Quantcast

BIRT vs Jasper

12

BIRT vs Jasper

Kalin Wilson-2
I'm investigating Java based reporting frameworks for use in a Grails app.
I'd like to know if anyone has had any positive or negative experiences
with either Eclipse-BIRT or Jasper in conjunction with Grails.

I'm aware of the Jasper plugin and the Jasper implementation in the new
book "Beginning Groovy and Grails" and I am looking at these. But I've
also come across many comments online about the dearth of Jasper
documentation.
Also, I've used BIRT in previous J2EE projects and there are good third
party books out there, but I may be unaware of problems when it comes to
integrating BIRT into a Grails app.

So anyone with experience or opinions about either product, let me know
what you think.

Thanks,
 Kalin

Re: BIRT vs Jasper

Stephan M. February
Hello Kalin

----- "Kalin Wilson" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So anyone with experience or opinions about either product, let me
> know
> what you think.

I have integrated Birt into a Grails reporting tool before, and found it fairly easy. The trickier parts were to line up the Birt report parameters with the params object in a controller, and doing appropriate type marshaling for those params.
The only reason I've not blogged my experience or released the sources/made a plugin has been for lack of time. I'd be happy to share my code though.

Regards
Stephan February
Adeptiva Linux Pte Ltd
Co. Reg: 200404633R

RE: BIRT vs Jasper

Dierk König
Code sharing would be much appreciated!

cheers
Dierk

Re: BIRT vs Jasper

Marcos Fábio
Hi All,

I'm the developer of the Jasper Plugin and to a future release i want to add BIRT support. But i don't know anything about BIRT, anyone could help me? The key idea is to chose a report implementation (Jasper, BIRT, ...) in development-time.

My first idea is to use ReportConnector (JasperConnector, BIRTConnector,...) classes to plug in any implementation (Jasper, BIRT,.. ) to the JasperPlugin API. Of course that the name of the plugin, tags and attributes must change. Something like ReportPlugin, <g:report engine="jasper" source="file.jrxml" />

Thanks in advance!

MF

2008/7/28 Dierk König <[hidden email]>
Code sharing would be much appreciated!

cheers
Dierk

Marcos Fábio Pereira
http://embedded.ufcg.edu.br/~marcos/

Embedded Systems and Pervasive Computing Lab (Embedded) - http://embedded.ufcg.edu.br
Center of Electrical Engineering and Informatics (CEEI) - http://ceei.ufcg.edu.br
Federal University of Campina Grande (UFCG) - http://ufcg.edu.br

Re: BIRT vs Jasper

Kalin Wilson-2
Marcos,
A joint reporting plugin would be great! If I end up developing
something with BIRT, I'd be happy to contribute it. The downside to BIRT
for me right now is that it doesn't accept POJOs as a data source,
forcing you to use SQL to collect the data, bypassing any GORM help. One
workaround may be to convert a POJO collection to XML but I'd rather
work with SQL.

I haven't inspected your plugin structure in detail yet, but if it could
be extended for multiple generators, I'm sure that would be popular and
useful.

When/if I get to that point, I'll be in touch.

Kalin

Marcos Fábio wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm the developer of the Jasper Plugin and to a future release i want
> to add BIRT support. But i don't know anything about BIRT, anyone
> could help me? The key idea is to chose a report implementation
> (Jasper, BIRT, ...) in development-time.
>
> My first idea is to use ReportConnector (JasperConnector,
> BIRTConnector,...) classes to plug in any implementation (Jasper,
> BIRT,.. ) to the JasperPlugin API. Of course that the name of the
> plugin, tags and attributes must change. Something like ReportPlugin,
> <g:report engine="jasper" source="file.jrxml" />
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> MF
>
> 2008/7/28 Dierk König <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     Code sharing would be much appreciated!
>
>     cheers
>     Dierk

boardtc
We are developing a project and have chosen groovy/java/birt as the technologies. I recently have been playing with fitting the existing code to grails. We have a simple Java class which calls the BIRT api to run a report and this is what we are calling, we have not got well into parameters etc yet. I have not been able to find any resources of anyone using grails & BIRT and so was very excited to read your post today!

Stephen, As Dierk says, code sharing would be _much_ appreciated. Marcos I wish I knew enough about BIRT to help you extend the 'reporting plugin'. Any way that your code Stephen, might help Marcos extend his plugin? Is http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GRAILS/Jasper+Plugin the best place to watch for developments?

Good luck and thanks,

Tom.

Stephan M. February wrote
I have integrated Birt into a Grails reporting tool before, and found it fairly easy. The trickier parts were to line up the Birt report parameters with the params object in a controller, and doing appropriate type marshaling for those params.
The only reason I've not blogged my experience or released the sources/made a plugin has been for lack of time. I'd be happy to share my code though.
<quote author="Marcos Fábio">
Marcos Fábio:
I'm the developer of the Jasper Plugin and to a future release i want to add
BIRT support. But i don't know anything about BIRT, anyone could help me?
The key idea is to chose a report implementation (Jasper, BIRT, ...) in
development-time.
My first idea is to use ReportConnector (JasperConnector, BIRTConnector,...)
classes to plug in any implementation (Jasper, BIRT,.. ) to the JasperPlugin
API. Of course that the name of the plugin, tags and attributes must change.
Something like ReportPlugin, <g:report engine="jasper" source="file.jrxml"
</quote>

Re: BIRT vs Jasper

Marcos Fábio
Hi Tom,

I'll really appreciate any help with this work. Could you share your Java class with me?

About your question: http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GRAILS/Jasper+Plugin is the only place where i'm publishing the updates.

Marcos Fábio wrote:

> I'm the developer of the Jasper Plugin and to a future release i want to
> add
> BIRT support. But i don't know anything about BIRT, anyone could help me?
> The key idea is to chose a report implementation (Jasper, BIRT, ...) in
> development-time.
>
> My first idea is to use ReportConnector (JasperConnector,
> BIRTConnector,...)
> classes to plug in any implementation (Jasper, BIRT,.. ) to the
> JasperPlugin
> API. Of course that the name of the plugin, tags and attributes must
> change.
> Something like ReportPlugin, <g:report engine="jasper" source="file.jrxml"

Marcos Fábio Pereira
http://embedded.ufcg.edu.br/~marcos/

Embedded Systems and Pervasive Computing Lab (Embedded) - http://embedded.ufcg.edu.br
Center of Electrical Engineering and Informatics (CEEI) - http://ceei.ufcg.edu.br
Federal University of Campina Grande (UFCG) - http://ufcg.edu.br

Re: BIRT vs Jasper

Bashar Abdul-Jawad
    I can share my experience with Jasper - although not in a Grails
app. I have been working with Jasper for about 4 months now (in a
Tapestry app) mainly building dynamic crosstabs (using Jasper's Java
API) and  generating charts and graphs. Jasper is a pretty complex
software and yes documentation is horrible. To be honest I am not that
happy with Jasper - it is too complex, documentation is very poor,the
forums are almost dead and no one seems to know the answer to anything.
Also if you have advanced needs many of them are not supported in Jasper
(I had to implement/hack 3 features myself as the author of Jasper told
me they were not supported - some of them are pretty basic like sorting
crosstabs by total).

I am currently looking at BIRT and would love to switch over to it if it
has the features I'm looking for (mainly with crosstabs).

Bashar

Kalin Wilson wrote:

> I'm investigating Java based reporting frameworks for use in a Grails
> app.
> I'd like to know if anyone has had any positive or negative
> experiences with either Eclipse-BIRT or Jasper in conjunction with
> Grails.
>
> I'm aware of the Jasper plugin and the Jasper implementation in the
> new book "Beginning Groovy and Grails" and I am looking at these. But
> I've also come across many comments online about the dearth of Jasper
> documentation.
> Also, I've used BIRT in previous J2EE projects and there are good
> third party books out there, but I may be unaware of problems when it
> comes to integrating BIRT into a Grails app.
>
> So anyone with experience or opinions about either product, let me
> know what you think.
>
> Thanks,
> Kalin

Re: BIRT vs Jasper

burtbeckwith
Jasper's definitely one of those open-source products whose documentation is
either lacking or very bad (others include JFreeChart and JBoss) but that
have documentation or books that you can purchase. Pretty decent way of
monetizing an open source project ;)

I bought the PDFs for both Jasper and iReport (unfortunately they're not
available as printed books) and they're very good.

Burt

On Wednesday 30 July 2008 4:35:12 pm Bashar Abdul-Jawad wrote:

>     I can share my experience with Jasper - although not in a Grails
> app. I have been working with Jasper for about 4 months now (in a
> Tapestry app) mainly building dynamic crosstabs (using Jasper's Java
> API) and  generating charts and graphs. Jasper is a pretty complex
> software and yes documentation is horrible. To be honest I am not that
> happy with Jasper - it is too complex, documentation is very poor,the
> forums are almost dead and no one seems to know the answer to anything.
> Also if you have advanced needs many of them are not supported in Jasper
> (I had to implement/hack 3 features myself as the author of Jasper told
> me they were not supported - some of them are pretty basic like sorting
> crosstabs by total).
>
> I am currently looking at BIRT and would love to switch over to it if it
> has the features I'm looking for (mainly with crosstabs).
>
> Bashar
>
> Kalin Wilson wrote:
> > I'm investigating Java based reporting frameworks for use in a Grails
> > app.
> > I'd like to know if anyone has had any positive or negative
> > experiences with either Eclipse-BIRT or Jasper in conjunction with
> > Grails.
> >
> > I'm aware of the Jasper plugin and the Jasper implementation in the
> > new book "Beginning Groovy and Grails" and I am looking at these. But
> > I've also come across many comments online about the dearth of Jasper
> > documentation.
> > Also, I've used BIRT in previous J2EE projects and there are good
> > third party books out there, but I may be unaware of problems when it
> > comes to integrating BIRT into a Grails app.
> >
> > So anyone with experience or opinions about either product, let me
> > know what you think.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Kalin

Re: BIRT vs Jasper

Kalin Wilson-2
Thanks all who have responded. Sounds like there is a little going on
but not widespread use of these tools with Grails, or much within this
community.
I did by the Jasper Reports book by Heffelfinger as it got the best
reviews. I also bought the BIRT book by Peh, et al. I agree about
supporting open source :)

I'm nearing the point in my project that I want to integrate reporting
in. I'll probably start with the Jasper Plugin since it looks like
Marcos has done a good job. As time allows, I would like to see what it
would take to integrate BIRT into the Jasper plugin. That combination
seems appealing.

For those who offered to share their BIRT impementations or designs, I'd
still appreciate seeing them!

Thanks again for the feedback!
Kalin

Burt Beckwith wrote:

> Jasper's definitely one of those open-source products whose documentation is
> either lacking or very bad (others include JFreeChart and JBoss) but that
> have documentation or books that you can purchase. Pretty decent way of
> monetizing an open source project ;)
>
> I bought the PDFs for both Jasper and iReport (unfortunately they're not
> available as printed books) and they're very good.
>
> Burt
>
> On Wednesday 30 July 2008 4:35:12 pm Bashar Abdul-Jawad wrote:
>
>>     I can share my experience with Jasper - although not in a Grails
>> app. I have been working with Jasper for about 4 months now (in a
>> Tapestry app) mainly building dynamic crosstabs (using Jasper's Java
>> API) and  generating charts and graphs. Jasper is a pretty complex
>> software and yes documentation is horrible. To be honest I am not that
>> happy with Jasper - it is too complex, documentation is very poor,the
>> forums are almost dead and no one seems to know the answer to anything.
>> Also if you have advanced needs many of them are not supported in Jasper
>> (I had to implement/hack 3 features myself as the author of Jasper told
>> me they were not supported - some of them are pretty basic like sorting
>> crosstabs by total).
>>
>> I am currently looking at BIRT and would love to switch over to it if it
>> has the features I'm looking for (mainly with crosstabs).
>>
>> Bashar
>>
>> Kalin Wilson wrote:
>>
>>> I'm investigating Java based reporting frameworks for use in a Grails
>>> app.
>>> I'd like to know if anyone has had any positive or negative
>>> experiences with either Eclipse-BIRT or Jasper in conjunction with
>>> Grails.
>>>
>>> I'm aware of the Jasper plugin and the Jasper implementation in the
>>> new book "Beginning Groovy and Grails" and I am looking at these. But
>>> I've also come across many comments online about the dearth of Jasper
>>> documentation.
>>> Also, I've used BIRT in previous J2EE projects and there are good
>>> third party books out there, but I may be unaware of problems when it
>>> comes to integrating BIRT into a Grails app.
>>>
>>> So anyone with experience or opinions about either product, let me
>>> know what you think.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Kalin

Re: BIRT vs Jasper

boardtc

Marcos Fábio wrote
I'll really appreciate any help with this work. Could you share your Java
class with me?
Sure for what it's worth! Will contact off list. Tom.

Re: BIRT vs Jasper

Kapil Pandit
I used jasper plugin version 0.6x in my grails project a while ago.I faced a few problems mainly while generating sub-reports etc. But because you have the code of the plugin in your grails app, so fixing those problems was easy(debugging was not). However, I found all those problems were fixed in the plugin's new release version 0.7.7. So just upgraded to the same. Upgrading to a newer version of a plugin in general is a bit of a pain though.

I used both SQL's and domain objects for report generation and both work very well.
To write jasper reports I used JasperSoft's free tool called iReport and it served me well.
I haven't explored BIRT so can't provide any inputs for comparison

Cheers,
Kapil

Kalin Wilson-2 wrote
I'm investigating Java based reporting frameworks for use in a Grails app.
I'd like to know if anyone has had any positive or negative experiences
with either Eclipse-BIRT or Jasper in conjunction with Grails.
So anyone with experience or opinions about either product, let me know
what you think.

Thanks,
 Kalin

Re: BIRT vs Jasper

boardtc
Looks like Stephan has been busy :-)

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GRAILS/Birt+Plugin

Stephan M. February wrote
Hello Kalin

----- "Kalin Wilson" <dev@kalinwilson.com> wrote:
> So anyone with experience or opinions about either product, let me
> know
> what you think.

I have integrated Birt into a Grails reporting tool before, and found it fairly easy. The trickier parts were to line up the Birt report parameters with the params object in a controller, and doing appropriate type marshaling for those params.
The only reason I've not blogged my experience or released the sources/made a plugin has been for lack of time. I'd be happy to share my code though.

Regards
Stephan February
Adeptiva Linux Pte Ltd
Co. Reg: 200404633R

Re: BIRT vs Jasper

Stephan M. February
Oi! Sneaky sneaky :)

Please note that the installation method written on that page will currently fail because the plugin is not in the official Grails repository yet. The other information is sound.

Regards
Stephan February
Adeptiva Linux Pte Ltd
Co. Reg: 200404633R

----- "Tom Corcoran" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Looks like Stephan has been busy :-)
>
> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GRAILS/Birt+Plugin
>

> Stephan M. February wrote:
> >
> > Hello Kalin
> >
> > ----- "Kalin Wilson" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> So anyone with experience or opinions about either product, let me
> >> know
> >> what you think.
> >>

> > I have integrated Birt into a Grails reporting tool before, and
> found it
> > fairly easy. The trickier parts were to line up the Birt report
> parameters
> > with the params object in a controller, and doing appropriate type
> > marshaling for those params.
> > The only reason I've not blogged my experience or released the
> > sources/made a plugin has been for lack of time. I'd be happy to
> share my
> > code though.
> >
> > Regards
> > Stephan February
> > Adeptiva Linux Pte Ltd
> > Co. Reg: 200404633R

Re: BIRT vs Jasper

Virgil-17

Hi Kalin,

There is a BIRT/Grails plugin that someone created recently.  Link at
http://www.birt-exchange.com/devshare/deploying-birt-reports/456-birt-plugin-for-grails/

Virgil

Re: Re: BIRT vs Jasper

Kalin Wilson-2
Virgil wrote:

> Hi Kalin,
>
> There is a BIRT/Grails plugin that someone created recently.  Link at
> http://www.birt-exchange.com/devshare/deploying-birt-reports/456-birt-plugin-for-grails/
>
> Virgil

Thanks Virgil. It looks like this points back to Stephan's plugin. But
thanks for the tip.

Kalin

Re: BIRT vs Jasper

lai seong au

Re: BIRT vs Jasper

Paulo Cordeiro
I think that Birt is very flexible fast, but the your html design is bad because  require css knowledge
and output is diferent of design;
The JasperReport is more slow and is more complex to build a report.

Grails need a fexible model to build reports. The majority reports in companies is  standardized.

Could be used JasperReport or Birt engine for run report:

def builder = ReportBuilder()
    report = builder.report(new File('report.pdf', PDF)){
        header{
            tile:'Company Name'
            date:new Date()
        }
        Body{
            List('column1','column2','column3'){
             data:{datasource}
        }
        footer{
            message:"total page ${page}/${totalPage}"

Paulo Cordeiro
[hidden email]

Link3 Tecnologia Ltda
71 2102-6000

2008/11/19 jimmy6 <[hidden email]>

You can have a look at
http://j6framework.blogspot.com/2008/11/jasper-vs-birt.html

Re: BIRT vs Jasper

doyle
I had BIRT in development and then in test. It required soooo much memory to run. We just figured out that it was easier to use iText! Nice easy api to work with. I highly recommend it.

I think BIRT's place is on the desktop as an eclipse plugin so analysts can do the BI thing not for general reporting. If your reports are canned then use something else.

What you can do .... I have not done it yet is to expose data services from grails to BIRT.

Re: BIRT vs Jasper

Peter Cold
We've integrated JasperReports into our app by using the JasperServer application.  We design the reports in iReport, then load our jrxml's and define the reports on the JasperServer.  We then pull compiled JasperReport objects out of that application through the SOAP web services.  It's quite nice in that 1) it off loads the report compilation to another server and 2) we can add new reports to the JasperServer and they just dynamically show up in our app without any code changes.  I guess the downside is that you have to run another web app...

It's not very obvious on how to do this, but there is an ireport plugin jar that's in the lib's for JasperServer than implements all the web service calls to the server.

I've been meaning to package this up into a plugin, but you know, time......where does it go?