Quantcast

Grails 3 and Spring Security Core Plugin 2.0-RC4

Grails 3 and Spring Security Core Plugin 2.0-RC4

David Spies
Does anyone know if the Spring Security Plugin can be used with Grails 3.0.0.M2? I tried adding

repositories {

  maven
{ url 'http://repo.spring.io/milestone/' }
}

dependencies
{

  compile
'org.grails.plugins:spring-security-core:2.0-RC4'
}

to build.gradle, but the springSecurityService is still null when I attempt to use it in an Interceptor.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Grails 3 and Spring Security Core Plugin 2.0-RC4

Graeme Rocher-2
It hasn't been ported across yet, in the meantime if you need security
other uses have had success with the Spring Security Starter for boot
https://twitter.com/asoftwareguy/status/571699380991877120

An article here about using it https://spring.io/guides/gs/securing-web/

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 8:35 AM, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It hasn't been ported across yet, in the meantime if you need security
> other uses have had success with the Spring Security Starter for boot
> https://twitter.com/asoftwareguy/status/571699380991877120
>
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 6:43 AM, David Spies <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Does anyone know if the Spring Security Plugin can be used with Grails
>> 3.0.0.M2? I tried adding
>>
>> repositories {
>>   maven { url 'http://repo.spring.io/milestone/' }
>> }
>>
>> dependencies {
>>   compile 'org.grails.plugins:spring-security-core:2.0-RC4'
>> }
>>
>> to build.gradle, but the springSecurityService is still null when I attempt
>> to use it in an Interceptor.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> --

> Graeme Rocher

Re: Grails 3 and Spring Security Core Plugin 2.0-RC4

Alvaro Sanchez-Mariscal
This is an interesting discussion indeed: do we need a Grails plugin for Spring Security at all?

An article here about using it https://spring.io/guides/gs/securing-web/

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 8:35 AM, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It hasn't been ported across yet, in the meantime if you need security
> other uses have had success with the Spring Security Starter for boot
> https://twitter.com/asoftwareguy/status/571699380991877120
>
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 6:43 AM, David Spies <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Does anyone know if the Spring Security Plugin can be used with Grails
>> 3.0.0.M2? I tried adding
>>
>> repositories {
>>   maven { url 'http://repo.spring.io/milestone/' }
>> }
>>
>> dependencies {
>>   compile 'org.grails.plugins:spring-security-core:2.0-RC4'
>> }
>>
>> to build.gradle, but the springSecurityService is still null when I attempt
>> to use it in an Interceptor.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> --

> Graeme Rocher

Re: Grails 3 and Spring Security Core Plugin 2.0-RC4

Graeme Rocher-2
Certain Grails plugins do get replaced by Boot features (for example
Tomcat plugin is gone)

It is just whether a Grails plugin can provide value over what Boot
provides (with regards to Code generation, Traits, Gradle integration,
conventions etc.)

Cheers

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 9:23 AM, Alvaro Sanchez-Mariscal
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is an interesting discussion indeed: do we need a Grails plugin for
> Spring Security at all?

>> An article here about using it https://spring.io/guides/gs/securing-web/
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 8:35 AM, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > It hasn't been ported across yet, in the meantime if you need security
>> > other uses have had success with the Spring Security Starter for boot
>> > https://twitter.com/asoftwareguy/status/571699380991877120

>> > --
>> > Graeme Rocher
>>

>> --
>> Graeme Rocher
>>
>> --

> Alvaro Sanchez-Mariscal
> [hidden email]
> twitter.com/alvaro_sanchez

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grails-dev-discuss/CANWPwkTzOYCysiFOTEBt9BMq%2B4NiUdTBdz7RcO_ojEZDF9OOxg%40mail.gmail.com.

Re: Grails 3 and Spring Security Core Plugin 2.0-RC4

Alvaro Sanchez-Mariscal
Those are certainly the advantages, but the disadvantages are: you have another thing to maintain and support (specially in a key field like security), you need to catch up regularly with the library version, you add a learning curve to people coming from raw Spring Boot, ...

Not sure if migrating the plugin to Grails 3 is worth the effort. Perhaps we should focus on releasing a final 2.0 version compatible with Grails 2.x, and leave the Spring Boot one for Grails 3.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is an interesting discussion indeed: do we need a Grails plugin for
> Spring Security at all?

>> An article here about using it https://spring.io/guides/gs/securing-web/
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 8:35 AM, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > It hasn't been ported across yet, in the meantime if you need security
>> > other uses have had success with the Spring Security Starter for boot
>> > https://twitter.com/asoftwareguy/status/571699380991877120

>> > --
>> > Graeme Rocher
>>

>> --
>> Graeme Rocher
>>
>> --

> Alvaro Sanchez-Mariscal
> [hidden email]
> twitter.com/alvaro_sanchez

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grails-dev-discuss/CANWPwkTzOYCysiFOTEBt9BMq%2B4NiUdTBdz7RcO_ojEZDF9OOxg%40mail.gmail.com.

Re: Grails 3 and Spring Security Core Plugin 2.0-RC4

Graeme Rocher-2
You might be right, but remember there is a half way house, in that
the plugin could simply add the Spring-Boot-Starter so all of the
configuration behaviour is provided by Boot, and additional features
like new methods, traits, code gen scripts are added by the plugin

Cheers

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 10:06 AM, Alvaro Sanchez-Mariscal
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Those are certainly the advantages, but the disadvantages are: you have
> another thing to maintain and support (specially in a key field like
> security), you need to catch up regularly with the library version, you add
> a learning curve to people coming from raw Spring Boot, ...
>
> Not sure if migrating the plugin to Grails 3 is worth the effort. Perhaps we
> should focus on releasing a final 2.0 version compatible with Grails 2.x,
> and leave the Spring Boot one for Grails 3.

>> Certain Grails plugins do get replaced by Boot features (for example
>> Tomcat plugin is gone)
>>
>> It is just whether a Grails plugin can provide value over what Boot
>> provides (with regards to Code generation, Traits, Gradle integration,
>> conventions etc.)
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 9:23 AM, Alvaro Sanchez-Mariscal
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > This is an interesting discussion indeed: do we need a Grails plugin for
>> > Spring Security at all?

>> > --
>> > Alvaro Sanchez-Mariscal
>> > [hidden email]
>> > twitter.com/alvaro_sanchez
>> >
>> > --
>> > [hidden email].
>> >
>> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grails-dev-discuss/CANWPwkTzOYCysiFOTEBt9BMq%2B4NiUdTBdz7RcO_ojEZDF9OOxg%40mail.gmail.com.

>> --
>> Graeme Rocher
>>
>> --

> Alvaro Sanchez-Mariscal
> [hidden email]
> twitter.com/alvaro_sanchez

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grails-dev-discuss/CANWPwkT1uKi%3D2OLX122eCxpvNYGtN%3D5QeHfpsaq9WHJfHcZr%3Dw%40mail.gmail.com.

Re: Grails 3 and Spring Security Core Plugin 2.0-RC4

David Spies
Thanks guys, I assumed that it had not been ported yet, but I wanted to make sure it was not something I was doing.

As for the discussion about Grails-Spring-Security-Plugin vs Spring-Starter-Security, I think it makes a lot of sense to embrace the Spring Boot Security Starter
​while
 adding a few
​ Grails-specific items
on top (
code gen scripts and Grails-specific docs
​)
 to ease the
​ migration
​ from Grails 2 to 3
.  For instance, one trivial item that came up using Spring-Starter-Security
​is
 the
​ ​
default AuthenticationManager has a single user ‘user’
​with a
 random password printed at INFO level when the application starts up
​, however
Grails 3 default logging displays ​ERROR level logs, so users setting it up for the first time may be confused on where to get the password.  This could be mitigated with Grails-specific documentation or a simple logging change via a grails script.

​Love Grails 3,

<<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="0Rbn1FNjwo0J" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">alvaro.sanc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Those are certainly the advantages, but the disadvantages are: you have
> another thing to maintain and support (specially in a key field like
> security), you need to catch up regularly with the library version, you add
> a learning curve to people coming from raw Spring Boot, ...
>
> Not sure if migrating the plugin to Grails 3 is worth the effort. Perhaps we
> should focus on releasing a final 2.0 version compatible with Grails 2.x,
> and leave the Spring Boot one for Grails 3.
>
> 2015-03-03 9:54 GMT+01:00 Graeme Rocher <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="0Rbn1FNjwo0J" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">graeme...@...>:
>>
>> Certain Grails plugins do get replaced by Boot features (for example
>> Tomcat plugin is gone)
>>
>> It is just whether a Grails plugin can provide value over what Boot
>> provides (with regards to Code generation, Traits, Gradle integration,
>> conventions etc.)
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 9:23 AM, Alvaro Sanchez-Mariscal
>> <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="0Rbn1FNjwo0J" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">alvaro.sanc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > This is an interesting discussion indeed: do we need a Grails plugin for
>> > Spring Security at all?
>> >
>> > 2015-03-03 8:36 GMT+01:00 Graeme Rocher <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="0Rbn1FNjwo0J" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">graeme...@...>:

>> > --
>> > Alvaro Sanchez-Mariscal
>> >
>> > --
>> > an
>> > email to <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="0Rbn1FNjwo0J" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">grails-dev-discuss+unsubscribe@....
>> > To post to this group, send email to

>> --
>> Graeme Rocher
>>
>> --

> Alvaro Sanchez-Mariscal

Re: Grails 3 and Spring Security Core Plugin 2.0-RC4

ortiz.manuel
I use the Grails Spring Security REST Plugin in almost all of my RESTful services. It provides me with a lot of indispensable features that I would hate loosing in Grails 3. Alvaro, are you contemplating migrating this to Grails 3 or will we lose all its functionality? Spring Security does not provide the granulation and some of the features that you have managed to include in this plugin, sincerely, I would hate to lose it.

Re: Grails 3 and Spring Security Core Plugin 2.0-RC4

Alvaro Sanchez-Mariscal
I do plan to migrate it to Grails 3, that's why I raised my concern about Spring Security Core dependency. I'll probably sit on top of "Spring-Boot-Security" for Grails 3.

Sorry to drag this thread out even further, but I found a blog post related to Spring Boot, Spring-Boot-starter-security, and REST Token-based authentication that may be of interest (http://www.future-processing.pl/blog/exploring-spring-boot-and-spring-security-custom-token-based-authentication-of-rest-services-with-spring-security-and-pinch-of-spring-java-configuration-and-spring-integration-testing/).  I have not had the chance to go through it, but it looks pretty detailed if either of you are interested.

On Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 6:36:46 AM UTC-7, Álvaro Sánchez-Mariscal wrote:
I do plan to migrate it to Grails 3, that's why I raised my concern about Spring Security Core dependency. I'll probably sit on top of "Spring-Boot-Security" for Grails 3.

2015-03-05 14:19 GMT+01:00 Manuel Ortiz <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="fC0LZ9xQTy8J" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">ortiz....@...>:
I use the Grails Spring Security REST Plugin in almost all of my RESTful services. It provides me with a lot of indispensable features that I would hate loosing in Grails 3. Alvaro, are you contemplating migrating this to Grails 3 or will we lose all its functionality? Spring Security does not provide the granulation and some of the features that you have managed to include in this plugin, sincerely, I would hate to lose it.

Alvaro Sanchez-Mariscal

Re: Grails 3 and Spring Security Core Plugin 2.0-RC4

rainerfrey
Another added value of the spring-security-core plugin is the taglib that provides current user
info and authority conditionals. This plugin actually does add features to the library itself.

Rainer

<<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="UMekrtr5e1UJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">alvaro.sanc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is an interesting discussion indeed: do we need a Grails plugin for
> Spring Security at all?
>
> 2015-03-03 8:36 GMT+01:00 Graeme Rocher <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="UMekrtr5e1UJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">graeme...@...>:
>>
>> An article here about using it <a href="https://spring.io/guides/gs/securing-web/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fspring.io%2Fguides%2Fgs%2Fsecuring-web%2F\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNGOmUu_ewO5qey1MCJjkgCCMkBYnA';return true;" onclick="this.href='https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fspring.io%2Fguides%2Fgs%2Fsecuring-web%2F\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNGOmUu_ewO5qey1MCJjkgCCMkBYnA';return true;">https://spring.io/guides/gs/securing-web/
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 8:35 AM, Graeme Rocher <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="UMekrtr5e1UJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">graeme...@...>
>> wrote:
>> > It hasn't been ported across yet, in the meantime if you need security
>> > other uses have had success with the Spring Security Starter for boot

>> > --
>> > Graeme Rocher
>>

>> --
>> Graeme Rocher
>>
>> --

> Alvaro Sanchez-Mariscal

Re: Grails 3 and Spring Security Core Plugin 2.0-RC4

James Kleeh
What are the current plans for porting the spring security plugin (and its associated plugins LDAP etc..) to Grails 3?

I've been able to get it working without too much trouble but the difference in functionality makes any new project reliant on 2.5 until they get migrated. It's a shame as I'd like to get started with 3 right away.

Jim

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is an interesting discussion indeed: do we need a Grails plugin for
> Spring Security at all?

>> An article here about using it <a href="https://spring.io/guides/gs/securing-web/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href='https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fspring.io%2Fguides%2Fgs%2Fsecuring-web%2F\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNGOmUu_ewO5qey1MCJjkgCCMkBYnA';return true;" onclick="this.href='https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fspring.io%2Fguides%2Fgs%2Fsecuring-web%2F\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNGOmUu_ewO5qey1MCJjkgCCMkBYnA';return true;">https://spring.io/guides/gs/securing-web/
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 8:35 AM, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > It hasn't been ported across yet, in the meantime if you need security
>> > other uses have had success with the Spring Security Starter for boot

>> > --
>> > Graeme Rocher
>>

>> --
>> Graeme Rocher
>>
>> --

> Alvaro Sanchez-Mariscal
> [hidden email]

Re: Grails 3 and Spring Security Core Plugin 2.0-RC4

Owen Rubel
Burt said he is working on it and hoped to start the port this month. I wouldn't expect anything until maybe late next month... hes a busy man and that a complex plugin to convert.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is an interesting discussion indeed: do we need a Grails plugin for
> Spring Security at all?

>> An article here about using it <a href="https://spring.io/guides/gs/securing-web/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href='https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fspring.io%2Fguides%2Fgs%2Fsecuring-web%2F\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNGOmUu_ewO5qey1MCJjkgCCMkBYnA';return true;" onclick="this.href='https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fspring.io%2Fguides%2Fgs%2Fsecuring-web%2F\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNGOmUu_ewO5qey1MCJjkgCCMkBYnA';return true;">https://spring.io/guides/gs/securing-web/
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 8:35 AM, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > It hasn't been ported across yet, in the meantime if you need security
>> > other uses have had success with the Spring Security Starter for boot

>> > --
>> > Graeme Rocher
>>

>> --
>> Graeme Rocher
>>
>> --

> Alvaro Sanchez-Mariscal
> [hidden email]

Re: Grails 3 and Spring Security Core Plugin 2.0-RC4

Biniam Asnake
@Burt (or anyone who knows), what is the progress of the plugin. If spring-security-core is not supported in Grails 3, I will revise my decision to use Grails 3 and stick to 2.5 because dealing with the spring-security (of Spring boot) without the grails plugin would be much work.

Regards,

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is an interesting discussion indeed: do we need a Grails plugin for
> Spring Security at all?

>> An article here about using it <a href="https://spring.io/guides/gs/securing-web/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href='https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fspring.io%2Fguides%2Fgs%2Fsecuring-web%2F\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNGOmUu_ewO5qey1MCJjkgCCMkBYnA';return true;" onclick="this.href='https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fspring.io%2Fguides%2Fgs%2Fsecuring-web%2F\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNGOmUu_ewO5qey1MCJjkgCCMkBYnA';return true;">https://spring.io/guides/gs/securing-web/
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 8:35 AM, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > It hasn't been ported across yet, in the meantime if you need security
>> > other uses have had success with the Spring Security Starter for boot

>> > --
>> > Graeme Rocher
>>

>> --
>> Graeme Rocher
>>
>> --

> Alvaro Sanchez-Mariscal
> [hidden email]

Re: Grails 3 and Spring Security Core Plugin 2.0-RC4

Owen Rubel
Thats not a show stopper if you know what you are doing. You can easily use a TOKEN in your distributed architecture (see StormPath).

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is an interesting discussion indeed: do we need a Grails plugin for
> Spring Security at all?

>> An article here about using it <a href="https://spring.io/guides/gs/securing-web/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href='https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fspring.io%2Fguides%2Fgs%2Fsecuring-web%2F\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNGOmUu_ewO5qey1MCJjkgCCMkBYnA';return true;" onclick="this.href='https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fspring.io%2Fguides%2Fgs%2Fsecuring-web%2F\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNGOmUu_ewO5qey1MCJjkgCCMkBYnA';return true;">https://spring.io/guides/gs/securing-web/
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 8:35 AM, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > It hasn't been ported across yet, in the meantime if you need security
>> > other uses have had success with the Spring Security Starter for boot

>> > --
>> > Graeme Rocher
>>

>> --
>> Graeme Rocher
>>
>> --

> Alvaro Sanchez-Mariscal
> [hidden email]

Re: Grails 3 and Spring Security Core Plugin 2.0-RC4

Pavel Zakharov
Hi, can i know what about plugin progress ? I use Grails 3.0.2

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is an interesting discussion indeed: do we need a Grails plugin for
> Spring Security at all?

>> An article here about using it <a href="https://spring.io/guides/gs/securing-web/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fspring.io%2Fguides%2Fgs%2Fsecuring-web%2F\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNGOmUu_ewO5qey1MCJjkgCCMkBYnA&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fspring.io%2Fguides%2Fgs%2Fsecuring-web%2F\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNGOmUu_ewO5qey1MCJjkgCCMkBYnA&#39;;return true;">https://spring.io/guides/gs/securing-web/
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 8:35 AM, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > It hasn't been ported across yet, in the meantime if you need security
>> > other uses have had success with the Spring Security Starter for boot

>> > --
>> > Graeme Rocher
>>

>> --
>> Graeme Rocher
>>
>> --

> Alvaro Sanchez-Mariscal
> [hidden email]

Re: Grails 3 and Spring Security Core Plugin 2.0-RC4

Johny K
Hi,

I've found this pluggin :

https://bintray.com/grails/plugins/spring-security-core/view