ClassNotFoundException in running Book example

ClassNotFoundException in running Book example

David Sells-2

Hi Everyone,

I am having a difficult time getting the 'book' example to load in Tomcat 5.5.

There is the following ClassNotFoundException:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.opensymphony.webwork.portlet.servlet.WebWorkVelocityServlet

at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1332)

at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1181)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1027)

In webwork-2.2.1.jar there is a class:

com.opensymphony.webwork.views.velocity.WebWorkVelocityServlet

but I cannot find the 'portal' version identified in the ClassNotFoundException.

Am I using a wrong version of WebWorks? Is there a separate jar that I need to download?

Thanks for any assistance on this. Grails looks very interesting.

David

Re: ClassNotFoundException in running Book example

graemer
Hi David,

Are you sure you don't have some other apps deployed within Tomcat
that could be causing the error? Grails doesn't use WebWork, doesn't
include any webwork jars and has no references to the WebWork project
within it at all.

Graeme

On 04/02/06, David Sells <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am having a difficult time getting the 'book' example to load in Tomcat
> 5.5.
>
> There is the following ClassNotFoundException:
>
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> com.opensymphony.webwork.portlet.servlet.WebWorkVelocityServlet
>
> at
> org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1332)
>
> at
> org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1181)
>
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1027)
>
> In webwork-2.2.1.jar there is a class:
>
> com.opensymphony.webwork.views.velocity.WebWorkVelocityServlet
>
> but I cannot find the 'portal' version identified in the
> ClassNotFoundException.
>
> Am I using a wrong version of WebWorks? Is there a separate jar that I need
> to download?
>

> Thanks for any assistance on this. Grails looks very interesting.
>
> David

RE: ClassNotFoundException in running Book example

David Sells-2
Thank-you Graeme,

The error was from some other application I had test run in the past.

I did, however, still have a problem.  The directory structure of the
deployed application did match with the web configuration's expectations.

The URL: http://localhost:8080/books/books  is mapped to
/WEB-INF/grails-app/views/listBooks.jsp
but in the deployment listBooks.jsp is in: /WEB-INF/jsp/listBooks.jsp

Below is the error message:
HTTP Status 404 - /WEB-INF/grails-app/views/listBooks.jsp

type Status report

message /WEB-INF/grails-app/views/listBooks.jsp

description The requested resource (/WEB-INF/grails-app/views/listBooks.jsp)
is not available.

What configuration parameter/file do I need to alter?  Did I generate this
war file from the wrong level in the directory structure?

Thanks, David

Are you sure you don't have some other apps deployed within Tomcat
that could be causing the error? Grails doesn't use WebWork, doesn't
include any webwork jars and has no references to the WebWork project
within it at all.

Graeme

On 04/02/06, David Sells <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am having a difficult time getting the 'book' example to load in Tomcat
> 5.5.
>
> There is the following ClassNotFoundException:
>
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> com.opensymphony.webwork.portlet.servlet.WebWorkVelocityServlet
>
> at

org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.jav
a:1332)

> at

org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.jav
a:1181)

> at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:10
27)

> In webwork-2.2.1.jar there is a class:
>
> com.opensymphony.webwork.views.velocity.WebWorkVelocityServlet
>
> but I cannot find the 'portal' version identified in the
> ClassNotFoundException.
>
> Am I using a wrong version of WebWorks? Is there a separate jar that I
need
> to download?
>

> Thanks for any assistance on this. Grails looks very interesting.
>
> David

Re: ClassNotFoundException in running Book example

graemer
The sample you're looking at actually uses webflows which are
currently under review and may also be effected by a bug in groovy
that prevents loading multiple classes from a file with the loadClass
method.

I recommend you go through the QuickStart tutorial until we have some
better samples for you to look at:
http://grails.codehaus.org/Quick+Start :-)