Grails 2.1 and Jenkins problems

Jason Gritman
Hello all,

I am in the process of migrating the Nettflix's Asgard project to Grails 2.1 (https://github.com/Netflix/asgard/tree/grails-2.1). While I have the app working and the tests passing on my local machine, I've run into a few issues trying to get a Jenkins job  running:

First, Grails 2.1 isn't showing up as an option with the 'Install from mirrors' for the Grails Jenkins plugin. This appears to be due to this bug https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-14103.

Due to that issue, I asked our Jenkins admin install Grails 2.1 manually on our build machines. However, when running the build, the Grails command exits with status code '1'  and no output.

I logged onto the machine to try running the Grails command directly. At first I received the message 'Caching deactivated: failed to create cache directory: /mnt/builds/.grails'. I then set the cache directory with the -Dgrails.work.dir= parameter, but it continued to fail with code '1' and no output.

Is there any command line flag I can set that could provide more visibility into why Grails is failing?

I also tried changing the job to use the new Grails wrapper. Unfortunately, it looks like ~/.grails is hardcoded as the download directory (https://github.com/grails/grails-core/blob/master/grails-wrapper/src/main/java/org/grails/wrapper/GrailsWrapper.java#L120) which isn't writable for our Jenkins installation.

Has anyone else upgrading to Grails 2.1 with Jenkins run into similar issues and worked around them?

Thanks,

-Jason

Re: Grails 2.1 and Jenkins problems

Matt Sheehan
Rather than use the 'Install from mirrors' installer you can use the 'Extract *.zip/*tar.gz' installer and give it the url:

http://dist.springframework.org.s3.amazonaws.com/release/GRAILS/grails-2.1.0.zip

Matt

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Jason Gritman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Matt! I was able to get the Grails installation installed using the method you described.

Unfortunately, I'm still seeing the exit code 1 with no output when running any Grails command even after this change. I suspect it's due to some permissions thing on our slave machine configuration, but I have no visibility into where it's failing.

-Jason

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Matt Sheehan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

ideasculptor

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Jason Gritman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Matt! I was able to get the Grails installation installed using the method you described.

Unfortunately, I'm still seeing the exit code 1 with no output when running any Grails command even after this change. I suspect it's due to some permissions thing on our slave machine configuration, but I have no visibility into where it's failing.

Have you used --verbose and --stacktrace (thee are two hyphens in front of each of those)? I don't really understand why, but it seems to be grails policy to provide basically no diagnostic information whatsoever for many error conditions unless you at least specify --verbose.  As you've experienced, even catastrophic failures wind up exiting without even a single line of text describing the error.  To my mind, it's a very odd policy. One which causes newbs and experienced grails devs alike to occasionally waste huge amounts of time when they don't realize they are experiencing an error.

Re: Grails 2.1 and Jenkins problems

Jeff Scott Brown
Jason Gritman wrote:

> I also tried changing the job to use the new Grails wrapper.
> Unfortunately, it looks like ~/.grails is hardcoded as the download
> directory
> (https://github.com/grails/grails-core/blob/master/grails-wrapper/src/main/java/org/grails/wrapper/GrailsWrapper.java#L120)
> which isn't writable for our Jenkins installation.

If you file a JIRA to make the download directory configurable via a
system property, we can look at making that happen.

Thanks for the feedback.

jb

--
Jeff Brown
SpringSource

Autism Strikes 1 in 166
Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Re: Grails 2.1 and Jenkins problems

Andrew Todd
Apologies for veering off-topic, but:

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 6:35 AM, Samuel Gendler
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Have you used --verbose and --stacktrace (thee are two hyphens in front of
> each of those)? I don't really understand why, but it seems to be grails
> policy to provide basically no diagnostic information whatsoever for many
> error conditions unless you at least specify --verbose.  As you've
> experienced, even catastrophic failures wind up exiting without even a
> single line of text describing the error.  To my mind, it's a very odd
> policy. One which causes newbs and experienced grails devs alike to
> occasionally waste huge amounts of time when they don't realize they are
> experiencing an error.

This! I've had similar frustrations with the database error logging
code, especially when using H2 in development-mode.

Jason Gritman wrote:
> Thanks Jeff, I've written up http://jira.grails.org/browse/GRAILS-9271.
> If I get time later in the week, I'll see if I can fix it myself and
> send a pull request.
>
> -Jason

Outstanding!  Thank you for offering to help.

jb

--
Jeff Brown
SpringSource

Autism Strikes 1 in 166
Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Re: Grails 2.1 and Jenkins problems

Jason Gritman
Good suggestion Samuel. but unfortunately I'm still not seeing any output. Here's the results of issuing commands with various args:

[asgard-public-grails-2.1]$ $GRAILS_HOME/bin/grails
Caching deactivated: failed to create cache directory: /mnt/builds/.grails
[asgard-public-grails-2.1]$ $GRAILS_HOME/bin/grails test-app -Dgrails.work.dir=./.grails --verbose --stacktrace --non-interactive
[asgard-public-grails-2.1]$ $GRAILS_HOME/bin/grails test-app
[asgard-public-grails-2.1]$ $GRAILS_HOME/bin/grails --nonsense
[asgard-public-grails-2.1]$ echo $?
1
[asgard-public-grails-2.1]$

The only difference is that it warns about 'Caching deactivated' if I run the grails command without arguments. When specifying any arguments, even invalid ones, it suppresses that message and I have no output at all.

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 3:35 AM, Samuel Gendler <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

tcrossland
Did you have any luck finding the cause (and/or solution) to this problem? I'm having the same problem running grails 2.1.0 on our Jenkins CI server. It looks like it's probably a permission-related issue with the tomcat user, but there's no output to support this hypothesis, only the exit code 1.

Our setup is:

 * Amazon Linux AMI release 2012.03 (3.2.22-35.60.amzn1.x86_64)
 * Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_32-b05)
 * Tomcat 6.0.35
 * Jenkins ver. 1.475

The grails 2.0.3 and 2.0.4 installations are working fine for the tomcat user.

Re: Grails 2.1 and Jenkins problems

tcrossland
Oops, sorry Jason, I didn't see your post in the other thread.

http://jira.grails.org/browse/GRAILS-9279

Looks like I have to make the tomcat directory writeable by "tomcat". Not ideal, but works.