Error handler in doDispatch took the crash - where is my stack trace?

Error handler in doDispatch took the crash - where is my stack trace?

Tim Pigden

My controller is returning me a blank page and I get a single line

>> Error handler in doDispatch took the crash

in my cmd window.

And I’m using default logging, so I would expect everything to go to the cmd window. Any idea under what circumstances I can expect nothing more?

Tim Pigden

+44 1992 517100

Optrak Distribution Software Ltd

Registration No. 2327613

Orland House, Mead Lane, Hertford, SG13 7AT

Vat No. 521 6845 50

www.optrak.co.uk

RE: Error handler in doDispatch took the crash - where is my stack trace?

Tim Pigden

Something called by my controller was throwing an exception. My log config was the default one with:

            codehaus.groovy.grails.web.servlet="error,stdout"  //  controllers

and I got no stack trace but I got the message

Error handler in doDispatch took the crash

But then I changed it to

            codehaus.groovy.grails.web.servlet="debug,stdout"  //  controllers

and I got a stack trace.

Question: why would doDispatch not log a stack trace when logging is on “error” level?

The relevant lines appear to be

[15344] servlet.GrailsDispatcherServlet Could not complete request

org.springframework.web.util.NestedServletException: Handler processing failed; nested exception is java.lang.AssertionError: DateFormat only formats dates not java.lang.Float. Expression: (date instanceof java.util.Date). Values: date = 156.03

                at org.codehaus.groovy.grails.web.servlet.GrailsDispatcherServlet.doDispatch(GrailsDispatcherServlet.java:288)

Tim

My controller is returning me a blank page and I get a single line

>> Error handler in doDispatch took the crash

in my cmd window.

And I’m using default logging, so I would expect everything to go to the cmd window. Any idea under what circumstances I can expect nothing more?

Tim Pigden

+44 1992 517100

Optrak Distribution Software Ltd

Registration No. 2327613

Orland House, Mead Lane, Hertford, SG13 7AT

Vat No. 521 6845 50

www.optrak.co.uk

Re: Error handler in doDispatch took the crash - where is my stack trace?

Graeme-Rocher
Raise an issue, attach a sample, we probably need to improve the error handling

Cheers

On Dec 11, 2007 1:01 PM, Tim Pigden <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Something called by my controller was throwing an exception. My log config
> was the default one with:
>
>             codehaus.groovy.grails.web.servlet="error,stdout"  //
> controllers
>
> and I got no stack trace but I got the message
>

> Error handler in doDispatch took the crash
>

> But then I changed it to
>
>             codehaus.groovy.grails.web.servlet="debug,stdout"  //
> controllers
>

> and I got a stack trace.
>
> Question: why would doDispatch not log a stack trace when logging is on
> "error" level?
>

> The relevant lines appear to be
>
> [15344] servlet.GrailsDispatcherServlet Could not complete request
>
> org.springframework.web.util.NestedServletException: Handler processing
> failed; nested exception is java.lang.AssertionError: DateFormat only
> formats dates not java.lang.Float. Expression: (date instanceof
> java.util.Date). Values: date = 156.03
>
>                 at
> org.codehaus.groovy.grails.web.servlet.GrailsDispatcherServlet.doDispatch(GrailsDispatcherServlet.java:288)
>
> Tim

G2One, Inc. Chief Technology Officer
http://www.g2one.com

RE: Error handler in doDispatch took the crash - where is my stack trace?

Tim Pigden
Ok, I'll do likewise on the other 2 issues unless someone tells me I'm
doing something wrong

Raise an issue, attach a sample, we probably need to improve the error
handling

Cheers

On Dec 11, 2007 1:01 PM, Tim Pigden <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Something called by my controller was throwing an exception. My log
config

> was the default one with:
>
>             codehaus.groovy.grails.web.servlet="error,stdout"  //
> controllers
>
> and I got no stack trace but I got the message
>

> Error handler in doDispatch took the crash
>

> But then I changed it to
>
>             codehaus.groovy.grails.web.servlet="debug,stdout"  //
> controllers
>

> and I got a stack trace.
>
> Question: why would doDispatch not log a stack trace when logging is
on
> "error" level?
>

> The relevant lines appear to be
>
> [15344] servlet.GrailsDispatcherServlet Could not complete request
>
> org.springframework.web.util.NestedServletException: Handler
processing
> failed; nested exception is java.lang.AssertionError: DateFormat only
> formats dates not java.lang.Float. Expression: (date instanceof
> java.util.Date). Values: date = 156.03
>
>                 at

org.codehaus.groovy.grails.web.servlet.GrailsDispatcherServlet.doDispatc
h(GrailsDispatcherServlet.java:288)

> Tim

Sorry, not reproducible on a small project. I'll have to leave it until
another time. I have jira'd the problem about the log output going to
console in integration tests.