Documentation for Maven integration

rlovtangen
The maven integration is getting better and better, but one area that needs some love is the documentation.
I have looked at the current state of the documentation, and here are my thoughts:

1) The 'main' Maven info page, http://www.grails.org/Maven+Support (linked to from http://www.grails.org/Documentation):
This page is not about using Maven to build Grails at all? Includes info about uploading artifacts to Codehaus, i.e. info for grails developers, not end users. I find this page totally misleading and irrelevant for users that looks for info on how to mavenize their grails project. This page could probably be replaced by a link to the official documentation at http://grails.org/doc/latest/, and some of the information should be moved to http://www.grails.org/Developer+-+Maven+Integration?

2) There is also another page about Grails + Maven, http://www.grails.org/Maven+Integration:
I found this page via Google. Couldn't find any links to it from grails.org? If this page is obsolete, it should be removed.
This page actually has some relevant information, but is outdated. It's better to update http://grails.org/doc/latest/ I think.

3) So, the documentation at http://grails.org/doc/latest/:
This is where the documentation should be I think. It already has quite some info, but needs an update:

Chapter 4.5 Ant and Maven, under heading "Maven Integration":

* "the version created by Octo"
 -> Link to Octo is dead. Remove link, or change to Octo's home page?

* "To make life easier for you, we do recommend that you add a plugin group for Grails to your Maven settings file"
 -> What are the benefits of this? Sounds like I don't have to, what are the consequences if I don't? What if I do, and some of my team mates don't? Should probably be clarified.

* The archetype command should be updated to:
mvn archetype:generate -DarchetypeGroupId=org.grails -DarchetypeArtifactId=grails-maven-archetype -DarchetypeVersion=1.3.2 -DgroupId=example -DartifactId=my-app
(i.e. update grails version number, and remove archetypeRepository http://snapshots.repository.codehaus.org as the archetype now is in maven central)

* Add info about debugging (as documented at http://www.grails.org/Maven+Integration)

* Add info about adding more memory to MAVEN_OPTS  (as documented at http://www.grails.org/Maven+Integration)

* Does the note about uncommenting 'mavenCentral()' in BuildConfig.groovy, as documented at http://www.grails.org/Maven+Integration, still apply? If so, this info should also be added to this chapter.

Chapter 3.7.7 Maven Integration

* When setting 'pom true', does this "disable" all other settings under grails.project.dependency.resolution (inherits, log, repositories, dependencies etc)?
I asked about this on the mailing list, but didn't get any replys. If these properties do get disabled, maven users should probably remove or comment them out to avoid confusion.

Chapter 3.7.8 Deploying to a Maven Repository

* This chapter is for users that does *not* have a mavenized grails project right? Users that build their grails project with maven should use the standard maven commands ('mvn install', 'mvn deploy')?
Should be a note about this, it looks like this chapter is for grails maven users, while it's actually not.

Chapter 3.7.9 Plugin Dependencies
* How should maven users configure plugin dependencies? In the same way as described here? Or in pom.xml, if so, how?

4) And then there is http://www.grails.org/Developer+-+Maven+Integration, which is not for end users but for Grails developers. This page should be updated as well (archetype command, dependency grails-bootstrap, update version numbers etc)
Some of the documentation from http://www.grails.org/Maven+Support should be moved here.

Ok, that's my thoughts so far. I may have missed some bits and pieces. Should I add a Jira for all this?

Ronny

Re: Documentation for Maven integration

Graeme Rocher-3
Patches to the documentation are welcome. Please file a JIRA and attach a patch.

On 4 Jul 2010, at 18:10, Ronny Løvtangen wrote:

> [...]
> Should be a note about this, it looks like this chapter is for grails maven users, while it's actually not.
>

> Chapter 3.7.9 Plugin Dependencies
> * How should maven users configure plugin dependencies? In the same way as described here? Or in pom.xml, if so, how?
>

> 4) And then there is http://www.grails.org/Developer+-+Maven+Integration, which is not for end users but for Grails developers. This page should be updated as well (archetype command, dependency grails-bootstrap, update version numbers etc)
> Some of the documentation from http://www.grails.org/Maven+Support should be moved here.
>

> Ok, that's my thoughts so far. I may have missed some bits and pieces. Should I add a Jira for all this?

Ok, I will file a JIRA with a patch.
To make a good patch I first need someone with insight to the maven support to answer my many questions beneath.

Thanks,
Ronny

On Jul 5, 2010, at 9:41 AM, Graeme Rocher wrote:

> [...]
>> Should be a note about this, it looks like this chapter is for grails maven users, while it's actually not.
>>

>> Chapter 3.7.9 Plugin Dependencies
>> * How should maven users configure plugin dependencies? In the same way as described here? Or in pom.xml, if so, how?
>>

>> 4) And then there is http://www.grails.org/Developer+-+Maven+Integration, which is not for end users but for Grails developers. This page should be updated as well (archetype command, dependency grails-bootstrap, update version numbers etc)
>> Some of the documentation from http://www.grails.org/Maven+Support should be moved here.
>>

>> Ok, that's my thoughts so far. I may have missed some bits and pieces. Should I add a Jira for all this?

pledbrook
> 1) The 'main' Maven info page, http://www.grails.org/Maven+Support (linked to from http://www.grails.org/Documentation):
> This page is not about using Maven to build Grails at all? Includes info about uploading artifacts to Codehaus, i.e. info for grails developers, not end users. I find this page totally misleading and irrelevant for users that looks for info on how to mavenize their grails project. This page could probably be replaced by a link to the official documentation at http://grails.org/doc/latest/, and some of the information should be moved to http://www.grails.org/Developer+-+Maven+Integration?

I've deprecated the Maven Support page and updated the Documentation
page to point to the user guide for Ant & Maven integration. If you
think anything from Maven Support should be copied to Developer Maven
Integration, please feel free to do so. They're both just wiki pages.

> 2) There is also another page about Grails + Maven, http://www.grails.org/Maven+Integration:
> I found this page via Google. Couldn't find any links to it from grails.org? If this page is obsolete, it should be removed.
> This page actually has some relevant information, but is outdated. It's better to update http://grails.org/doc/latest/ I think.

We can't remove wiki pages. I started to look at adding a special
deprecated tag which would ensure the page wasn't indexed by search
engines. I need to get back to that at some point. In the mean time, I
have added a warning box with a link, just like with Maven Support.

> Chapter 4.5 Ant and Maven, under heading "Maven Integration":
>
> * "the version created by Octo"
>  -> Link to Octo is dead. Remove link, or change to Octo's home page?

Change to their home page.

> * "To make life easier for you, we do recommend that you add a plugin group for Grails to your Maven settings file"
>  -> What are the benefits of this? Sounds like I don't have to, what are the consequences if I don't? What if I do, and some of my team mates don't? Should probably be clarified.

If you don't, you have to type the fully qualilfied names of the goals, e.g.

    mvn org.grails.grails:compile

The assumption is that Maven users know this already, but I agree it
makes sense to clarify it.

> * Does the note about uncommenting 'mavenCentral()' in BuildConfig.groovy, as documented at http://www.grails.org/Maven+Integration, still apply? If so, this info should also be added to this chapter.

Sorry, don't know the answer to this.

> Chapter 3.7.7 Maven Integration
>
> * When setting 'pom true', does this "disable" all other settings under grails.project.dependency.resolution (inherits, log, repositories, dependencies etc)?
> I asked about this on the mailing list, but didn't get any replys. If these properties do get disabled, maven users should probably remove or comment them out to avoid confusion.

I've just checked the code. It seems that it has no effect on the
other settings, so the POM dependencies are added on top of those
defined in the dependency DSL.

> Chapter 3.7.8 Deploying to a Maven Repository
>
> * This chapter is for users that does *not* have a mavenized grails project right? Users that build their grails project with maven should use the standard maven commands ('mvn install', 'mvn deploy')?
> Should be a note about this, it looks like this chapter is for grails maven users, while it's actually not.

Correct. It's particularly confusing as it follows on from a section
that *does* apply to Maven users. Section 3.7.7 should be moved to
chapter 4. We should also probably change the name of that, since
"Command Line" doesn't really hint at the Ant & Maven integration.

> Chapter 3.7.9 Plugin Dependencies
> * How should maven users configure plugin dependencies? In the same way as described here? Or in pom.xml, if so, how?

Ideally in the pom.xml, but that's not compatible with the way that
Grails 1.3 deals with them because of different packaging values. The
Grails Maven plugin currently expects a packaging type of
"grails-plugin", whereas Grails expects "zip".

Peter

Re: Documentation for Maven integration

rlovtangen
Thanks for the detailed answer Peter, and the quick update to the wiki.
I have done some changes to the wiki as well. Very nice with the open wiki!
I hope to eventually file a Jira with a patch to grails-doc.

Ronny

On Jul 6, 2010, at 6:34 PM, Peter Ledbrook wrote:

> [...]
>> Should be a note about this, it looks like this chapter is for grails maven users, while it's actually not.
>
> Correct. It's particularly confusing as it follows on from a section
> that *does* apply to Maven users. Section 3.7.7 should be moved to
> chapter 4. We should also probably change the name of that, since
> "Command Line" doesn't really hint at the Ant & Maven integration.
>
>> Chapter 3.7.9 Plugin Dependencies
>> * How should maven users configure plugin dependencies? In the same way as described here? Or in pom.xml, if so, how?
>
> Ideally in the pom.xml, but that's not compatible with the way that
> Grails 1.3 deals with them because of different packaging values. The
> Grails Maven plugin currently expects a packaging type of
> "grails-plugin", whereas Grails expects "zip".

created http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRAILS-6524

Ronny