Grails 2.0.RC1 Auto Reloading

12

Grails 2.0.RC1 Auto Reloading

javazonem
This post was updated on .
Hello,

We are using grails 2.0.RC1 for our project. As IDE we use Intellij IDEA 11 EPA. My impression is that groovy clasess are not reloaded. My service classes are not reloaded also my controllers are not reloaded. I start my app using
"grails-debug run-app" command. It is very annoying.
When i try to use STS, every time a get a PermGenSpace error.

We use jdk 1.7 on windows machine

Thx.

Re: Grails 2.0.RC1 Auto Reloading

MLoe
I have the same problem with Java 1.6. No class reloading :(

Re: Grails 2.0.RC1 Auto Reloading

pledbrook
Are you both on Windows? There have apparently been other reports
related to this, so we'll be investigating very shortly.

Peter

--
Peter Ledbrook
Grails Advocate

Re: Grails 2.0.RC1 Auto Reloading

javazonem
Yes, i am on windows.

Thx.

Re: Grails 2.0.RC1 Auto Reloading

MLoe
Yes, Win7 32bit.

Thanks Michael

Re: Grails 2.0.RC1 Auto Reloading

carina
I'm also having issues with class reloading. I'm the latest Idea 11 EAP version and I'm on OS X and Grails 2.0.RC1.

This does however not seem to be a general issue in my case so I'm not sure if it is related to the problems reported in this thread. I started with a fresh project with 2.0 and in the beginning, the reloading worked just beautifully (thanks to everyone who was responsible for those improvements!), much better than in my older projects. I did not change anything in my IDE setup but for a couple of days it has now been impossible to reload the project. Also setting breakpoints is impossible after a change was made.

I think that I did not install a new plugin since the problems have started so I assume it has to do with a change in my own code but it will be a bit tedious to revert all changes step by step to find out what causes the issue since I did quite a lot of refactoring in the meantime. Do you have any hints about how I could debug this to locate the problem? Is there any additional information I could provide in order to help identify the problem?

Thanks in advance,

Carina

Re: Grails 2.0.RC1 Auto Reloading

olivertynes
I don't think it's very code specific, it's probably just how the
reloader is made and how it tries to reload the classes.

It seems completely random what kind of changes you can do to a domain
class before the reloader either gives up or grails says that this is
not a known entity in the system. Sometimes I can change around
namedQueries for an hour sometimes only 1 minute, before I get error
message that the GORM static api is missing.

The resources plugin is in the same randomly broken state, a change
can go through just fine, do a COMPLETELY inverse change back (like,
swapping a css color to black and then back to brown, for example) and
then the resource plugin just lies down to die.

I have also mentioned the reloading in another post I made to the
mailing list (no one else with the same problems apparently, since no
one responded) is that the controller reloading sometimes removes
injected properties coming from plugins etc.

There is something fishy going on with the reloader in RC1 (it was
much better in M1), but I have not been able to reproduce anything
reliable, because it seemingly just dies in a random fashion so it is
kinda hard to do any bug hunting/reporting.

I am still somewhat sure that this situation is way better than the
old reboot-app hell we were stuck with in 1.3.7 though. Better to be
able to do 10 changes before I need to re-run the app, than it being
hardcoded to 1 :-)

This is with IntelliJ IDEA, but the behavior is identical if I just
run grails from commandline instead of from the run configs in the
IDE.
This submission might look like a cup of whine, it is not, I am still
way happier in 2.0 than in 1.3.7.
Think of it as a call to arms to be able to figure out how to improve
the 2.0 reloader!

-Oliver

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 10:59 AM, carina <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm also having issues with class reloading. I'm the latest Idea 11 EAP
> version and I'm on OS X and Grails 2.0.RC1.
>
> This does however not seem to be a general issue in my case so I'm not sure
> if it is related to the problems reported in this thread. I started with a
> fresh project with 2.0 and in the beginning, the reloading worked just
> beautifully (thanks to everyone who was responsible for those
> improvements!), much better than in my older projects. I did not change
> anything in my IDE setup but for a couple of days it has now been impossible
> to reload the project. Also setting breakpoints is impossible after a change
> was made.
>
> I think that I did not install a new plugin since the problems have started
> so I assume it has to do with a change in my own code but it will be a bit
> tedious to revert all changes step by step to find out what causes the issue
> since I did quite a lot of refactoring in the meantime. Do you have any
> hints about how I could debug this to locate the problem? Is there any
> additional information I could provide in order to help identify the
> problem?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Carina

*****
Oliver Tynes
Developer
Uni CIPR -- www.cipr.uni.no
55588266
*****

Re: Grails 2.0.RC1 Auto Reloading

Joel Richon
I too have found both reloading and the resources plugin to be twitchy.
I've been compiling by hand after making changes, and that seems to work.

Overall 2.0.RC1 has been stable.

Cheers
   Joel

Re: Grails 2.0.RC1 Auto Reloading

csterwa
I am also having the reloading issue on Mac OS X 10.6 with IntelliJ running my application and from a shell. It seems that my controllers are said to be compiled by the running Grails in development mode but that the changes are not reflected in the application.
Chris Sterling
VP of Engineering
www.AgileAdvantage.com

Get rid of those Impediment Monkeys at:
www.ImpedimentMonkey.com

Re: Grails 2.0.RC1 Auto Reloading

burtbeckwith
If you can replicate the problem from the commandline, it's a Grails issue. If it only happens in IntelliJ please bring it up with them.

Burt

> I am also having the reloading issue on Mac OS X 10.6 with IntelliJ running
> my application and from a shell. It seems that my controllers are said to be
> compiled by the running Grails in development mode but that the changes are
> not reflected in the application.
>
> -----
> Chris Sterling
> VP of Engineering
> www.AgileAdvantage.com
>
> Get rid of those Impediment Monkeys at:
> www.ImpedimentMonkey.com

Re: Grails 2.0.RC1 Auto Reloading

Joel Richon
I don't use IntelliJ.  I'm running grails from the command line and see
this issue.

   Joel

On 11/11/2011 2:53 PM, Burt Beckwith wrote:

> If you can replicate the problem from the commandline, it's a Grails issue. If it only happens in IntelliJ please bring it up with them.
>
> Burt
>
>> I am also having the reloading issue on Mac OS X 10.6 with IntelliJ running
>> my application and from a shell. It seems that my controllers are said to be
>> compiled by the running Grails in development mode but that the changes are
>> not reflected in the application.
>>
>> -----
>> Chris Sterling
>> VP of Engineering
>> www.AgileAdvantage.com
>>
>> Get rid of those Impediment Monkeys at:
>> www.ImpedimentMonkey.com

Re: Grails 2.0.RC1 Auto Reloading

csterwa
Mine was command line and IntelliJ on Mac.
Chris Sterling
VP of Engineering
www.AgileAdvantage.com

Get rid of those Impediment Monkeys at:
www.ImpedimentMonkey.com

Re: Grails 2.0.RC1 Auto Reloading

menilub
this issue is known since the 2.0.0M1, if you google i'll find all the info.
take a look at http://dattein.com/blog/intellij-not-hot-deploying-grails-application/
we recently start a project with 2.0 RC1 and after facing a lot of problems in loading, unclear error messages and a lot of plug-ins that are not compatible we downgrade back to 1.3.7
i think that the RC1 is not so stable and need more testing and before the release

I think this might be another problem, not the one that is tracked at http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issue/IDEA-72968?projectKey=IDEA&query=grails since the issue was supposedly fixed in Idea 11 and I'm using the latest 11 EAP version.

I also tried compiling manually, as Joel Richon said he does but for me that does not fix the problem.

Re: Grails 2.0.RC1 Auto Reloading

csterwa
OK, I did a clean of the project using 2.0.0.RC1 from the command line and shut down IntelliJ. Then I ran the application:

grails run-app -https

After I did all of this then I was able to get auto reloading to work and therefore I do think it is an IntelliJ 10.5 issue that probably is fixed with 11. Thanks for the hints on this thread.

www.ImpedimentMonkey.com

@Joel Richon - how do you do manual recompile, using grails compile or from the ide?
This is becoming very annoying. We have chosen grails for it's on time compile because we have a project that needs to be done in a very short period of time. At this moment i need to do a run-app every time i make any changes. On pure java at least i had hot swap or jrebel. Now i have nothing that can do class reloading. It is advisable to do a downgrade to the milestone version? someone said that the compiler was better in milestone? Is this problem happening on linux too?
lwo

Re: Grails 2.0.RC1 Auto Reloading

lwo
The problem seems to persist with IntelliJ 11 on Grails 2.0.0.RC3. I use Win7 64bit.
The suggestion in http://grails.1312388.n4.nabble.com/Grails-2-0-0-M1-Controller-reloading-broken-under-Windows-7-again-td3712633.html does not work for me either.

What works for me is the following with IntelliJ 11:

1. From IntelliJ Run\Debug Configurations, add a Remote: "Grails application". See the defaults:
-Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=5005

2. Start the grails app with remote debugging port open:
set JAVA_OPTS=Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=5005
grails run-app

3. From IntelliJ start the IntelliJ remote debugging

I then have the ability to hot deploy code changes and debug them also.

Hope this helps

Re: Grails 2.0.RC1 Auto Reloading

myongchong
I'm having same issues with Grails 2.0.0 on Windows 7 64-bit.  I'm using STS as the IDE and run grails in command line.

My project's code auto-reload works fine on my macbook on Mac OS X Lion, but it's not working on my Windows 7 laptop.

Re: Grails 2.0.RC1 Auto Reloading

PfisterA
any updates ? I have this problem on Windows 7 and cmd-line ....

Re: Grails 2.0.RC1 Auto Reloading

pledbrook
> any updates ? I have this problem on Windows 7 and cmd-line ....

You have Grails 2.0 final installed and class reloading isn't working
for you? How are you starting Grails?

Peter

--
Peter Ledbrook