Jquery over Prototype, Wouldnt Grails switch over?

Jquery over Prototype, Wouldnt Grails switch over?

fernando da Motta hildebrand
I've been doing some research on javascript libs, and here's what I found out:

1 - Dojo is huge, has many, many features, and it's buggy.
2 - Prototype/Scriptaculous has lost it's mojo.
3 - Jquey is really great, has a lot of mojo and community going on, and I still haven't found a plugin for anything I need. It's great!

Why Grails don't switch from prototype to Jquery as the official javascript lib?
Can anyone in the list deliver this message to the developers?

I trully believe it would be a great enhancement!!!

--
Fernando da Motta Hildebrand
IT Consultant
 Brooks' Law : "adding manpower to a late software project makes it later..."

Re: Jquery over Prototype, Wouldnt Grails switch over?

Graeme Rocher
Administrator
It is under consideration for Grails 2.0

http://www.springsource.com

Re: Jquery over Prototype, Wouldnt Grails switch over?

fernando da Motta hildebrand
Wow... That would be great! But why wait to 2.0? The sooner the better, I think.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've been doing some research on javascript libs, and here's what I found
> out:
>
> 1 - Dojo is huge, has many, many features, and it's buggy.
> 2 - Prototype/Scriptaculous has lost it's mojo.
> 3 - Jquey is really great, has a lot of mojo and community going on, and I
> still haven't found a plugin for anything I need. It's great!
>
> Why Grails don't switch from prototype to Jquery as the official javascript
> lib?
> Can anyone in the list deliver this message to the developers?
>
> I trully believe it would be a great enhancement!!!
>
> --
> Fernando da Motta Hildebrand
> IT Consultant
>  Brooks' Law : "adding manpower to a late software project makes it
> later..."

http://www.springsource.com

Fernando da Motta Hildebrand
IT Consultant
 Brooks' Law : "adding manpower to a late software project makes it later..."

Re: Jquery over Prototype, Wouldnt Grails switch over?

mamue
fernando da Motta hildebrand wrote

2010/8/4 Graeme Rocher <grocher@vmware.com>

> It is under consideration for Grails 2.0
>
> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Fernando da Motta Hildebrand
> <fernandohildebrand@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've been doing some research on javascript libs, and here's what I found
> > out:
> >
> > 1 - Dojo is huge, has many, many features, and it's buggy.
> > 2 - Prototype/Scriptaculous has lost it's mojo.
> > 3 - Jquey is really great, has a lot of mojo and community going on, and
> > still haven't found a plugin for anything I need. It's great!
> >
> > Why Grails don't switch from prototype to Jquery as the official
> javascript
> > lib?
> > Can anyone in the list deliver this message to the developers?
> >
> > I trully believe it would be a great enhancement!!!
> >
> > --
> > Fernando da Motta Hildebrand
> > IT Consultant
> >  Brooks' Law : "adding manpower to a late software project makes it
> > later..."
> >

> --
> Graeme Rocher
> Grails Project Lead
> SpringSource - A Division of VMware
> http://www.springsource.com

Fernando da Motta Hildebrand
IT Consultant
 Brooks' Law : "adding manpower to a late software project makes it
later..."
+ 1

Re: Jquery over Prototype, Wouldnt Grails switch over?

rstudner
One, other, small motivator for the "official switch" is that the jquery plugin (and its unaffiliated jquery ui plugin).. they seem to break, or have quirks, just about every release.

Famous one:

jquery-1.4.x.min.js vs 1.4.x-min.js

All of this is well and good if people go "hacking".. but it scares early adopters trying to convince their work to go for it! hah

Roger

On Aug 4, 2010, at 6:35 AM, mamue wrote:

> fernando da Motta hildebrand wrote:
>>
>> Wow... That would be great! But why wait to 2.0? The sooner the better, I
>> think.
>>
>> 2010/8/4 Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> It is under consideration for Grails 2.0

>>> found

>>> and

>>> javascript

>>> --
>>> Graeme Rocher
>>> Grails Project Lead
>>> SpringSource - A Division of VMware
>>> http://www.springsource.com

>>>   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>>>

>> --
>> Fernando da Motta Hildebrand
>> IT Consultant
>> Brooks' Law : "adding manpower to a late software project makes it
>> later..."
>>

> + 1

Re: Jquery over Prototype, Wouldnt Grails switch over?

Graeme Rocher
Administrator
On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Fernando da Motta Hildebrand
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Wow... That would be great! But why wait to 2.0? The sooner the better, I
> think.

Because switching the underlying javascript library used by default is
a breaking change now possible without a major version change

> 2010/8/4 Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]>
>>
>> It is under consideration for Grails 2.0
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Fernando da Motta Hildebrand
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I've been doing some research on javascript libs, and here's what I
>> > found
>> > out:
>> >
>> > 1 - Dojo is huge, has many, many features, and it's buggy.
>> > 2 - Prototype/Scriptaculous has lost it's mojo.
>> > 3 - Jquey is really great, has a lot of mojo and community going on, and
>> > still haven't found a plugin for anything I need. It's great!
>> >
>> > Why Grails don't switch from prototype to Jquery as the official
>> > javascript
>> > lib?
>> > Can anyone in the list deliver this message to the developers?
>> >
>> > I trully believe it would be a great enhancement!!!
>> >
>> > --
>> > Fernando da Motta Hildebrand
>> > IT Consultant
>> >  Brooks' Law : "adding manpower to a late software project makes it
>> > later..."
>> >

>> --
>> Graeme Rocher
>> Grails Project Lead
>> SpringSource - A Division of VMware
>> http://www.springsource.com

> Fernando da Motta Hildebrand
> IT Consultant
>  Brooks' Law : "adding manpower to a late software project makes it
> later..."

http://www.springsource.com

Re: Jquery over Prototype, Wouldnt Grails switch over?

Dean Del Ponte-2
+1 for making jQuery the default JavaScript library.

jQuery seems to have more uptake than Prototype.  Prototype was great  years ago, but now seems a bit dated.

- Dean Del Ponte

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Wow... That would be great! But why wait to 2.0? The sooner the better, I
> think.

Because switching the underlying javascript library used by default is
a breaking change now possible without a major version change

> 2010/8/4 Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]>
>>
>> It is under consideration for Grails 2.0
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Fernando da Motta Hildebrand
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I've been doing some research on javascript libs, and here's what I
>> > found
>> > out:
>> >
>> > 1 - Dojo is huge, has many, many features, and it's buggy.
>> > 2 - Prototype/Scriptaculous has lost it's mojo.
>> > 3 - Jquey is really great, has a lot of mojo and community going on, and
>> > still haven't found a plugin for anything I need. It's great!
>> >
>> > Why Grails don't switch from prototype to Jquery as the official
>> > javascript
>> > lib?
>> > Can anyone in the list deliver this message to the developers?
>> >
>> > I trully believe it would be a great enhancement!!!
>> >
>> > --
>> > Fernando da Motta Hildebrand
>> > IT Consultant
>> >  Brooks' Law : "adding manpower to a late software project makes it
>> > later..."
>> >

>> --
>> Graeme Rocher
>> Grails Project Lead
>> SpringSource - A Division of VMware
>> http://www.springsource.com

> Fernando da Motta Hildebrand
> IT Consultant
>  Brooks' Law : "adding manpower to a late software project makes it
> later..."

http://www.springsource.com

Re: Jquery over Prototype, Wouldnt Grails switch over?

Daniel Honig
Sure. But it should still be possible to offer a backwards compatibility mode. Though a clean break might be where the biggest win can be found.

http://www.springsource.com

Re: Jquery over Prototype, Wouldnt Grails switch over?

Dean Del Ponte-2
My guess is that you would still be able to use prototype, you would just need to install the yet to be created "prototype plugin"

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've been doing some research on javascript libs, and here's what I found
> out:
>
> 1 - Dojo is huge, has many, many features, and it's buggy.
> 2 - Prototype/Scriptaculous has lost it's mojo.
> 3 - Jquey is really great, has a lot of mojo and community going on, and I
> still haven't found a plugin for anything I need. It's great!
>
> Why Grails don't switch from prototype to Jquery as the official javascript
> lib?
> Can anyone in the list deliver this message to the developers?
>
> I trully believe it would be a great enhancement!!!
>
> --
> Fernando da Motta Hildebrand
> IT Consultant
>  Brooks' Law : "adding manpower to a late software project makes it
> later..."

http://www.springsource.com

Re: Jquery over Prototype, Wouldnt Grails switch over?

Tính Trương Xuân
+1 for jQuery as the default javascript library in Grails. I'm now using jQuery plugin just to replace all the prototype stuff in my grails project.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've been doing some research on javascript libs, and here's what I found
> out:
>
> 1 - Dojo is huge, has many, many features, and it's buggy.
> 2 - Prototype/Scriptaculous has lost it's mojo.
> 3 - Jquey is really great, has a lot of mojo and community going on, and I
> still haven't found a plugin for anything I need. It's great!
>
> Why Grails don't switch from prototype to Jquery as the official javascript
> lib?
> Can anyone in the list deliver this message to the developers?
>
> I trully believe it would be a great enhancement!!!
>
> --
> Fernando da Motta Hildebrand
> IT Consultant
>  Brooks' Law : "adding manpower to a late software project makes it
> later..."

http://www.springsource.com

Re: Jquery over Prototype, Wouldnt Grails switch over?

ld@ldaley.com
Why does Grails need a default or official javascript library?

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've been doing some research on javascript libs, and here's what I found
> out:
>
> 1 - Dojo is huge, has many, many features, and it's buggy.
> 2 - Prototype/Scriptaculous has lost it's mojo.
> 3 - Jquey is really great, has a lot of mojo and community going on, and I
> still haven't found a plugin for anything I need. It's great!
>
> Why Grails don't switch from prototype to Jquery as the official javascript
> lib?
> Can anyone in the list deliver this message to the developers?
>
> I trully believe it would be a great enhancement!!!
>
> --
> Fernando da Motta Hildebrand
> IT Consultant
>  Brooks' Law : "adding manpower to a late software project makes it
> later..."

http://www.springsource.com

Re: Jquery over Prototype, Wouldnt Grails switch over?

lucastex
I agree it shouldn't officially hate or love any, but since some core tags need js libs to work (mainly ajax ones), one shall be installed...

Lucas Frare Teixeira .·.
- [hidden email]
- lucastex.com.br
- blog.lucastex.com
- twitter.com/lucastex

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've been doing some research on javascript libs, and here's what I found
> out:
>
> 1 - Dojo is huge, has many, many features, and it's buggy.
> 2 - Prototype/Scriptaculous has lost it's mojo.
> 3 - Jquey is really great, has a lot of mojo and community going on, and I
> still haven't found a plugin for anything I need. It's great!
>
> Why Grails don't switch from prototype to Jquery as the official javascript
> lib?
> Can anyone in the list deliver this message to the developers?
>
> I trully believe it would be a great enhancement!!!
>
> --
> Fernando da Motta Hildebrand
> IT Consultant
>  Brooks' Law : "adding manpower to a late software project makes it
> later..."

http://www.springsource.com

Re: Jquery over Prototype, Wouldnt Grails switch over?

niclupien
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Jquery over Prototype, Wouldnt Grails switch over?

Jason Davis
+1 for JQuery and JQuery UI to come by default :D

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 10:29 PM, Nicolas Lupien <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> Nicolas Lupien
>

> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 11:09 PM, Lucas F. A. Teixeira <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> I agree it shouldn't officially hate or love any, but since some core tags
>> need js libs to work (mainly ajax ones), one shall be installed...
>>

>> Lucas Frare Teixeira .·.
>> - [hidden email]
>> - lucastex.com.br
>> - blog.lucastex.com
>> - twitter.com/lucastex
>>

>> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 12:06 AM, Luke Daley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Why does Grails need a default or official javascript library?
>>> On 05/08/2010, at 12:44 PM, Tính Trương Xuân wrote:
>>>
>>> +1 for jQuery as the default javascript library in Grails. I'm now using
>>> jQuery plugin just to replace all the prototype stuff in my grails project.

Re: Jquery over Prototype, Wouldnt Grails switch over?

Giancarlo Angulo
+1 to JQuery as Default
=====
angol
=====

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Jason Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 for JQuery and JQuery UI to come by default :D

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 10:29 PM, Nicolas Lupien <[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1
>
> Nicolas Lupien
>

> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 11:09 PM, Lucas F. A. Teixeira <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> I agree it shouldn't officially hate or love any, but since some core tags
>> need js libs to work (mainly ajax ones), one shall be installed...
>>

>> Lucas Frare Teixeira .·.
>> - [hidden email]
>> - lucastex.com.br
>> - blog.lucastex.com
>> - twitter.com/lucastex
>>

>> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 12:06 AM, Luke Daley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Why does Grails need a default or official javascript library?
>>> On 05/08/2010, at 12:44 PM, Tính Trương Xuân wrote:
>>>
>>> +1 for jQuery as the default javascript library in Grails. I'm now using
>>> jQuery plugin just to replace all the prototype stuff in my grails project.

Re: Jquery over Prototype, Wouldnt Grails switch over?

amitksrivas
I agree with Lucas. There are other toolkits in market also which needs grails community equal attention.

Re: Jquery over Prototype, Wouldnt Grails switch over?

aeischeid
+1 for jquery, but...

I'd vote for grails not having a js library by default. let developers choose. Maybe in the short term make a the prototype plugin that is installed by default, and is easily removed.

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 2:47 AM, amitksrivas <[hidden email]> wrote:

I agree with Lucas. There are other toolkits in market also which needs
grails community equal attention.

Re: Jquery over Prototype, Wouldnt Grails switch over?

Tom Gullo
+1

After creating a new Grails app, the second thing I do is add the JQuery library.

Re: Jquery over Prototype, Wouldnt Grails switch over?

mr.dustmite
I agree, JQuery should become the default. The JQuery plug-in is nice, but we could do without having to take the extra step on each project.