Grails plugin resolution with Maven

Franck
Hi,

I have to work with maven.
I made some tests :
- I created a Grails  application  using the maven archetype for
Grails 1.2.2
- I created a Grails plugin using the maven archetype for Grails 1.2.2
(I created an application, I added the plugin descriptor, set the
packaging of the artefact to "grails-plugin" in the pom.xml)
- I added in the application the dependency on the plugin

Using maven, I deploy the plugin successfully in my local repository.
When I Try to build the Grails application, the plugin is not found, I
obtain this error message :
Plugin [grails-myplugin-1.0-SNAPSHOT] not installed, resolving..
Reading remote plugin list ...
Reading remote plugin list ...
Plugin 'grails-myplugin' was not found in repository. If it is not
stored in a configured repository you will need to install it
manually. Type 'grails list-plugins' to find out what plugins are
available.

Any ideas on what's wrong ?
Is there a standard documented way to manage a "local" Grails plugin
resolution with maven ?

Thanks in advance.
Franck

Re: Grails plugin resolution with Maven

pledbrook
> I have to work with maven.
> I made some tests :
> - I created a Grails  application  using the maven archetype for Grails
> 1.2.2
> - I created a Grails plugin using the maven archetype for Grails 1.2.2 (I
> created an application, I added the plugin descriptor, set the packaging of
> the artefact to "grails-plugin" in the pom.xml)
> - I added in the application the dependency on the plugin

Where did you add the dependency? To the application's POM? That's
where it needs to go.

Peter

Re: Grails plugin resolution with Maven

Franck
Hi,

Sorry for the delay...

Le 16 juin 10 à 18:54, Peter Ledbrook a écrit :

>> I have to work with maven.
>> I made some tests :
>> - I created a Grails  application  using the maven archetype for
>> Grails
>> 1.2.2
>> - I created a Grails plugin using the maven archetype for Grails
>> 1.2.2 (I
>> created an application, I added the plugin descriptor, set the
>> packaging of
>> the artefact to "grails-plugin" in the pom.xml)
>> - I added in the application the dependency on the plugin
>
> Where did you add the dependency? To the application's POM? That's
> where it needs to go.

Do you have an exemple on how to declare a dependency on a grails
plugin in the pom ?

I'm currently working on the 1.3.2 version because this version
extends to plugins the dependency management introduced in 1.2.

I run in new problems caused by metadata in the application properties.
My application references in the metadata (in application.properties)
a custom plugin of a custom groupId.
The maven "compile" phase of the application triggers the resolution
of the plugin. The resolution of the plugin referenced in the metadata
is performed searching only on the groupId "org.grails.plugin".
Due to this restriction, the compile phase failed to resolve my grails
plugin because it is in a different group id.

Some others informations...
when I delete the metadata referencing my custom plugin and I express
the dependency to my custom plugin in the buildConfig.groovy file
(here, I can indicate the custom group Id). The compile phase succeed
the first time. At the end of this first build, the build  has added
the reference to the plugin in the application.properties file. Due to
this modification of the metadata, the second try to compile the
application fails because the resolution of the plugin is now
performed seaching in the group Id "org.grails.plugin"...

May be something's wrong on the way I do.
All help is welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Franck

> Peter

Re: Grails plugin resolution with Maven

pledbrook
> Do you have an exemple on how to declare a dependency on a grails plugin in
> the pom ?

<dependency>
    <groupId>org.grails.plugins</groupId>
    <artifactId>grails-myplugin</artifactId>
    <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
    <scope>compile</scope>
</dependency>

> I'm currently working on the 1.3.2 version because this version extends to
> plugins the dependency management introduced in 1.2.
>
> I run in new problems caused by metadata in the application properties.
> My application references in the metadata (in application.properties) a
> custom plugin of a custom groupId.

The Maven plugin wasn't really designed to support building and
running an application with both Maven and the Grails command line
interchangeably. If you use Maven, then all the dependencies should be
specified in the POM.

Some users have expressed a desire to be able to use Maven and the
command line interchangeably, so that's a feature that may be added to
the Maven plugin. If you're interested in that, search for Maven in
the mailing list (or on Nabble) - there have been some recent
exchanges with regard to this topic.

Peter

Re: Grails plugin resolution with Maven

Graeme Rocher-3

On 21 Jun 2010, at 16:24, Peter Ledbrook wrote:

>> Do you have an exemple on how to declare a dependency on a grails plugin in
>> the pom ?
>
> <dependency>
>    <groupId>org.grails.plugins</groupId>
>    <artifactId>grails-myplugin</artifactId>
>    <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
>    <scope>compile</scope>
> </dependency>
>
>> I'm currently working on the 1.3.2 version because this version extends to
>> plugins the dependency management introduced in 1.2.
>>
>> I run in new problems caused by metadata in the application properties.
>> My application references in the metadata (in application.properties) a
>> custom plugin of a custom groupId.
>
> The Maven plugin wasn't really designed to support building and
> running an application with both Maven and the Grails command line
> interchangeably. If you use Maven, then all the dependencies should be
> specified in the POM.
>
> Some users have expressed a desire to be able to use Maven and the
> command line interchangeably, so that's a feature that may be added to
> the Maven plugin. If you're interested in that, search for Maven in
> the mailing list (or on Nabble) - there have been some recent
> exchanges with regard to this topic.

This is kind of possible already if you open up BuildConfig.groovy and specify

pom true

Then the Grails command line will read dependencies from the Maven POM thus allowing you to use the regular Grails command line and only use Maven to specify dependencies (and possibly for build compliance on a build server etc.)

When setting 'pom true', should all other configuration under grails.project.dependency.resolution be removed? (inherits, log, repositories)

Re: Grails plugin resolution with Maven

Franck
Thank you for your answer.

I tried to declare my dependency in the pom with this declaration :
<!-- custom dependencies -->
        <dependency>
           <groupId>example</groupId>
           <artifactId>grails-test-commons</artifactId>
           <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
           <scope>compile</scope>
        </dependency>

I get this error :
INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

Missing:
----------
1) example:grails-test-commons:jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT

The plugin artefact is available in my local maven repository. It has
been built and installed with maven.
(It is resolved when I don't declare via the pom but via the
buildConfig !)

Any idea ?
Thanks in advance.
Franck

PS: I don't use the grails command line to perform all my tests ; I
use only maven goals and phases.

Le 21 juin 10 à 16:24, Peter Ledbrook a écrit :

>> Do you have an exemple on how to declare a dependency on a grails
>> plugin in
>> the pom ?
>
> <dependency>
>    <groupId>org.grails.plugins</groupId>
>    <artifactId>grails-myplugin</artifactId>
>    <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
>    <scope>compile</scope>
> </dependency>
>
>> I'm currently working on the 1.3.2 version because this version
>> extends to
>> plugins the dependency management introduced in 1.2.
>>
>> I run in new problems caused by metadata in the application
>> properties.
>> My application references in the metadata (in
>> application.properties) a
>> custom plugin of a custom groupId.
>
> The Maven plugin wasn't really designed to support building and
> running an application with both Maven and the Grails command line
> interchangeably. If you use Maven, then all the dependencies should be
> specified in the POM.
>
> Some users have expressed a desire to be able to use Maven and the
> command line interchangeably, so that's a feature that may be added to
> the Maven plugin. If you're interested in that, search for Maven in
> the mailing list (or on Nabble) - there have been some recent
> exchanges with regard to this topic.
>
> Peter

Re: Grails plugin resolution with Maven

pledbrook
> Missing:
> ----------
> 1) example:grails-test-commons:jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT
>
> The plugin artefact is available in my local maven repository. It has been
> built and installed with maven.
> (It is resolved when I don't declare via the pom but via the buildConfig !)
>
> Any idea ?

Have a look in your .m2 cache to see what the group ID and artifact ID
are. Check that they are the same as you are specifying. I suspect you
also need to specify <type>grails-plugin</type>, although I can't
remember whether this is necessary. It was some time ago that I tried
this.

Peter

Re: Grails plugin resolution with Maven

mlawler

On 22/06/2010, at 12:36 AM, Graeme Rocher wrote:

Some users have expressed a desire to be able to use Maven and the
command line interchangeably, so that's a feature that may be added to
the Maven plugin. If you're interested in that, search for Maven in
the mailing list (or on Nabble) - there have been some recent
exchanges with regard to this topic.

This is kind of possible already if you open up BuildConfig.groovy and specify

pom true

Then the Grails command line will read dependencies from the Maven POM thus allowing you to use the regular Grails command line and only use Maven to specify dependencies (and possibly for build compliance on a build server etc.)

I tried this today with 1.2.2 and a non-trivial grails plugin with lots of external deps.

I found that if my local POM does not state an explicit version for a dependency (because we inherit versions via a DependencyMgmt block in a parent or super POM - good maven practice, DRY) then the grails command line would get confused and not find my deps.

Known issue or am I doing this wrong?

i.e. in my local POM for my grails project (which is in turn a submodule of a larger maven project, which in turn inherits from a company Super POM yadda yada)

<dependency>
<groupId>mysql</groupId>
<artifactId>mysql-connector-java</artifactId>
</dependency>

and my BuildConfig.groovy

grails.project.dependency.resolution = {
    pom true
    inherits( "global" ) { }
    log "debug" // log level of Ivy resolver, either 'error', 'warn', 'info', 'debug' or 'verbose'
    repositories {
        grailsPlugins()
        grailsHome()
        mavenLocal()
    }
    dependencies { }
}

and my grails commands fail with output like this:

WARN: module not found: mysql#mysql-connector-java;[hidden email]
WARN: ==== grailsPlugins: tried
WARN:   -- artifact mysql#mysql-connector-java;[hidden email]!mysql-connector-java.jar:
WARN:   /Users/michael/workspace/048_DataIgnition/grails/uifw/lib/[hidden email]
WARN:   /Users/michael/workspace/048_DataIgnition/grails/uifw/./plugins/acegi-0.5.2/lib/[hidden email]
WARN:   /Users/michael/workspace/048_DataIgnition/grails/uifw/./plugins/alert-0.6.0-SNAPSHOT/lib/[hidden email]
WARN:   /Users/michael/workspace/048_DataIgnition/grails/uifw/./plugins/bluesteel-0.6.0-SNAPSHOT/lib/[hidden email]
WARN:   /Users/michael/workspace/048_DataIgnition/grails/uifw/./plugins/criteria-0.6.0-SNAPSHOT/lib/[hidden email]
WARN:   /Users/michael/workspace/048_DataIgnition/grails/uifw/./plugins/domain-0.6.0-SNAPSHOT/lib/[hidden email]
WARN:   /Users/michael/workspace/048_DataIgnition/grails/uifw/./plugins/hibernate-1.2.2/lib/[hidden email]
WARN:   /Users/michael/workspace/048_DataIgnition/grails/uifw/./plugins/mail-0.9/lib/[hidden email]
WARN:   /Users/michael/workspace/048_DataIgnition/grails/uifw/./plugins/quartz-0.4.2/lib/[hidden email]
WARN:   /Users/michael/workspace/048_DataIgnition/grails/uifw/./plugins/tomcat-1.2.2/lib/[hidden email]
WARN: ==== grailsHome: tried
WARN:   -- artifact mysql#mysql-connector-java;[hidden email]!mysql-connector-java.jar:
WARN: ==== grailsHome: tried
WARN:   -- artifact mysql#mysql-connector-java;[hidden email]!mysql-connector-java.jar:
WARN: ==== localMavenResolver: tried
WARN:   -- artifact mysql#mysql-connector-java;[hidden email]!mysql-connector-java.jar:

I dont quite understand this output, but my guess is that it doesnt know what the version is and hence can locate the dependency?

However, my maven-based build works fine, and the mysql connector is in my local .m2 repo at:

/Users/michael/.m2/repository/mysql/mysql-connector-java/5.1.9

Note that I think it failed for all my deps that dont have an explicit version. I just showed the mysql connector here as an example.

regards,
Michael

On 22 Jun 2010, at 03:00, Michael Lawler wrote:

[...]

Might be a bug. How does maven behave here when there i no version does it use the latest version?

Cheers

However, my maven-based build works fine, and the mysql connector is in my local .m2 repo at:

/Users/michael/.m2/repository/mysql/mysql-connector-java/5.1.9

Note that I think it failed for all my deps that dont have an explicit version. I just showed the mysql connector here as an example.

regards,
Michael

Re: Grails plugin resolution with Maven

Franck

The new declaration in my pom is :
<dependency>
           <groupId>example</groupId>
           <artifactId>grails-test-commons</artifactId>
           <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
                <type>grails-plugin</type>
           <scope>compile</scope>
</dependency>

I get the following error :
        ==== localMavenResolver: tried

          /Users/franck/.m2/repository/example/grails-test-commons/1.0-
SNAPSHOT/grails-test-commons-1.0-SNAPSHOT.grails-plugin

                ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

                ::              FAILED DOWNLOADS            ::

                :: ^ see resolution messages for details  ^ ::

                ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

                :: example#grails-test-commons;1.0-SNAPSHOT!grails-test-
commons.grails-plugin

                ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The surprising thing is that whatever type I specify, the resolution
looks for an artefact with grails-plugin as extension...

Thanks for your help.
Franck

Le 21 juin 10 à 19:32, Peter Ledbrook a écrit :

>> Missing:
>> ----------
>> 1) example:grails-test-commons:jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT
>>
>> The plugin artefact is available in my local maven repository. It
>> has been
>> built and installed with maven.
>> (It is resolved when I don't declare via the pom but via the
>> buildConfig !)
>>
>> Any idea ?
>
> Have a look in your .m2 cache to see what the group ID and artifact ID
> are. Check that they are the same as you are specifying. I suspect you
> also need to specify <type>grails-plugin</type>, although I can't
> remember whether this is necessary. It was some time ago that I tried
> this.
>
> Peter

Re: Grails plugin resolution with Maven

Franck
Hi,

Looking at the source code of the maven-plugin, I discover...

Fact 1 :
In AbstractGrailsMojo :
- line 256 to 259 : the installation of plugins works only if the
dependency on an artefact of type "grails-pugin" is found ; those are
found only if project dependencies are loaded
Fact 2 :
In MvnCompileMojo :
- Line 41 : the call to runGrails method is made with only one
argument (runGrails("Compile")) implying the project dependencies are
not loaded (runGrails("Compile") equivalent to
runGrails("Compile",null,false))

Due to fact 1 and fact 2, the plugin dependency is never resolved in
the frame of AbstractGrailsMojo.

I modified the MvnCompileMojo to force the load of the project
dependencies :
I line 41 : I replace  runGrails("Compile") by
runGrails("Compile",null,true)
Then the resolution performed by the Mojo works. My custom plugin is
installed !

But I think the "Compile" Grails script that is called in the Mojo
tries to perform the resolution with the ivy resolver because  I
continue to get this message :
==== localMavenResolver: tried

          /Users/franck/.m2/repository/example/grails-test-commons/1.0-
SNAPSHOT/grails-test-commons-1.0-SNAPSHOT.grails-plugin

                ::              FAILED DOWNLOADS            ::

                :: ^ see resolution messages for details  ^ ::

                :: example#grails-test-commons;1.0-SNAPSHOT!grails-test-
commons.grails-plugin

Any better solution to get something working ?

Thanks.
Franck