Lightweight Rules engine for Grails

Grailearner
Hi,
     I have a questionnaire in my application in Grails. The questionnaire is dynamic in the sense that the admin can add/edit/delete questions and assign answers/choices to a question.
Now i have a requirement to create rules for the answers given.

Eg:-

Q-1. When did you last donate blood?
A1. Not in a year
A2. Before 6 months
A3. In Last 3 months

An example of a rule would be that if the answer A3 was chosen for the question Q-1, then mark the donor as "Ineligible" for donation.
I would request suggestions/advice as to the best way to implement this.

Regards
Grailearner

Re: Lightweight Rules engine for Grails

bobbywarner
If you need a Rules Engine, take a look at Drools -- http://www.jboss.org/drools

I haven't used Drools in a Grails project yet, but rather just in a regular Java project though.  It looks like there is a plugin for it (http://grails.org/plugin/drools), but it hasn't been updated in awhile.

Hope that helps!
Bobby

Re: Lightweight Rules engine for Grails

Grailearner
Thanks Bobby.
I have not used Drools before.
Wondering if it can cater to the dynamic nature of my requirement.
Meaning when the admin adds a question and related answers to the questionnaire, he should be able to specify a rule for that question.

Re: Lightweight Rules engine for Grails

Bill Stephens
Grailerner,

I asked this quite a while ago. I was pointed at One Ring: http://nerderg.com/One+Ring

Bill

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 3:34 AM, Grailearner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Bobby.
I have not used Drools before.
Wondering if it can cater to the dynamic nature of my requirement.
Meaning when the admin adds a question and related answers to the
questionnaire, he should be able to specify a rule for that question.

Re: Lightweight Rules engine for Grails

Grailearner
Hello Bill,
It looks promising.
Did you end up using it?
If yes, how was your experience?
If no, how did you manage your scenario?

Regards
Grailearner

Re: Lightweight Rules engine for Grails

mickdavis

I have not tried it yet but the rules engine that I have been wanted to try is OpenL Tablet.  http://openl-tablets.sourceforge.net/

It's table based and is supposed to be business user friendly.

Mick

On Jan 20, 2012 5:55 AM, "Grailearner" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Bill,
It looks promising.
Did you end up using it?
If yes, how was your experience?
If no, how did you manage your scenario?

Regards
Grailearner

Re: Lightweight Rules engine for Grails

Grailearner
This looks good too.
I did not know there were these many options.
Anyone to have used openL or One Ring????