Grails weblog article?

Guillaume Laforge-2
Good evening,

Could be fun to publish an article on how to use Grails to build a
blog application, like Simon Brown's framework comparison article:

http://weblogs.java.net/blog/simongbrown/archive/2006/03/comparing_webap_9.html

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: Grails weblog article?

calathus
Would it be easy to translate ruby into groovy?
If Typo(rails based weblog) can be conveterted to grails, it would be useful.
I guess someone already started doing this,  conidering the small size of typo codes, this would be relatively easy thing.

On 3/15/06, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:
Good evening,

Could be fun to publish an article on how to use Grails to build a
blog application, like Simon Brown's framework comparison article:

http://weblogs.java.net/blog/simongbrown/archive/2006/03/comparing_webap_9.html

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

RE: Grails weblog article?

Dierk König
Ruby -> Groovy
is a hard translation. The languages are fundamentally different in architecture.
It may be possible to do manually for a single application or codebase.
It is certainly not possible to do automatically while preserving comprehensibility.

Rails -> Grails
Same as above, where in the average I would expect the manual transition to be
easier since we can rely on a number of conventions.
But with Ruby you can play so many backdoor tricks that the feasiblity cannot
be guaranteed.

Porting any of the standard examples should be pretty straightforward, though.

Dare to take the challenge?

cheers
MIttie

http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: Grails weblog article?

We already have a very basic blog application (actually looking at the
stripes example it is no more basic than that) in the sample apps that
is considerable simpler than the stripes example and uses scaffolding
at its core

Graeme

On 3/15/06, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good evening,
>
> Could be fun to publish an article on how to use Grails to build a
> blog application, like Simon Brown's framework comparison article:
>
> http://weblogs.java.net/blog/simongbrown/archive/2006/03/comparing_webap_9.html
>
> --
> Guillaume Laforge
> Groovy Project Manager
> http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: Grails weblog article?

calathus
Graeme,
Where is the simple blog using Grails? I could not find it in CVS.

I was just thinking to port manually typo code into groovy. since ruby and groovy has similar expressive power, the corresponding codes would not be so different.
Anyway, grails is just a tool, it is good to have high quality application developed using grail to demonstrate its power, like PHP applications do.
Weblog is in this respect good candidate, so it is better not to have too simplistic weblog, but have of some immediate usability.
Also it should be used as sample code to develop practical application on top of grails.
Another reason I liked Typo was it has good theme like 'Lush' theme.

Another idea related weblog is using Groovy to provide RCP(Rich Client Platform) application based on GroovySWT integrated with such Grail application server.
For instance there are several Weblog client tools, Grail may support such client application through Groovy and RCP.
That makes difference Grails from Rails and fits current Web 2.0.1 direction.

We already have a very basic blog application (actually looking at the
stripes example it is no more basic than that) in the sample apps that
is considerable simpler than the stripes example and uses scaffolding
at its core

Graeme

On 3/15/06, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good evening,
>
> Could be fun to publish an article on how to use Grails to build a
> blog application, like Simon Brown's framework comparison article:
>
> http://weblogs.java.net/blog/simongbrown/archive/2006/03/comparing_webap_9.html
>
> --
> Guillaume Laforge
> Groovy Project Manager
> http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: Grails weblog article?

calathus
By the way, I ran groovy-swt checkout from cvs, but the groovy codes were not upto date(not follwoing the latest syntax) though I could esily fixed these probblems.
(Also running the application from Eclipse was a bit diificult to figure out (need to provide vm parameter for the path of native codes)
Anyway this ML would not be right place for reporting this..

On 3/16/06, calathus <[hidden email] > wrote:
Graeme,
Where is the simple blog using Grails? I could not find it in CVS.

I was just thinking to port manually typo code into groovy. since ruby and groovy has similar expressive power, the corresponding codes would not be so different.
Anyway, grails is just a tool, it is good to have high quality application developed using grail to demonstrate its power, like PHP applications do.
Weblog is in this respect good candidate, so it is better not to have too simplistic weblog, but have of some immediate usability.
Also it should be used as sample code to develop practical application on top of grails.
Another reason I liked Typo was it has good theme like 'Lush' theme.

Another idea related weblog is using Groovy to provide RCP(Rich Client Platform) application based on GroovySWT integrated with such Grail application server.
For instance there are several Weblog client tools, Grail may support such client application through Groovy and RCP.
That makes difference Grails from Rails and fits current Web 2.0.1 direction.

We already have a very basic blog application (actually looking at the
stripes example it is no more basic than that) in the sample apps that
is considerable simpler than the stripes example and uses scaffolding
at its core

Graeme

On 3/15/06, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good evening,
>
> Could be fun to publish an article on how to use Grails to build a
> blog application, like Simon Brown's framework comparison article:

> --
> Guillaume Laforge
> Groovy Project Manager

Re: Grails weblog article?

Guillaume Laforge-2
You can provide patches to let us update the code :-)