Idea: Grails based open source project

123

Idea: Grails based open source project

Dmitriy Kopylenko-3
Hello Grails community. I just had an idea. How about an open source Grails project to create a Digg clone? I think it would be cool to create an open source version of one of the most popular concepts of web 2.0 era and it would serve as a great "showcase" for Grails, and last but not least it should be fun :-)

I'm aware of a similar effort in PHP: http://www.pligg.com/ but it's more of a CMS than simply a digg clone.

What do you guys/gals think?

Cheers,
Dmitriy.

Re: Idea: Grails based open source project

Raffaele Castagno-3
I don't think that a clone of such a successful project would be so
interesting...
It would be better imho to think about something new.
I've proposed some time ago the idea of an "Ideas Repository", but
daytime job, various commitments and my not so developed skill in
software design concurred in leaving this "project" at the status of "idea".

Anyway, the proposal is still valid, if someone would like to help in
some way...

Raffaele

--

        */Raffaele CASTAGNO
/*/Logistica & Retail/

/www.gruppotesi.com/

*TESI S.p.A.*
Sede Legale: Via Mendicita' Istruita, 24 - 12042 Bra (CN)
Sede Operativa: Via Savigliano, 48 - 12060 Loc. Roreto di Cherasco (CN)
Tel. 0172 476301 - Fax 0172 476399 - [hidden email]

/
Disclaimer
Questo messaggio è rivolto unicamente al destinatario indicato e
potrebbe contenere informazioni riservate o confidenziali. Nel caso lo
avesse ricevuto per errore, ci scusiamo per l'inconveniente: lo segnali
cortesemente al mittente e distrugga subito l'originale. Ogni altro
utilizzo sarà considerato illegale. Tesi SpA non si assume alcuna
responsabilità per usi impropri di questo messaggio o di sue parti./

/This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain
privileged or confidential information. If you have received it in
error, we apologize for this: please notify the sender immediately and
delete the original. Any other use of the message is illegal. Tesi SpA
does not accept any liability for corruption, interception or damages,
if any, caused by unauthorized use of this message or parts./

And I just found that there is a similar effort going on in the Rails community: http://code.google.com/p/grabthemic/

2007/6/4, Dmitriy Kopylenko < [hidden email]>:
Hello Grails community. I just had an idea. How about an open source Grails project to create a Digg clone? I think it would be cool to create an open source version of one of the most popular concepts of web 2.0 era and it would serve as a great "showcase" for Grails, and last but not least it should be fun :-)

I'm aware of a similar effort in PHP: <a href="http://www.pligg.com/" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://www.pligg.com/ but it's more of a CMS than simply a digg clone.

What do you guys/gals think?

Cheers,
Dmitriy.

RE: Idea: Grails based open source project

Griffin, Matt
Dmitry,

Just something to think about:
Digg (or your favorite web 2.0 site) isn't so much a piece of software
as a community wrapped around a database.  To me, cloning reproduces the
piece of the puzzle with the least value.  How about moving a step up
the chain and creating an entirely new piece of software that uses
Digg's API (or pligg/rigg/figg) to do something interesting with the
content that's already there.  That way you get both a showcase for
Grails and more total value for the community.

Best of luck!

-Matt

Re: Idea: Grails based open source project

Guillaume Laforge-2
Additionally, it'd be interesting to develop some new taglibs and
widgets for things like tag clouds, google maps mashups, dedicated
services wrapper for digg, delicious, and such, login / security
scaffolding.
With all these things, Grails could become a nice platform for
experimenting with Web 2.0 ideas and mashups.

On 6/4/07, Griffin, Matt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dmitry,
>
> Just something to think about:
> Digg (or your favorite web 2.0 site) isn't so much a piece of software
> as a community wrapped around a database.  To me, cloning reproduces the
> piece of the puzzle with the least value.  How about moving a step up
> the chain and creating an entirely new piece of software that uses
> Digg's API (or pligg/rigg/figg) to do something interesting with the
> content that's already there.  That way you get both a showcase for
> Grails and more total value for the community.
>
> Best of luck!
>
> -Matt

Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: Idea: Grails based open source project

JamesPage
Guillaume - I love that....

tag clouds, --> would love... In my experience there is scaling issues on using them with a relational db...
google maps --> for my current project I am using them allot... But it is quite allot of work to put them into a tag lib unless one was doing
pretty standard stuff. My current stuff uses allot of custom javascript... Maybe my project after I have to time to finish the cache project....

But it still would be nice to have a good grails demo app.

Which should be what base camp is to rails, Camelot is to Grails....

But what is
Camelot....

It should not be a me-too product.  But something original....

james

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: Idea: Grails based open source project

jnicho02
I agree with Guillaume......keep creating plugins that access various
Web2.0 services and Grails will be an excellent platform to build
exciting applications.

Re: Idea: Grails based open source project

Guillaume Laforge-2
However, of course, we need a demo application to showcase those things ;-)

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: Idea: Grails based open source project

JamesPage
I think Ben Hammersley built a "Ideas Repository" ages ago... .But what has happened to it I do not know....

Some ideas

1) How about a voting system for America.... Next year is the American election. The results effects us all, but we have no votes. How about a system that would record all our votes....

2) A system that allowed children in the developed world to make friends with children in the developing world. It would be done school by school so that there would be some form of security.... With the advent of One Lap Top Child it could become big... If anybody was interested I could try to get the endorsement of AfrIspa (The African ISP Association) that I do some work with and for.

3) A system that allowed towns/villages to communicate with each other. Again developed /developing world. Again I could ask AfrIspa for some kind of endorsement.

4) A system that scanned some of the government Western Travel Advisory sites (British Foreign Office, US State Department, Australian Department of Foreign Affairs), and warned you if an area became dangerous to travel in. It could alert you via twitter if something happened.

5) A system that scanned some of the more respectable news sites for Breaking News. Unlike google news that shows you everything. This site only shows you Breaking News and could alert you via twitter ...

6) A cms every framework needs its own CMS....

Just some ideas for starters... What do people think? All these ideas need fleshing out... What would give grails the most PR.... One of the reasons for the Africa bent is that software for Africa gets newspaper inches....

James

--

        */Raffaele CASTAGNO
/*/Logistica & Retail/
[...]

As stated by someone, the idea no.1 should be the repository itself.
I've put down some thoughts here:
http://grails.codehaus.org/Ideas+Repository

Raffaele

James Page wrote:

> [...]

Questo messaggio è rivolto unicamente al destinatario indicato e
potrebbe contenere informazioni riservate o confidenziali. Nel caso lo
avesse ricevuto per errore, ci scusiamo per l'inconveniente: lo segnali
cortesemente al mittente e distrugga subito l'originale. Ogni altro
utilizzo sarà considerato illegale. Tesi SpA non si assume alcuna
responsabilità per usi impropri di questo messaggio o di sue parti./

/This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain
privileged or confidential information. If you have received it in
error, we apologize for this: please notify the sender immediately and
delete the original. Any other use of the message is illegal. Tesi SpA
does not accept any liability for corruption, interception or damages,
if any, caused by unauthorized use of this message or parts./

Re: Idea: Grails based open source project

James,

those are great ideas! I particularly like 1, 4, 5. I would be interested to collaborate...

Dmitriy.

--

        */Raffaele CASTAGNO
/*/Logistica & Retail/
[...]

Lets put each one up for a vote. And go with the winner.... Number 1 is probably the simplest....

But I have to finish my cache plugin before I can work on any of ideas...

For ideas 4 and 5 there is somebody on the list who is working on getting data out of text.... I think at university in the UK.... I wonder if he/they could help...

james

[...]

Steven Devijver
Hey Raffaele,

Great initiative! Is there a way to enable comments on the wiki page?

Thanks

Steven

On 6/5/07, Raffaele Castagno <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> Questo messaggio è rivolto unicamente al destinatario indicato e
> potrebbe contenere informazioni riservate o confidenziali. Nel caso lo
> avesse ricevuto per errore, ci scusiamo per l'inconveniente: lo segnali
> cortesemente al mittente e distrugga subito l'originale. Ogni altro
> utilizzo sarà considerato illegale. Tesi SpA non si assume alcuna
> responsabilità per usi impropri di questo messaggio o di sue parti./
>
> /This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain
> privileged or confidential information. If you have received it in
> error, we apologize for this: please notify the sender immediately and
> delete the original. Any other use of the message is illegal. Tesi SpA
> does not accept any liability for corruption, interception or damages,
> if any, caused by unauthorized use of this message or parts./

Re: Idea: Grails based open source project

Don't know, but you can discuss about that here on the list, or
add/change the wiki page.

The problem is that I'm very very newbie about project startup/design,
so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Raffaele

Steven Devijver wrote:

> [...]

Questo messaggio è rivolto unicamente al destinatario indicato e
potrebbe contenere informazioni riservate o confidenziali. Nel caso lo
avesse ricevuto per errore, ci scusiamo per l'inconveniente: lo segnali
cortesemente al mittente e distrugga subito l'originale. Ogni altro
utilizzo sarà considerato illegale. Tesi SpA non si assume alcuna
responsabilità per usi impropri di questo messaggio o di sue parti./

/This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain
privileged or confidential information. If you have received it in
error, we apologize for this: please notify the sender immediately and
delete the original. Any other use of the message is illegal. Tesi SpA
does not accept any liability for corruption, interception or damages,
if any, caused by unauthorized use of this message or parts./

Re: Idea: Grails based open source project

helmut.denk
some cool, freaky web 2.x sample-apps would be great ... but

i believe that for the grails-success a middle-size
mainstream-sample-app would be of much more value at this
stage. could even be something like the good old petstore.

to get groovy&grails into banks, ensurances, trading-companys
... the simpler thing may be the better choice.

[it's dammned difficult to argue for groovy&grails in this
environments ]

RE: Idea: Grails based open source project

Griffin, Matt
Maybe it would make more sense if we dropped the phrase "web 2.0" and
simply spoke about integrating data from various sources.  The same
things that could make grails great for mashups could also make it great
enterprise glue.
-Matt

Re: Idea: Grails based open source project

Dmitriy Kopylenko-3
OK,

+1 for working (real world) software.
+1 for "Travel Advisory sites scanning/Breaking news scanning/Ideas Repository" projects (either or)

Dmitriy.

2007/6/5, James Page < [hidden email]>:
My belief that the more projects that are listed the better... The problem with Pet Stores is that they are just play software... The more working software that people  can see and use the better....

On 6/5/07, Griffin, Matt <[hidden email]> wrote:
Maybe it would make more sense if we dropped the phrase "web 2.0" and
simply spoke about integrating data from various sources.  The same
things that could make grails great for mashups could also make it great
enterprise glue.
-Matt

Re: Idea: Grails based open source project

Siegfried Puchbauer
My favourite candidate would be a CMS/Asset Managment solution (using the JCR plugin).

Some time ago, there was a discussion about a helpdesk software... That would be also very interesting IMO.

Cheers, sigi
123