Can JProfiler be used for profiling Grails application. What is the best tool to profile Grails app

Can JProfiler be used for profiling Grails application. What is the best tool to profile Grails app

clr meno
Is JProfiler the right choice for profiling Grails application. I want to profile my Grails application to understand the performance hotspots so that I could make code changes accordingly.

Re: Can JProfiler be used for profiling Grails application. What is the best tool to profile Grails app

Mihai Glonț

I'm happily using the YourKit profiler. -- Mihai.

On 23/03/2017 10:17, clr meno wrote:
Is JProfiler the right choice for profiling Grails application. I want to profile my Grails application to understand the performance hotspots so that I could make code changes accordingly.

Re: Can JProfiler be used for profiling Grails application. What is the best tool to profile Grails app

clr meno
Thanks.

On Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 6:17:17 AM UTC-4, clr meno wrote:
Is JProfiler the right choice for profiling Grails application. I want to profile my Grails application to understand the performance hotspots so that I could make code changes accordingly.

Re: Can JProfiler be used for profiling Grails application. What is the best tool to profile Grails app

clr meno
@Mihai,
I am currently trying to profile a grails application using JProfiler.
1) When I try to attach the profiler it asks for main class. Which class is the main class for grails? Did you face the same issue when you started profiling as with yourKit?
2) I also saw the option to attach to an existing running JVM in which case I could attach to the running local host server of grails application. But will it profile my whole application code?
3) I was wondering if  there is a way to point to the src or grails-app folder and get the profiler to detect hotspots on all of the files
Really appreciate any inputs that you could provide
Thanks

On Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 6:17:17 AM UTC-4, clr meno wrote:
Is JProfiler the right choice for profiling Grails application. I want to profile my Grails application to understand the performance hotspots so that I could make code changes accordingly.

Re: Can JProfiler be used for profiling Grails application. What is the best tool to profile Grails app

Jeff Scott Brown-4
On 23 Mar 2017, at 11:17, clr meno wrote:

> Is JProfiler the right choice for profiling Grails application. I want
> profile my Grails application to understand the performance hotspots
> so
> that I could make code changes accordingly.

I routinely use YourKit and really like it.  The IntelliJ integration is
quite nice and it plays very well with Grails 3 apps.

JSB

--
Jeff Scott Brown
OCI Grails Practice Lead

Autism Strikes 1 in 166
Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Re: Can JProfiler be used for profiling Grails application. What is the best tool to profile Grails app

Mihai Glonț

I can only rely on my experience with YourKit + its Intellij plugin to try to answer.

On 27/03/17 00:28, clr meno wrote:
@Mihai,
I am currently trying to profile a grails application using JProfiler.
1) When I try to attach the profiler it asks for main class. Which class is the main class for grails? Did you face the same issue when you started profiling as with yourKit?
With Grails 3 there is a main class, but I can't think of an equivalent for Grails 2.

2) I also saw the option to attach to an existing running JVM in which case I could attach to the running local host server of grails application. But will it profile my whole application code?
This is what I normally do.
It doesn't matter if you're using jvisualvm's profiler, yourkit or anything else, the crux is to get the profiler on the agent path of the java process for your application.
And yes, it will profile your entire application (read any method in any class invoked by your application while you're profiling it), whether it's a web app or not. You can typically customise this either by saying ignore classes from packages A, B and C (blacklist), or only include com.Foo, com.bar.* (whitelist).

3) I was wondering if  there is a way to point to the src or grails-app folder and get the profiler to detect hotspots on all of the files
I'd launch the application with the profiler attached, then, as a user of the application, I'd play with the features which leverage the code you want to profile and monitor the information gathered by profiler.

Good luck!

Really appreciate any inputs that you could provide
Thanks

On Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 6:17:17 AM UTC-4, clr meno wrote:
Is JProfiler the right choice for profiling Grails application. I want to profile my Grails application to understand the performance hotspots so that I could make code changes accordingly.

Re: Can JProfiler be used for profiling Grails application. What is the best tool to profile Grails app

orubel
I actually build my own profiler tool into my api plugin so I can just change the way I call an endpoint and get out a list of class>functions and the time it took for each call. Naturally you have to add a snippet to all your controller methods where you want this but other than that, pretty useful.