Beta of new Grails website

graemer
Hello all,

See the beta of the new Grails website here http://unity.grails.codehaus.org/

and tell me what you think.. the code examples' formatting is a bit
weird and codehaus is looking into that but otherwise it doesnt look
too bad

Re: Beta of new Grails website

Guillaume Laforge-2
> See the beta of the new Grails website here http://unity.grails.codehaus.org/
>
> and tell me what you think.. the code examples' formatting is a bit
> weird and codehaus is looking into that but otherwise it doesnt look
> too bad

It is looking good! :-)
I love the new look.

PS: in case you see the old logo, there's a cache mechanism in place,
and you can see the updated page with appending ?nocache at the end of
the URL.

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: Beta of new Grails website

Guillaume Laforge-2
Some additional nitpicking remarks:

1) The light gray shade is in the box with the google ads, as well as the logo.
Could the shade be put below?

2) Could the copyright and edit confluence link be at the very bottom
of the page?

3) And right, the code examples might need some formatting, boxing or
something to make them more visible.

Guillaume

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: Beta of new Grails website

Steven Devijver
The site looks great, I look the layout, it's very easy to read.  I
think the logo looks very beautiful and interesting but I'm just a
little bit worried about it's message.

When I first saw the logo I really only saw "Rails", it took me
another couple of moments to detect the red dot was actually a G. And
I propbably only found it because I was looking for the G.

What do you guys think about the logo?

Steven

On 2/24/06, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/24/06, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > See the beta of the new Grails website here http://unity.grails.codehaus.org/
> >
> > and tell me what you think.. the code examples' formatting is a bit
> > weird and codehaus is looking into that but otherwise it doesnt look
> > too bad
>
> It is looking good! :-)
> I love the new look.
>
> PS: in case you see the old logo, there's a cache mechanism in place,
> and you can see the updated page with appending ?nocache at the end of
> the URL.
>
> --
> Guillaume Laforge
> Groovy Project Manager
> http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

--
Steven Devijver
Senior Consultant
Interface21
Spring Services from the Source
http://www.interface21.com

Co-author, "Expert Spring MVC and Web Flow"
(February 2006, with Seth Ladd, Darren Davison, and Colin Yates)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159059584X

Interface21 NL B.V.
Donker Curtiusstraat 7-400c
1051JL Amsterdam
The Netherlands
Phone: +31 (0)20 486 47 63
Fax: +31 (0)20 475 08 28
Mail: [hidden email]
Skype: devijvers

On 2/24/06, Steven Devijver <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What do you guys think about the logo?

Ah right, perhaps the G needs to be a bit more outlined and prominent.
I'm not shocked by the logo since Graeme showed it to me recently, but
that's true that I read "rails" instead of "grails" the first time!
So perhaps a little darker line on the G or something?

I just noticed that Graeme, Groovy and Grails start alike :-)
GGgrrrrr... :-)))

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

RE: Beta of new Grails website

Dierk König
Wow! Cool!

I very much like it.

I agree with Guillaume's remarks, e.g. about the formatting
of code examples.

> What do you guys think about the logo?

I had no problems seeing the G but I see the point about it.
I also like the 'IL'-rails binding and the used Font. Very slick.

The red G is a very strong connection to Ruby because of the
ruby-red. Is that on purpose?

From our web-designers I learned that using a consistent color
palette make more difference than I ever thought.
The scaffolding examples are great in this respect.

So how about using the light shade of blue that is in the
scaffolding views and develop very few variants of it for
darker usage (e.g. for the G and G-icon) and maybe a lighter
one for background of the code examples.

In general, darker colors should have more saturation, lighter
colors less.

cheers
Mittie

P.S. We can play with the 'rail' metaphor or even with the
'grail' metaphor. I tried the latter on http://groovy.canoo.com
(also some connotations to Monty-Python pictures come to my mind...)

Re: Beta of new Grails website

Guillaume Laforge-2
> [...]
> The red G is a very strong connection to Ruby because of the
> ruby-red. Is that on purpose?

Hmmm, right, red is ruby-esque...

> From our web-designers I learned that using a consistent color
> palette make more difference than I ever thought.
> The scaffolding examples are great in this respect.
>
> So how about using the light shade of blue that is in the
> scaffolding views and develop very few variants of it for
> darker usage (e.g. for the G and G-icon) and maybe a lighter
> one for background of the code examples.
>
> In general, darker colors should have more saturation, lighter
> colors less.

The blue might also make us remember about the blue of the Groovy logo star?
But blue is perhaps not ideal with the green of the top bar of the
site? or is it?

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

RE: Beta of new Grails website

Dierk König
> The blue might also make us remember about the blue of the Groovy
> logo star?

*hehe*, yes...

> But blue is perhaps not ideal with the green of the top bar of the
> site? or is it?

Can the green be changed?

The current shade of green used in the page is the 'Spring' color.
This may well be on purpose or beneficial since the connection to
Spring is obviously there...

The current low-saturation almost-olive green goes fairly well with
the scaffolded blue.

cheers
Mittie

Re: Beta of new Grails website

Tomas Hubalek-3
IMHO its quite nice, but I think that there is too much useless space at
the top of the page. Even in case of short pages you have to scroll.
Would it be possible to reduce it?

Tom