Change to doco

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Change to doco

pmcneil
G'day all,

Can we please add this info to the doco where an environment can be
specified?

grails [env]* run-app

[env] can be 'dev' 'prod' or  you can specify a custom environment using
-Dgrails.env=mycustomenv

(can I edit doco?)

Cheers,
Peter.

--
web: http://nerderg.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/pmcneil


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Change to doco

Jean Barmash 1
Yes, you can edit documentation (I haven't done it myself yet though).  The repo is here: 


I think there is also a repository for minor changes, under peter ledbrook's github account, that you can get write access, but for large changes, you should send a pull request into the above. 

Cheers,

Jean


On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 9:09 PM, Peter McNeil <[hidden email]> wrote:
G'day all,

Can we please add this info to the doco where an environment can be specified?

grails [env]* run-app

[env] can be 'dev' 'prod' or  you can specify a custom environment using -Dgrails.env=mycustomenv

(can I edit doco?)

Cheers,
Peter.

--
web: http://nerderg.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/pmcneil


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Change to doco

ideasculptor
In reply to this post by pmcneil


On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 6:09 PM, Peter McNeil <[hidden email]> wrote:
G'day all,

Can we please add this info to the doco where an environment can be specified?

grails [env]* run-app

[env] can be 'dev' 'prod' or  you can specify a custom environment using -Dgrails.env=mycustomenv


Is that what the deal is?  I've been convinced that "grails [env] run-app" (and every other command, like "grails [env] war," etc) was broken since i started using grails, because I don't use a standard env name when I'm developing. I always just got an error about not finding a script with the correct name.  Really, given the frequency with which the docs recommend putting an environment name in the grails command line like that, there ought to be a big disclaimer somewhere that makes it clear that it only works for the standard environment names and that -Dgrails.env=... is the only way to specify an arbitrary name.  That gave me fits when I first encountered it.  Ideally, it'd be a whole lot better to fix the command parser so that it compares the string at that location to all available environments rather than just massaging the docs.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Change to doco

Nicholas Wittstruck
In reply to this post by Jean Barmash 1
Just fork that repository and create a pull-request. That's usually the easiest way. If you want, I can do it for you.

Cheers,
Nick


On 16.08.2012, at 03:17, Jean Barmash <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, you can edit documentation (I haven't done it myself yet though).  The repo is here: 


I think there is also a repository for minor changes, under peter ledbrook's github account, that you can get write access, but for large changes, you should send a pull request into the above. 

Cheers,

Jean


On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 9:09 PM, Peter McNeil <[hidden email]> wrote:
G'day all,

Can we please add this info to the doco where an environment can be specified?

grails [env]* run-app

[env] can be 'dev' 'prod' or  you can specify a custom environment using -Dgrails.env=mycustomenv

(can I edit doco?)

Cheers,
Peter.

--
web: http://nerderg.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/pmcneil


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Change to doco

pmcneil
In reply to this post by ideasculptor

On 16/08/12 18:25, Samuel Gendler wrote:


On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 6:09 PM, Peter McNeil <[hidden email]> wrote:
G'day all,

Can we please add this info to the doco where an environment can be specified?

grails [env]* run-app

[env] can be 'dev' 'prod' or  you can specify a custom environment using -Dgrails.env=mycustomenv


Is that what the deal is?  I've been convinced that "grails [env] run-app" (and every other command, like "grails [env] war," etc) was broken since i started using grails, because I don't use a standard env name when I'm developing. I always just got an error about not finding a script with the correct name.  Really, given the frequency with which the docs recommend putting an environment name in the grails command line like that, there ought to be a big disclaimer somewhere that makes it clear that it only works for the standard environment names and that -Dgrails.env=... is the only way to specify an arbitrary name.  That gave me fits when I first encountered it.  Ideally, it'd be a whole lot better to fix the command parser so that it compares the string at that location to all available environments rather than just massaging the docs.


true, but the command would have to interpret the config.groovy first, before it's built it to know what environments there were. Perhaps a simple improvement like:

grails env:stage run-app

or maybe

grails run-app stage

so the stage is an option for the script

-- 
web: http://nerderg.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/pmcneil
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Change to doco

pledbrook
In reply to this post by pmcneil
> Can we please add this info to the doco where an environment can be
> specified?
>
> grails [env]* run-app
>
> [env] can be 'dev' 'prod' or  you can specify a custom environment using
> -Dgrails.env=mycustomenv
>
> (can I edit doco?)

It may make sense to flesh out the usage information too, i.e. the
stuff you get when calling 'grails help'. Or is that what you are
referring to?

Peter

--
Peter Ledbrook
Developer Advocate
VMware

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Change to doco

pmcneil

On 17/08/12 00:51, Peter Ledbrook wrote:

>> Can we please add this info to the doco where an environment can be
>> specified?
>>
>> grails [env]* run-app
>>
>> [env] can be 'dev' 'prod' or  you can specify a custom environment using
>> -Dgrails.env=mycustomenv
>>
>> (can I edit doco?)
> It may make sense to flesh out the usage information too, i.e. the
> stuff you get when calling 'grails help'. Or is that what you are
> referring to?
I was referring to the online doco but yes we should flesh out the help
because it didn't.

Cheers,
Peter.

--
web: http://nerderg.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/pmcneil


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email