Asset-Pipeline how to keep directory structure

Asset-Pipeline how to keep directory structure

Bob Brown
This may be a FAQ, apologies if so but couldn't find the answer...

Let's say that I have downloaded a shiny new javascript widget from
the source of all bits.

It comes as a zip with a pre-built folder structure:

widget/js
widget/css
widget/css/images

At the moment, *I believe* that I am required to split this folder
structure up by putting files into assets/javascripts and
assets/stylesheets.

Can I keep the widget folder as-is and still use asset-pipeline? If
so, how? Is there a pointer in the documentation?

Keeping the widget folder as-is would make upgrading much easier as
time and versions passes...

Cheers,

BOB

Re: Asset-Pipeline how to keep directory structure

Benoit HEDIARD
The first level deep within the assets folder is simply used for organization purposes and can contain folders of any name you wish. File types also dont need to be in any specific folder. These folders are omitted from the url mappings and relative path calculations.

So you should be able to put keep the widget folder structure.
That’s pretty cool.

Le 10 mars 2014 à 14:05, [hidden email] a écrit :

This may be a FAQ, apologies if so but couldn't find the answer...

Let's say that I have downloaded a shiny new javascript widget from the source of all bits.

It comes as a zip with a pre-built folder structure:

widget/js
widget/css
widget/css/images

At the moment, *I believe* that I am required to split this folder structure up by putting files into assets/javascripts and assets/stylesheets.

Can I keep the widget folder as-is and still use asset-pipeline? If so, how? Is there a pointer in the documentation?

Keeping the widget folder as-is would make upgrading much easier as time and versions passes...

Cheers,

BOB

Re: Asset-Pipeline how to keep directory structure

Bob Brown
Darn, I missed that.

Thanks for setting me right. I will try this out.

As you said: that's pretty cool.

BOB

Quoting Benoit Hediard <[hidden email]>:

> From the docs
> http://bertramdev.github.io/asset-pipeline/guide/usage.html#organization
> :
> The first level deep within the assets folder is simply used for
> organization purposes and can contain folders of any name you wish.
> File types also dont need to be in any specific folder. These
> folders are omitted from the url mappings and relative path
> calculations.
>
> So you should be able to put keep the widget folder structure.
> That’s pretty cool.
>
> Le 10 mars 2014 à 14:05, [hidden email] a écrit :
>
>> This may be a FAQ, apologies if so but couldn't find the answer...
>>
>> Let's say that I have downloaded a shiny new javascript widget from
>> the source of all bits.
>>
>> It comes as a zip with a pre-built folder structure:
>>
>> widget/js
>> widget/css
>> widget/css/images
>>
>> At the moment, *I believe* that I am required to split this folder
>> structure up by putting files into assets/javascripts and
>> assets/stylesheets.
>>
>> Can I keep the widget folder as-is and still use asset-pipeline? If
>> so, how? Is there a pointer in the documentation?
>>
>> Keeping the widget folder as-is would make upgrading much easier as
>> time and versions passes...
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> BOB

Re: Asset-Pipeline how to keep directory structure

David Estes
Just saw this. Thanks for pointing that out. You will find that this structure allows you to utilize things like Bower to load in your js components quite nicely.

--
David Estes
Sent with Airmail

On March 10, 2014 at 9:55:46 AM, [hidden email] ([hidden email]) wrote:

Darn, I missed that.

Thanks for setting me right. I will try this out.

As you said: that's pretty cool.

BOB

Quoting Benoit Hediard <[hidden email]>:

> From the docs
> http://bertramdev.github.io/asset-pipeline/guide/usage.html#organization
> :
> The first level deep within the assets folder is simply used for
> organization purposes and can contain folders of any name you wish.
> File types also dont need to be in any specific folder. These
> folders are omitted from the url mappings and relative path
> calculations.
>
> So you should be able to put keep the widget folder structure.
> That’s pretty cool.
>
> Le 10 mars 2014 à 14:05, [hidden email] a écrit :
>
>> This may be a FAQ, apologies if so but couldn't find the answer...
>>
>> Let's say that I have downloaded a shiny new javascript widget from
>> the source of all bits.
>>
>> It comes as a zip with a pre-built folder structure:
>>
>> widget/js
>> widget/css
>> widget/css/images
>>
>> At the moment, *I believe* that I am required to split this folder
>> structure up by putting files into assets/javascripts and
>> assets/stylesheets.
>>
>> Can I keep the widget folder as-is and still use asset-pipeline? If
>> so, how? Is there a pointer in the documentation?
>>
>> Keeping the widget folder as-is would make upgrading much easier as
>> time and versions passes...
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> BOB

>> http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Re: Asset-Pipeline how to keep directory structure

LargeDachshund
hey Ronny,
what do you do about CDN refrerences?

this is in my applicationResources.groovy:
bootstrap {
        dependsOn 'angularControllers'
        resource url:'http://netdna.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/3.1.0/css/bootstrap.min.css'
        resource url:'http://netdna.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/3.1.0/js/bootstrap.min.js'
    }

where do those urls go in application.css?  how?

Re: Asset-Pipeline how to keep directory structure

rlovtangen
Not sure, haven't used CDN references.

Ronny

On 13 Mar 2014, at 05:12, LargeDachshund <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hey Ronny,
> what do you do about CDN refrerences?
>
> this is in my applicationResources.groovy:
> bootstrap {
>        dependsOn 'angularControllers'
>        resource
> url:'http://netdna.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/3.1.0/css/bootstrap.min.css'
>        resource
> url:'http://netdna.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/3.1.0/js/bootstrap.min.js'
>    }
>
> where do those urls go in application.css?  how?

Re: Asset-Pipeline how to keep directory structure

David Estes
You just include them in your GSP

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 13, 2014, at 3:31 AM, Ronny Løvtangen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Not sure, haven't used CDN references.
>
> Ronny
>
>> On 13 Mar 2014, at 05:12, LargeDachshund <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> hey Ronny,
>> what do you do about CDN refrerences?
>>
>> this is in my applicationResources.groovy:
>> bootstrap {
>>       dependsOn 'angularControllers'
>>       resource
>> url:'http://netdna.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/3.1.0/css/bootstrap.min.css'
>>       resource
>> url:'http://netdna.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/3.1.0/js/bootstrap.min.js'
>>   }
>>
>> where do those urls go in application.css?  how?

Re: Asset-Pipeline how to keep directory structure

LargeDachshund
David,
thanks so kindly for your response.  i'll follow your guidance.