Quantcast

Grails on openjdk

Octavian Covalschi
Hi there,

Are there any known issues running Grails on openjdk?

I personally experienced a major issue. Basically mongodb plugin and withCriteria would not return domain objects, instead will return raw results(maps)... like those when  Domain.collection.find() is used... I didn't realize initially this but after uninstalling openjdk and installing sunjdk 1.6 it worked as it was expected...

I don't know perhaps because of our app's specific this happened.. we are still using mongodb M6.1 and cannot upgrade to latest because it started to use DBrefs... which breaks our existing collections...but this is another issue.

PS: Grails 1.3.7, Fedora 16, 64bit, openjdk 1.6 from repos...

RE: Grails on openjdk

bksaville
We have not had any luck whatsoever even getting a grails app to start on
openjdk.  Just my 2 cents.

-Brian

Re: Grails on openjdk

olivertynes
Glassfish does not even start in openJDK :-)

-Oliver

--
*****
Oliver Tynes

Re: Grails on openjdk

Hay Tran
I have been using 1.7.0_147-icedtea to develope and run grails 2.0 applications and other developments for the last few months.  I have not found any problems so far.

However, there might be a few limitations impose by some other libraries (not grails specifc) as was mentioned by other replies about image processing and printing.

-Hay

We run on openjdk on oneiric.  No problems so far.

Luis

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Octavian Covalschi <octavian.covalschi@...> wrote:
Thanks for your input guys...

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 1:35 PM, Brian Saville <bsaville@...> wrote:
We have not had any luck whatsoever even getting a grails app to start on
openjdk.  Just my 2 cents.

-Brian

Re: Grails on openjdk

nemnesic
We tried open OpenJDK on AWS as it came as a default install on some of the AMI.
CPU was running 95%. Then we install SUN JDK. The CPU has been maxing at 25%.

So stick with SUN JDK.

Re: Grails on openjdk

Frank Greco
We had several problems running Grails in AWS/Linux (which of course
uses OpenJDK thanks to Oracle changing the terms of the BCL back in
Oct).  We gave up after much hair-pulling and installed OracleJDK and
things seem much better.

Btw, the Grails error msgs (regardless of JDK) are really, really bad
and not informative at all... but that's another thread.

Frank G.

On 2/13/12 10:23 AM, Octavian Covalschi wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Are there any known issues running Grails on openjdk?
>
> I personally experienced a major issue. Basically mongodb plugin and
> withCriteria would not return domain objects, instead will return raw
> results(maps)... like those when  Domain.collection.find() is used...
> I didn't realize initially this but after uninstalling openjdk and
> installing sunjdk 1.6 it worked as it was expected...
>
> I don't know perhaps because of our app's specific this happened.. we
> are still using mongodb M6.1 and cannot upgrade to latest because it
> started to use DBrefs... which breaks our existing collections...but
> this is another issue.
>
> PS: Grails 1.3.7, Fedora 16, 64bit, openjdk 1.6 from repos...

Re: Grails on openjdk

Robert Fletcher-2
It's been reported that this issue occurs with openjdk:
http://jira.grails.org/browse/GPJODATIME-12