Advice on how to integrate a Grails app and pieces of a Wordpress blog

Advice on how to integrate a Grails app and pieces of a Wordpress blog

marcopas
Hi there,

i have a challenge on my hand that consists of integrating parts of a Wordpress Blog (header & footer) in a Grails application. The current brochureware website is created using Wordpress and has a nice look and feel.

The website has a header and footer part that i need to reuse (or even enrich) in the Grails application.

Any advice on what a good approach would be to reuse the header and footer from a Wordpress website in a Grails app? The reason for reuse is that content managers are comfortable in adding content to the Wordpress website and modifying menu items. We would like to keep it like that.

Marco Pas

Re: Advice on how to integrate a Grails app and pieces of a Wordpress blog

Dean Del Ponte-2
Is it responsive?

If not, you should be able to easily grab the generated html and css from the Wordpress site and incorporate it into your grails app so that users believe it is part of the wordpress site.

Marco Pas

Re: Advice on how to integrate a Grails app and pieces of a Wordpress blog

marcopas
It is indeed a responsive site. How can i grab the html and inject the grails app into it?
The example looks exactly what i am trying to achieve! Thanks for that.

On 10 Feb 2014 at 17:38:42, Dean Del Ponte ([hidden email]) wrote:

> Is it responsive?
>
> If not, you should be able to easily grab the generated html and
> css from
> the Wordpress site and incorporate it into your grails app so
> that users
> believe it is part of the wordpress site.
>
> I did something similar to this at adrsystems.com
>
> The page http://adrsystems.com/FindNeutral/ is a grails app
>
> The rest of the site is wordpress.
>
> - Dean Del Ponte
>

> On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 3:58 PM, Marco Pas
> wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > i have a challenge on my hand that consists of integrating parts
> of a
> > Wordpress Blog (header & footer) in a Grails application. The
> current
> > brochureware website is created using Wordpress and has a nice
> look and
> > feel.
> >
> > The website has a header and footer part that i need to reuse (or
> even
> > enrich) in the Grails application.
> >
> > Any advice on what a good approach would be to reuse the header
> and footer
> > from a Wordpress website in a Grails app? The reason for reuse
> is that
> > content managers are comfortable in adding content to the Wordpress
> website
> > and modifying menu items. We would like to keep it like that.
> >
> > --
> > Marco Pas

Re: Advice on how to integrate a Grails app and pieces of a Wordpress blog

Dean Del Ponte-2
I did it manually by viewing the wordpress source in my browser, downloading necessary files and reconstructing within a grails app.

I'm sure there's a more efficient way, but that's what worked for me.

It just takes time and patience.

- Dean Del Ponte

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 2:17 PM, Marco Pas <[hidden email]> wrote:
It is indeed a responsive site. How can i grab the html and inject the grails app into it?
The example looks exactly what i am trying to achieve! Thanks for that.

On 10 Feb 2014 at 17:38:42, Dean Del Ponte ([hidden email]) wrote:

> Is it responsive?
>
> If not, you should be able to easily grab the generated html and
> css from
> the Wordpress site and incorporate it into your grails app so
> that users
> believe it is part of the wordpress site.
>
> I did something similar to this at adrsystems.com
>
> The page http://adrsystems.com/FindNeutral/ is a grails app
>
> The rest of the site is wordpress.
>
> - Dean Del Ponte
>

> On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 3:58 PM, Marco Pas
> wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > i have a challenge on my hand that consists of integrating parts
> of a
> > Wordpress Blog (header & footer) in a Grails application. The
> current
> > brochureware website is created using Wordpress and has a nice
> look and
> > feel.
> >
> > The website has a header and footer part that i need to reuse (or
> even
> > enrich) in the Grails application.
> >
> > Any advice on what a good approach would be to reuse the header
> and footer
> > from a Wordpress website in a Grails app? The reason for reuse
> is that
> > content managers are comfortable in adding content to the Wordpress
> website
> > and modifying menu items. We would like to keep it like that.
> >
> > --
> > Marco Pas

Re: Advice on how to integrate a Grails app and pieces of a Wordpress blog

anders
We are doing something similar at our website where we reuse our webshop(Shopify) CMS system to feed content into our Grails website. The solution works by fetching raw html data via http from the grails app and has proven extremely flexible for our use case where content writers don't have the tech skills to update our grails pages directly.

For an example check these links:
Link 1: Pure grails app (no data from external CMS): http://deeple.com/fromCMS/getPage
Link 2: Same link but with data from CMS system: http://deeple.com/fromCMS/getPage/?resCMS=/pages/about-deeple
Link 3: Raw data from CMS(fetched from grails via http):shop.deeple.com/pages/about-deeple

The code was done quite quickly - and is getting a bit more complicated than might be needed in your case due to the caching we have implementend. But hope you'll get the idea despite of this from the two files below:

FromCMSController.groovy

FromCMSService.groovy