GWT Plugin Example

12

GWT Plugin Example

Andre Pietsch
Hi!

I'm looking for a good example on using GWT with Grails.

Sure, there is a plugin and, sure, there are some some basic examples on calling the scripts the plugin provides.

But - greedy me - I would like to see an example where I can see a CRUD example on our Book domain class using GWT.

Is there something around there or would some cool guy provide this on this list?

There used to be a sample around (http://beta.iamkeke.com/blog/2007/09/15/grails-gwt-sample-ii/) but it gives a 404 now.

Thank you very much!

regards
Andre

Re: GWT Plugin Example

Andre Pietsch
Well, this amount of reaction does not look very promising to me...

Maybe somebody capable just missed the post?

Andre

scai_andre wrote
Hi!

I'm looking for a good example on using GWT with Grails.

Sure, there is a plugin and, sure, there are some some basic examples on calling the scripts the plugin provides.

But - greedy me - I would like to see an example where I can see a CRUD example on our Book domain class using GWT.

Is there something around there or would some cool guy provide this on this list?

There used to be a sample around (http://beta.iamkeke.com/blog/2007/09/15/grails-gwt-sample-ii/) but it gives a 404 now.

Thank you very much!

regards
Andre

Re: GWT Plugin Example

Peter Ledbrook
2008/6/5 scai_andre <[hidden email]>:

> Well, this amount of reaction does not look very promising to me...
>
> Maybe somebody capable just missed the post?

Sorry, I don't think there are any tutorials or examples currently. I
would love to do one, but I would need a fair bit of extra time, so I
doubt it will happen very soon.

I don't know if anyone else has done one yet.

Cheers,

Peter

--
Software Engineer
G2One, Inc.

Re: GWT Plugin Example

Andre Pietsch
Peter ,

no need to apologize :) You did a great job already!

But even if there is no complete sample application at hand: Starting from the sample given here, what do I have to do as next steps to have a "book application" (in a really rough text-only step-by-step description)?

There so little information around, that I wonder if it is possible at all to build an application as such.

Is it true I cannot access grails domain classes from gwt?

Regards,
Andre

Peter Ledbrook-2 wrote
2008/6/5 scai_andre <andre.pietsch@scai.de>:

> Well, this amount of reaction does not look very promising to me...
>
> Maybe somebody capable just missed the post?

Sorry, I don't think there are any tutorials or examples currently. I
would love to do one, but I would need a fair bit of extra time, so I
doubt it will happen very soon.

I don't know if anyone else has done one yet.

Cheers,

Peter

--
Software Engineer
G2One, Inc.
http://www.g2one.com/

Re: GWT Plugin Example

Jan Ehrhardt
Hi,

If you give me a day, I'll post an complete example in my blog (http://derjanandhisblog.blogspot.com). But I'll need a day for doing. I'll answering you tomorrow again on this, if it is ok for you.

Cheers
Jan

the sample given  http://grails.org/GWT+Plugin here , what do I have to do

Peter Ledbrook-2 wrote:

> 2008/6/5 scai_andre <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Well, this amount of reaction does not look very promising to me...
>>
>> Maybe somebody capable just missed the post?
>
> Sorry, I don't think there are any tutorials or examples currently. I
> would love to do one, but I would need a fair bit of extra time, so I
> doubt it will happen very soon.
>
> I don't know if anyone else has done one yet.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter
>
> --
> Software Engineer
> G2One, Inc.
> http://www.g2one.com/

Re: GWT Plugin Example

Andre Pietsch
Hi Jan,

that would be absolutely great!

Looking forward!

Regards,
Andre
Jan Ehrhardt wrote
Hi,

If you give me a day, I'll post an complete example in my blog (
http://derjanandhisblog.blogspot.com). But I'll need a day for doing. I'll
answering you tomorrow again on this, if it is ok for you.

Cheers
Jan

Re: GWT Plugin Example

Miguel Ping
By the way, how do you guys deal with lazy loading and serialization issues? You discard proxies or activate them?

Jan Ehrhardt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If you give me a day, I'll post an complete example in my blog (
> http://derjanandhisblog.blogspot.com). But I'll need a day for doing. I'll
> answering you tomorrow again on this, if it is ok for you.
>
> Cheers
> Jan

Re: GWT Plugin Example

Jan Ehrhardt
Sorry,

but I didn't finish the example yet. I'll try to finish it tomorrow.

Cheers
Jan

Am 05.06.2008 um 14:30 schrieb scai_andre:

> Hi Jan,
>
> that would be absolutely great!
>
> Looking forward!
>
> Regards,
> Andre
>
> Jan Ehrhardt wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If you give me a day, I'll post an complete example in my blog (
>> http://derjanandhisblog.blogspot.com). But I'll need a day for
>> doing. I'll
>> answering you tomorrow again on this, if it is ok for you.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Jan

Re: GWT Plugin Example

Andre Pietsch
Jan,

thanks for the info! Would be great if you could make it, but not at the price of a burnout :)
Jan Ehrhardt wrote
Sorry,

but I didn't finish the example yet. I'll try to finish it tomorrow.

Cheers
Jan

Am 05.06.2008 um 14:30 schrieb scai_andre:

> Hi Jan,
>
> that would be absolutely great!
>
> Looking forward!
>
> Regards,
> Andre
>
> Jan Ehrhardt wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If you give me a day, I'll post an complete example in my blog (
>> http://derjanandhisblog.blogspot.com). But I'll need a day for
>> doing. I'll
>> answering you tomorrow again on this, if it is ok for you.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Jan

Re: GWT Plugin Example

Jan Ehrhardt
No burn out.
I just damaged my runtime a little bit (but not with Grails), so it takes a bit.
Hopefully this evening, a first post and some sample code will be available.

Cheers
Jan

Jan Ehrhardt wrote:

> Sorry,
>
> but I didn't finish the example yet. I'll try to finish it tomorrow.
>
> Cheers
> Jan
>
> Am 05.06.2008 um 14:30 schrieb scai_andre:
>

>> Hi Jan,
>>
>> that would be absolutely great!
>>
>> Looking forward!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Andre
>>
>> Jan Ehrhardt wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> If you give me a day, I'll post an complete example in my blog (
>>> http://derjanandhisblog.blogspot.com). But I'll need a day for
>>> doing. I'll
>>> answering you tomorrow again on this, if it is ok for you.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Jan

Re: GWT Plugin Example

Jan Ehrhardt
Sorry for waiting so long on this.

But now the sample is finished. Hopefully it solves your requierments:

http://code.google.com/p/derjanandhisblog/wiki/GWTGrailsTutorial

Let me know, what you would like to have for further extensions of the sample.
Maybee, there could also be link on this on the plugin's page.

Cheers
Jan

Jan Ehrhardt wrote:

> Sorry,
>
> but I didn't finish the example yet. I'll try to finish it tomorrow.
>
> Cheers
> Jan
>
> Am 05.06.2008 um 14:30 schrieb scai_andre:
>

>> Hi Jan,
>>
>> that would be absolutely great!
>>
>> Looking forward!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Andre
>>
>> Jan Ehrhardt wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> If you give me a day, I'll post an complete example in my blog (
>>> http://derjanandhisblog.blogspot.com). But I'll need a day for
>>> doing. I'll
>>> answering you tomorrow again on this, if it is ok for you.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Jan

Re: GWT Plugin Example

Andre Pietsch
This looks really, really good.

Shouldn't this be placed on grails.org?

Regards,
Andre
Jan Ehrhardt wrote

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 9:21 AM, Jan Ehrhardt <jan.ehrhardt@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> No burn out.
> I just damaged my runtime a little bit (but not with Grails), so it takes a
> bit.
> Hopefully this evening, a first post and some sample code will be
> available.
>
> Cheers
> Jan
>

> On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 9:11 AM, scai_andre <andre.pietsch@scai.de> wrote:
>

>> Jan,
>>
>> thanks for the info! Would be great if you could make it, but not at the
>> price of a burnout :)
>>
>> Jan Ehrhardt wrote:
>> >
>> > Sorry,
>> >
>> > but I didn't finish the example yet. I'll try to finish it tomorrow.
>> >
>> > Cheers
>> > Jan

>> >     http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Re: GWT Plugin Example

Jan Ehrhardt
I think a link on GWT plugin page would be better.
The sample shall change in the future.

Jan

Jan Ehrhardt wrote:

> Sorry for waiting so long on this.
>
> But now the sample is finished. Hopefully it solves your requierments:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/derjanandhisblog/wiki/GWTGrailsTutorial
>
> Let me know, what you would like to have for further extensions of the
> sample.
> Maybee, there could also be link on this on the plugin's page.
>
> Cheers
> Jan
>
> On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 9:21 AM, Jan Ehrhardt <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> No burn out.
>> I just damaged my runtime a little bit (but not with Grails), so it takes
>> bit.
>> Hopefully this evening, a first post and some sample code will be
>> available.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Jan
>>

>> On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 9:11 AM, scai_andre <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> Jan,
>>>
>>> thanks for the info! Would be great if you could make it, but not at the
>>> price of a burnout :)

Re: GWT Plugin Example

Ray Tayek

>Jan Ehrhardt wrote:
> >
> > http://code.google.com/p/derjanandhisblog/wiki/GWTGrailsTutorial

this works fine for me (i.e. grails run-app works) until i add the
code for the application class.

then i get compile errors on classes all the json stuff. i do have a
gwt home set to a copy of 1.4.62.

perhaps there is another jar or something that i need?

thanks

---
vice-chair http://ocjug.org/

Re: GWT Plugin Example

Jan Ehrhardt
Hi,

yes there is the gwt-user.jar, form the GWT_HOME directory. You'll just need to copy it into the lib directory. I fixed this problem yesterday, by putting the JAR into the sample app.
I'll add this to the tutorial.

Cheers
Jan

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Ray Tayek <[hidden email]> wrote:

Jan Ehrhardt wrote:

this works fine for me (i.e. grails run-app works) until i add the code for the application class.

then i get compile errors on classes all the json stuff. i do have a gwt home set to a copy of 1.4.62.

perhaps there is another jar or something that i need?

thanks

---
vice-chair http://ocjug.org/

Re: GWT Plugin Example

Peter Ledbrook
> yes there is the gwt-user.jar, form the GWT_HOME directory. You'll just need
> to copy it into the lib directory. I fixed this problem yesterday, by
> putting the JAR into the sample app.
> I'll add this to the tutorial.

Is the problem version-related? Or is it simply because
"gwt-servlet.jar" doesn't include some required files?

Thanks,

Peter

--
Software Engineer
G2One, Inc.

Re: GWT Plugin Example

Ray Tayek
At 12:42 AM 6/13/2008, you wrote:
>...there is the gwt-user.jar, form the GWT_HOME directory. You'll
>just need to copy it into the lib directory.  ...

that gets me a clean compile.

but running in hosted mode comes up with with exploder trying port
8080 and cancelling. trying 8888 gets a: Unable to find/load module
'GwtTutorial'

trying to compile gets stuff like:

      [java]    [ERROR] Errors in
'I:\dev\ocgug\grails\GwtTutorial\src\java\org\grails\gwttutorial\client\client\Application.java'
      [java]       [ERROR] Line 1:  The declared package does not
match the expected package org.grails.gwttutorial.client.client
      [java]       [ERROR] Line 8:  The import com.google.gwt.json
cannot be resolved

there is a duplication of client in the above (i.e. client/client).

i may have typed client too many times.

thanks

>On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Ray Tayek
><<mailto:[hidden email]>[hidden email]> wrote:
>Jan Ehrhardt wrote:
> >
> <http://code.google.com/p/derjanandhisblog/wiki/GWTGrailsTutorial>http://code.google.com/p/derjanandhisblog/wiki/GWTGrailsTutorial
>
>this works fine for me (i.e. grails run-app works) until i add the
>code for the application class. ...

---
vice-chair http://ocjug.org/

Re: GWT Plugin Example

Jan Ehrhardt
gwt-servlet.jar contains only the files for server side RPC. The libraries for JSON and other browser side stuff is in another JAR.
The plugin only offers the server side GWT code.

Cheers
Jan

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 10:13 AM, Peter Ledbrook <[hidden email]> wrote:
> yes there is the gwt-user.jar, form the GWT_HOME directory. You'll just need
> to copy it into the lib directory. I fixed this problem yesterday, by
> putting the JAR into the sample app.
> I'll add this to the tutorial.

Is the problem version-related? Or is it simply because
"gwt-servlet.jar" doesn't include some required files?

Thanks,

Peter

--
Software Engineer
G2One, Inc.
http://www.g2one.com/

Re: GWT Plugin Example

Jan Ehrhardt

     [java]    [ERROR] Errors in 'I:\dev\ocgug\grails\GwtTutorial\src\java\org\grails\gwttutorial\client\client\Application.java'
    [java]       [ERROR] Line 1:  The declared package does not match the expected package org.grails.gwttutorial.client.client
    [java]       [ERROR] Line 8:  The import com.google.gwt.json cannot be resolved

there is a duplication of client in the above (i.e. client/client).

i may have typed client too many times.

Yes, there is one client to much.

Jan

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Ray Tayek <<mailto:[hidden email]>[hidden email]> wrote:
Jan Ehrhardt wrote:
> <http://code.google.com/p/derjanandhisblog/wiki/GWTGrailsTutorial>http://code.google.com/p/derjanandhisblog/wiki/GWTGrailsTutorial

this works fine for me (i.e. grails run-app works) until i add the code for the application class. ...

---
vice-chair http://ocjug.org/

Re: GWT Plugin Example

Rory Farrell
Jan Ehrhardt wrote:

 >      [java]    [ERROR] Errors in

'I:\dev\ocgug\grails\GwtTutorial\src\java\org\grails\gwttutorial\client\client\Application.java'

 >         [java]       [ERROR] Line 1:  The declared package does not
 >     match the expected package org.grails.gwttutorial.client.client
 >         [java]       [ERROR] Line 8:  The import com.google.gwt.json
 >     cannot be resolved
 >
 >
 >     there is a duplication of client in the above (i.e. client/client).
 >
 >     i may have typed client too many times.
 >
 >
 > Yes, there is one client to much.
 >
 > Jan

The tutorial says to enter:

grails create-gwt-module org.grails.gwttutorial.client.Application

but I think that should be:

grails create-gwt-module org.grails.gwttutorial.Application

without the client part of the package.  The GWT plugin then creates the
correct package org.grails.gwttutorial.client and places the
Application.java in the correct directory.

This works as per the GWT plugin documentation which states:

grails create-gwt-module org.example.MyApp

will create the files

     * {{src/java/org/example/MyApp.gwt.xml}}, and
     * {{src/java/org/example/client/MyApp.java}}

Regards,
Rory

12