Grails development vs production

Sergei Rahouski

What is the difference between Grails development and production environments? Is there a page describing differences if any?

Should I expect performance differences between “grails dev war” and “grails prod war” pointing to the same database?

Thanks!

This message and any attachments originate from International Decision Systems (IDS) and contains privileged and/or confidential information. If you receive this message in error or are not the intended recipient, you may not disseminate this message and you are requested to erase all copies of this message and its attachments and contact the sender by email or by calling +1 (612) 851-3200.

Re: Grails development vs production

Nathan Wells
Read this and reply with any specific questions:

Nathan Wells

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Sergei Rahouski <[hidden email]> wrote:

Is there a page describing differences if any?

Should I expect performance differences between “grails dev war” and “grails prod war” pointing to the same databas

RE: Grails development vs production

Sergei Rahouski

I’ve seen this page. Nothing suggest there are differences. I am trying to confirm my conclusion.

This message and any attachments originate from International Decision Systems (IDS) and contains privileged and/or confidential information. If you receive this message in error or are not the intended recipient, you may not disseminate this message and you are requested to erase all copies of this message and its attachments and contact the sender by email or by calling +1 (612) 851-3200.

Re: Grails development vs production

rmangi
<base href="x-msg://2283/">Hi Sergei,

The only difference between the environments are the configuration properties which you set, usually in DataSource.groovy and Config.groovy and sometimes in other conf files. Generally people will use the in memory H2 database in development and something

Hope that confirms your suspicions.

Rick

-------------------------
Rick Mangi
SVP of Technology
twitter: @rmangi
www.broadcastr.com

I’ve seen this page. Nothing suggest there are differences. I am trying to confirm my conclusion.

This message and any attachments originate from International Decision Systems (IDS) and contains privileged and/or confidential information. If you receive this message in error or are not the intended recipient, you may not disseminate this message and you are requested to erase all copies of this message and its attachments and contact the sender by email or by calling +1 (612) 851-3200.

RE: Grails development vs production

Sergei Rahouski
<base href="x-msg://2283/">

Thanks Rick.

This message and any attachments originate from International Decision Systems (IDS) and contains privileged and/or confidential information. If you receive this message in error or are not the intended recipient, you may not disseminate this message and you are requested to erase all copies of this message and its attachments and contact the sender by email or by calling +1 (612) 851-3200.

Re: Grails development vs production

Jeff Brown-4

On Nov 2, 2012, at 12:18 PM, Rick Mangi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Sergei,
>
> The only difference between the environments are the configuration properties which you set, usually in DataSource.groovy and Config.groovy and sometimes in other conf files.

I don't think that is correct.  An example is support for the showSource attribute, which is only enabled in development mode.  That is hardcoded in the groovy pages plugin (which is part of core), not configurable via Config.groovy.

JSB

--
Jeff Brown
SpringSource

Autism Strikes 1 in 166
Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Re: Grails development vs production

Sebastian Gozin
I'd also point out plugins are loaded differently in production when packaged in the war (default). Whereas dev loads them from $HOME/.grails
I've known this to result in exceptions when something didn't work as expected in production but did work in dev mode.

Sebastian

On 02 Nov 2012, at 19:50, Jeff Brown wrote:

> On Nov 2, 2012, at 12:18 PM, Rick Mangi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Sergei,
>>
>> The only difference between the environments are the configuration properties which you set, usually in DataSource.groovy and Config.groovy and sometimes in other conf files.
>
> I don't think that is correct.  An example is support for the showSource attribute, which is only enabled in development mode.  That is hardcoded in the groovy pages plugin (which is part of core), not configurable via Config.groovy.
>

> JSB
>
> --
> Jeff Brown
> SpringSource
> http://www.springsource.com/
>
> Autism Strikes 1 in 166
> Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
> http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Re: Grails development vs production

bksaville
Also hot reloading of changed classes works differently in production vs dev that I've noticed.

-Brian

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Sebastian Gozin <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd also point out plugins are loaded differently in production when packaged in the war (default). Whereas dev loads them from $HOME/.grails
I've known this to result in exceptions when something didn't work as expected in production but did work in dev mode.

Sebastian

On 02 Nov 2012, at 19:50, Jeff Brown wrote:

> On Nov 2, 2012, at 12:18 PM, Rick Mangi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Sergei,
>>
>> The only difference between the environments are the configuration properties which you set, usually in DataSource.groovy and Config.groovy and sometimes in other conf files.
>
> I don't think that is correct.  An example is support for the showSource attribute, which is only enabled in development mode.  That is hardcoded in the groovy pages plugin (which is part of core), not configurable via Config.groovy.
>

> JSB
>
> --
> Jeff Brown
> SpringSource
> http://www.springsource.com/
>
> Autism Strikes 1 in 166
> Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
> http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Re: Grails development vs production

rmangi
See, sometimes it takes someone making a broad statement to get the rest of the group to chime in ;-)

All good information.

-------------------------
Rick Mangi
SVP of Technology
twitter: @rmangi
www.broadcastr.com

On Nov 2, 2012, at 2:50 PM, Jeff Brown wrote:

On Nov 2, 2012, at 12:18 PM, Rick Mangi <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Sergei,

The only difference between the environments are the configuration properties which you set, usually in DataSource.groovy and Config.groovy and sometimes in other conf files.

I don't think that is correct.  An example is support for the showSource attribute, which is only enabled in development mode.  That is hardcoded in the groovy pages plugin (which is part of core), not configurable via Config.groovy.

JSB

--
Jeff Brown
SpringSource
http://www.springsource.com/

Autism Strikes 1 in 166
Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Re: Grails development vs production

Chandan Luthra
Also, GSPs are cached for production environment and not for dev.

Thanks,
Chandan Luthra.