Grails download page ordering

Antony Jones
Hi All,

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I have just watched
three Grails newbies install version 1.4-M1 from the download page
http://www.grails.org/Download. Is this what we really want? It seems
that newbies should be directed to 1.3.7 to start with, which is a
much more stable and usable release, currently.

I suggest that the ordering of the page is wrong, and perhaps the
milestones should be buried somewhere below the 'Grails Development
Builds' heading?

Re: Grails download page ordering

pledbrook
> I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I have just watched
> three Grails newbies install version 1.4-M1 from the download page
> http://www.grails.org/Download. Is this what we really want? It seems
> that newbies should be directed to 1.3.7 to start with, which is a
> much more stable and usable release, currently.

Interesting and somewhat surprising. That said, looking at the page
again it doesn't really stand out as a non-stable release.

> I suggest that the ordering of the page is wrong, and perhaps the
> milestones should be buried somewhere below the 'Grails Development
> Builds' heading?

That's a bit too hidden away, but the grails.org application does
distinguish between milestone and GA releases so we could do
something. Do you mind raising a JIRA for it?

Thanks,

Peter

--
Peter Ledbrook
Grails Advocate

http://jira.grails.org/browse/WEBSITE

--
Peter Ledbrook
Grails Advocate

Re: Grails download page ordering

John Fletcher-3
Yes the first item on a download page should always be what you recommend the average uninformed user download.

John

2011/7/27 Peter Ledbrook <[hidden email]>
> That's a bit too hidden away, but the grails.org application does
> distinguish between milestone and GA releases so we could do
> something. Do you mind raising a JIRA for it?

http://jira.grails.org/browse/WEBSITE

--
Peter Ledbrook
Grails Advocate

Re: Grails download page ordering

Antony Jones
Not at all - I'll raise it asap.

Done: http://jira.grails.org/browse/WEBSITE-144

On 28 July 2011 11:41, Antony Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not at all - I'll raise it asap.
>
> On 27 July 2011 09:42, Peter Ledbrook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> That's a bit too hidden away, but the grails.org application does
>>> distinguish between milestone and GA releases so we could do
>>> something. Do you mind raising a JIRA for it?
>>
>> http://jira.grails.org/browse/WEBSITE
>>
>> --
>> Peter Ledbrook
>> Grails Advocate
>> SpringSource - A Division of VMware

> ________________________________
> ꜽ . antony jones . http://www.enzy.org

Re: Grails download page ordering

pledbrook
> I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I have just watched
> three Grails newbies install version 1.4-M1 from the download page
> http://www.grails.org/Download. Is this what we really want? It seems
> that newbies should be directed to 1.3.7 to start with, which is a
> much more stable and usable release, currently.
>
> I suggest that the ordering of the page is wrong, and perhaps the
> milestones should be buried somewhere below the 'Grails Development
> Builds' heading?

http://beta.grails.org/Download

Better? More importantly, good enough?

Cheers,

Peter

--
Peter Ledbrook
Grails Advocate

On 28 July 2011 20:07, Peter Ledbrook <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://beta.grails.org/Download
>
> Better? More importantly, good enough?

Perfect - this is a much more logical layout, and should solve some of
the issues for new users!

Re: Grails download page ordering

John Fletcher-3
I like it.