Advise on hosting

123

Advise on hosting

steviemo
Hi folks,

I was looking at creating a small web application (blogs and info just) and was looking for some advise into the amount of JVM heap space i would require for such an application?

Planet-hosting.net has a basic package with 50MB Heap Space.

Would this application run ok?

Thanks,
Stephen

RE: Advise on hosting

netwiser
Use Amazon AWS, here is the link, it offers one year free for new customer

As part of AWS’s Free Usage Tier, new AWS customers can get started with Amazon EC2 for free. Upon sign-up, new AWS customers receive the following EC2 services each month for one year:
  • 750 hours of EC2 running Linux/Unix Micro instance usage
  • 750 hours of Elastic Load Balancing plus 15 GB data processing
  • 10 GB of Amazon Elastic Block Storage (EBS) plus 1 million IOs, 1 GB snapshot storage, 10,000 snapshot Get Requests and 1,000 snapshot Put Requests
  • 15 GB of bandwidth in and 15 GB of bandwidth out aggregated across all AWS services

With these specs:

Micro Instance

613 MB memory
Up to 2 EC2 Compute Units (for short periodic bursts)
EBS storage only
32-bit or 64-bit platform
I/O Performance: Low
API name: t1.micro

> Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 10:38:08 -0800
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [grails-user] Advise on hosting
>

> Hi folks,
>
> I was looking at creating a small web application (blogs and info just) and
> was looking for some advise into the amount of JVM heap space i would
> require for such an application?
>
> Planet-hosting.net has a basic package with 50MB Heap Space.
>
> Would this application run ok?
>
> Thanks,
> Stephen

Re: Advise on hosting

burtbeckwith
Absolutely not - 50MB isn't enough for much at all. That artificially low price just lures you to their site and when it fails miserably you upgrade to what they wanted you to pay in the first place. This would be true for all web apps but more so for Grails since it needs more memory than non-Groovy apps.

For the same price you can get a 512MB heap at http://www.enjoyvps.com/unmanaged-linux-openvz-vps/ or 1GB if you pay $19/month. I've been running a small Grails app in the 512MB plan for a while with no issues.

There's also the new Amazon Elastic Beanstalk which people seem to have had success running Grails with: http://aws.amazon.com/elasticbeanstalk/

Burt

> Hi folks,
>
> I was looking at creating a small web application (blogs and info just) and
> was looking for some advise into the amount of JVM heap space i would
> require for such an application?
>
> Planet-hosting.net has a basic package with 50MB Heap Space.
>
> Would this application run ok?
>
> Thanks,
> Stephen

Re: Advise on hosting

tomas lin
Use Amazon Elastic Beanstalk instead of standard micro instance -

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 6:46 PM, James Zhang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Use Amazon AWS, here is the link, it offers one year free for new customer
> As part of AWS’s Free Usage Tier, new AWS customers can get started with
> Amazon EC2 for free. Upon sign-up, new AWS customers receive the
> following EC2 services each month for one year:
>
> 750 hours of EC2 running Linux/Unix Micro instance usage
> 750 hours of Elastic Load Balancing plus 15 GB data processing
> 10 GB of Amazon Elastic Block Storage (EBS) plus 1 million IOs, 1 GB
> snapshot storage, 10,000 snapshot Get Requests and 1,000 snapshot Put
> Requests
> 15 GB of bandwidth in and 15 GB of bandwidth out aggregated across
> all AWS services
>
> With these specs:
>
> Micro Instance
>
> 613 MB memory
> Up to 2 EC2 Compute Units (for short periodic bursts)
> EBS storage only
> 32-bit or 64-bit platform
> I/O Performance: Low
> API name: t1.micro
>

>> Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 10:38:08 -0800
>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: [grails-user] Advise on hosting
>>

>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I was looking at creating a small web application (blogs and info just)
>> and
>> was looking for some advise into the amount of JVM heap space i would
>> require for such an application?
>>
>> Planet-hosting.net has a basic package with 50MB Heap Space.
>>
>> Would this application run ok?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Stephen
>> --
>>
>> http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Re: Advise on hosting

lucastex
I'd go on Amazon Elastic Beanstalk...

Actually it is just a front end to deploy your java app in one micro instance (default setting, but you can change).
You'll still have to pay for the instance (beanstalk is free)

[]s,

Lucas Frare Teixeira .·.
- [hidden email]
- lucastex.com.br
- blog.lucastex.com
- twitter.com/lucastex

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 4:51 PM, Tomas Lin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Use Amazon Elastic Beanstalk instead of standard micro instance -
On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 6:46 PM, James Zhang <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Use Amazon AWS, here is the link, it offers one year free for new customer
> As part of AWS’s Free Usage Tier, new AWS customers can get started with
> Amazon EC2 for free. Upon sign-up, new AWS customers receive the
> following EC2 services each month for one year:
>
> 750 hours of EC2 running Linux/Unix Micro instance usage
> 750 hours of Elastic Load Balancing plus 15 GB data processing
> 10 GB of Amazon Elastic Block Storage (EBS) plus 1 million IOs, 1 GB
> snapshot storage, 10,000 snapshot Get Requests and 1,000 snapshot Put
> Requests
> 15 GB of bandwidth in and 15 GB of bandwidth out aggregated across
> all AWS services
>
> With these specs:
>
> Micro Instance
>
> 613 MB memory
> Up to 2 EC2 Compute Units (for short periodic bursts)
> EBS storage only
> 32-bit or 64-bit platform
> I/O Performance: Low
> API name: t1.micro
>

>> Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 10:38:08 -0800
>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: [grails-user] Advise on hosting
>>

>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I was looking at creating a small web application (blogs and info just)
>> and
>> was looking for some advise into the amount of JVM heap space i would
>> require for such an application?
>>
>> Planet-hosting.net has a basic package with 50MB Heap Space.
>>
>> Would this application run ok?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Stephen
>> --
>>
>> http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Re: Advise on hosting

tomasz brymora
... speaking of hosting, can anyone share on using eapps.com for Grails project?
Trying to strike some price/performance balance for a small to medium project. Beanstalk might next on the list though.
Thanks.

Actually it is just a front end to deploy your java app in one micro instance (default setting, but you can change).
You'll still have to pay for the instance (beanstalk is free)

[]s,

Lucas Frare Teixeira .·.
- lucastex@...
- lucastex.com.br
- blog.lucastex.com
- twitter.com/lucastex

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 6:46 PM, James Zhang <netwiser@...> wrote:
> Use Amazon AWS, here is the link, it offers one year free for new customer
> As part of AWS’s Free Usage Tier, new AWS customers can get started with
> Amazon EC2 for free. Upon sign-up, new AWS customers receive the
> following EC2 services each month for one year:
>
> 750 hours of EC2 running Linux/Unix Micro instance usage
> 750 hours of Elastic Load Balancing plus 15 GB data processing
> 10 GB of Amazon Elastic Block Storage (EBS) plus 1 million IOs, 1 GB
> snapshot storage, 10,000 snapshot Get Requests and 1,000 snapshot Put
> Requests
> 15 GB of bandwidth in and 15 GB of bandwidth out aggregated across
> all AWS services
>
> With these specs:
>
> Micro Instance
>
> 613 MB memory
> Up to 2 EC2 Compute Units (for short periodic bursts)
> EBS storage only
> 32-bit or 64-bit platform
> I/O Performance: Low
> API name: t1.micro
>

>> Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 10:38:08 -0800
>> From: stephen.dmorrison@...
>> To: user@...
>> Subject: [grails-user] Advise on hosting
>>

>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I was looking at creating a small web application (blogs and info just)
>> and
>> was looking for some advise into the amount of JVM heap space i would
>> require for such an application?
>>
>> Planet-hosting.net has a basic package with 50MB Heap Space.
>>
>> Would this application run ok?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Stephen
>> --
>>
>> http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Re: Advise on hosting

steviemo
Thanks for the replies folks,

the amazon beanstalk plan looks pretty good. Do you think it would get expensive for a grails application?

Also can you register domains with your beanstalk plan?

Re: Advise on hosting

lucastex
> the amazon beanstalk plan looks pretty good. Do you think it would get
> expensive for a grails application?

Not at all, in free tier, you'd have one instance for free... most small apps would run on this free infrastructure with no problems.
I'd go just with another instance for failover...

> Also can you register domains with your beanstalk plan?

You'll have to register in some other place, and update its dns to beanstalk environment

[]s,

Lucas Frare Teixeira .·.
- [hidden email]
- lucastex.com.br
- blog.lucastex.com
- twitter.com/lucastex

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 5:15 PM, steviemo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> 15 GB of bandwidth in and 15 GB of bandwidth out aggregated across
> all AWS services
>
> With these specs:
>
> Micro Instance
>
> 613 MB memory
> Up to 2 EC2 Compute Units (for short periodic bursts)
> EBS storage only
> 32-bit or 64-bit platform
> I/O Performance: Low
> API name: t1.micro
>

>> Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 10:38:08 -0800
>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: [grails-user] Advise on hosting
>>

>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I was looking at creating a small web application (blogs and info just)
>> and
>> was looking for some advise into the amount of JVM heap space i would
>> require for such an application?
>>
>> Planet-hosting.net has a basic package with 50MB Heap Space.

Cmon people, grails.org is just a public wiki...

Go to: http://grails.org/Hosting click "edit" and add the information you want :)

easy as replying to this thread...

:)

Lucas Frare Teixeira .·.
- [hidden email]
- lucastex.com.br
- blog.lucastex.com
- twitter.com/lucastex

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 11:11 PM, Nick Vaidyanathan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Vote  to update Grails.org/hosting based on contents of this thread.

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 6:02 PM, Bradley Booth <[hidden email]> wrote:
Eapps worked fine for a couple small grails apps I have.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 8, 2011, at 12:06 PM, "tomasz brymora" <[hidden email]> wrote:

... speaking of hosting, can anyone share on using eapps.com for Grails project?
Trying to strike some price/performance balance for a small to medium project. Beanstalk might next on the list though.
Thanks.

Actually it is just a front end to deploy your java app in one micro instance (default setting, but you can change).
You'll still have to pay for the instance (beanstalk is free)

[]s,

Lucas Frare Teixeira .·.
- [hidden email]
- lucastex.com.br
- blog.lucastex.com
- twitter.com/lucastex

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 4:51 PM, Tomas Lin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Use Amazon Elastic Beanstalk instead of standard micro instance -
On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 6:46 PM, James Zhang <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Use Amazon AWS, here is the link, it offers one year free for new customer
> As part of AWS’s Free Usage Tier, new AWS customers can get started with
> Amazon EC2 for free. Upon sign-up, new AWS customers receive the
> following EC2 services each month for one year:
>
> 750 hours of EC2 running Linux/Unix Micro instance usage
> 750 hours of Elastic Load Balancing plus 15 GB data processing
> 10 GB of Amazon Elastic Block Storage (EBS) plus 1 million IOs, 1 GB
> snapshot storage, 10,000 snapshot Get Requests and 1,000 snapshot Put
> Requests
> 15 GB of bandwidth in and 15 GB of bandwidth out aggregated across
> all AWS services
>
> With these specs:
>
> Micro Instance
>
> 613 MB memory
> Up to 2 EC2 Compute Units (for short periodic bursts)
> EBS storage only
> 32-bit or 64-bit platform
> I/O Performance: Low
> API name: t1.micro
>

>> Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 10:38:08 -0800
>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: [grails-user] Advise on hosting
>>

>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I was looking at creating a small web application (blogs and info just)
>> and
>> was looking for some advise into the amount of JVM heap space i would
>> require for such an application?
>>
>> Planet-hosting.net has a basic package with 50MB Heap Space.
>>
>> Would this application run ok?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Stephen
>> --
>>
>> http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Re: Advise on hosting

bkane
I haven't tried AWS/Elastic Beanstalk yet, but we have successfully deployed a small grails app to the Rackspace Cloud (http://www.rackspacecloud.com/cloud_hosting_products/servers/pricing/).  We started on one of their 512mb instances at $20/month.  If you are running just the app and a simple DB it works fine. The upgrade process is easy when you want to expand as well.  I did the upgrade from 512mb to 1024mb and it took less than 10 minutes to resize the instance and have everything back up and running.

Rackspace is great if you don't mind doing all the administrative/setup stuff yourself.  Beanstalk and AWS in general give you more options for load balancing, e-mail, storage, etc.  With Rackspace you get more control, but have to do it yourself.  In an evening I had the instance up, installed JDK, Tomcat 6, MySQL on Ubuntu 10.04 and our application deployed and running smoothly.

For our next deployment I will likely try the AWS route so I can get a comparison to the Rackspace experience.

One question for the AWS crowd, how is their customer support?  Rackspace is fantastic, always respond to online chat quickly with reps that actually know what they are talking about.

Brandon

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 8:14 PM, Lucas F. A. Teixeira <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> 15 GB of bandwidth in and 15 GB of bandwidth out aggregated across
> all AWS services
>
> With these specs:
>
> Micro Instance
>
> 613 MB memory
> Up to 2 EC2 Compute Units (for short periodic bursts)
> EBS storage only
> 32-bit or 64-bit platform
> I/O Performance: Low
> API name: t1.micro
>

>> Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 10:38:08 -0800
>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: [grails-user] Advise on hosting
>>

>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I was looking at creating a small web application (blogs and info just)
>> and
>> was looking for some advise into the amount of JVM heap space i would
>> require for such an application?
>>
>> Planet-hosting.net has a basic package with 50MB Heap Space.

Alberto Barcelos
+1 For Rackspace

We have 6 servers there. Their support is fantastic. I Think for small setups it could be a better economic choice than Amazon. There are differences between these two services. I think aws really shines when you want to orchestrate your app using their services. Rackspace is really great too, give it a try, no headaches.

Cheers

Alberto Barcelos

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 11:40 PM, Brandon Kane <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> 15 GB of bandwidth in and 15 GB of bandwidth out aggregated across
> all AWS services
>
> With these specs:
>
> Micro Instance
>
> 613 MB memory
> Up to 2 EC2 Compute Units (for short periodic bursts)
> EBS storage only
> 32-bit or 64-bit platform
> I/O Performance: Low
> API name: t1.micro
>

>> Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 10:38:08 -0800
>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: [grails-user] Advise on hosting
>>

>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I was looking at creating a small web application (blogs and info just)
>> and
>> was looking for some advise into the amount of JVM heap space i would
>> require for such an application?
>>
>> Planet-hosting.net has a basic package with 50MB Heap Space.

virtualeyes
Rackspace is pricey.

For the adventurous: buy your own servers and stick in colo facility of a US-based data center -- usually around $50/1U rackspace (including power, and in my case, a decent chunk of bandwidth)

If you are hosting client sites, then performance-wise you'll obviously blow away any shared hosting setup, and have complete control over environment.

I have a couple of Dell R610s on VMware vSphere (2X 6-core CPU, 16GB RAM, 6X 146GB SCSI) running behind Cisco firewall, (don't have resources yet for a decent SAN, but local SCSIs are plenty fast). Ripping setup, am hoping to get my grails chops up-to-speed and convert smaller client sites from existing PHP framework over to Grails.

p.s. I remember seeing Graeme do a blog in 15 minutes presentation, using GAE -- lot of finger tapping, wait, wait, done yet? ;--)

Re: Advise on hosting

bdrhoa
Where do you colo?
---------------------------
www.maf.org/rhoads
www.ontherhoads.org

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 7:46 PM, virtualeyes <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I've been at Sago Networks in Tampa, Florida for 6 years, mostly for the 24/7 phone support, has been a business-saver on several occasions.

Have thought about moving hosting services northward (to client base in the northeast), but have never found the same mix of pricing & support that you get in the south.

In any case, taking the colo route is an investment, a significant one, but you do gain the benefits of full control and IMO, best possible application performance.  Plus virtualization is the future, not to mention fun ;--)

НА: Re: Advise on hosting

ishe
I like crucialp.com

 > the amazon beanstalk plan looks pretty good. Do you think it would get
> expensive for a grails application?

Not at all, in free tier, you'd have one instance for free... most small
apps would run on this free infrastructure with no problems.
I'd go just with another instance for failover...

> Also can you register domains with your beanstalk plan?

You'll have to register in some other place, and update its dns to beanstalk
environment

[]s,

Lucas Frare Teixeira .·.
- [hidden email]
- lucastex.com.br
- blog.lucastex.com
- twitter.com/lucastex

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 5:15 PM, steviemo <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Thanks for the replies folks,
>
> the amazon beanstalk plan looks pretty good. Do you think it would get
> expensive for a grails application?
>
> Also can you register domains with your beanstalk plan?

Re: Advise on hosting

John Thompson
+1 for beanstalk.

I have Grails deployed via beanstalk for an app under development now.  Beanstalk is managing a micro instance w/grails, and I have a DB instance using small linux (used an Oracle AMI to create DB).  My only problem so far is the redeploy does not work as advertised.  It acts like it deploys, but the old version continues to run.  I just terminate the micro instance & beanstalk auto-deploys a fresh one (with the right version).

I also have two apps running on EC2 via Cloudfoundry in small instances. (One is almost a year old)  Cloudfoundry is *very* easy to use.  Although the could foundry project seems to have gone quiet at Springsource.

Just an observation - my beanstalk app seems more crisp in response than my Cloudfoundry apps.  This is my perception, I have not done any benchmarks.

Can't speak to AWS support. I have not had any interactions with the support team yet.
JT
jts-blog.com

Re: Advise on hosting

steviemo
Sounds good John,

I'm seriously considering beanstalk. Can i ask how you register a
domain to use for your beanstalk instance? I can't see anything on the
AWS website related to registering domain names.
Also, how is the monthly cost fairing on beanstalk?

Thanks,
Stephen

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 9:57 AM, John Thompson [via Grails]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 for beanstalk.
>
> I have Grails deployed via beanstalk for an app under development now.
>  Beanstalk is managing a micro instance w/grails, and I have a DB instance
> using small linux (used an Oracle AMI to create DB).  My only problem so far
> is the redeploy does not work as advertised.  It acts like it deploys, but
> the old version continues to run.  I just terminate the micro instance &
> beanstalk auto-deploys a fresh one (with the right version).
>
> I also have two apps running on EC2 via Cloudfoundry in small instances.
> (One is almost a year old)  Cloudfoundry is *very* easy to use.  Although
> the could foundry project seems to have gone quiet at Springsource.
>
> Just an observation - my beanstalk app seems more crisp in response than my
> Cloudfoundry apps.  This is my perception, I have not done any benchmarks.
>
> Can't speak to AWS support. I have not had any interactions with the support
> team yet.
> JT
> jts-blog.com

Re: Advise on hosting

John Thompson
When you create a beanstalk application you will pick a unique name for your app, which will get registered as <yourapp>.elasticbeanstalk.com, from there you can register an alias cname - grails.yourdomain.com -> <yourapp>.elasticbeanstalk.com

This is how I set it up to route my subdomain to beanstalk.  Not sure how to if you want your root domain pointed there (I'm using a hosting acct on Godaddy for the static content of the root domain).

Beanstalk, one instance is effectively free for one year on a AWS promotion.  For the DB I paid 350 for a 3 year reserved instance. (this is one time fee for the next 3 years), then it will be ~20 per month. (works out to ~30 bucks a month for the 3 year term)

** Also this is important - for the DB - I setup an elastic IP (free as long as the instance is up).  This will give you a name like: ec2-123-123-123-123.compute-1.amazonaws.com (where the 123... is your elastic IP)  Set this as your host name in your datasource url.

When running in ec2, the domain ec2-123-123-123-123.compute-1.amazonaws.com will resolve to a internal AWS IP - which will not count in your data transfer charges.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 for beanstalk.
>
> I have Grails deployed via beanstalk for an app under development now.
>  Beanstalk is managing a micro instance w/grails, and I have a DB instance
> using small linux (used an Oracle AMI to create DB).  My only problem so far
> is the redeploy does not work as advertised.  It acts like it deploys, but
> the old version continues to run.  I just terminate the micro instance &
> beanstalk auto-deploys a fresh one (with the right version).
>
> I also have two apps running on EC2 via Cloudfoundry in small instances.
> (One is almost a year old)  Cloudfoundry is *very* easy to use.  Although
> the could foundry project seems to have gone quiet at Springsource.
>
> Just an observation - my beanstalk app seems more crisp in response than my
> Cloudfoundry apps.  This is my perception, I have not done any benchmarks.
>
> Can't speak to AWS support. I have not had any interactions with the support
> team yet.
> JT
> jts-blog.com

http://grails.1312388.n4.nabble.com/Advise-on-hosting-tp3276494p3296982.html
To unsubscribe from Advise on hosting, click here.

JT
jts-blog.com
123