Debug Grails with Google App Engine Plugin on STS

Debug Grails with Google App Engine Plugin on STS

Diego Ferreira da Silva
Hello,

I'm trying to debug an application that uses the grails plugin for google app engine, I'm using STS, I tried through the options: Debug-> Grails Command-> app-engine run and Debug-> Grails Comman (run-app).

But the application never stops at my breakpoints in an application that does not use the plugin for google app engine debugging works perfectly.

Someone has been there?

Sorry my english.

Thanks.

--
Diego Ferreira da Silva
Bacharel em Sistemas de Informação - Uniube
http://www.diegosilva.com.br

Re: Debug Grails with Google App Engine Plugin on STS

Andrew Eisenberg
Hi Diego,

I just tried out a small project with the app-engine plugin and I do
see that breakpoints are not being reached.  This may have something
to do with how the app-engine plugin compiles code into a different
location than normal grails projects, or it may have something to do
with AST transforms.  I'll have a deeper look.

ps- for a faster response, please post STS questions to the forum:
http://forum.springsource.org/forumdisplay.php?f=32

There is also the DataNucleus bytecode enhancement of classes that happens there. Could that be a factor as well?

Re: Debug Grails with Google App Engine Plugin on STS

Andrew Eisenberg
That very well could be.

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Roshan Dawrani <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 11:49 PM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Diego,
>>
>> I just tried out a small project with the app-engine plugin and I do
>> see that breakpoints are not being reached.  This may have something
>> to do with how the app-engine plugin compiles code into a different
>> location than normal grails projects, or it may have something to do
>> with AST transforms.  I'll have a deeper look.
>
> There is also the DataNucleus bytecode enhancement of classes that happens
> there. Could that be a factor as well?

Re: Debug Grails with Google App Engine Plugin on STS

Diego Ferreira da Silva
Ok, thanks for help!

http://www.diegosilva.com.br

Re: Debug Grails with Google App Engine Plugin on STS

Andrew Eisenberg
I created this bug report:
https://issuetracker.springsource.com/browse/STS-1623

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Diego Ferreira da Silva
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, thanks for help!
>
> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 3:19 PM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Diego,
>>
>> I just tried out a small project with the app-engine plugin and I do
>> see that breakpoints are not being reached.  This may have something
>> to do with how the app-engine plugin compiles code into a different
>> location than normal grails projects, or it may have something to do
>> with AST transforms.  I'll have a deeper look.
>>
>> ps- for a faster response, please post STS questions to the forum:
>> http://forum.springsource.org/forumdisplay.php?f=32
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 5:58 AM, Diego Ferreira da Silva
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I'm trying to debug an application that uses the grails plugin for
>> > google
>> > app engine, I'm using STS, I tried through the options: Debug-> Grails
>> > Command-> app-engine run and Debug-> Grails Comman (run-app).
>> >
>> > But the application never stops at my breakpoints in an application that
>> > does not use the plugin for google app engine debugging works perfectly.
>> >
>> > Someone has been there?
>> >
>> > Sorry my english.
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Diego Ferreira da Silva
>> > Bacharel em Sistemas de Informação - Uniube
>> > Sun Certified Java Programmer 6
>> > 61-8112-2299
>> > http://www.diegosilva.com.br

> Diego Ferreira da Silva
> Bacharel em Sistemas de Informação - Uniube
> Sun Certified Java Programmer 6
> 61-8112-2299
> http://www.diegosilva.com.br

Re: Debug Grails with Google App Engine Plugin on STS

Andrew Eisenberg
After a bit of exploration, it seems like the app-engine plugin runs
the grails-app in a separate plugin in a separate vm.  For this
reason, none of your grails artifacts are being loaded by the vm that
you are debugging and so your breakpoints will never be reached by
that vm.

I found a blog post on how to do remote debugging in Eclipse when
using GAE.  This post doesn't mention grails, but you may be able to
use some of the ideas in that post to remote debug the spawned grails
process:

http://thoughts.inphina.com/2010/06/24/remote-debugging-google-app-engine-application-on-eclipse/

At this point, the problem does not look like an STS issue and I'd
recommend asking a GAE expert on this if the post above doesn't help
you.