reasons ?
>
> Great job !
>
> Seb
>

> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Burt Beckwith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I've released version 0.1 of the Spring Security UI plugin. It depends on the Spring Security Core plugin and adds CRUD management screens as well as user registration and forgot-password workflows. Like the core plugin, this only works with Grails 1.2.2 and above.
> >
> > This is an official Grails plugin, so the code is hosted at http://github.com/grails-plugins/grails-spring-security-ui
> >
> > The standard wiki page is http://grails.org/plugin/spring-security-ui but there is documentation at http://burtbeckwith.github.com/grails-spring-security-ui/docs/manual/
> >
> > Feedback, suggestions for improvement and contributions are always welcome. Please report any bugs or feature requests on the user list or in JIRA at http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRAILSPLUGINS under the 'Grails-Spring-Security-UI' component.
> >
> > Mac users will notice that there's a bug with form button rendering where a small native button is rendered as well as the CSS-styled button. I'm working on the issue but didn't want it to hold up the release.
> >
> > Burt

> >    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Re: ANN: Spring Security UI Plugin 0.1 released

sbange
Hello Burt,

First of all: thank you for your work, no more pain with spring security!

I installed the new plugin and tried to call the override script for the
registration process. It fails (somehow...) with this error message:

Error executing script S2uiOverride: No such property: packageDeclaration for class: SimpleTemplateScript1

My script call:

grails s2ui-override register com.stocksquid

In the end I get an empty controller (no class declaration, just a file)
and the registration process works (but no hooks for me), during grails
startup I get this error (of course):

[main] ERROR commons.DefaultGrailsApplication  - The class [com.stocksquid.RegisterController] was not found when attempting to load Grails application. Skipping.

I'm quite new to grails, so sorry if this in an obvious one I could have
fixed myself...

The documentation says, that the new login may be pulled in this way:
"You can do this by running grails s2ui-override login", but this won't
work it is "s2ui-override auth" (as the command line states correctly).

Any help for the registration part would be great. I searched JIRA for
this component but did not find any, otherwise I would have filed this
there.

Thanx again, these plugins are very helpfull to me!

Sven.

Re: ANN: Spring Security UI Plugin 0.1 released

burtbeckwith
Sorry about the script - I made some last-minute changes without sufficient testing. I'll do an 0.2 release with this and some other fixes, but for now you can replace the plugin's script (~/.grails/1.3.3/projects/<projectname>/plugins/spring-security-ui-0.1/scripts/S2uiOverride.groovy) with the fixed one: http://github.com/grails-plugins/grails-spring-security-ui/blob/master/scripts/S2uiOverride.groovy

The JIRA component is Grails-Spring-Security-UI btw.

Burt

> Hello Burt,
>
> First of all: thank you for your work, no more pain with spring security!
>
> I installed the new plugin and tried to call the override script for the
> registration process. It fails (somehow...) with this error message:
>
> Error executing script S2uiOverride: No such property: packageDeclaration
> for class: SimpleTemplateScript1
>
> My script call:
>
> grails s2ui-override register com.stocksquid
>
> In the end I get an empty controller (no class declaration, just a file)
> and the registration process works (but no hooks for me), during grails
> startup I get this error (of course):
>
> [main] ERROR commons.DefaultGrailsApplication  - The class
> [com.stocksquid.RegisterController] was not found when attempting to load
> Grails application. Skipping.
>
> I'm quite new to grails, so sorry if this in an obvious one I could have
> fixed myself...
>
> The documentation says, that the new login may be pulled in this way:
> "You can do this by running grails s2ui-override login", but this won't
> work it is "s2ui-override auth" (as the command line states correctly).
>
> Any help for the registration part would be great. I searched JIRA for
> this component but did not find any, otherwise I would have filed this
> there.
>
> Thanx again, these plugins are very helpfull to me!
>
> Sven.

Re: ANN: Spring Security UI Plugin 0.1 released

sbange
Hello Burt,

Thanks for your (very fast) response.

Just found it myself: templateAttributes.packageDeclaration is needed by
RegisterController template (and learned a bit about plugins and file
locations, nice :-)).

Found the JIRA component, looked for "Unresolved: By Component"
before, well...

Thanks again,
Sven.

--
Sven Bange
fon 0177 8383277

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Burt Beckwith <burt@burtbeckwith.com> wrote:
> I've released version 0.1 of the Spring Security UI plugin. It depends on the Spring Security Core plugin and adds CRUD management screens as well as user registration and forgot-password workflows. Like the core plugin, this only works with Grails 1.2.2 and above.
>
> This is an official Grails plugin, so the code is hosted at http://github.com/grails-plugins/grails-spring-security-ui
>
> The standard wiki page is http://grails.org/plugin/spring-security-ui but there is documentation at http://burtbeckwith.github.com/grails-spring-security-ui/docs/manual/
>
> Feedback, suggestions for improvement and contributions are always welcome. Please report any bugs or feature requests on the user list or in JIRA at http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRAILSPLUGINS under the 'Grails-Spring-Security-UI' component.
>
> Mac users will notice that there's a bug with form button rendering where a small native button is rendered as well as the CSS-styled button. I'm working on the issue but didn't want it to hold up the release.
>
> Burt Hi Burt,

Thank you very much for this plugin that was requested and expected by many of us.

I might not use this plugin in the coming future because I am currently using the great Nimble plugin based on Apache Shiro and I don't plan to migrate for the moment.
However, as a Nimble user, I would like to give you some insights about the drawbacks of nimble ui that were quite annoying for me and that could have been avoided if designed from the beginning.

1- i18 : From Nimble 0.4, i18 has been integrated into the ui but it was too late for me (I am using nimble 0.3). I am saying this because according to Sebastien's message together with documentation, it seems that messages are hard-coded or into the config (like grails.plugins.springsecurity.ui.register.emailBody). This is a very bad idea. Messages are not i18 localized and in any case 90% of your plugin users will need to customize the email template (to integrate their company logos for instance). However, I second Sebastien's suggestion about using template that could be called according to the current language and customized very easily. At the end, this is less work for the plugin author and it is much more flexible for the plugin users.
If you need, I can give you the code I have written allowing to call gsp templates according to the current language. For instance, _login_fr.gsp is called if 'fr' is the current request language

2 - Custumization :  Whatever you do, someone will have to override your controller behaviour for including some other validation stuff. I am not using spring security plugin, so I don't know if it is possible easily or not (like by using mixin controllers) but if not, this is critical.

This was my 2 cents.

fabien7474
Sébastien Blanc wrote
This is awesome Burt !

After a quick look into the source I have maybe one
suggestion/question . I noticed that your TagLib produce the HTML
directly with "out << '
foo...

Re: ANN: Spring Security UI Plugin 0.1 released

Scholle
Hi, I am currently testing the Spring Security Core / UI Plugin and it works great. I also tried the OpenID extension and I would like to know whether there is a scheduled release date for the Spring Security Facebook plugin?

Re: ANN: Spring Security UI Plugin 0.1 released

burtbeckwith
I'm working on it, but I don't have a good estimate for a release date. Hopefully a few weeks. The big issue is scope - we're planning on enhancing overall Facebook support for Grails (and other social features) so it's not clear how much should go into a security plugin and how much will be in other plugins.

Burt

> Hi, I am currently testing the Spring Security Core / UI Plugin and it works
> great. I also tried the OpenID extension and I would like to know whether
> there is a scheduled release date for the Spring Security Facebook plugin?

Re: ANN: Spring Security UI Plugin 0.1 released

Sébastien Blanc
Maybe I am wrong but Facebook uses OpenId already , is the Spring sec
openId plugin not covering already the "Facebook connect feature" ? I
also saw in the plugin portal that there is a Facebook connect plugin
but after a quick look at the source code  integration with Spring
Security doesn't looks like trivial

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 7:09 PM, Burt Beckwith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm working on it, but I don't have a good estimate for a release date. Hopefully a few weeks. The big issue is scope - we're planning on enhancing overall Facebook support for Grails (and other social features) so it's not clear how much should go into a security plugin and how much will be in other plugins.
>
> Burt
>

>> Hi, I am currently testing the Spring Security Core / UI Plugin and it works
>> great. I also tried the OpenID extension and I would like to know whether
>> there is a scheduled release date for the Spring Security Facebook plugin?

Re: ANN: Spring Security UI Plugin 0.1 released

burtbeckwith
Facebook supports OpenID but Facebook Connect is their own authentication scheme and now also supports a variant of OAuth 2.0. See http://developers.facebook.com/docs/guides/web

Burt

> Maybe I am wrong but Facebook uses OpenId already , is the Spring sec
> openId plugin not covering already the "Facebook connect feature" ? I
> also saw in the plugin portal that there is a Facebook connect plugin
> but after a quick look at the source code  integration with Spring
> Security doesn't looks like trivial
>

> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 7:09 PM, Burt Beckwith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I'm working on it, but I don't have a good estimate for a release date. Hopefully a few weeks. The big issue is scope - we're planning on enhancing overall Facebook support for Grails (and other social features) so it's not clear how much should go into a security plugin and how much will be in other plugins.
> >
> > Burt
> >

> >> Hi, I am currently testing the Spring Security Core / UI Plugin and it works
> >> great. I also tried the OpenID extension and I would like to know whether
> >> there is a scheduled release date for the Spring Security Facebook plugin?

Re: ANN: Spring Security UI Plugin 0.1 released

jayanth
I am trying to integrate spring security ui plugin into my application, but unfortunately couldnt find the manual/docs for it.
The github link is not working. Could you please quickly direct me to the updated link.

Thanks,
Jayanth.