Grails UI - Is this the best or there are better alternatives

12

Grails UI - Is this the best or there are better alternatives

AshishGupta001
Hi,
I am currently using GrailsUI plugin for rich features. Wondering whether this is the best of the lot or there exists better alternatives.
Issue which I face with GUI is that objects are not rendered correctly always. Eg; Accordian's open/close button is not consistently displayed. Documentation is also not very helpful/available.

Thanks
Ashish

Re: Grails UI - Is this the best or there are better alternatives

gauravchauhan
You could try integrating jQuery plugins with your grails app. You get almost everything you want.

Regards
Gaurav Chauhan

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 12:54 AM, Ashish Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
I am currently using GrailsUI plugin for rich features. Wondering whether this is the best of the lot or there exists better alternatives.
Issue which I face with GUI is that objects are not rendered correctly always. Eg; Accordian's open/close button is not consistently displayed. Documentation is also not very helpful/available.

Thanks
Ashish

Re: Grails UI - Is this the best or there are better alternatives

John Thompson
ExtJS is probably the best for rich apps.

I started with YUI, then changed to jQuery UI & out grew the capabilities of both.  Been using ExtJS for about 6 months.  A bit of a learning curve, but very happy with the product and community.
JT
jts-blog.com

Re: Grails UI - Is this the best or there are better alternatives

lucastex
What keeps me away from extjs is this learning curve.

Everytime I've tried something on it, realized that is totally different from everything we're used to.
This is not a negative point, its just why I've never really used it.

But the UIs made from it are really the better-looking.

[]s,

Lucas Teixeira

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 9:00 AM, John Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:
ExtJS is probably the best for rich apps.

I started with YUI, then changed to jQuery UI & out grew the capabilities of
both.  Been using ExtJS for about 6 months.  A bit of a learning curve, but
very happy with the product and community.

-----
JT
jts-blog.com

Re: Grails UI - Is this the best or there are better alternatives

John Thompson
I know what you mean.  It kept me on the sidelines for a long time.

Their API docs are pretty good.

I highly recommend ExtJS in Action for getting up to speed.  And if you can afford a few hundred bucks, the Ext Designer tool is worth it.

Also - Sencha posted videos from last years SenchaCon.  I was at the conference, the sessions overall were pretty good.
JT
jts-blog.com

Re: Grails UI - Is this the best or there are better alternatives

AshishGupta001
Thanks Gaurav/John, Lucas for your suggestions.
Seems that ExtJS has some license. Might not be able to use it. Will give a spin to JQuery.

Ashish

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 5:41 PM, John Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:
I know what you mean.  It kept me on the sidelines for a long time.

Their API docs are pretty good.

I highly recommend ExtJS in Action for getting up to speed.  And if you can
afford a few hundred bucks, the Ext Designer tool is worth it.

Also - Sencha posted videos from last years SenchaCon.  I was at the
conference, the sessions overall were pretty good.

-----
JT
jts-blog.com

Re: Grails UI - Is this the best or there are better alternatives

gauravchauhan
Good luck with jQuery. Let me know if you need some help with it's integration with grails.

Regards
Gaurav Chauhan

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 10:48 PM, Ashish Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Gaurav/John, Lucas for your suggestions.
Seems that ExtJS has some license. Might not be able to use it. Will give a spin to JQuery.

Ashish

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 5:41 PM, John Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:
I know what you mean.  It kept me on the sidelines for a long time.

Their API docs are pretty good.

I highly recommend ExtJS in Action for getting up to speed.  And if you can
afford a few hundred bucks, the Ext Designer tool is worth it.

Also - Sencha posted videos from last years SenchaCon.  I was at the
conference, the sessions overall were pretty good.

-----
JT
jts-blog.com

Re: Grails UI - Is this the best or there are better alternatives

elvanor
It's not well known, but Qooxdoo is an amazing JS library to create
rich internet apps. When I mean amazing, I really mean it. It's not
really comparable to jQuery but it's probably vastly superior to ExtJS
(I tried Ext two years ago and was not very happy with it. It may have
improved since but I am confident it remains inferior to Qooxdoo,
which has the added benefit of being open source and free as in beer).

Jean-Noel

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Gaurav Chauhan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good luck with jQuery. Let me know if you need some help with it's
> integration with grails.
>
> Regards
> Gaurav Chauhan
>

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 10:48 PM, Ashish Gupta <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Gaurav/John, Lucas for your suggestions.
>> Seems that ExtJS has some license. Might not be able to use it. Will give
>> a spin to JQuery.
>>
>> Ashish
>> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 5:41 PM, John Thompson <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I know what you mean.  It kept me on the sidelines for a long time.
>>>
>>> Their API docs are pretty good.
>>>
>>> I highly recommend ExtJS in Action for getting up to speed.  And if you
>>> can
>>> afford a few hundred bucks, the Ext Designer tool is worth it.
>>>
>>> Also - Sencha posted videos from last years SenchaCon.  I was at the
>>> conference, the sessions overall were pretty good.
>>>
>>> -----
>>> JT
>>> jts-blog.com

Re: Grails UI - Is this the best or there are better alternatives

aappddeevv
Are most grails developers using the javascript-focused UI libraries?

I just started using grails and realize that for the heavy lifting in the UI and my application, I'll need an advanced UI framework. It seems that the infrastructure from grails provides a solid framework, contains some parts that overlap with JSF but requires a plugin on the UI side to get to a more advanced UI. The data part and spring part work great as a foundation.

After starting with grails and writing a few UI pages, I was astounded at the complexity of simply getting 2 combo boxes on the page where 1 combo box is dependent on the selection on the first. Grails made it easier (it was a combination of a GSP+remoteFunction+template+controller action), but things like this need to be alot easier for me to wire up to move forward. I have alot of hierarchical data in my application that will need to have similar UI designs.

But I am having trouble identifying the criteria for selecting between a full JSF framework like RichFaces or a javascript one like Qooxdoo or Ext2JS or even GWT.

So after selecting grails, the criteria for selecting the advanced UI part becomes challenging quickly. From this thread, it seems that most people go with a javascript based UI framework.

True?

Re: Grails UI - Is this the best or there are better alternatives

Matthew Taylor-2
You must keep in mind that ALL these solutions you are talking about resolve to simply JavaScript running in the browser. If you want a rich UI on a browser, you have to choose between two technologies: JavaScript & Flash. Some of the solution we are talking about -- RichFaces, GrailsUI, GWT, remoteFunction -- are abstractions over top of JavaScript.

The other choices mentioned here -- YUI, jQuery, ExtJS, Qooxdoo, etc. -- are JavaScript libraries you use directly.

The main question here is: Do you want to learn JavaScript?

If the answer is no, choose GrailsUI or RichUI, or attempt to integrate RichFaces or GWT with Grails. GrailsUI may help you here, but I've stopped maintaining it, so I don't know what state it is in. RichUI may help you, but I haven't looked at it in years.

If you would like to learn JavaScript, JavaScript DOM integration, and event-based programming on the client, pick up a good book and dig into your JavaScript framework of choice.

 \m/ (>.<) \m/
matthew taylor

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 6:31 AM, aappddeevv <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

robelsner
> But I am having trouble identifying the criteria for selecting between a
> full JSF framework like RichFaces or a javascript one like Qooxdoo or
> Ext2JS
> or even GWT.
>
> So after selecting grails, the criteria for selecting the advanced UI part
> becomes challenging quickly. From this thread, it seems that most people
> go
> with a javascript based UI framework.

For better or worse, JavaScript is the language of the browser right
now.  I don't see why you would want to wrap this or hide it, that's
only going to bite you in the end when something subtle goes wrong on
a specific browser.

I have used Qooxdoo, it is a really easy JavaScript library.  The only
problem I had with it was the sometimes tedious "compile" phase where
it re-generated some of its backend source files depending on your
changes (imports, basically) and that cycle could wear on you after a
while.

I am currently evaluating ExtJS, but can accept it under the GPL
license so I do not have the concern about the license.  It too is
quite impressive, and if you can take 3.3 the designer seems well
worth the money though even just playing around with the designer
trial to understand the ExtJS preference, and then writing code
yourself is quite easy.

Rob

Re: Grails UI - Is this the best or there are better alternatives

Mengu
i second this. Ii you want a desktop like web application, it's not ExtJS, jQuery UI, Dojo, etc. but it is Qooxdoo. Simply amazing tool. if you wish to use qooxdoo & grails together, you can read this post of mine: http://www.mengu.net/post/getting-started-with-grails-and-qooxdoo

2011/4/16 Jean-Noël Rivasseau <[hidden email]>
It's not well known, but Qooxdoo is an amazing JS library to create
rich internet apps. When I mean amazing, I really mean it. It's not
really comparable to jQuery but it's probably vastly superior to ExtJS
(I tried Ext two years ago and was not very happy with it. It may have
improved since but I am confident it remains inferior to Qooxdoo,
which has the added benefit of being open source and free as in beer).

Jean-Noel

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Gaurav Chauhan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Good luck with jQuery. Let me know if you need some help with it's
> integration with grails.
>
> Regards
> Gaurav Chauhan
>

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 10:48 PM, Ashish Gupta <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Gaurav/John, Lucas for your suggestions.
>> Seems that ExtJS has some license. Might not be able to use it. Will give
>> a spin to JQuery.
>>
>> Ashish
>> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 5:41 PM, John Thompson <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I know what you mean.  It kept me on the sidelines for a long time.
>>>
>>> Their API docs are pretty good.
>>>
>>> I highly recommend ExtJS in Action for getting up to speed.  And if you
>>> can
>>> afford a few hundred bucks, the Ext Designer tool is worth it.
>>>
>>> Also - Sencha posted videos from last years SenchaCon.  I was at the
>>> conference, the sessions overall were pretty good.
>>>
>>> -----
>>> JT
>>> jts-blog.com

Re: Grails UI - Is this the best or there are better alternatives

elvanor

> I have used Qooxdoo, it is a really easy JavaScript library.  The only
> problem I had with it was the sometimes tedious "compile" phase where
> it re-generated some of its backend source files depending on your
> changes (imports, basically) and that cycle could wear on you after a
> while.

Just wanted to point out this compile phase is a non issue,
essentially. Once you start using Qooxdoo on a real project, you will
find out you rarely run the compile program, and it takes 2 seconds
after the first run (which usually takes 1 or 2 minutes).

In my very complex project (maybe 50 to 100K lines of Qx code), I
rarely run the compile phase more than once a week, and except if I
rebooted my computer, it takes 3 seconds.

Re: Grails UI - Is this the best or there are better alternatives

tomas lin
The flex plugin is also very good if you want to target desktop and
mobile devices. http://coenraets.org/blog/2009/09/flex4mdd/

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 2:31 PM, aappddeevv <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are most grails developers using the javascript-focused UI libraries?
>
> I just started using grails and realize that for the heavy lifting in the UI
> and my application, I'll need an advanced UI framework. It seems that the
> infrastructure from grails provides a solid framework, contains some parts
> that overlap with JSF but requires a plugin on the UI side to get to a more
> advanced UI. The data part and spring part work great as a foundation.
>
> After starting with grails and writing a few UI pages, I was astounded at
> the complexity of simply getting 2 combo boxes on the page where 1 combo box
> is dependent on the selection on the first. Grails made it easier (it was a
> combination of a GSP+remoteFunction+template+controller action), but things
> like this need to be alot easier for me to wire up to move forward. I have
> alot of hierarchical data in my application that will need to have similar
> UI designs.
>
> But I am having trouble identifying the criteria for selecting between a
> full JSF framework like RichFaces or a javascript one like Qooxdoo or Ext2JS
> or even GWT.
>
> So after selecting grails, the criteria for selecting the advanced UI part
> becomes challenging quickly. From this thread, it seems that most people go
> with a javascript based UI framework.
>
> True?

Re: Grails UI - Is this the best or there are better alternatives

Rob Meidal
One of the main reasons I chose Dojo over the other libraries is that it has support for accessibility and a very flexible loader to make streamlined releases.

1.6.1 is about to be released and I am planning on adding this release to the Dojo Plugin in May.

Rob

On Apr 18, 2011, at 2:46 AM, Mengü Kağan wrote:

i second this. Ii you want a desktop like web application, it's not ExtJS, jQuery UI, Dojo, etc. but it is Qooxdoo. Simply amazing tool. if you wish to use qooxdoo & grails together, you can read this post of mine: http://www.mengu.net/post/getting-started-with-grails-and-qooxdoo

2011/4/16 Jean-Noël Rivasseau <[hidden email]>
It's not well known, but Qooxdoo is an amazing JS library to create
rich internet apps. When I mean amazing, I really mean it. It's not
really comparable to jQuery but it's probably vastly superior to ExtJS
(I tried Ext two years ago and was not very happy with it. It may have
improved since but I am confident it remains inferior to Qooxdoo,
which has the added benefit of being open source and free as in beer).

Jean-Noel

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Gaurav Chauhan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Good luck with jQuery. Let me know if you need some help with it's
> integration with grails.
>
> Regards
> Gaurav Chauhan
>

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 10:48 PM, Ashish Gupta <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Gaurav/John, Lucas for your suggestions.
>> Seems that ExtJS has some license. Might not be able to use it. Will give
>> a spin to JQuery.
>>
>> Ashish
>> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 5:41 PM, John Thompson <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I know what you mean.  It kept me on the sidelines for a long time.
>>>
>>> Their API docs are pretty good.
>>>
>>> I highly recommend ExtJS in Action for getting up to speed.  And if you
>>> can
>>> afford a few hundred bucks, the Ext Designer tool is worth it.
>>>
>>> Also - Sencha posted videos from last years SenchaCon.  I was at the
>>> conference, the sessions overall were pretty good.
>>>
>>> -----
>>> JT
>>> jts-blog.com

Re: Grails UI - Is this the best or there are better alternatives

Dean Del Ponte-2
+1 for jQuery, plus it's being added to Grails core in version 1.4

- Dean Del Ponte

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Rob Meidal <[hidden email]> wrote:
One of the main reasons I chose Dojo over the other libraries is that it has support for accessibility and a very flexible loader to make streamlined releases.

1.6.1 is about to be released and I am planning on adding this release to the Dojo Plugin in May.

Rob

On Apr 18, 2011, at 2:46 AM, Mengü Kağan wrote:

i second this. Ii you want a desktop like web application, it's not ExtJS, jQuery UI, Dojo, etc. but it is Qooxdoo. Simply amazing tool. if you wish to use qooxdoo & grails together, you can read this post of mine: http://www.mengu.net/post/getting-started-with-grails-and-qooxdoo

2011/4/16 Jean-Noël Rivasseau <[hidden email]>
It's not well known, but Qooxdoo is an amazing JS library to create
rich internet apps. When I mean amazing, I really mean it. It's not
really comparable to jQuery but it's probably vastly superior to ExtJS
(I tried Ext two years ago and was not very happy with it. It may have
improved since but I am confident it remains inferior to Qooxdoo,
which has the added benefit of being open source and free as in beer).

Jean-Noel

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Gaurav Chauhan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Good luck with jQuery. Let me know if you need some help with it's
> integration with grails.
>
> Regards
> Gaurav Chauhan
>

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 10:48 PM, Ashish Gupta <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Gaurav/John, Lucas for your suggestions.
>> Seems that ExtJS has some license. Might not be able to use it. Will give
>> a spin to JQuery.
>>
>> Ashish
>> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 5:41 PM, John Thompson <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I know what you mean.  It kept me on the sidelines for a long time.
>>>
>>> Their API docs are pretty good.
>>>
>>> I highly recommend ExtJS in Action for getting up to speed.  And if you
>>> can
>>> afford a few hundred bucks, the Ext Designer tool is worth it.
>>>
>>> Also - Sencha posted videos from last years SenchaCon.  I was at the
>>> conference, the sessions overall were pretty good.
>>>
>>> -----
>>> JT
>>> jts-blog.com

Re: Grails UI - Is this the best or there are better alternatives

aappddeevv
I think the "learning javascript" part is the thought that keeps nagging me. Its not a complex language but programming the client is a new model to learn. It looks like qooxdoo has a pseudo-object model on top of javascript. I liked how you described the libraries.

Generally, as much as possible, I do try to stay within one language, one tool chain etc. I don't that's an easy thing to do in the java web world. I think that this one-environment desire has made me pause around the commitment I probably need to make to learn javascript or any abstractions on top of it.

It would be nice if the grails plugin web page had a tally box (you can only vote once) for counting which rich UI library each developer uses as a way to understand developer patterns.

Re: Grails UI - Is this the best or there are better alternatives

Frik
Take a look at:
http://www.zkoss.org/
http://code.google.com/p/zkgrails/

Zk can do amazing client side stuff without any javascript coding (javascript optional).

I believe they have an amazing architecture and fits in nicely with Grails when you use the plugin.

Frik

On Apr 23, 2011, at 5:40 PM, aappddeevv wrote:

> I think the "learning javascript" part is the thought that keeps nagging me.
> Its not a complex language but programming the client is a new model to
> learn. It looks like qooxdoo has a pseudo-object model on top of javascript.
> I liked how you described the libraries.
>
> Generally, as much as possible, I do try to stay within one language, one
> tool chain etc. I don't that's an easy thing to do in the java web world. I
> think that this one-environment desire has made me pause around the
> commitment I probably need to make to learn javascript or any abstractions
> on top of it.
>
> It would be nice if the grails plugin web page had a tally box (you can only
> vote once) for counting which rich UI library each developer uses as a way
> to understand developer patterns.

Re: Grails UI - Is this the best or there are better alternatives

aappddeevv
zk does looking interesting. I'll explore it more. I like the one language part and they have decent data binding and xaml-like DSL for layout. I especially like the feel that they have latched onto something like WPF's templates as well.

Re: Grails UI - Is this the best or there are better alternatives

marcopas
I second that, recently started playing with Qooxdoo also but as
stated you will have to learn another API and language. ZK is on my
wish list to explore in depth.

2011/4/27 aappddeevv <[hidden email]>:

> zk does looking interesting. I'll explore it more. I like the one language
> part and they have decent data binding and xaml-like DSL for layout. I
> especially like the feel that they have latched onto something like WPF's
> templates as well.

12