Advice on which Single Sign On solution to use for a Grails + Play application?

Advice on which Single Sign On solution to use for a Grails + Play application?

marcopas
Hi there,

we are in a greenfield and need to do some single sign on solution between a Grails application that manages our users etc and a Scala/Play application.

In basic those 2 applications need to share information about the user and we would like to use Grails for administration of our users (store them in sql database) and after successful login via the Grails app we woud like for forward to the Scala/Play application.

I am wondering what the most straightforward and simple solution would be to achieve this.
Any hints and tips are appreciated!

We are already using the Spring Security plugin for standard authorization etc.

Marco Pas

Re: Advice on which Single Sign On solution to use for a Grails + Play application?

roos
I recommend using the Jasig CAS Server (http://www.jasig.org/cas ) as the SSO solution.
If your Grails app hosts the User credentials and attributes, I recommend to write a CAS AuthenticationHandler which authenticates the user against the Grails app (Rest or SOAP). Part of the response could be all necessary user attributes on successful authentication.
Or you use the stock CAS DatabaseAuthenticationHandler to authenticate in CAS itself and to retrieve the users’s attributes.

Spring Security already supports CAS.
For Scala CAS support, see https://wiki.jasig.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=57573643

Robert

Am 04.02.2014 um 14:20 schrieb Marco Pas <[hidden email]>:

> Hi there,
>
> we are in a greenfield and need to do some single sign on solution between a Grails application that manages our users etc and a Scala/Play application.
>
> In basic those 2 applications need to share information about the user and we would like to use Grails for administration of our users (store them in sql database) and after successful login via the Grails app we woud like for forward to the Scala/Play application.
>
> I am wondering what the most straightforward and simple solution would be to achieve this.
> Any hints and tips are appreciated!
>
> We are already using the Spring Security plugin for standard authorization etc.
>
> --
> Marco Pas

Re: Advice on which Single Sign On solution to use for a Grails + Play application?

marcopas
Thanks for the quick reply, do you have by any change an example of a CAS AuthenticationHandler?

Marco Pas

Re: Advice on which Single Sign On solution to use for a Grails + Play application?

roos
A while ago I posted an example for a SOAP based CAS AuthenticationHandler which uses JaxB marshalling for consuming a WSDL

Am 04.02.2014 um 14:53 schrieb Marco Pas <[hidden email]>:

Thanks for the quick reply, do you have by any change an example of a CAS AuthenticationHandler?

2014-02-04 Robert Oschwald <[hidden email]>:
I recommend using the Jasig CAS Server (http://www.jasig.org/cas ) as the SSO solution.
If your Grails app hosts the User credentials and attributes, I recommend to write a CAS AuthenticationHandler which authenticates the user against the Grails app (Rest or SOAP). Part of the response could be all necessary user attributes on successful authentication.
Or you use the stock CAS DatabaseAuthenticationHandler to authenticate in CAS itself and to retrieve the users’s attributes.

Spring Security already supports CAS.
For Scala CAS support, see https://wiki.jasig.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=57573643

Robert

Am 04.02.2014 um 14:20 schrieb Marco Pas <[hidden email]>:

> Hi there,
>
> we are in a greenfield and need to do some single sign on solution between a Grails application that manages our users etc and a Scala/Play application.
>
> In basic those 2 applications need to share information about the user and we would like to use Grails for administration of our users (store them in sql database) and after successful login via the Grails app we woud like for forward to the Scala/Play application.
>
> I am wondering what the most straightforward and simple solution would be to achieve this.
> Any hints and tips are appreciated!
>
> We are already using the Spring Security plugin for standard authorization etc.
>
> --
> Marco Pas

Marco Pas