Anyone weighed in on this yet? (Framework benchmarks using Grails 2.2.1)

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Anyone weighed in on this yet? (Framework benchmarks using Grails 2.2.1)

Ryan Vanderwerf
It appears to tell me the json renderer is very slow. (They show the
source they are using at the bottom).

http://www.techempower.com/blog/2013/03/28/framework-benchmarks/

Ryan

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Anyone weighed in on this yet? (Framework benchmarks using Grails 2.2.1)

longwa
Nice looking site. Assuming the methodology is sound, it would be nice to see historical trends for Grails/Groovy as new versions are released. I've wondered how it stacks up against other frameworks. Grails seems to do decently well in some of the database tests.

-Aaron

On Mar 28, 2013, at 5:57 PM, Ryan Vanderwerf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It appears to tell me the json renderer is very slow. (They show the source they are using at the bottom).
>
> http://www.techempower.com/blog/2013/03/28/framework-benchmarks/
>
> Ryan
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:
>
>   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Anyone weighed in on this yet? (Framework benchmarks using Grails 2.2.1)

honiewelle
I believe they used 2.1.1 for this benchmark. 


On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 7:12 AM, longwa [via Grails] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nice looking site. Assuming the methodology is sound, it would be nice to see historical trends for Grails/Groovy as new versions are released. I've wondered how it stacks up against other frameworks. Grails seems to do decently well in some of the database tests.

-Aaron

On Mar 28, 2013, at 5:57 PM, Ryan Vanderwerf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It appears to tell me the json renderer is very slow. (They show the source they are using at the bottom).
>
> http://www.techempower.com/blog/2013/03/28/framework-benchmarks/
>
> Ryan
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:
>
>   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email





To start a new topic under Grails - user, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Grails, click here.
NAML



--
Best regards,

Honiewelle
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Anyone weighed in on this yet? (Framework benchmarks using Grails 2.2.1)

Ken Liu
They posted an updated round of test results a few days ago:

http://www.techempower.com/blog/2013/04/05/frameworks-round-2/


You can see the Grails project that they used for the test here:

https://github.com/TechEmpower/FrameworkBenchmarks

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 10:51 PM, honiewelle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I believe they used 2.1.1 for this benchmark.
>
>
> On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 7:12 AM, longwa [via Grails] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Nice looking site. Assuming the methodology is sound, it would be nice to
>> see historical trends for Grails/Groovy as new versions are released. I've
>> wondered how it stacks up against other frameworks. Grails seems to do
>> decently well in some of the database tests.
>>
>> -Aaron
>>
>> On Mar 28, 2013, at 5:57 PM, Ryan Vanderwerf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > It appears to tell me the json renderer is very slow. (They show the
>> > source they are using at the bottom).
>> >
>> > http://www.techempower.com/blog/2013/03/28/framework-benchmarks/
>> >
>> > Ryan
>> >
>> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> > To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:
>> >
>> >   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>> >
>> >
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:
>>
>>     http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ________________________________
>> If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion
>> below:
>>
>> http://grails.1312388.n4.nabble.com/Anyone-weighed-in-on-this-yet-Framework-benchmarks-using-Grails-2-2-1-tp4643046p4643047.html
>> To start a new topic under Grails - user, email [hidden email]
>> To unsubscribe from Grails, click here.
>> NAML
>
>
>
>
> --
> Best regards,
>
> Honiewelle
>
> ________________________________
> View this message in context: Re: Anyone weighed in on this yet? (Framework
> benchmarks using Grails 2.2.1)
> Sent from the Grails - user mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Anyone weighed in on this yet? (Framework benchmarks using Grails 2.2.1)

Lari Hotari -
In reply to this post by Ryan Vanderwerf

Since the actual payload in this benchmark is very simple, this test is more like measuring the request-cycle overhead of all Grails magic like OSIV (Open Session In View) etc. . We are optimizing some parts for Grails 2.3 .

You can already achieve about 11000 req/s on a recent laptop so the overhead of the request-cycle is already relatively small.

Related to reducing the request-cycle overhead, Burt has already committed some improvements:
http://jira.grails.org/browse/GRAILS-9959 reduces the overhead of OSIV when number of connections is limited and caching is used, in other word when db connection isn't used in request cycle. currently OSIV gets and reserves a connection from the pool for the request lifecycle in any case.
https://github.com/grails/grails-core/commit/1ef23f39e16662a6158813337d26a691e37e5b52

https://github.com/grails/grails-core/commit/5bf6f8696c5de8e687faeab824cad36589dda9bf

some minor open issues:
http://jira.grails.org/browse/GRAILS-9958
http://jira.grails.org/browse/GRAILS-9956

The new XSS prevention solution ( http://jira.grails.org/browse/GRAILS-9906) will bring some performance improvements for apps using encodeAsHTML a lot, but that's another story.


Regards,

Lari



28.03.2013 23:57, Ryan Vanderwerf wrote:
It appears to tell me the json renderer is very slow. (They show the source they are using at the bottom).

http://www.techempower.com/blog/2013/03/28/framework-benchmarks/

Ryan

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Anyone weighed in on this yet? (Framework benchmarks using Grails 2.2.1)

Graeme Rocher
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ryan Vanderwerf
Certainly seems there is optimization to be done with the JSON rendering part, however more work probably needs to be done on the overhead of our request cycle.

However in the more realistic database access benchmarks Grails actually scores pretty decently:


Coming just behind Spring and Vert.x



On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 10:57 PM, Ryan Vanderwerf <[hidden email]> wrote:
It appears to tell me the json renderer is very slow. (They show the source they are using at the bottom).

http://www.techempower.com/blog/2013/03/28/framework-benchmarks/

Ryan

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email





--
Graeme Rocher
Grails Project Lead
SpringSource - A Division of VMware
http://www.springsource.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Anyone weighed in on this yet? (Framework benchmarks using Grails 2.2.1)

Ryan Vanderwerf
In reply to this post by Ryan Vanderwerf
Thanks for the write up Lari!

Ryan


From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.



-------- Original message --------
From: Lari Hotari <[hidden email]>
Date: 04/08/2013 11:11 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: [hidden email]
Cc: Ryan Vanderwerf <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [grails-user] Anyone weighed in on this yet? (Framework benchmarks using Grails 2.2.1)



Since the actual payload in this benchmark is very simple, this test is more like measuring the request-cycle overhead of all Grails magic like OSIV (Open Session In View) etc. . We are optimizing some parts for Grails 2.3 .

You can already achieve about 11000 req/s on a recent laptop so the overhead of the request-cycle is already relatively small.

Related to reducing the request-cycle overhead, Burt has already committed some improvements:
http://jira.grails.org/browse/GRAILS-9959 reduces the overhead of OSIV when number of connections is limited and caching is used, in other word when db connection isn't used in request cycle. currently OSIV gets and reserves a connection from the pool for the request lifecycle in any case.
https://github.com/grails/grails-core/commit/1ef23f39e16662a6158813337d26a691e37e5b52

https://github.com/grails/grails-core/commit/5bf6f8696c5de8e687faeab824cad36589dda9bf

some minor open issues:
http://jira.grails.org/browse/GRAILS-9958
http://jira.grails.org/browse/GRAILS-9956

The new XSS prevention solution ( http://jira.grails.org/browse/GRAILS-9906) will bring some performance improvements for apps using encodeAsHTML a lot, but that's another story.


Regards,

Lari



28.03.2013 23:57, Ryan Vanderwerf wrote:
It appears to tell me the json renderer is very slow. (They show the source they are using at the bottom).

http://www.techempower.com/blog/2013/03/28/framework-benchmarks/

Ryan

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email