Quantcast

Deprecating The Grails Mailing Lists

123

Deprecating The Grails Mailing Lists

Jeff Scott Brown-2
Attention Grails Users:

The Grails user mailing lists have served us well for a long time but it is time for us to move away from them.  One of the motivations for the move is the role that StackOverflow has taken on for us.  StackOverflow has a lot of great features to offer over and above what we get from the mailing list and a lot of folks have migrated over there anyway for asking Grails questions.  As it is right now the support channel is bisected with some questions being posted to the mailing list and some questions being posted to StackOverflow.  Some questions are being posted in both places.  A more efficient and productive way to move forward is for us to have 1 place for users to post technical questions about using the framework and effective immediately, that one place will be StackOverflow.  We have not decided how long the Grails User mailing list will be kept alive but it is out there for now and will stay for the time being.  The only thing that you should use the Grails User mailing list for at this point is responding to already existing ongoing threads.  Please do not start any new threads and please do not respond to any newly created threads.  All technical questions about using the framework should be posted to StackOverflow.

When posting questions to StackOverflow please tag the questions with "grails" if your intent is to attract the attention of the Grails core developers and members of the community who are interested in monitoring those questions.  If you aren't sure if a question is really Grails related tag it with "grails" and any other tags that you think might be relevant.  This is one of the numerous benefits that StackOverflow is going to offer.  Right now if you wanted to target a question to both the Grails community and the Groovy community, there is no good way to do that without posting notes to 2 separate mailing lists where the discussion would be fragmented.  Don't tag the question with every technology that your app uses.  Try to narrow down to the ones you think are relevant to the question.  Don't tag every Grails question with both "grails" and "groovy".  If it really is just a question about the framework just use "grails".  The same goes with other technologies like hibernate, jquery or anything else that you might happen to be using in Grails app.

To monitor activity on StackOverflow you have a number of options.  One of course is to visit http://www.stackoverflow.com with your browser.  Another that works well for me is I take advantage of RSS feeds like http://stackoverflow.com/feeds/tag?tagnames=grails&sort=newest.  I collect all of the feeds I am interested in watching in my http://feedly.com/ account and I use Reeder (http://reederapp.com/) on my desktop, laptop and all of my mobile devices and associated Reeder with my Feedly account.  All of that was very simple to setup and works well for me but there is no reason you have to use any of that to participate on StackOverflow.

StackOverflow is designed specifically for asking technical questions.  For other discussions about the framework we have created a Google Group at http://groups.google.com/d/forum/grails-dev-discuss.  The intent of the group is to provide a forum for discussions about the framework similar to what the Grails Dev mailing list (as distinct from the Grails User mailing list) has historically been used for.  The Grails Dev list is being deprecated as well.  As with the Grails User list, please only use the Grails Dev list to respond to existing threads.  Please do not create any new threads on the Grails Dev list and please do not respond to any newly created threads on the Grails Dev list.

Another point of interest, in case you aren’t aware of it, The Groovy Weekly is available http://us4.campaign-archive1.com/home/?u=cb8b56e9d6a1cb1696cecc673&id=1a76961630.  That is another great resource to keep an eye on what is going on in the Groovy community in general.

We anticipate that moving our technical question support channel to StackOverflow is going to provide a big benefit for the community.  Thanks for all of your help.

JSB

Jeff Scott Brown
[hidden email]

Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Re: Deprecating The Grails Mailing Lists

zyro
and what is your plan for announcements or more general questions (e.g.
regarding the next grails release or the state of a plugin and alike)?

i really, really hope this will not backfire and cause even more
fragmentation of information.

zyro

> [...]

> Another point of interest, in case you aren’t aware of it, The Groovy Weekly is available http://us4.campaign-archive1.com/home/?u=cb8b56e9d6a1cb1696cecc673&id=1a76961630.  That is another great resource to keep an eye on what is going on in the Groovy community in general.
>
> We anticipate that moving our technical question support channel to StackOverflow is going to provide a big benefit for the community.  Thanks for all of your help.
>

> JSB
>
> —
> Jeff Scott Brown
> [hidden email]
>
> Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
> http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Re: Deprecating The Grails Mailing Lists

Graeme Rocher-2
More general discussion and announcement can and will be sent to the
new Google group.

We need to move away from Codehaus infrastructure and the mailing list
is the last thing we have on Codehaus, so we couldn't just maintained
'grails-dev' but since moving questions to Stack Overflow is something
we see as beneficial it seems to be the right time to change to a
Google group for general discussion around the framework (not
questions) and announcements

Cheers

On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 1:46 PM, zyro <[hidden email]> wrote:

> and what is your plan for announcements or more general questions (e.g.
> regarding the next grails release or the state of a plugin and alike)?
>
> i really, really hope this will not backfire and cause even more
> fragmentation of information.
>
> zyro

SpringSource

On May 9, 2014 at 6:47:54 AM, zyro ([hidden email]) wrote:
> and what is your plan for announcements or more general questions (e.g.
> regarding the next grails release or the state of a plugin and alike)?
>
> i really, really hope this will not backfire and cause even more
> fragmentation of information.

See Graeme’s response.

I don’t see how this could cause even more fragmentation.  Technical questions go to StackOverflow and announcements and more general discussions go to the Google Group.  There will be things that come up that may be in the grey area but surely we will have less fragmentation than before, not more.  There was no delineation at all about what went to the user list and what went to StackOverflow before.  Those 2 served the same purpose.  That was a problem.

JSB

Jeff Scott Brown
[hidden email]

Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Re: Deprecating The Grails Mailing Lists

Graeme Rocher-2
The nabble archive will continue to exist

On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 3:26 PM, Brad Rhoads <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> what the Grails Dev mailing list (as distinct from the Grails User mailing
>> list) has historically been used for.  The Grails Dev list is being
>> deprecated as well.  As with the Grails User list, please only use the
>> Grails Dev list to respond to existing threads.  Please do not create any
>> new threads on the Grails Dev list and please do not respond to any newly
>> created threads on the Grails Dev list.
>>
>> Another point of interest, in case you aren’t aware of it, The Groovy
>> Weekly is available
>> http://us4.campaign-archive1.com/home/?u=cb8b56e9d6a1cb1696cecc673&id=1a76961630.
>> That is another great resource to keep an eye on what is going on in the
>> Groovy community in general.
>>
>> We anticipate that moving our technical question support channel to
>> StackOverflow is going to provide a big benefit for the community.  Thanks

SpringSource

Re: Deprecating The Grails Mailing Lists

Owen Rubel
all in favor of a grails usenet group say 'comp.lang.groovy' and 'comp.lang.grails' :)

Re: Deprecating The Grails Mailing Lists

Eric MacAdie
'comp.lang.groovy' and
'comp.lang.grails' :)

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Owen Rubel <[hidden email]> wrote:
all in favor of a grails usenet group say 'comp.lang.groovy' and
'comp.lang.grails' :)

Re: Deprecating The Grails Mailing Lists

rainerfrey
Hi,
why not create a Grails Users google group? Stackoverflow is so limited by its strict format that requires questions that have "right" answers and don't allow for any debate. There are open questions/discussions on how to best achieve certain things with grails that are no suitable for Stackoverflow yet are not related to the development of the framework itself and would not have been appropriate for the dev mailing list.

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 4:42 AM, Eric MacAdie <[hidden email]> wrote:
'comp.lang.groovy' and
'comp.lang.grails' :)

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Owen Rubel <[hidden email]> wrote:
all in favor of a grails usenet group say 'comp.lang.groovy' and
'comp.lang.grails' :)

Re: Deprecating The Grails Mailing Lists

Bob Brown
I like this idea, so +1 from me.

What often bothers me about Stackoverflow is that the signal to noise ratio
can be very small.

One often sees unchallenged responses in abandoned questions that are
hopelessly wrong, out of date or misleading. There's no curating happening
but everything comes up in searches and so on with equal weight.

Somehow, in a list (even a searchable, archived one) things get a lifetime
and pass out of the window of current-ness (hope that makes sense).

Plus, one often gets drive-by 'contributors' with axes to grind ("You
shouldn't be doing it in Grails! Use Super-Duper XYZ v3.7.9.4.1.alpha
Framework instead! It can do reverse Polish database access better than
anything else!" or "I tried Grails once. It didn't work efficiently on my
8086 minix laptop, so it's clearly a P.O.S.. Bash scripting FTW! I mean, I
handle _tens_ of requests per minute on my box <grin>").

Again, this seems to happen less in a list.

The cumulative effect has the potential to constitute bad PR for Grails,
IM(NS)HO.

There's my AUD$0.02c.

Whether this is a contribution to signal or noise is up in the air, I
guess...

BOB
Should I don an asbestos suite?

cazacugmihai
+1 from me, also.

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 1:44 PM, Bob Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
I like this idea, so +1 from me.

What often bothers me about Stackoverflow is that the signal to noise ratio
can be very small.

One often sees unchallenged responses in abandoned questions that are
hopelessly wrong, out of date or misleading. There's no curating happening
but everything comes up in searches and so on with equal weight.

Somehow, in a list (even a searchable, archived one) things get a lifetime
and pass out of the window of current-ness (hope that makes sense).

Plus, one often gets drive-by 'contributors' with axes to grind ("You
shouldn't be doing it in Grails! Use Super-Duper XYZ v3.7.9.4.1.alpha
Framework instead! It can do reverse Polish database access better than
anything else!" or "I tried Grails once. It didn't work efficiently on my
8086 minix laptop, so it's clearly a P.O.S.. Bash scripting FTW! I mean, I
handle _tens_ of requests per minute on my box <grin>").

Again, this seems to happen less in a list.

The cumulative effect has the potential to constitute bad PR for Grails,
IM(NS)HO.

There's my AUD$0.02c.

Whether this is a contribution to signal or noise is up in the air, I
guess...

BOB
Should I don an asbestos suite?

Mihai Cazacu
Software Engineer
E-mail: [hidden email]
Mobile: +40 745 254 657
Linkedin: cazacugmihai
Skype: cazacugmihai
Twitter: cazacugmihai

Re: Deprecating The Grails Mailing Lists

Graeme Rocher-2
I think that the "Grails-Dev-Discuss' group can serve as a channel for
discussion too (hence the name)

It is technical/support questions that we want on Stack Overflow from
now on, but feel free to discuss features or plugins on
'Grails-Dev-Discuss'

Cheers

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 12:44 PM, Bob Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I like this idea, so +1 from me.
>
> What often bothers me about Stackoverflow is that the signal to noise ratio
> can be very small.
>
> One often sees unchallenged responses in abandoned questions that are
> hopelessly wrong, out of date or misleading. There's no curating happening
> but everything comes up in searches and so on with equal weight.
>
> Somehow, in a list (even a searchable, archived one) things get a lifetime
> and pass out of the window of current-ness (hope that makes sense).
>
> Plus, one often gets drive-by 'contributors' with axes to grind ("You
> shouldn't be doing it in Grails! Use Super-Duper XYZ v3.7.9.4.1.alpha
> Framework instead! It can do reverse Polish database access better than
> anything else!" or "I tried Grails once. It didn't work efficiently on my
> 8086 minix laptop, so it's clearly a P.O.S.. Bash scripting FTW! I mean, I
> handle _tens_ of requests per minute on my box <grin>").
>
> Again, this seems to happen less in a list.
>
> The cumulative effect has the potential to constitute bad PR for Grails,
> IM(NS)HO.
>
> There's my AUD$0.02c.
>
> Whether this is a contribution to signal or noise is up in the air, I
> guess...
>
> BOB
> Should I don an asbestos suite?

graham
I agree... while I have used Stackoverflow at times I do find that its format is not always helpful. You certainly can find a specific answer, if you're lucky, but useful, interesting discussion is at a minimum and there is little to be learned by browsing the topics - and over the years I've picked up quite a lot of useful information simply by following interesting topics here. And the avoidance of "opinion" is a big disadvantage; there have been many useful threads here along the lines of "what do you think is the best way to ... ?" and the answers are usually pure opinion.

As for google groups - well , as my organisation has to pay UK corporation tax when it makes ANY profit I have been avoiding google recently, with some success. Indeed, when I did try to sign up for a google group some months ago to follow a grails-related topic, it wouldn't let me set up an account for some reason, and despite a few attempts (different browsers, emails etc.) I had to give up.

graham

On May 14, 2014 at 1:46:59 PM, graham ([hidden email]) wrote:

> As for google groups - well , as my organisation has to pay UK corporation
> tax when it makes ANY profit I have been avoiding google recently, with some
> success.

I am not following.  What does your organizations tax have to do with using or avoiding Google?

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 2:08 PM, Jeff Scott Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On May 14, 2014 at 1:46:59 PM, graham ([hidden email]) wrote:
>>

>> As for google groups - well , as my organisation has to pay UK corporation
>> tax when it makes ANY profit I have been avoiding google recently, with some
>> success.
>
> I am not following.  What does your organizations tax have to do with using or avoiding Google?

Think it relates to the recent controversy in the UK about Google not
paying any UK tax

Cheers

> JSB
> —
> Jeff Scott Brown
> [hidden email]
>
> Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
> http://www.autismspeaks.org/

SpringSource

Re: Deprecating The Grails Mailing Lists

Harlan H. Bloom
I've seen recently that more and more technical groups are getting away from mailing lists.  I personally like the mailing lists because I can actually read them when I'm offline.

I commute to work using public transportation.  This is almost the only time that I have available to try and keep up with current technology or interests.  While on the buses, I almost never have access to the internet.  Forums are not convenient at all.  Plus all my interests are in one place, instead of having to jump from one site to another all day long.

I do have a smartphone and I do tether my computer to the phone.  However, I also have a limited amount of usage for each month.  If I had to stay online to scan all the different forums, I wouldn't be able to afford my phone bill.

I realize I'm in the severe minority on this topic, especially since I'm not a regular contributor.

Please keep the email groups somehow.

Thanks,

Harlan...

What often bothers me about Stackoverflow is that the signal to noise ratio
can be very small.

One often sees unchallenged responses in abandoned questions that are
hopelessly wrong, out of date or misleading. There's no curating happening
but everything comes up in searches and so on with equal weight.

Somehow, in a list (even a searchable, archived one) things get a lifetime
and pass out of the window of current-ness (hope that makes sense).

Plus, one often gets drive-by 'contributors' with axes to grind ("You
shouldn't be doing it in Grails! Use Super-Duper XYZ v3.7.9.4.1.alpha
Framework instead! It can do reverse Polish database access better than
anything else!" or "I tried Grails once. It didn't work efficiently on my
8086 minix laptop, so it's clearly a P.O.S.. Bash scripting FTW! I mean, I
handle _tens_ of requests per minute on my box <grin>").

Again, this seems to happen less in a list.

The cumulative effect has the potential to constitute bad PR for Grails,
IM(NS)HO.

There's my AUD$0.02c.

Whether this is a contribution to signal or noise is up in the air, I
guess...

BOB
Should I don an asbestos suite?

Graeme Rocher-2 wrote
>> As for google groups - well , as my organisation has to pay UK corporation
>> tax when it makes ANY profit I have been avoiding google recently, with some
>> success.
>
> I am not following.  What does your organizations tax have to do with using or avoiding Google?

Think it relates to the recent controversy in the UK about Google not
paying any UK tax
Indeed it does - but not just in the UK, I should point out.

graham

Re: Deprecating The Grails Mailing Lists

José Vilmar Estácio de Souza
+1.
Another point in favor of the mailing list is accessibility.

The forums do not always have a very good accessibility, which makes it
a little more difficult to access by blind people like me
Thanks.

On 05/14/2014 10:26 AM, Harlan H. Bloom wrote:

> I've seen recently that more and more technical groups are getting away from mailing lists.  I personally like the mailing lists because I can actually read them when I'm offline.
>
> I commute to work using public transportation.  This is almost the only time that I have available to try and keep up with current technology or interests.  While on the buses, I almost never have access to the internet.  Forums are not convenient at all.  Plus all my interests are in one place, instead of having to jump from one site to another all day long.
>
> I do have a smartphone and I do tether my computer to the phone.  However, I also have a limited amount of usage for each month.  If I had to stay online to scan all the different forums, I wouldn't be able to afford my phone bill.
>
> I realize I'm in the severe minority on this topic, especially since I'm not a regular contributor.
>
> Please keep the email groups somehow.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Harlan...

{}S José Vilmar Estácio de Souza

Re: Deprecating The Grails Mailing Lists

David Estes
Most forums have RSS feeds. You can always use these tied into an RSS reeder to sink the content for offline viewing.

--
David Estes

+1.