CMS

tog

CMS

tog
I remember sometimes ago a discussion about some flagship projects
like "idea box", CMS, ...
Is there something initiated on the CMS side ?

Cheers
Guillaume

Re: CMS

hamishagain@dcs.shef.ac.uk
hi

tog wrote:

> Is there something initiated on the CMS side ?

my group have implemented a wiki running on top of subversion; it has
some simple CMS functions inherited from subversion and partly given a
UI in the wiki (file upload, directory browsing, serving static
resources, versioning)

it's not really a full-blow CMS though

attached some notes that I was using in discussions at the Grails
eXchange. we'd be happy to discuss further with anyone who has a
compatible vision and is interested in joining in!

we're going to open source it in a week or so (I'll put it on
sourceforge by default, largely because I know it - anyone got other
recommendations?)

best
--
Hamish
http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~hamish/

CoW: a controllable wiki

CoW: a controllable wiki

Contents

1. Why another wiki?

Scratching three itches:

  1. adding interaction to a largish static site (15k HTML files, 40k other files)
  2. wiki style collaborative document creation with asynchonous off-line editing
  3. a test-bed for experiments in controlled languages for round-trip ontology engineering

2. Main features

3. Using SVN as a Wiki backend

No available Wiki in Java that we could find has good SVN support. Using SVN as a backend gives us:

  • off-line edit - simply checkout the pages and edit to your heart's content while off-line
  • edit with other tools, not just the web forms interface
  • management of authorship-related metadata such as how many lines added, difference between versions and so on
  • a stable and reliable versionning system that's been proved in production use by 000,000s of developers
  • concurrent editing

Why not JCR layered on top of SVN? Just a question of team resources and experience, the strength of the SVNKit library and so on.

4. Controlled languages and semantics

Annotating documents with semantics is not a panacea for all the problems of document retrieval, but can in certain circumstances be beneficial, especially for high value and medium or low volume content.

CoW is partly intended to be an experimental framework for a new type of website in which

This work is funded by research projects with

  • British Telecom (SeKT)
  • the BBC (PrestoSpace)
  • ATOS Origin (TAO)

5. Current status

CoW uses Grails and currently includes:

  • a wiki language with a JavaCC parser
  • a content persistence and versioning backend using Subversion
  • simple display and edit of wiki pages and other static content (with a minimal hypersonic DB to store pointers to wiki areas and user/role/permission data)
  • a version of the Grails Acegi (Spring security) plugin that includes editing of the user data and assigns permissions to wiki areas based on their DB id
  • user registration using the Captcha plugin

The system has two modes, workstation and server; the former does no user management, the latter uses the Acegi plugin.

Re: CMS

hamishagain@dcs.shef.ac.uk
I noticed that this message doesn't display properly on the codehaus archive,
so here it is again without the attachment

--
Hamish
http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~hamish/

Re: CMS

Fred Janon
The CoW looks YAMmy! :)

Hamish, your project looks very interesting. I am looking forward to seeing it next week.

Thanks a lot for sharing.

Fred

--
Hamish
http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~hamish/

Re: CMS

Nacho Brito Calahorro

we have a rather complete (yet basic) CMS with this features implemented:

user management
    - "remember me" (i.e cookie)
    - "I forgot my password"
    - role based authorisation for content updaters / admins

sections management

moderated forums (option to disable moderation)

news, with moderated comments (option to disable moderation)

documents storage (i.e. pdf)

image galleries

events management

static blocks

At this moment, it's our internal framework.We've used it in several
projects, let me show you two of them:

http://groovy.org.es (based in a rather old version of the CMS, it does
quite more at present)

http://www2.ayto-serranillosdelvalle.es (still a prototype, based in the
las version of the CMS, plus some custom additions like the weather info
and the Yahoo maps stuff)

Our plan is to release it as an open source project when this conditions
are met:

- we have some time/help to:
    - generate a web site
    - generate some docs
    - setup the code for publication (a default l&f, agnostic config,
and so on)

- we have some feedback from the comunity that proves that there is
interest in such a project (we don't want to do the work and see it die
the next month because nobody is using it)

The proposed name is goeCMS. Should anybody be interested in participate
in this project, the first needs are:

- a web site layout for the project
- some docs (I guess we should write it since we have the knowledge)

I hope you find it interesting, we are willing to make it public.

Best,

tog escribió:

> I remember sometimes ago a discussion about some flagship projects
> like "idea box", CMS, ...
> Is there something initiated on the CMS side ?
>
> Cheers
> Guillaume

Nacho Brito
[hidden email]
677 42 15 57
http://nacho-brito.neurona.com/

ImaginaWorks Software Factory
http://www.imaginaworks.com

Re: CMS

Steven Devijver
Regarding open-sourcing these grails applications:

You can also contribute them as they are now. If the functionality is
ok I will make sure that they are cleaned up, converted to a plugin,
properly documented and released.

Since there are two wiki code bases that can be open-sourced maybe I
will merge them into one.

If you're interested we can exchange some ideas of how to go about this offline.

Kind regards

Steven

On 10/19/07, Nacho Brito <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we have a rather complete (yet basic) CMS with this features implemented:
>
> user management
>     - "remember me" (i.e cookie)
>     - "I forgot my password"
>     - role based authorisation for content updaters / admins
>
> sections management
>
> moderated forums (option to disable moderation)
>
> news, with moderated comments (option to disable moderation)
>
> documents storage (i.e. pdf)
>
> image galleries
>
> events management
>
> static blocks
>
> At this moment, it's our internal framework.We've used it in several
> projects, let me show you two of them:
>
> http://groovy.org.es (based in a rather old version of the CMS, it does
> quite more at present)
>
> http://www2.ayto-serranillosdelvalle.es (still a prototype, based in the
> las version of the CMS, plus some custom additions like the weather info
> and the Yahoo maps stuff)
>
> Our plan is to release it as an open source project when this conditions
> are met:
>
> - we have some time/help to:
>     - generate a web site
>     - generate some docs
>     - setup the code for publication (a default l&f, agnostic config,
> and so on)
>
> - we have some feedback from the comunity that proves that there is
> interest in such a project (we don't want to do the work and see it die
> the next month because nobody is using it)
>
> The proposed name is goeCMS. Should anybody be interested in participate
> in this project, the first needs are:
>
> - a web site layout for the project
> - some docs (I guess we should write it since we have the knowledge)
>
> I hope you find it interesting, we are willing to make it public.
>
> Best,
>
> tog escribió:
> > I remember sometimes ago a discussion about some flagship projects
> > like "idea box", CMS, ...
> > Is there something initiated on the CMS side ?
> >
> > Cheers
> > Guillaume

> Nacho Brito
> [hidden email]
> 677 42 15 57
> http://nacho-brito.neurona.com/
>
> ImaginaWorks Software Factory
> http://www.imaginaworks.com

Re: CMS

hamishagain@dcs.shef.ac.uk
Steven Devijver wrote:

> If you're interested we can exchange some ideas of how to go about this offline.

absolutely!

I was going to put this in the grails-plugins SVN, but have had some
trouble making it work as a plugin, so I've registered a sourceforge
project and will put the code there ASAP

in the meantime, happy to chat off-line

best

On 10/21/07, Hamish Cunningham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Steven Devijver wrote:
>
> > If you're interested we can exchange some ideas of how to go about this offline.
>
> absolutely!
>
> I was going to put this in the grails-plugins SVN, but have had some
> trouble making it work as a plugin, so I've registered a sourceforge
> project and will put the code there ASAP

Before starting to work on this plugin I want to get a simple blog
working as a plugin with 1.0-RC1. I'm also working on a parser for the
wikitext used by wikipedia that I would like to integrate. I also want
to add similar parsers for Markdown and Textile.

I propose we have a look at this plugin again once I demystified how
to write proper plugins in 1.0-RC1.

Thanks for your interest.

Steven

> in the meantime, happy to chat off-line
>
> best
> --
> Hamish
> http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~hamish/

Re: CMS

iamsteveholmes
Hey Folks!
I have been feverishly working on a very basic CMS just for administering content added by users for a public site.  My concept was very basic and I didn't do any storing of XML, or adding of word documents or  PDFs or any of that.  But it did include rolling back to previous previous versions and a basic create, accept, publish workflow.  When I was finished I was planning on releasing it as a plugin to the community but it is weeks or months away from that.  I am not at all too proud to throw it out and contribute to your project if it would help meet the needs of mine.  There is also a small-to-large chance that my company might sponsor me at times as a part time resource for this project.

This is something I am REALLY committed to and my wife and son are away for a few weeks so I can put some good time into this effort in the next couple weeks if I can get started soon.

Steven Devijver wrote