Idea: Grails based open source project

123

Re: Idea: Grails based open source project

D T-2
I vote for a CMS.  But then, maybe the first open source app should be
to help us decide on what open source app we should develop.  ;D

- Daiji

Siegfried Puchbauer wrote:
> My favourite candidate would be a CMS/Asset Managment solution (using
> the JCR plugin).
>
> Some time ago, there was a discussion about a helpdesk software...
> That would be also very interesting IMO.
>
> Cheers, sigi

Re: Idea: Grails based open source project

Ricardo J. Méndez
I think an idea repository would be both a good example and useful.
If people are allowed to vote, the most wanted ideas would float to
the top, and people would have an extra incentive to work on them.

Here's another suggestion:  a code snippet / tutorial site that gets
votes based on usability, cleanliness, etc.  Allow people to do follow
ups to improve on the code.  Code moderation system based on karma,
which grows the more useful / relevant / unique their implementations
are judged to be.

Ricardo J. Méndez
http://ricardo.strangevistas.net/

Re: Idea: Grails based open source project

Dmitriy Kopylenko-3
So for starters, how about we create a Google code project and Google group (for Ideas Repository) for discussions of use cases, design, etc.?

Any clever and cool name for a project would be great too (anyone has any suggestions?)

Dmitriy.

2007/6/6, Ricardo J. Méndez <[hidden email]>:
I think an idea repository would be both a good example and useful.
If people are allowed to vote, the most wanted ideas would float to
the top, and people would have an extra incentive to work on them.

Here's another suggestion:  a code snippet / tutorial site that gets
votes based on usability, cleanliness, etc.  Allow people to do follow
ups to improve on the code.  Code moderation system based on karma,
which grows the more useful / relevant / unique their implementations
are judged to be.

Ricardo J. Méndez
http://ricardo.strangevistas.net/

Re: Idea: Grails based open source project

Raffaele Castagno-3
That seems gooood to me.

For the name, what about "Round Table"?
James Page proposed "Camelot" as the name for some showcase project for
grails, and it would be very nice to use names from arthurian legends
for projects created by "Grails Knights" to promote grails itself.

Let's create a brand!

Of course it would be nice if names fit well with the purpose of the
named project, and "round table" seems good for a site where people can
propose, share, discuss and vote ideas.

Who will create the discussion group?

Raffaele

--

        */Raffaele CASTAGNO
/*/Logistica & Retail/

/www.gruppotesi.com/

*TESI S.p.A.*
Sede Legale: Via Mendicita' Istruita, 24 - 12042 Bra (CN)
Sede Operativa: Via Savigliano, 48 - 12060 Loc. Roreto di Cherasco (CN)
Tel. 0172 476301 - Fax 0172 476399 - [hidden email]

/
Disclaimer
Questo messaggio è rivolto unicamente al destinatario indicato e
potrebbe contenere informazioni riservate o confidenziali. Nel caso lo
avesse ricevuto per errore, ci scusiamo per l'inconveniente: lo segnali
cortesemente al mittente e distrugga subito l'originale. Ogni altro
utilizzo sarà considerato illegale. Tesi SpA non si assume alcuna
responsabilità per usi impropri di questo messaggio o di sue parti./

/This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain
privileged or confidential information. If you have received it in
error, we apologize for this: please notify the sender immediately and
delete the original. Any other use of the message is illegal. Tesi SpA
does not accept any liability for corruption, interception or damages,
if any, caused by unauthorized use of this message or parts./

Re: Idea: Grails based open source project

JamesPage
I have just got an email asking me to create a CMS for a magazine. I would use Grails for it if there was more CMS type support out of the box. Would anybody else be willing to chip in to create an Open Source Grails CMS. CMS has been mentioned previousley as one of projects.

The advantages is that there would be a referance site up quite fast...

All the best

James

On 6/6/07, Raffaele Castagno <[hidden email]> wrote:
That seems gooood to me.

For the name, what about "Round Table"?

Why not Camelot...  It is King Arthurs castle....

/raffaele.castagno@ gruppotesi.com
[...]

hamishagain@dcs.shef.ac.uk
I'm developing something like a CMS system based on a wiki that uses SVN as a
back end. If that approach appeals then it might be possible to collaborate.

best

hamish

--
Prof. Hamish Cunningham
Department of Computer Science

James Page wrote:

> [...]
>     avesse ricevuto per errore, ci scusiamo per l'inconveniente: lo segnali
>     cortesemente al mittente e distrugga subito l'originale. Ogni altro
>     utilizzo sarà considerato illegale. Tesi SpA non si assume alcuna
>     responsabilità per usi impropri di questo messaggio o di sue parti./
>
>     /This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain
>     privileged or confidential information. If you have received it in
>     error, we apologize for this: please notify the sender immediately and
>     delete the original. Any other use of the message is illegal. Tesi SpA
>     does not accept any liability for corruption, interception or damages,
>     if any, caused by unauthorized use of this message or parts./

>         http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

--
Hamish
http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~hamish/

Re: Idea: Grails based open source project

Cool that sounds very interesting, and takes out one of the big decisions where to store the content..

Also if it allowed one to serve the content from the working copy I know of another project that may find it very interesting.

At what stage are you at the moment?

All the best

James

James Page wrote:

> [...]
>     potrebbe contenere informazioni riservate o confidenziali. Nel caso lo
>     avesse ricevuto per errore, ci scusiamo per l'inconveniente: lo segnali
>     cortesemente al mittente e distrugga subito l'originale. Ogni altro
>     utilizzo sarà considerato illegale. Tesi SpA non si assume alcuna
>     responsabilità per usi impropri di questo messaggio o di sue parti./
>
>     /This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain
>     privileged or confidential information. If you have received it in
>     error, we apologize for this: please notify the sender immediately and
>     delete the original. Any other use of the message is illegal. Tesi SpA
>     does not accept any liability for corruption, interception or damages,
>     if any, caused by unauthorized use of this message or parts./

--
Hamish

Re: Idea: Grails based open source project

helmut.denk
shouldnt be repository-store JCR API compliant (JSR 170)  ?

fairly good opensource-solutions are available. and they are developed
towards JSR 283.

-> http://jackrabbit.apache.org/

-> http://www.alfresco.com/

after thinking about it ... cms seems nice idea.

hcunningham wrote
I'm developing something like a CMS system based on a wiki that uses SVN as a
back end. If that approach appeals then it might be possible to collaborate.

best

hamish

Re: Idea: Grails based open source project

graemer
I started a Grails JCR plugin that uses JCR as alternative mapping for
hibernate in GORM I got as far as being able to save() and retrieve
objects and implemented dynamic finders. Instead of saving to a db it
stored in the JCR repo. I used JackRabbit to test. It is however, not
finished as I have to focus on Grails 1.0, but if someone wants to
pick it up and finish it for a CMS / ideas repo project then that
would be awesome

The plugin is here:
http://svn.grails-plugins.codehaus.org/browse/grails-plugins/grails-jcr

Example usages:

http://svn.grails-plugins.codehaus.org/browse/grails-plugins/grails-jcr/src/test/org/codehaus/groovy/grails/jcr/JcrGrailsPluginTests.groovy?r=24
and
http://svn.grails-plugins.codehaus.org/browse/grails-plugins/grails-jcr/src/test/org/codehaus/groovy/grails/jcr/JcrGrailsFinderQueryTests.groovy?r=24

The dynamic finders translated finder expressions into XPath instead
of hibernate criteria as they do in GORM

Cheers

http://grails.org

Re: Idea: Grails based open source project

hamishagain@dcs.shef.ac.uk
james

> At what stage are you at the moment?

as part of a project to make converting applications to SOAs easier
(http://gate.ac.uk/projects/tao/) we've built a controlled natural language
for authoring the schemas of knowledge bases that capture the semantics of our
open source site (http://gate.ac.uk;
http://gate.ac.uk/sale/lrec2006/clie/clie.pdf). we have the first version of a
wiki (with a parser written in javacc) that will embed the controlled
language, and the code (based on svnkit) that talks to the SVN repository.

next steps include authentication (probably acegi, which we use for a
different project), various facilities for uploading to SVN-based stores, and
converters from other formats that we use (JSPWiki, HTML so that we can offer
wsywig editing using bitflux etc., latex for good quality PDF)

best,
--
Hamish
http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~hamish/

Re: Idea: Grails based open source project

hamishagain@dcs.shef.ac.uk
JCR: all sorts of wonderfull things
SVN: proven to work
default algorithm: choose anything proven to work over everything else ;-)

"in computer science we love standards, that's why we have so many competing
ones..."

best

--
Hamish
http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~hamish/

Re: Idea: Grails based open source project

Siegfried Puchbauer
I would like to start up a cms project and take up your JCR plugin. Since I have access to the plugins svn ... Can I commit changes to the plugin directly or is this not wanted?

To the cms, this is what I had in sence:

Key features should be (IMHO):
  • Staging - distributed or single instance architecture
  • Workflow
  • Asset management (tagging, thumbnail preview of various formats)
  • Feature rich web 2.0 cms client
  • Inline Website authoring
  • Various interfaces (webdav, possibly cifs)
  • Extensible metadata engine
  • Full text search
What do others think about that?

Cheers, sigi

Siegfried Puchbauer

On 6/6/07, Siegfried Puchbauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would like to start up a cms project and take up your JCR plugin. Since I have access to the plugins svn ... Can I commit changes to the plugin directly or is this not wanted?

To the cms, this is what I had in sence:

Key features should be (IMHO):
  • Staging - distributed or single instance architecture

I prefer using a single instance , and then using Squid as a front end cache. This model has been used by Wikipedia, Zope/Plone to great effect. It greatly reduces the number of layers that need worrying about. I also have some experience in this, and of course that weighs in my judgment.

  • Workflow
  • Asset management (tagging, thumbnail preview of various formats)

I have a thumbnail routine. I will put it into a plugin. I create the thumbnail on file upload, as reducing a file image takes some time.

  • Feature rich web 2.0 cms client
  • Inline Website authoring
  • Various interfaces (webdav, possibly cifs)
  • Extensible metadata engine
  • Full text search

Would that not use the search plugin?

Siegfried Puchbauer

On 6/6/07, James Page <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 6/6/07, Siegfried Puchbauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would like to start up a cms project and take up your JCR plugin. Since I have access to the plugins svn ... Can I commit changes to the plugin directly or is this not wanted?

To the cms, this is what I had in sence:

Key features should be (IMHO):
  • Staging - distributed or single instance architecture

I prefer using a single instance , and then using Squid as a front end cache. This model has been used by Wikipedia, Zope/Plone to great effect. It greatly reduces the number of layers that need worrying about. I also have some experience in this, and of course that weighs in my judgment.

Multi Instance - Remote deployment is a need in an enterprise environment (Needed for failover/load balancing) but I would be happy with a single instance solution in the first run. But the option to do a remote deployment is really important IMO.

  • Workflow
  • Asset management (tagging, thumbnail preview of various formats)

I have a thumbnail routine. I will put it into a plugin. I create the thumbnail on file upload, as reducing a file image takes some time.

  • Feature rich web 2.0 cms client
  • Inline Website authoring
  • Various interfaces (webdav, possibly cifs)
  • Extensible metadata engine
  • Full text search

Would that not use the search plugin?

The search plugin uses compass and leverages a hibernate session listener which will make it not really useable when dealing with a JCR as backend. Jackrabbit ships with lucene as search engine (used for xpath/sql queries) and can be used in that manner. But CMS core feature should IMO be, to build search indices based on your needs.

Siegfried Puchbauer

Re: Idea: Grails based open source project

On 6/6/07, Siegfried Puchbauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would like to start up a cms project and take up your JCR plugin. Since I
> have access to the plugins svn ... Can I commit changes to the plugin
> directly or is this not wanted?

Sure commit away :-)

Cheers

http://grails.org

[...]

Using Global DNS and Squid enables one to have the failover/load balancing. A really good example of this is Wikipedia. See: http://www.aulinx.de/oss/code/wikipedia/  and http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cache_strategy

but I would be happy with a single instance solution in the first run.

great...

Siegfried Puchbauer

Re: Idea: Grails based open source project

JamesPage
Hamish,

would it be possiable to write the SVN as a plugin, and using the GORM methodology. I know SVN uses a hierarchical model and one may be getting into a confusing state of mapping between an Object / Relational/Hierarchical state but it would be great.

Having a SVN plugin would be great for any code management application as well as your wiki.

Also having the SVN plugin using the same methodology as the JSR then it gives one the option to switch to whichever is best for the job.

--
Hamish
http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~hamish/

Re: Idea: Grails based open source project

graemer
The JCR plug-ins does this and you can have a JCR impl that stores to SVN

Cheers

On 6/6/07, James Page <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hamish,
>
> would it be possiable to write the SVN as a plugin, and using the GORM
> methodology. I know SVN uses a hierarchical model and one may be getting
> into a confusing state of mapping between an Object /
> Relational/Hierarchical state but it would be great.
>
> Having a SVN plugin would be great for any code management application as
> well as your wiki.
>
> Also having the SVN plugin using the same methodology as the JSR then it
> gives one the option to switch to whichever is best for the job.
>
> All the best
>
> James
>
> On 6/6/07, Hamish Cunningham <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > JCR: all sorts of wonderfull things
> > SVN: proven to work
> > default algorithm: choose anything proven to work over everything else ;-)
> >
> > "in computer science we love standards, that's why we have so many
> competing
> > ones..."
> >
> > best

> > hdenk wrote:
> > > shouldnt be repository-store JCR API compliant (JSR 170)  ?
> > >
> > > fairly good opensource-solutions are available. and they are developed
> > > towards JSR 283.
> > >
> > > ->  http://jackrabbit.apache.org/ http://jackrabbit.apache.org/
> > >
> > > ->   http://www.alfresco.com/ http://www.alfresco.com/
> > >
> > > after thinking about it ... cms seems nice idea.

> SVN

> > --
> > Hamish
> > http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~hamish/

http://grails.org

Re: Idea: Grails based open source project

Dmitriy Kopylenko-3
Camelot works for me. I'll create a google group when I have a chance.

D.

Dmitriy Kopylenko wrote:

> So for starters, how about we create a Google code project and Google
> group (for Ideas Repository) for discussions of use cases, design, etc.?
>
> Any clever and cool name for a project would be great too (anyone has
> any suggestions?)
>
> Dmitriy.
>
> 2007/6/6, Ricardo J. Méndez <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     I think an idea repository would be both a good example and useful.
>     If people are allowed to vote, the most wanted ideas would float to
>     the top, and people would have an extra incentive to work on them.
>
>     Here's another suggestion:  a code snippet / tutorial site that gets
>     votes based on usability, cleanliness, etc.  Allow people to do follow
>     ups to improve on the code.  Code moderation system based on karma,
>     which grows the more useful / relevant / unique their implementations
>     are judged to be.
>
>     Ricardo J. Méndez
>     http://ricardo.strangevistas.net/

>         http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

--

        */Raffaele CASTAGNO
/*/Logistica & Retail/
/raffaele.castagno@ gruppotesi.com
<mailto:[hidden email]>/

/www.gruppotesi.com/

*TESI S.p.A.*
Sede Legale: Via Mendicita' Istruita, 24 - 12042 Bra (CN)
Sede Operativa: Via Savigliano, 48 - 12060 Loc. Roreto di Cherasco (CN)
Tel. 0172 476301 - Fax 0172 476399 - [hidden email]

/
Disclaimer
Questo messaggio è rivolto unicamente al destinatario indicato e
potrebbe contenere informazioni riservate o confidenziali. Nel caso lo
avesse ricevuto per errore, ci scusiamo per l'inconveniente: lo segnali
cortesemente al mittente e distrugga subito l'originale. Ogni altro
utilizzo sarà considerato illegale. Tesi SpA non si assume alcuna
responsabilità per usi impropri di questo messaggio o di sue parti./

/This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain
privileged or confidential information. If you have received it in
error, we apologize for this: please notify the sender immediately and
delete the original. Any other use of the message is illegal. Tesi SpA
does not accept any liability for corruption, interception or damages,
if any, caused by unauthorized use of this message or parts./

Re: Idea: Grails based open source project

JamesPage
I have just suggested Pendragon -- King Arther surname....