Quantcast

Grails 1.4 is now Grails 2.0

Graeme Rocher
Administrator
Hi all,

After some consideration we have decided to change Grails 1.4 to be
Grails 2.0. This should not significantly impact timelines of the
release, but we do feel there are too many great things in the github
master branch for it to be a mere 1.4 release.

Some of these things coming in the next milestone include:

* New console UI and interactive mode
* Enhanced error reporting and stack trace printing
* Improved development time reloading with a JVM agent
* Performance enhancements
* AST transformation API for plugin devs
* HTML5 scaffolding
* Static resource handling
* A formalized GORM API
* Abstract inheritance support
* Multiple data sources support with 2 phase commit
* Database migrations and reverse engineering
* Upgrades to libraries from Groovy 1.8, Spring 3.1, Hibernate 3.6 and
Servlet 3.0
* Completely new Testing API with Spock support
* Unit test scaffolding and enhanced unit test output in the console

There is just too much there that it no longer feels like a 1.x
release, so the next release of Grails with 2.0.0.M1 at the end of
July

Followed closely the the release candidates running through August
until we're final

The roadmap at http://grails.org/Roadmap has been updated to reflect the change

http://www.springsource.com

RE: Grails 1.4 is now Grails 2.0

netwiser
It is glad to hear that and looking forward to the release. Great job!

Since I have couple of production sites running on Grails 1.3.7 and I am eager to upgrade to this new release so I can take advantage of Hibernate 3.6. Is there any note or wrap up how to safely upgrade/merge to the new release from older one?

Thanks and Regards,

James

> From: [hidden email]

> Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 17:01:23 +0200
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [grails-user] Grails 1.4 is now Grails 2.0
>
> Hi all,
>
> After some consideration we have decided to change Grails 1.4 to be
> Grails 2.0. This should not significantly impact timelines of the
> release, but we do feel there are too many great things in the github
> master branch for it to be a mere 1.4 release.
>
> Some of these things coming in the next milestone include:
>
> * New console UI and interactive mode
> * Enhanced error reporting and stack trace printing
> * Improved development time reloading with a JVM agent
> * Performance enhancements
> * AST transformation API for plugin devs
> * HTML5 scaffolding
> * Static resource handling
> * A formalized GORM API
> * Abstract inheritance support
> * Multiple data sources support with 2 phase commit
> * Database migrations and reverse engineering
> * Upgrades to libraries from Groovy 1.8, Spring 3.1, Hibernate 3.6 and
> Servlet 3.0
> * Completely new Testing API with Spock support
> * Unit test scaffolding and enhanced unit test output in the console
>
> There is just too much there that it no longer feels like a 1.x
> release, so the next release of Grails with 2.0.0.M1 at the end of
> July
>
> Followed closely the the release candidates running through August
> until we're final
>
> The roadmap at http://grails.org/Roadmap has been updated to reflect the change
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Graeme Rocher
> Grails Project Lead
> SpringSource - A Division of VMware
> http://www.springsource.com

Re: Grails 1.4 is now Grails 2.0

Graeme Rocher
Administrator
We will evolve the upgrade notes closer to the time of release, but
what would help is if you could try the milestones and release
candidates out.

If you find issues that require changes to your code we can document
them in the release notes. We of course will document as many of the
known upgrade requirements as possible, but feedback really helps

Cheers

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 5:06 PM, James Zhang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is glad to hear that and looking forward to the release. Great job!
> Since I have couple of production sites running on Grails 1.3.7 and I am
> eager to upgrade to this new release so I can take advantage of Hibernate
> 3.6. Is there any note or wrap up how to safely upgrade/merge to the new
> release from older one?
> Thanks and Regards,
> James
>
>> From: [hidden email]
>> Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 17:01:23 +0200
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: [grails-user] Grails 1.4 is now Grails 2.0
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> After some consideration we have decided to change Grails 1.4 to be
>> Grails 2.0. This should not significantly impact timelines of the
>> release, but we do feel there are too many great things in the github
>> master branch for it to be a mere 1.4 release.
>>
>> Some of these things coming in the next milestone include:
>>
>> * New console UI and interactive mode
>> * Enhanced error reporting and stack trace printing
>> * Improved development time reloading with a JVM agent
>> * Performance enhancements
>> * AST transformation API for plugin devs
>> * HTML5 scaffolding
>> * Static resource handling
>> * A formalized GORM API
>> * Abstract inheritance support
>> * Multiple data sources support with 2 phase commit
>> * Database migrations and reverse engineering
>> * Upgrades to libraries from Groovy 1.8, Spring 3.1, Hibernate 3.6 and
>> Servlet 3.0
>> * Completely new Testing API with Spock support
>> * Unit test scaffolding and enhanced unit test output in the console
>>
>> There is just too much there that it no longer feels like a 1.x
>> release, so the next release of Grails with 2.0.0.M1 at the end of
>> July
>>
>> Followed closely the the release candidates running through August
>> until we're final
>>
>> The roadmap at http://grails.org/Roadmap has been updated to reflect the
>> change
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> --
>> Graeme Rocher
>> Grails Project Lead
>> SpringSource - A Division of VMware
>> http://www.springsource.com

>> http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

http://www.springsource.com

RE: Grails 1.4 is now Grails 2.0

ishe
2.0 - It's very good idea for marketing and have new corporate users.

Re: Grails 1.4 is now Grails 2.0

Jordon Saardchit
<base href="x-msg://505/">I, also, am monumentally interested in any tips/gotchas on a 1.3.7 to 2.0 upgrade path!

Jordon

On Jun 27, 2011, at 8:06 AM, James Zhang wrote:

It is glad to hear that and looking forward to the release. Great job!

Since I have couple of production sites running on Grails 1.3.7 and I am eager to upgrade to this new release so I can take advantage of Hibernate 3.6. Is there any note or wrap up how to safely upgrade/merge to the new release from older one?

Thanks and Regards,

James

> From: [hidden email]

> Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 17:01:23 +0200
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [grails-user] Grails 1.4 is now Grails 2.0
>
> Hi all,
>
> After some consideration we have decided to change Grails 1.4 to be
> Grails 2.0. This should not significantly impact timelines of the
> release, but we do feel there are too many great things in the github
> master branch for it to be a mere 1.4 release.
>
> Some of these things coming in the next milestone include:
>
> * New console UI and interactive mode
> * Enhanced error reporting and stack trace printing
> * Improved development time reloading with a JVM agent
> * Performance enhancements
> * AST transformation API for plugin devs
> * HTML5 scaffolding
> * Static resource handling
> * A formalized GORM API
> * Abstract inheritance support
> * Multiple data sources support with 2 phase commit
> * Database migrations and reverse engineering
> * Upgrades to libraries from Groovy 1.8, Spring 3.1, Hibernate 3.6 and
> Servlet 3.0
> * Completely new Testing API with Spock support
> * Unit test scaffolding and enhanced unit test output in the console
>
> There is just too much there that it no longer feels like a 1.x
> release, so the next release of Grails with 2.0.0.M1 at the end of
> July
>
> Followed closely the the release candidates running through August
> until we're final
>
> The roadmap at http://grails.org/Roadmap has been updated to reflect the change
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Graeme Rocher
> Grails Project Lead
> SpringSource - A Division of VMware
> http://www.springsource.com

> http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Re: Grails 1.4 is now Grails 2.0

Chanwit Kaewkasi
This sounds amazing !
From a plugin dev point-of-view, I was feeling the same with the last
milestone that it should become something more than 1.4.

Cheers,

Chanwit

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 22:01, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After some consideration we have decided to change Grails 1.4 to be
> Grails 2.0. This should not significantly impact timelines of the
> release, but we do feel there are too many great things in the github
> master branch for it to be a mere 1.4 release.
>
> Some of these things coming in the next milestone include:
>
> * New console UI and interactive mode
> * Enhanced error reporting and stack trace printing
> * Improved development time reloading with a JVM agent
> * Performance enhancements
> * AST transformation API for plugin devs
> * HTML5 scaffolding
> * Static resource handling
> * A formalized GORM API
> * Abstract inheritance support
> * Multiple data sources support with 2 phase commit
> * Database migrations and reverse engineering
> * Upgrades to libraries from Groovy 1.8, Spring 3.1, Hibernate 3.6 and
> Servlet 3.0
> * Completely new Testing API with Spock support
> * Unit test scaffolding and enhanced unit test output in the console
>
> There is just too much there that it no longer feels like a 1.x
> release, so the next release of Grails with 2.0.0.M1 at the end of
> July
>
> Followed closely the the release candidates running through August
> until we're final
>
> The roadmap at http://grails.org/Roadmap has been updated to reflect the change
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Graeme Rocher
> Grails Project Lead
> SpringSource - A Division of VMware
> http://www.springsource.com

Chanwit Kaewkasi
code.google.com/p/zkgrails
twitter.com/chanwit

Re: Grails 1.4 is now Grails 2.0

Tim Jarvis
Good idea in general, I agree that there is a lot more added to the release than in a typical "dot" release. My only hope is that it does not delay the release by much as we are waiting for the new Hibernate functionality that we have had to do work arounds to get into place. Also waiting for some Maven improvements :-).

Keep up the good work!

Tim

Re: Grails 1.4 is now Grails 2.0

Maplye
what about 1.4M1. I develop the application on 1.3.7 or 1.4M1?

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 11:10 PM, Chanwit Kaewkasi <[hidden email]> wrote:
This sounds amazing !
From a plugin dev point-of-view, I was feeling the same with the last
milestone that it should become something more than 1.4.

Cheers,

Chanwit

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 22:01, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After some consideration we have decided to change Grails 1.4 to be
> Grails 2.0. This should not significantly impact timelines of the
> release, but we do feel there are too many great things in the github
> master branch for it to be a mere 1.4 release.
>
> Some of these things coming in the next milestone include:
>
> * New console UI and interactive mode
> * Enhanced error reporting and stack trace printing
> * Improved development time reloading with a JVM agent
> * Performance enhancements
> * AST transformation API for plugin devs
> * HTML5 scaffolding
> * Static resource handling
> * A formalized GORM API
> * Abstract inheritance support
> * Multiple data sources support with 2 phase commit
> * Database migrations and reverse engineering
> * Upgrades to libraries from Groovy 1.8, Spring 3.1, Hibernate 3.6 and
> Servlet 3.0
> * Completely new Testing API with Spock support
> * Unit test scaffolding and enhanced unit test output in the console
>
> There is just too much there that it no longer feels like a 1.x
> release, so the next release of Grails with 2.0.0.M1 at the end of
> July
>
> Followed closely the the release candidates running through August
> until we're final
>
> The roadmap at http://grails.org/Roadmap has been updated to reflect the change
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Graeme Rocher
> Grails Project Lead
> SpringSource - A Division of VMware
> http://www.springsource.com

Chanwit Kaewkasi
code.google.com/p/zkgrails
twitter.com/chanwit

Re: Grails 1.4 is now Grails 2.0

Graeme Rocher
Administrator
1.4 M2 is now 2.0 M1 as mentioned. So to continue on the 1.4 line you
need to move to the new 2.0 versioning scheme

Cheers

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 2:09 AM, maplye <[hidden email]> wrote:

> what about 1.4M1. I develop the application on 1.3.7 or 1.4M1?
>
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 11:10 PM, Chanwit Kaewkasi <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> This sounds amazing !
>> From a plugin dev point-of-view, I was feeling the same with the last
>> milestone that it should become something more than 1.4.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Chanwit
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 22:01, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > After some consideration we have decided to change Grails 1.4 to be
>> > Grails 2.0. This should not significantly impact timelines of the
>> > release, but we do feel there are too many great things in the github
>> > master branch for it to be a mere 1.4 release.
>> >
>> > Some of these things coming in the next milestone include:
>> >
>> > * New console UI and interactive mode
>> > * Enhanced error reporting and stack trace printing
>> > * Improved development time reloading with a JVM agent
>> > * Performance enhancements
>> > * AST transformation API for plugin devs
>> > * HTML5 scaffolding
>> > * Static resource handling
>> > * A formalized GORM API
>> > * Abstract inheritance support
>> > * Multiple data sources support with 2 phase commit
>> > * Database migrations and reverse engineering
>> > * Upgrades to libraries from Groovy 1.8, Spring 3.1, Hibernate 3.6 and
>> > Servlet 3.0
>> > * Completely new Testing API with Spock support
>> > * Unit test scaffolding and enhanced unit test output in the console
>> >
>> > There is just too much there that it no longer feels like a 1.x
>> > release, so the next release of Grails with 2.0.0.M1 at the end of
>> > July
>> >
>> > Followed closely the the release candidates running through August
>> > until we're final
>> >
>> > The roadmap at http://grails.org/Roadmap has been updated to reflect the
>> > change
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >
>> > --
>> > Graeme Rocher
>> > Grails Project Lead
>> > SpringSource - A Division of VMware
>> > http://www.springsource.com

>> >    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>> >

>> --
>> Chanwit Kaewkasi
>> code.google.com/p/zkgrails
>> twitter.com/chanwit

http://www.springsource.com

Re: Grails 1.4 is now Grails 2.0

Maplye
thank you! i found the mail list is not active than before, what's wrong?

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]> wrote:
1.4 M2 is now 2.0 M1 as mentioned. So to continue on the 1.4 line you
need to move to the new 2.0 versioning scheme

Cheers

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 2:09 AM, maplye <[hidden email]> wrote:
> what about 1.4M1. I develop the application on 1.3.7 or 1.4M1?
>
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 11:10 PM, Chanwit Kaewkasi <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> This sounds amazing !
>> From a plugin dev point-of-view, I was feeling the same with the last
>> milestone that it should become something more than 1.4.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Chanwit
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 22:01, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > After some consideration we have decided to change Grails 1.4 to be
>> > Grails 2.0. This should not significantly impact timelines of the
>> > release, but we do feel there are too many great things in the github
>> > master branch for it to be a mere 1.4 release.
>> >
>> > Some of these things coming in the next milestone include:
>> >
>> > * New console UI and interactive mode
>> > * Enhanced error reporting and stack trace printing
>> > * Improved development time reloading with a JVM agent
>> > * Performance enhancements
>> > * AST transformation API for plugin devs
>> > * HTML5 scaffolding
>> > * Static resource handling
>> > * A formalized GORM API
>> > * Abstract inheritance support
>> > * Multiple data sources support with 2 phase commit
>> > * Database migrations and reverse engineering
>> > * Upgrades to libraries from Groovy 1.8, Spring 3.1, Hibernate 3.6 and
>> > Servlet 3.0
>> > * Completely new Testing API with Spock support
>> > * Unit test scaffolding and enhanced unit test output in the console
>> >
>> > There is just too much there that it no longer feels like a 1.x
>> > release, so the next release of Grails with 2.0.0.M1 at the end of
>> > July
>> >
>> > Followed closely the the release candidates running through August
>> > until we're final
>> >
>> > The roadmap at http://grails.org/Roadmap has been updated to reflect the
>> > change
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >
>> > --
>> > Graeme Rocher
>> > Grails Project Lead
>> > SpringSource - A Division of VMware
>> > http://www.springsource.com

>> >    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>> >

>> --
>> Chanwit Kaewkasi
>> code.google.com/p/zkgrails
>> twitter.com/chanwit

http://www.springsource.com

Re: Grails 1.4 is now Grails 2.0

Graeme Rocher
Administrator
Which mailing list is not active?

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 10:49 AM, maplye <[hidden email]> wrote:

> thank you! i found the mail list is not active than before, what's wrong?
>
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> 1.4 M2 is now 2.0 M1 as mentioned. So to continue on the 1.4 line you
>> need to move to the new 2.0 versioning scheme
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 2:09 AM, maplye <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > what about 1.4M1. I develop the application on 1.3.7 or 1.4M1?

>> --
>> Graeme Rocher
>> Grails Project Lead
>> SpringSource - A Division of VMware
>> http://www.springsource.com

http://www.springsource.com

Re: Grails 1.4 is now Grails 2.0

fiallega
I am quite confused on how to follow version 2.0-M1
When I look at http://hudson.grails.org I only see references to 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, and within 1.4 the last build is 2.0.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT
When I look at github/grails/grails-core the last tag I see is 1.4.0.M1 and I dont see a branch either that would fit the 2.0.M1
Can anybody tell me what is the right way to follow the 2.0.M1 development.

Re: Grails 1.4 is now Grails 2.0

Jeff Scott Brown
On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 10:40 AM, fiallega <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am quite confused on how to follow version 2.0-M1
> When I look at  http://hudson.grails.org http://hudson.grails.org  I only
> see references to 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, and within 1.4 the last build is
> 2.0.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT
> When I look at  https://github.com/grails/grails-core/
> github/grails/grails-core  the last tag I see is 1.4.0.M1 and I dont see a
> branch either that would fit the 2.0.M1
> Can anybody tell me what is the right way to follow the 2.0.M1 development.
> Thanks

I will look at renaming the Hudson stuff but don't let that confuse
you.  The master branch is the main development branch and that is
where 2.0 is being developed.  There are no 2.0 related tags because
we haven't released a milestone or anything significant since
1.4.0.M1.

jb

--
Jeff Brown