Quantcast

Grails Application Restarts Continuously

12

Grails Application Restarts Continuously

Vincent Giguere
Hi,

My Grails application keeps on restarting even though there are no
errors. This is reproducible on 3 different computers, on both Grails
1.0 and 1.0.1 and I can not trace it back to any changes in
configuration.

As soon as the application is up, a groovyc message shows up in the logs:

[groovyc] Compiling 5 source files to C:\XXX\grails\1.0\projects\XXX\classes

And a ContextClosedEvent is published in Springs which kills the apps
and restarts it.  (short logs below).

Anyone has an idea of what is causing this, or an idea on how I should
go about finding the root cause of this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Vincent Giguère

[groovyc] Compiling 5 source files to C:\XXX\grails\1.0\projects\XXX\classes
[28086] support.DefaultListableBeanFactory Returning cached instance
of singleton bean 'grailsApplication'
[28102] spring.GrailsWebApplicationContext Closing
org.codehaus.groovy.grails.commons.spring.GrailsWebApplicationContext@17c8f7f:
display name [org.codehaus.groovy.grails.commons.spring.GrailsWebApplicationContext@17c8f7f];
startup date [Tue Feb 19 08:38:18 EST 2008]; parent:
org.springframework.web.context.support.XmlWebApplicationContext@3c33d3
[28102] support.XmlWebApplicationContext Publishing event in context
[org.springframework.web.context.support.XmlWebApplicationContext@3c33d3]:
org.springframework.context.event.ContextClosedEvent[source=org.codehaus.groovy.grails.commons.spring.GrailsWebApplicationContext@17c8f7f:
display name [org.codehaus.groovy.grails.commons.spring.GrailsWebApplicationContext@17c8f7f];
startup date [Tue Feb 19 08:38:18 EST 2008]; parent:
org.springframework.web.context.support.XmlWebApplicationContext@3c33d3]
[28102] support.DefaultListableBeanFactory Destroying singletons in
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory@ae00e3:
defining beans [hibernateProperties,handlerMappingTargetSource,DraggableTagLib,AttributesTagLibClass,lobHandlerDetector,AuthenticationControllerProxy,FCKeditorTagLib,messageSourceLoader,classLoader,ItemServiceServiceClass,flowExecutor,ModuleControllerProxy,org.codehaus.groovy.grails.plugins.web.taglib.FormatTagLibTargetSource,sessionFactory,flowRegistry,AuthenticationController,localeChangeInterceptor,org.codehaus.groovy.grails.plugins.web.taglib.JavascriptTagLib,exceptionHandler,transactionManager,persistenceInterceptor,customEditors,FCKeditorTagLibProxy,groovyPagesTemplateEngine,AnswerController,AnswerControllerClass,org.codehaus.groovy.grails.plugins.web.taglib.JavascriptTagLibTargetSource,org.codehaus.groovy.grails.plugins.web.taglib.FormatTagLibProxy,org.codehaus.groovy.grails.plugins.web.taglib.ApplicationTagLibTargetSource,dataSource,org.codehaus.groovy.grails.plugins.web.taglib.ValidationTagLibClass,messageSource,classEditor,org.codehaus.groovy.grails.plugins.web.taglib.ValidationTagLibTargetSource,grailsUrlMappings,DraggableTagLibProxy,FCKeditorTagLibTargetSource,SecurityFilters,org.codehaus.groovy.grails.plugins.web.taglib.ApplicationTagLibClass,AttributesTagLib,DraggableTagLibClass,FCKeditorTagLibClass,SecurityFiltersClass,DraggableTagLibTargetSource,simpleGrailsController,eventTriggeringInterceptor,AttributesTagLibProxy,org.codehaus.groovy.grails.plugins.web.taglib.FormTagLib,itemService,org.codehaus.groovy.grails.plugins.web.taglib.RenderTagLibProxy,filterInterceptor,localeResolver,hibernateConversationListener,moduleService,jspViewResolver,org.codehaus.groovy.grails.plugins.web.taglib.FormTagLibClass,dialectDetector,org.codehaus.groovy.grails.plugins.web.taglib.JavascriptTagLibProxy,openSessionInViewInterceptor,AnswerControllerProxy,org.codehaus.groovy.grails.plugins.web.taglib.FormTagLibTargetSource,ModuleControllerClass,AuthenticationControllerClass,AuthenticationControllerTargetSource,multipartResolver,org.codehaus.groovy.grails.plugins.web.taglib.ApplicationTagLib,org.codehaus.groovy.grails.plugins.web.taglib.RenderTagLibTargetSource,org.codehaus.groovy.grails.plugins.web.taglib.RenderTagLibClass,ModuleServiceServiceClass,ModuleController,xmlParsingParameterCreationListener,ModuleControllerTargetSource,executionListenerLoader,org.codehaus.groovy.grails.plugins.web.taglib.FormTagLibProxy,jsonParsingParameterCreationListener,org.codehaus.groovy.grails.plugins.web.taglib.RenderTagLib,org.codehaus.groovy.grails.plugins.web.taglib.ValidationTagLibProxy,org.codehaus.groovy.grails.plugins.web.taglib.ValidationTagLib,handlerMapping,AnswerControllerTargetSource,org.codehaus.groovy.grails.plugins.web.taglib.FormatTagLibClass,org.codehaus.groovy.grails.plugins.web.taglib.FormatTagLib,grailsUrlHandlerMapping,flowScopeRegistrar,org.codehaus.groovy.grails.plugins.web.taglib.ApplicationTagLibProxy,AttributesTagLibTargetSource,groovyPageResourceLoader,org.codehaus.groovy.grails.plugins.web.taglib.JavascriptTagLibClass,urlMappingsTargetSource,grailsUrlMappingsHolder,grailsUrlMappingsHolderBean];
parent: org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory@1c0a077

Re: Grails Application Restarts Continuously

bredo
do you have any classes in /src/groovy? if so they need package names.
not sure if this your problem, but have had that in the past...

Vincent Giguère wrote:

> [...]
> parent: org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory@1c0a077

Re: Grails Application Restarts Continuously

Thanks Andrew.

I have classes in src/groovy but they have a package. It seems like my
problem is related to yours.

The 5 classes that keep on being recompiled are located in src/groovy/
(which contains a total of 6 files).

Was there anything special you needed to do other than declaring a package?

Thanks in advance,

Vincent Giguère

2008/2/19, Andrew Bredon <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
> > parent: org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory@1c0a077

Re: Grails Application Restarts Continuously

hmmm, no, there wasn't - do they packages match up?
the extra file that isnt being recompiled- where is that?

cheers,
Andrew

Vincent Giguère wrote:

> [...]
>>> parent: org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory@1c0a077

Re: Grails Application Restarts Continuously

Jason Morris-5
Sounds similar to this: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRAILS-2360

Definitely double-check your package statements for any typos etc, and that the package matches the sub-directory structure under src/groovy

i.e. if you use "package a.b", make sure the class file is in src/groovy/a/b

Regards,

Jason

On Feb 19, 2008 2:06 PM, Vincent Giguère <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> > parent: org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory@1c0a077

Re: Grails Application Restarts Continuously

Got it!

I found out the problem by reading your emails and these issue:
GRAILS-1959 and GRAILS-2360.

My package name did not match my directory structure and the groovy
compiler kept on going, which caused the application to relaunch
constantly.

I'll suggest to IntelliJ IDEA to pop up a warning!

Thanks to all for your help,
Vincent Giguère

2008/2/19, Jason Morris <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
> org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory@1c0a077

> > >     http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

> >    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Re: Grails Application Restarts Continuously

j pimmel
We also had a problem very similar to this and we can only remember it came down to one of the two following things:

Either) when I introduced a groovy class declaring more than just one class into the project, eg

 (all one file)

class MygroovyClass {

}

class AnotherInlineClass {

}

 (end file)

Which seems to compile fine on some platforms, but fatally exits during the compile stage on others (with absolutely no clue /error message/stacktrace as to why)...

Otherwise) Missing package declaration on a groovy file living in src/groovy/com/company/foo/MyClass

so should have read:

package com.company.foo // we found this whole line missing, but no compile time errors.. only runtime

class MyClass {

}

And still on RC2....

On Feb 19, 2008 2:10 PM, Jason Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> > parent: org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory@1c0a077

Re: Grails Application Restarts Continuously

boardtc
I am getting this exact problem today. Sure enough one file had the incorrect package name. I have fixed that and triple checked all 23 classes which are in packages and done many grails clean's! We have no multiple classes (other than closures) per unit.

I'm still getting Loading with installed plug-ins /  Compiling source files continuously when run via jetty...has anyone seen this for any other reasons I would appreciate any pointers...will add to this thread If I make any discoveries...

Thanks, Tom.

Vincent Giguere wrote

2008/2/19, Jason Morris <jason.morris@torusit.com>:
> [...]
> org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory@1c0a077

> > >     http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

> >    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Re: Grails Application Restarts Continuously

I found out the answer from this thread
http://www.nabble.com/Endless-restart-loop---how-to-find-broken-class--to18482221.html

secret is to look at grails classes (windows - C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\.grails\1.0.3\projects\<myProject>\classes and see what's the newest.

I was forgetting about a class not in the project where I was experimenting, it had no package name...

Tom Corcoran wrote
> [...]

> org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory@1c0a077

> > >     http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

> >    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Re: Grails Application Restarts Continuously

Matthew Sinclair
Tom Corcoran wrote
snip...
I'm still getting Loading with installed plug-ins /  Compiling source files continuously when run via jetty...has anyone seen this for any other reasons I would appreciate any pointers...will add to this thread If I make any discoveries...
Weird! I just started getting the same thing as well.

I have a relatively big project that I am working where this problem *does not* occur. However, I have another bug that I am trying to sort out, and as part of that process, I built a clean project from scratch. In the project, I put the absolute simplest bits of my main app that still demonstrated the error. And when I ran it (via grails run-app) the restart problem emerged.

The fact that it works without restarting on my existing project (originally created with grails-1.0.1) and it does not work with my simple test project (created with the latest 1.1-SNAPSHOT build), suggests to me that it is not something wrong with my app, but rather in the way that grails builds the configuration for new application ... but I could have that completely wrong.

I found a quick work-around: just use grails run-war instead of run-app and it will not restart (at least it worked for me). I still have no idea what is causing the restarts. I have looked at package declarations as suggested, and also had a look at the timestamps, but there's nothing that I can see.

For the record, the test app for the bug mentioned above can be found on this thread. As well as demo-ing an example of the "double slash" problem, it's also a very simple example of a project that constantly restarts when ran from "grails run-app", but works ok when run from "grails run-war".

Hope that helps!

M@

M@

Re: Grails Application Restarts Continuously

Dierk König
I had this behavior when a class name and file did not match.

When checking for changes, Grails recognized that there was no
class file for the source file and guessed it needed to compile and
startup again.

cheers
Dierk

Am 07.02.2009 um 10:01 schrieb Matthew Sinclair:

> Tom Corcoran wrote:
>>
>> snip...
>> I'm still getting Loading with installed plug-ins /  Compiling source
>> files continuously when run via jetty...has anyone seen this for
>> any other
>> reasons I would appreciate any pointers...will add to this thread
>> If I
>> make any discoveries...
>>

> Weird! I just started getting the same thing as well.
>
> I have a relatively big project that I am working where this problem
> *does
> not* occur. However, I have
> http://www.nabble.com/Still-having-problems-with-double-slash-%22--%22-in-URL-(since-Oct08)-td21825875.html#a21825875
> another bug  that I am trying to sort out, and as part of that
> process, I
> built a clean project from scratch. In the project, I put the absolute
> simplest bits of my main app that still demonstrated the error. And
> when I
> ran it (via grails run-app) the restart problem emerged.
>
> The fact that it works without restarting on my existing project
> (originally
> created with grails-1.0.1) and it does not work with my simple test
> project
> (created with the latest 1.1-SNAPSHOT build), suggests to me that it
> is not
> something wrong with my app, but rather in the way that grails
> builds the
> configuration for new application ... but I could have that completely
> wrong.
>
> I found a quick work-around: just use grails run-war instead of run-
> app and
> it will not restart (at least it worked for me). I still have no
> idea what
> is causing the restarts. I have looked at package declarations as
> suggested,
> and also had a look at the timestamps, but there's nothing that I
> can see.
>
> For the record, the test app for the bug mentioned above can be
> found on
> this
> http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-Still-having-problems-with-double-slash-%22--%22-in-URL--(since-Oct08)-p21886230.html
> thread . As well as demo-ing an example of the "double slash"
> problem, it's
> also a very simple example of a project that constantly restarts
> when ran
> from "grails run-app", but works ok when run from "grails run-war".
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> M@

Re: Grails Application Restarts Continuously

Jeff Scott Brown
On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 8:26 AM, Dierk König <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I had this behavior when a class name and file did not match.
>
> When checking for changes, Grails recognized that there was no
> class file for the source file and guessed it needed to compile and
> startup again.
>
> cheers
> Dierk

Look for class names that don't match the file name, incorrect package
statements, directory names that don't match the package names etc.
You are looking for mistakes that would cause the .class file to not
be in the place it should have been.

Jeff
--
Jeff Brown
SpringSource

Autism Strikes 1 in 166
Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Re: Grails Application Restarts Continuously

Matthew Sinclair
And one more thing I've noticed - the plugins directory that seems to have appeared in one of the latest 1.1 betas can also have an affect. Without a plugins directory, the app will still compile and run, but it will constantly restart. With a properly populated plugins directory, things work ok.

I noticed this quite by accident. I have a checkout of the project on two different machines, and one had the plugins directory, and the other didn't. Everything else was identical. Sure enough, the one without the plugins directory has the restart behaviour, and the other did not.

Regards,
M@

PS: If you are wondering why I didn't have a plugins directory on one of the installs, it was a bit of svn incompetence on my part.

Re: Grails Application Restarts Continuously

pledbrook
> I have a relatively big project that I am working where this problem *does
> not* occur. However, I have
> http://www.nabble.com/Still-having-problems-with-double-slash-%22--%22-in-URL-(since-Oct08)-td21825875.html#a21825875
> another bug  that I am trying to sort out, and as part of that process, I
> built a clean project from scratch. In the project, I put the absolute
> simplest bits of my main app that still demonstrated the error. And when I
> ran it (via grails run-app) the restart problem emerged.

I've tracked down the problem. It's your abstract tag library. Fix
will go into Grails 1.1 in the near future.

Cheers,

Peter

Re: Grails Application Restarts Continuously

Matthew Sinclair
Peter,
First up, thanks for looking at the problem for me.

Peter Ledbrook wrote:
> I've tracked down the problem. It's your abstract tag library. Fix
> will go into Grails 1.1 in the near future.
Quoted from:
http://www.nabble.com/Grails-Application-Restarts-Continuously-tp15566972p21931389.html

I have to apologize first up, because in looking at your fix to the resolved Jira issue, I noticed that I have a typo in the example program. You're right about the value of templateLocBase. As I mentioned, I extracted that code from a larger application, and in doing so, I transposed "templates" and "domain". This was what was causing the extra grails-app/views bits to be encoded in the resource request.

With that fixed up, I have a working example of the taglib stuff, so I know that its not my use of the AbstractTagLib class that is causing the problem. However, I am *still* getting the double slash problem when I run my main program, so it must be something else.

To recap, I am getting a extra '/' in a resource request BUT ONLY WHEN THE APP IS DEPLOYED AS A WAR ON TOMCAT 5.5. (Sorry, not shouting, just trying to emphasize that bit).

As I think I mentioned previously, my main program works fine running from the command line via grails run-app or run-war, but fails when I deploy it to Tomcat55. Now that I have a standalone test program, I can see that it is *not* a problem with the way I was using tag libraries, because that obviously works.

So I guess the question now becomes: what is it that is different between running an app locally and running an app as a war in Tomcat that might cause this problem? I am at a complete loss to understand what is going on here.

I'll keep searching for what is making this happen, and now that I have some working code to compare against, I might have more luck. In the meantime, if you can think of anything different about running locally vs running in a war on Tomcat, it'd be great to know any ideas.

M@

Re: Grails Application Restarts Continuously

Matthew Sinclair
Matthew Sinclair wrote
... So I guess the question now becomes: what is it that is different between running an app locally and running an app as a war in Tomcat that might cause this problem? I am at a complete loss to understand what is going on here. I'll keep searching for what is making this happen, and now that I have some working code to compare against, I might have more luck. In the meantime, if you can think of anything different about running locally vs running in a war on Tomcat, it'd be great to know any ideas.
As if to answer my own question, the answer appears to be something to do with case sensitivity.

From the command line on MacOS running "grails run-app" (inside Jetty) a request to a resource called:

    /templates/domain/signupinfo/edit

will find a resource called:

    /templates/domain/signupInfo/edit

But this very same request DOES NOT work on Tomcat55 under Ubuntu Linux. Oh my pain!

The error that I was getting (with the extra '/') has nothing to do with it. And the reason that the simple example worked was because the 'doubleslash' directory in that example was all lower case. It is only in this specific example that I have the problem where the resource "signupinfo" and the directory "signupInfo" were causing problems.

When the error message said it couldn't fine the resource, it was correct. But because it had the extra slash in the output, it threw me off completely.

Man, am I happy that one is fixed! And Peter, thanks for your time. Maybe as a low-priority issue you could look at tidying up the error message in this case to remove the extra slash from the output?

Regards,
M@

Re: Grails Application Restarts Continuously

pledbrook
> Man, am I happy that one is fixed! And Peter, thanks for your time. Maybe as
> a low-priority issue you could look at tidying up the error message in this
> case to remove the extra slash from the output?

Would you be able to attach a reproducable example to a new issue?
Alternatively, let me know what I have to do to the "doubleslash"
project to make it exhibit the problem.

Cheers,

Peter

Re: Grails Application Restarts Continuously

Matthew Sinclair
Peter Ledbrook wrote
> Man, am I happy that one is fixed! And Peter, thanks for your time. Maybe as
> a low-priority issue you could look at tidying up the error message in this
> case to remove the extra slash from the output?

Would you be able to attach a reproducable example to a new issue?
Alternatively, let me know what I have to do to the "doubleslash"
project to make it exhibit the problem.
Ok, I'll try to explain. The error is a stupid one on my part, but something that could easily be done by anyone. I was useing introspection to determine a class name, and then from that, using it to build up a resource request. The problem was, I had named a directory "signupInfo" (notice capital "I"), but had an erroneous toLowerCase in the mix. On my Mac a request for ".../signupinfo/..." was successfully finding the file called ".../signupInfo/...", but on Linux (of course!) this didn't work.

The problem then was that the file not found error message put an extra slash when it printed out the name of the file that it can't find, for example: "grails-app/views//templates/domain/signupinfo/...".

When I saw that, I thought that it was the extra slash causing the problem, and completely missed the fact that it was the lower-case "i" in "signupinfo".

In hindsight, this was a totally stupid error on my part (as they always are!) but it was the extra slash that threw me.

I suppose that grails appends the extra slash in every case, when it probably should discriminate between template and non-template cases for the addition of the slash in the output when a file is not found during a render() call.

Hope that helps,
M@

Re: Grails Application Restarts Continuously

pledbrook
> I suppose that grails appends the extra slash in every case, when it
> probably should discriminate between template and non-template cases for the
> addition of the slash in the output when a file is not found during a
> render() call.

Sorry, I was a bit unclear in my reply. I understand why you were
having the issue. I just wanted to know how to reproduce the error
message with the double slashes so I can track down where it's coming
from and why. Anyway, since I get the error with an incorrect value of
"templateLocBase", I'll use that.

Cheers,

Peter

12