Any gotchas with JDK 1.7?

John Moore
Having some problems at the moment with a Grails app developed using JDK 1.6, deployed under JDK 1.7. So I'm considering switching to JDK 1.7 for development and moving on from 1.6. Before I do so I just thought I'd check on the list to see whether people's experiences with using JDK 1.7 for Grails (2.0.4) have been positive, or whether there are some things I have to watch out for.

Re: Any gotchas with JDK 1.7?

rlovtangen
Not Grails specific, but we're still on JDK 1.6 due to problems with groovyws. Looks like the code generated on the fly by CXF is not ready for JDK 1.7. Haven't taken the deep dive into the problem yet. Maybe it's easy to get around, or maybe we need to rewrite old code to use groovyws-lite. If you're using groovyws within your Grails application, then watch out for this issue.

Ronny

On Aug 7, 2012, at 8:57 PM, John Moore wrote:

> Having some problems at the moment with a Grails app developed using JDK 1.6,
> deployed under JDK 1.7. So I'm considering switching to JDK 1.7 for
> development and moving on from 1.6. Before I do so I just thought I'd check
> on the list to see whether people's experiences with using JDK 1.7 for
> Grails (2.0.4) have been positive, or whether there are some things I have
> to watch out for.

Re: Any gotchas with JDK 1.7?

Lari Hotari -
This one is a quite rare gotcha:

Custom java.lang.Exception/Throwable sub-classes written in Groovy when
compiled in JDK 6 and run on JDK 7:

Here's a comment about it in Groovy Jira:
https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GROOVY-4838?focusedCommentId=282450&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-282450

The workaround seems to be to either re-compile the exception classes
with JDK7 or to rewrite the exception classes in Java. This might be a
problem if the problem is in a 3rd party library.

Lari

07.08.2012 21:57, John Moore wrote:

> Having some problems at the moment with a Grails app developed using JDK 1.6,
> deployed under JDK 1.7. So I'm considering switching to JDK 1.7 for
> development and moving on from 1.6. Before I do so I just thought I'd check
> on the list to see whether people's experiences with using JDK 1.7 for
> Grails (2.0.4) have been positive, or whether there are some things I have
> to watch out for.

Re: Any gotchas with JDK 1.7?

John Moore
Yes, that's exactly the problem I was running into with JDK6/JDK7 mix. I described it in a separate post: http://grails.1312388.n4.nabble.com/java-lang-IncompatibleClassChangeError-the-number-of-constructors-during-runtime-and-compile-time-foh-tp4632814.html

The solution was simply the addition of zero-argument constructors to my Exception subclasses - didn't need to go outside Groovy.

Re: Any gotchas with JDK 1.7?

John Fletcher-3
Upgraded recently with no issues.

John