Deprecating The Grails Mailing Lists

Jeff Scott Brown-2
Attention Grails Users:

The Grails user mailing lists have served us well for a long time but it is time for us to move away from them.  One of the motivations for the move is the role that StackOverflow has taken on for us.  StackOverflow has a lot of great features to offer over and above what we get from the mailing list and a lot of folks have migrated over there anyway for asking Grails questions.  As it is right now the support channel is bisected with some questions being posted to the mailing list and some questions being posted to StackOverflow.  Some questions are being posted in both places.  A more efficient and productive way to move forward is for us to have 1 place for users to post technical questions about using the framework and effective immediately, that one place will be StackOverflow.  We have not decided how long the Grails User mailing list will be kept alive but it is out there for now and will stay for the time being.  The only thing that you should use the Grails User mailing list for at this point is responding to already existing ongoing threads.  Please do not start any new threads and please do not respond to any newly created threads.  All technical questions about using the framework should be posted to StackOverflow.

When posting questions to StackOverflow please tag the questions with "grails" if your intent is to attract the attention of the Grails core developers and members of the community who are interested in monitoring those questions.  If you aren't sure if a question is really Grails related tag it with "grails" and any other tags that you think might be relevant.  This is one of the numerous benefits that StackOverflow is going to offer.  Right now if you wanted to target a question to both the Grails community and the Groovy community, there is no good way to do that without posting notes to 2 separate mailing lists where the discussion would be fragmented.  Don't tag the question with every technology that your app uses.  Try to narrow down to the ones you think are relevant to the question.  Don't tag every Grails question with both "grails" and "groovy".  If it really is just a question about the framework just use "grails".  The same goes with other technologies like hibernate, jquery or anything else that you might happen to be using in Grails app.

To monitor activity on StackOverflow you have a number of options.  One of course is to visit http://www.stackoverflow.com with your browser.  Another that works well for me is I take advantage of RSS feeds like http://stackoverflow.com/feeds/tag?tagnames=grails&sort=newest.  I collect all of the feeds I am interested in watching in my http://feedly.com/ account and I use Reeder (http://reederapp.com/) on my desktop, laptop and all of my mobile devices and associated Reeder with my Feedly account.  All of that was very simple to setup and works well for me but there is no reason you have to use any of that to participate on StackOverflow.

StackOverflow is designed specifically for asking technical questions.  For other discussions about the framework we have created a Google Group at http://groups.google.com/d/forum/grails-dev-discuss.  The intent of the group is to provide a forum for discussions about the framework similar to what the Grails Dev mailing list (as distinct from the Grails User mailing list) has historically been used for.  The Grails Dev list is being deprecated as well.  As with the Grails User list, please only use the Grails Dev list to respond to existing threads.  Please do not create any new threads on the Grails Dev list and please do not respond to any newly created threads on the Grails Dev list.

Another point of interest, in case you aren’t aware of it, The Groovy Weekly is available http://us4.campaign-archive1.com/home/?u=cb8b56e9d6a1cb1696cecc673&id=1a76961630.  That is another great resource to keep an eye on what is going on in the Groovy community in general.

We anticipate that moving our technical question support channel to StackOverflow is going to provide a big benefit for the community.  Thanks for all of your help.

JSB

Jeff Scott Brown
[hidden email]

Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Re: [grails-user] Deprecating The Grails Mailing Lists

Graeme Rocher-2
The nabble archive will continue to exist

SpringSource