Grails and Tomcat - Scaling and Production Tuning...

Grails and Tomcat - Scaling and Production Tuning...

webmediauk
Hey Guys,
I looking to deploy my app to a production environment soonish.
Just wondering if there is good documentation/articles I can read with regards to scaling/configuring Grails for an enterprise environment?
or as I am deploying to Tomcat should I really be looking at Tomcat in a production environment?
Not really sure where the best place to start is?
Thanks
Barry

Re: Grails and Tomcat - Scaling and Production Tuning...

Dean Del Ponte-2
Tomcat is a great server and will work well in a production environment.

We use it exclusively.

How much traffic are you expecting?

Performance of the apps on our tomcat instances has been great and I've had to do little more than allocate more memory to it.

Thanks,

Dean Del Ponte

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 10:50 AM, webmediauk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Guys,
I looking to deploy my app to a production environment soonish.
Just wondering if there is good documentation/articles I can read with
regards to scaling/configuring Grails for an enterprise environment?
or as I am deploying to Tomcat should I really be looking at Tomcat in a
production environment?
Not really sure where the best place to start is?
Thanks
Barry

Re: Grails and Tomcat - Scaling and Production Tuning...

webmediauk
Thanks Dean,
Not really sure how much traffic we are going to get eventually. Plan is to slowly increase the number of users on the system, so I guess we will just have to see.
I'm interested in the options available if we do need to scale up. Clusters load balancing etc. Is this something grails is capable of or will that be purely down to tomcat?
Thanks

Re: Grails and Tomcat - Scaling and Production Tuning...

Jordon Saardchit
You are really looking at 3 seperate topics here.

1) Groovy/Grails Performance - Architecting and implementing your application in a an efficient manor.

2) JVM Tuning

3) Tomcat High Availability (clustering).

NOTE: I haven't even touched the datastore tuning/clustering.

Each of the 3 topics are very very lengthy and have many of their own solutions, making them sort of difficult to provide a single succinct answer.  My advice would be to start doing some research on jvm tuning options (specifically tuning the garbage collector to your application), researching tomcat clustering options (there are tons of options here), and start getting very comfortable with profiling (yourkit, jprobe, and a host of others).

This list is pretty good at handling specific questions, so ask away when you encounter any, but these topics combined could easily be translated into a few month course

Jordon

On Nov 18, 2011, at 1:33 AM, Barry Antrobus wrote:

Thanks Dean,
Not really sure how much traffic we are going to get eventually. Plan is to slowly increase the number of users on the system, so I guess we will just have to see.
I'm interested in the options available if we do need to scale up. Clusters load balancing etc. Is this something grails is capable of or will that be purely down to tomcat?
Thanks

Re: Grails and Tomcat - Scaling and Production Tuning...

bobbywarner
Specific to Groovy/Grails Performance, check out this screen-cast. Lots of good tips.

http://grails.org/screencast/show/29

Thanks,
Bobby

Re: Grails and Tomcat - Scaling and Production Tuning...

bgriese
Barry,

Are you using a second level cache? If not, that is the first place I would start. I would also check out terracotta (http://www.terracotta.org/downloads/open-source) as that will allow you to cluster cache and sessions.

Bob Griese

http://grails.1312388.n4.nabble.com/Grails-and-Tomcat-Scaling-and-Production-Tuning-tp4080646p4082680.html
To unsubscribe from Grails, click here.
NAML

Re: Grails and Tomcat - Scaling and Production Tuning...

webmediauk
Thanks for your comments Jordan. I think I will do exactly as you suggest. I've got some experience using lambda probe to monitor resources and find leaks etc on the jvm, so I guess I start there and read up as much as I can on clustering etc in the meantime.
Thanks