Grails development code style (IDE formatting settings)?

Grails development code style (IDE formatting settings)?

Lari Hotari -
Hi,

Do we already have standards for Grails code style (IDE formatting
settings)?

It would be good if all developers used the same IDE formatting settings
for Grails development.
It's easier to do diffs later on if we all use the same style from the
beginning.

Examples for STS :
http://static.springsource.org/spring/xml/spring-code-conventions.xml .
Referenced here: http://www.springsource.org/jira
https://github.com/SpringSource/spring-amqp/blob/master/eclipse-code-formatter.xml

Could we standardize on some settings? There should be similar profiles
for STS and IntelliJ.

Lari

Re: Grails development code style (IDE formatting settings)?

burtbeckwith
Here's one that's a bit newer format. I diffed them and it's mostly the same as the SpringSource standard, the big difference being that we agreed on spaces instead of tabs. Although if you're in favor of tabs we should re-vote :)

> Do we already have standards for Grails code style (IDE formatting
> settings)?
>
> It would be good if all developers used the same IDE formatting settings
> for Grails development.
> It's easier to do diffs later on if we all use the same style from the
> beginning.
>
> Examples for STS :
> http://static.springsource.org/spring/xml/spring-code-conventions.xml .
> Referenced here: http://www.springsource.org/jira
> https://github.com/SpringSource/spring-amqp/blob/master/eclipse-code-formatter.xml
>
> Could we standardize on some settings? There should be similar profiles
> for STS and IntelliJ.
>
> Lari

profile.xml (30K) Download Attachment

Re: Grails development code style (IDE formatting settings)?

ld@ldaley.com
hooray for tabs!

On 29/09/2011, at 4:35 AM, Burt Beckwith wrote:

> Here's one that's a bit newer format. I diffed them and it's mostly the same as the SpringSource standard, the big difference being that we agreed on spaces instead of tabs. Although if you're in favor of tabs we should re-vote :)
>
> Burt
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Do we already have standards for Grails code style (IDE formatting
>> settings)?
>>
>> It would be good if all developers used the same IDE formatting settings
>> for Grails development.
>> It's easier to do diffs later on if we all use the same style from the
>> beginning.
>>
>> Examples for STS :
>> http://static.springsource.org/spring/xml/spring-code-conventions.xml .
>> Referenced here: http://www.springsource.org/jira
>> https://github.com/SpringSource/spring-amqp/blob/master/eclipse-code-formatter.xml
>>
>> Could we standardize on some settings? There should be similar profiles
>> for STS and IntelliJ.
>>
>> Lari
> <profile.xml>---------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Grails development code style (IDE formatting settings)?

basejump (Josh)
+1 on tabs

On Sep 29, 2011, at 6:16 AM, Luke Daley wrote:

> hooray for tabs!
>
> On 29/09/2011, at 4:35 AM, Burt Beckwith wrote:
>
>> Here's one that's a bit newer format. I diffed them and it's mostly the same as the SpringSource standard, the big difference being that we agreed on spaces instead of tabs. Although if you're in favor of tabs we should re-vote :)
>>
>> Burt
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Do we already have standards for Grails code style (IDE formatting
>>> settings)?
>>>
>>> It would be good if all developers used the same IDE formatting settings
>>> for Grails development.
>>> It's easier to do diffs later on if we all use the same style from the
>>> beginning.
>>>
>>> Examples for STS :
>>> http://static.springsource.org/spring/xml/spring-code-conventions.xml .
>>> Referenced here: http://www.springsource.org/jira
>>> https://github.com/SpringSource/spring-amqp/blob/master/eclipse-code-formatter.xml
>>>
>>> Could we standardize on some settings? There should be similar profiles
>>> for STS and IntelliJ.
>>>
>>> Lari
>> <profile.xml>---------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Grails development code style (IDE formatting settings)?

Giancarlo Angulo
+1 on spaces.
================================
                   Giancarlo Angulo
================================
-----|-^_^X@^_^,=====|+^_^X~_~@-----

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Burt Beckwith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Here's one that's a bit newer format. I diffed them and it's mostly the same as the SpringSource standard, the big difference being that we agreed on spaces instead of tabs. Although if you're in favor of tabs we should re-vote :)

> Do we already have standards for Grails code style (IDE formatting
> settings)?
>
> It would be good if all developers used the same IDE formatting settings
> for Grails development.
> It's easier to do diffs later on if we all use the same style from the
> beginning.
>
> Examples for STS :
> http://static.springsource.org/spring/xml/spring-code-conventions.xml .
> Referenced here: http://www.springsource.org/jira
> https://github.com/SpringSource/spring-amqp/blob/master/eclipse-code-formatter.xml
>
> Could we standardize on some settings? There should be similar profiles
> for STS and IntelliJ.
>
> Lari

Re: Grails development code style (IDE formatting settings)?

ld@ldaley.com
For the record, I wasn't pushing to use tabs on gradle-core. The standard is clearly spaces so everyone should use that.

On 29/09/2011, at 5:10 PM, Giancarlo Angulo wrote:

+1 on spaces.
================================
                   Giancarlo Angulo
================================
-----|-^_^X@^_^,=====|+^_^X~_~@-----

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Burt Beckwith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Here's one that's a bit newer format. I diffed them and it's mostly the same as the SpringSource standard, the big difference being that we agreed on spaces instead of tabs. Although if you're in favor of tabs we should re-vote :)

> Do we already have standards for Grails code style (IDE formatting
> settings)?
>
> It would be good if all developers used the same IDE formatting settings
> for Grails development.
> It's easier to do diffs later on if we all use the same style from the
> beginning.
>
> Examples for STS :
> http://static.springsource.org/spring/xml/spring-code-conventions.xml .
> Referenced here: http://www.springsource.org/jira
> https://github.com/SpringSource/spring-amqp/blob/master/eclipse-code-formatter.xml
>
> Could we standardize on some settings? There should be similar profiles
> for STS and IntelliJ.
>
> Lari

Re: Grails development code style (IDE formatting settings)?

pledbrook
> For the record, I wasn't pushing to use tabs on gradle-core. The standard is
> clearly spaces so everyone should use that.

s/gradle/grails I suspect. Unless you _were_ pushing for tabs on grails-core? :)

--
Peter Ledbrook
Grails Advocate

On 29/09/2011, at 5:38 PM, Peter Ledbrook wrote:

>> For the record, I wasn't pushing to use tabs on gradle-core. The standard is
>> clearly spaces so everyone should use that.
>
> s/gradle/grails I suspect. Unless you _were_ pushing for tabs on grails-core? :)

Oops. That won't be the last time that happens.

Re: Grails development code style (IDE formatting settings)?

Ken Roberts-2
+1 for tabs at the beginning of the line, and spaces after text starts.

This lets everyone have their favorite indent setting while not messing up alignment of text that may be helpful.