Grails questions...

Jonathan Carlson
Hi, a couple of questions from a former Smalltalker looking for an
excuse to use Grails at work...

1) Does Grails have support for something like Struts Tiles for laying
out complex web pages?

2) How far is the scaffolding?  Last I heard it wasn't ready yet... at
least the docs talk about it in the future tense.

3) Is View/Controller generation actually working?

4) Will the generated view/controller support pageable and filterable
listings?  That seems pretty important for all but the most trivial
applications (IMHO :-).

5) Is grails intended primarily for apps where grails generates the
data model?  Or will it be able to generate data beans and views from on
an existing database model?

Hopefully this isn't too many questions.  Thanks!

- Jonathan

the system manager.

Katun Corporation -- www.katun.com

Re: Grails questions...

Steven Devijver
Hey Jonathan,

On 3/15/06, Jonathan Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, a couple of questions from a former Smalltalker looking for an
> excuse to use Grails at work...
>
> 1) Does Grails have support for something like Struts Tiles for laying
> out complex web pages?

Grails is actually build on top of Sitemesh which is a more powerful
layout framework than Tiles and you can use this to its full extend in
Grails-based applications as is demonstrated by the ajax sample
application that ships with Grails.

> 2) How far is the scaffolding?  Last I heard it wasn't ready yet... at
> least the docs talk about it in the future tense.

This is probably something we need to correct because the scaffolding
support has been completed and works brilliantly. There are actually
two mode of scaffolding: the first mode is fully automattic and
generates artifacts (controllers or views) at runtime while the second
mode generates this artifacts on the filesystem which allows
customizations. You can find more information here:
http://grails.codehaus.org/Scaffolding

I want to take this opportunity to thank Graeme for writing all this
documentation and implementing scaffolding support in Grails as so
many other features.

> 3) Is View/Controller generation actually working?

It does, see my answer to the previous question.

> 4) Will the generated view/controller support pageable and filterable
> listings?  That seems pretty important for all but the most trivial
> applications (IMHO :-).

I'm actually not sure where this sits on the roadmap. Grails is
currently pre-0.1 (to be released soon) and a lot of interesting
features are yet to be added, paging and filtering being two of them.
We need more contributors for this which is a matter of time and
public awareness. Grails 0.1 has many core features like scaffolding
and a modern MVC framework with dynamic tag libraries and excellent
ajax support.

> 5) Is grails intended primarily for apps where grails generates the
> data model?  Or will it be able to generate data beans and views from on
> an existing database model?

Scaffolding is definitely going to be expanded to support custom
domain models. My vision on this is to support the execution of any
public method on domain objects from within scaffolding views and to
support the notion of dynamic workflows where return values can act as
the next step of a workflow. This will in my opinion revolutionize the
way domain models are designed and used.

> Hopefully this isn't too many questions.  Thanks!

Thanks for your questions, I find them very interesting. It's
difficult to be everything to everyone while still offering good
design and flexibility but I feel your requirements are inline with
where we want to take Grails. In fact the features you mention that
are not yet implemented have already been discussed.

> - Jonathan

Steven

Re: Grails questions...

graemer
On 3/16/06, Steven Devijver <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Jonathan,
>
> On 3/15/06, Jonathan Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi, a couple of questions from a former Smalltalker looking for an
> > excuse to use Grails at work...
> >
> > 1) Does Grails have support for something like Struts Tiles for laying
> > out complex web pages?
>
> Grails is actually build on top of Sitemesh which is a more powerful
> layout framework than Tiles and you can use this to its full extend in
> Grails-based applications as is demonstrated by the ajax sample
> application that ships with Grails.
Yes, the documentation is a little thing on this at the moment, but
there is some here: http://grails.codehaus.org/Views+and+Layouts

We are working on other ways to map layouts to pages too.

> > 2) How far is the scaffolding?  Last I heard it wasn't ready yet... at
> > least the docs talk about it in the future tense.
>
> This is probably something we need to correct because the scaffolding
> support has been completed and works brilliantly. There are actually
> two mode of scaffolding: the first mode is fully automattic and
> generates artifacts (controllers or views) at runtime while the second
> mode generates this artifacts on the filesystem which allows
> customizations. You can find more information here:
> http://grails.codehaus.org/Scaffolding
>
> I want to take this opportunity to thank Graeme for writing all this
> documentation and implementing scaffolding support in Grails as so
> many other features.
Its been a pleasure ;-)

> > 3) Is View/Controller generation actually working?
>
> It does, see my answer to the previous question.
>

> > 4) Will the generated view/controller support pageable and filterable
> > listings?  That seems pretty important for all but the most trivial
> > applications (IMHO :-).
>
> I'm actually not sure where this sits on the roadmap. Grails is
> currently pre-0.1 (to be released soon) and a lot of interesting
> features are yet to be added, paging and filtering being two of them.
> We need more contributors for this which is a matter of time and
> public awareness. Grails 0.1 has many core features like scaffolding
> and a modern MVC framework with dynamic tag libraries and excellent
> ajax support.
pagination is actually supported at the moment on the server side,
each 'list' action accepts a number of arguments such as offset, max,
sort, order etc. that allow pagination to happen, we just haven't
added the appropiate links to the views just yet

filters are on the todo list and have been discussed, in fact we were
going to implement scaffolding for searching for items which would tie
into this

> > 5) Is grails intended primarily for apps where grails generates the
> > data model?  Or will it be able to generate data beans and views from on
> > an existing database model?
>
> Scaffolding is definitely going to be expanded to support custom
> domain models. My vision on this is to support the execution of any
> public method on domain objects from within scaffolding views and to
> support the notion of dynamic workflows where return values can act as
> the next step of a workflow. This will in my opinion revolutionize the
> way domain models are designed and used.

Yes and clearly Grails also supports mapping domain classes with
Hibernate via XML or annotations. So if there is an existing Hibernate
domain model out there already mapped then you can use Grails with it
and generate views, scaffold, use dynamic methods etc.

> > Hopefully this isn't too many questions.  Thanks!
>
> Thanks for your questions, I find them very interesting. It's
> difficult to be everything to everyone while still offering good
> design and flexibility but I feel your requirements are inline with
> where we want to take Grails. In fact the features you mention that
> are not yet implemented have already been discussed.
Agreed :)