Comparison between rails and grails

José Vilmar Estácio de Souza
Hi all.
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this type of message,
so I apologize in advance.
Also I apologize for my bad English.

My company is in the process of making decision to choose between grails
and rails. One thing in favor of grails is that some team members
already know and develop in java, but most likely we will have to
incorporate new participants to the team. On the other hand we have an
important customer who thinks seriously about adopting the rails, and if
this happens we may have problems.

My question is as follows:
Is there a document that makes a comparison between the two platforms?
Some items that I consider important in the comparison are:
* productivity
* learning curve
* cost of learning
  * ease of use
* performance
* ease of installation, configuration and deploy
* documentation
* existence of plugins for common tasks
* Evolution of the platforms
* integration with other tecnologies

Thank you in advance.

--
{}S José Vilmar Estácio de Souza

Re: Comparison between rails and grails

paolo.foletto
I have used rails for developing some projects
IMHO
1) productivity is similar
2) learning curve is similar, if some of your developer is using java they can istantly programming in grails
it is easy to start it is difficult to improve later on the hard task ( no shortcut to the hard work)
3) cost of learning very reasonable
4) ease of use
5) performance in production the performance of the application depends on the skill of the systemist
the implementaiton of ruby with the best perfomance ruby is JRuby ( based on java) and groovy 2.0 permits to compile static
the performance of dynamic languages is similar
6) easy for ruby and rubyonrails, 1 click for grails
configuration is not an easy task
deploy in a java enviroment for grails is one click
using the right tools you can get similar outcomes with rails

7) documentation very good more books on rails than in grails
8) about 1K plugin for grails , 40k plugins for rails mor plugins for rails on UI
9) evolution of the platforms : very good for grails and rails
10) integration with other tecnologies : in the enterprise enviroment better grails than rails

there are others 3 important items
1) I like the concept of domain class and I dislike the conceptual dependecy on the database tables of rails
2) there more rails developers the grails developer
3) the decision depends on the customer and on the asset of the company in java
If the company has developed some library o frameworks in java
it is better grails
Hi Paolo

2013/10/1 José Vilmar Estácio de Souza <[hidden email]>
[...]

Studio Ingegneria dell'Informazione
via Marconi,1 35040 Carceri (PD)
cell 335 615 23 53
http://it.linkedin.com/in/paolofoletto
Posta Elettronica Certificata paolo.foletto[at]ingpec.eu

Posta Elettronica Certificata paolo.foletto[at]ingpec.eu

Re: Comparison between rails and grails

alxndrsn
On 2 October 2013 01:49, Domingo Suárez Torres <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Embrace the JVM
> http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/09/the-second-coming-of-java/2/

You're recommending jRuby on Rails?

Re: Comparison between rails and grails

Sebastian Gozin
That seems like an excellent idea.
If you like rails that is.

On 02 Oct 2013, at 08:48, Alex Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2 October 2013 01:49, Domingo Suárez Torres <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Embrace the JVM
>> http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/09/the-second-coming-of-java/2/
>
> You're recommending jRuby on Rails?

Re: Comparison between rails and grails

José Vilmar Estácio de Souza
Hi paolo.
Thank you for your opinions, they helped a lot in the decision.
Another company using grails and another person to annoy the list!
Thanks.

--
{}S José Vilmar Estácio de Souza