12

pledbrook
Hi,

I have just committed a change that means you can configure a project
to load plugins from explicitly declared directories. This helps in a
couple of scenarios. Say you're developing a plugin and want to run
some functional tests. You might have several projects for this, all
configured differently. You used to have to package the plugin and
then install it into these projects before you could run the
functional tests - a real pain in the backside.

No, you can add this option to the project's BuildConfig.groovy file
(using JSecurity as an example):

  grails.plugin.location.jsecurity = ".../dev/projects/grails-jsecurity"

You can have as many of these entries as you want. In this case, the
project will load the JSecurity plugin from your development
directory.

The other scenario I was alluding to is when you break an application
into several plugins, with a directory structure like this:

  - pluginA
  - pluginB
  - pluginC
  - myApp

In myApp's BuildConfig.groovy, just add:

  grails.plugin.location.pluginA = "../pluginA"
  grails.plugin.location.pluginB = "../pluginB"
  grails.plugin.location.pluginC = "../pluginC"

One issue is that Grails uses the "plugin.xml"  for something things,
but that only gets generated when you package a plugin. Graeme may be
able to infer what kind of impact that has, but I think you only have
to re-package the plugin if you add or remove resources.

One final thing: the syntax is not set in stone, so if people think it
makes more sense to go for a single "grails.plugin.locations" option
that takes a list, then raise your hand!

Cheers,

Peter

Re: Loading plugins from explicit locations

Graeme Rocher-3
Awesome work Peter! About plugin.xml, I think we need to consider how
to generate it automatically for inline plugins like this. Otherwise
we haven't really removed the package-plugin step :-(

Cheers

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 8:15 AM, Peter Ledbrook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just committed a change that means you can configure a project
> to load plugins from explicitly declared directories. This helps in a
> couple of scenarios. Say you're developing a plugin and want to run
> some functional tests. You might have several projects for this, all
> configured differently. You used to have to package the plugin and
> then install it into these projects before you could run the
> functional tests - a real pain in the backside.
>
> No, you can add this option to the project's BuildConfig.groovy file
> (using JSecurity as an example):
>
>  grails.plugin.location.jsecurity = ".../dev/projects/grails-jsecurity"
>
> You can have as many of these entries as you want. In this case, the
> project will load the JSecurity plugin from your development
> directory.
>
> The other scenario I was alluding to is when you break an application
> into several plugins, with a directory structure like this:
>
>  - pluginA
>  - pluginB
>  - pluginC
>  - myApp
>
> In myApp's BuildConfig.groovy, just add:
>
>  grails.plugin.location.pluginA = "../pluginA"
>  grails.plugin.location.pluginB = "../pluginB"
>  grails.plugin.location.pluginC = "../pluginC"
>
> One issue is that Grails uses the "plugin.xml"  for something things,
> but that only gets generated when you package a plugin. Graeme may be
> able to infer what kind of impact that has, but I think you only have
> to re-package the plugin if you add or remove resources.
>
> One final thing: the syntax is not set in stone, so if people think it
> makes more sense to go for a single "grails.plugin.locations" option
> that takes a list, then raise your hand!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter

Head of Grails Development
SpringSource - Weapons for the War on Java Complexity
http://www.springsource.com

Re: Loading plugins from explicit locations

pledbrook
> Awesome work Peter! About plugin.xml, I think we need to consider how
> to generate it automatically for inline plugins like this. Otherwise
> we haven't really removed the package-plugin step :-(

Could we make it part of the "compile" target? It would mean that
referring projects wouldn't be using the latest plugin.xml unless you
had run "grails compile" or some other command in the plugin directory
first, but that's a fairly cheap step. I imagine trying to get the
referring project to do it would be a pain at the very least.

In other words:

   1. Make some changes to the plugin
   2. grails compile/test-app/run-app in the plugin folder
   3. Run or package application

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Peter Ledbrook <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Awesome work Peter! About plugin.xml, I think we need to consider how
>> to generate it automatically for inline plugins like this. Otherwise
>> we haven't really removed the package-plugin step :-(
>
> Could we make it part of the "compile" target? It would mean that
> referring projects wouldn't be using the latest plugin.xml unless you
> had run "grails compile" or some other command in the plugin directory
> first, but that's a fairly cheap step. I imagine trying to get the
> referring project to do it would be a pain at the very least.
>
> In other words:
>
>   1. Make some changes to the plugin
>   2. grails compile/test-app/run-app in the plugin folder
>   3. Run or package application

Can we not eliminate step 2?

Cheers

> Cheers,
>
> Peter

Head of Grails Development
SpringSource - Weapons for the War on Java Complexity
http://www.springsource.com

Re: Loading plugins from explicit locations

Glenn Saqui-3
Hey Peter,

This is great stuff thanks.  Any idea when we might have another grails meet up?

Glenn

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Peter Ledbrook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Awesome work Peter! About plugin.xml, I think we need to consider how
>> to generate it automatically for inline plugins like this. Otherwise
>> we haven't really removed the package-plugin step :-(
>
> Could we make it part of the "compile" target? It would mean that
> referring projects wouldn't be using the latest plugin.xml unless you
> had run "grails compile" or some other command in the plugin directory
> first, but that's a fairly cheap step. I imagine trying to get the
> referring project to do it would be a pain at the very least.
>
> In other words:
>
>   1. Make some changes to the plugin
>   2. grails compile/test-app/run-app in the plugin folder
>   3. Run or package application

Can we not eliminate step 2?

Cheers

> Cheers,
>
> Peter

Head of Grails Development
SpringSource - Weapons for the War on Java Complexity
http://www.springsource.com

Re: Loading plugins from explicit locations

pledbrook
> This is great stuff thanks.  Any idea when we might have another grails meet
> up?

I don't know, sorry. I'm swamped until mid-February, but if nothing
has happened before then, I'll knock some heads together :)

Cheers,

Peter

Re: Loading plugins from explicit locations

contact
Peter,

This sounds great.  We've actually done something similar to refer to
local plugins for development where we modified the PackagePlugins
script compile plugins and follow a transitive dependency tree.  It
also used ant to check for any file changes in the plugin directories
whenever "package" was called from a project that relied on local
plugins.

With this method, will the _Install.groovy script of the plugin still
be executed somehow?  That was one of the big things that forced us to
actually package an install the plugin.

An example would be a plugin that we have that has all of our domain
objects in it.  It also has the master data source file in it that we
copy into place during the _install of a plugin.

What we've been using had a few customizations to it that wouldn't
make sense for a larger community so we hadn't released it yet.

I'm looking forward to getting rid of our home brewed approach and
into using something supported in grails core.

-Ted

On Jan 16, 2009, at 2:15 AM, Peter Ledbrook wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just committed a change that means you can configure a project
> to load plugins from explicitly declared directories. This helps in a
> couple of scenarios. Say you're developing a plugin and want to run
> some functional tests. You might have several projects for this, all
> configured differently. You used to have to package the plugin and
> then install it into these projects before you could run the
> functional tests - a real pain in the backside.
>
> No, you can add this option to the project's BuildConfig.groovy file
> (using JSecurity as an example):
>
>  grails.plugin.location.jsecurity = ".../dev/projects/grails-
> jsecurity"
>
> You can have as many of these entries as you want. In this case, the
> project will load the JSecurity plugin from your development
> directory.
>
> The other scenario I was alluding to is when you break an application
> into several plugins, with a directory structure like this:
>
>  - pluginA
>  - pluginB
>  - pluginC
>  - myApp
>
> In myApp's BuildConfig.groovy, just add:
>
>  grails.plugin.location.pluginA = "../pluginA"
>  grails.plugin.location.pluginB = "../pluginB"
>  grails.plugin.location.pluginC = "../pluginC"
>
> One issue is that Grails uses the "plugin.xml"  for something things,
> but that only gets generated when you package a plugin. Graeme may be
> able to infer what kind of impact that has, but I think you only have
> to re-package the plugin if you add or remove resources.
>
> One final thing: the syntax is not set in stone, so if people think it
> makes more sense to go for a single "grails.plugin.locations" option
> that takes a list, then raise your hand!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter

Re: Loading plugins from explicit locations

pledbrook
> One issue is that Grails uses the "plugin.xml"  for something things,
> but that only gets generated when you package a plugin. Graeme may be
> able to infer what kind of impact that has, but I think you only have
> to re-package the plugin if you add or remove resources.

Recent changes mean you don't have to worry about this at all. Grails
will make sure that the "plugin.xml" file is up-to-date behind the
scenes, so you don't need to manually compile the plugin or package
it.

Cheers,

Peter

Re: Loading plugins from explicit locations

pledbrook
> With this method, will the _Install.groovy script of the plugin still be
> executed somehow?  That was one of the big things that forced us to actually
> package an install the plugin.

No, the current approach bypasses the "install" script because the
plugin acts as if it has already been installed. If you have your
project set up with the plugins as sub-projects, then you probably
need to consider loading some of these things directly from the app. I
don't think installation is the right approach to take.

I'm certainly open to suggestions, though.

On Jan 16, 2009, at 1:46 PM, Peter Ledbrook wrote:

>> With this method, will the _Install.groovy script of the plugin
>> still be
>> executed somehow?  That was one of the big things that forced us to
>> actually
>> package an install the plugin.
>
> No, the current approach bypasses the "install" script because the
> plugin acts as if it has already been installed. If you have your
> project set up with the plugins as sub-projects, then you probably
> need to consider loading some of these things directly from the app. I
> don't think installation is the right approach to take.
>
> I'm certainly open to suggestions, though.

I think that for our project, we'd be able to accomplish the same
thing another way.  I'm not sure how other people are using
_Install.groovy though, but it might be worth noting that this is a
limitation of this method.

Thanks,
Ted

Re: [grails-dev] Loading plugins from explicit locations

basejump (Josh)
Can we have something along the lines of.
Is this what you mean by a single "grails.plugin.locations" option
that takes a list?
plugins{
        locations{
                default="../plugins" //default location for all the plugins
                pluginC="../ftests/pluginC"
                pluginA="../ftests/pluginA"

On Jan 16, 2009, at 2:15 AM, Peter Ledbrook wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just committed a change that means you can configure a project
> to load plugins from explicitly declared directories. This helps in a
> couple of scenarios. Say you're developing a plugin and want to run
> some functional tests. You might have several projects for this, all
> configured differently. You used to have to package the plugin and
> then install it into these projects before you could run the
> functional tests - a real pain in the backside.
>
> No, you can add this option to the project's BuildConfig.groovy file
> (using JSecurity as an example):
>
>  grails.plugin.location.jsecurity = ".../dev/projects/grails-
> jsecurity"
>
> You can have as many of these entries as you want. In this case, the
> project will load the JSecurity plugin from your development
> directory.
>
> The other scenario I was alluding to is when you break an application
> into several plugins, with a directory structure like this:
>
>  - pluginA
>  - pluginB
>  - pluginC
>  - myApp
>
> In myApp's BuildConfig.groovy, just add:
>
>  grails.plugin.location.pluginA = "../pluginA"
>  grails.plugin.location.pluginB = "../pluginB"
>  grails.plugin.location.pluginC = "../pluginC"
>
> One issue is that Grails uses the "plugin.xml"  for something things,
> but that only gets generated when you package a plugin. Graeme may be
> able to infer what kind of impact that has, but I think you only have
> to re-package the plugin if you add or remove resources.
>
> One final thing: the syntax is not set in stone, so if people think it
> makes more sense to go for a single "grails.plugin.locations" option
> that takes a list, then raise your hand!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter

Re: Re: [grails-dev] Loading plugins from explicit locations

pledbrook
> Is this what you mean by a single "grails.plugin.locations" option that
> takes a list?
> plugins{
>        locations{
>                default="../plugins" //default location for all the plugins
>                pluginC="../ftests/pluginC"
>                pluginA="../ftests/pluginA"
>        }
> }

Nope. I meant:

  grails.plugin.locations = [ "../ftests/pluginC", "../ftests/pluginA" ]

However, as someone mentioned on another thread, it can be useful to
set these properties in a ".properties" file, which rules out the list
idea. The syntax you have shown is possible with the current
implementation.

Cheers,

Peter

Re: Re: [grails-dev] Loading plugins from explicit locations

basejump (Josh)
I did not see how to set a default and then "override" location with
the current implementation.
Did I miss that? Is there a "default" setting in your new
implementation?

On Jan 20, 2009, at 9:38 AM, Peter Ledbrook wrote:

>> Is this what you mean by a single "grails.plugin.locations" option
>> that
>> takes a list?
>> plugins{
>>       locations{
>>               default="../plugins" //default location for all the
>> plugins
>>               pluginC="../ftests/pluginC"
>>               pluginA="../ftests/pluginA"
>>       }
>> }
>
> Nope. I meant:
>
>  grails.plugin.locations = [ "../ftests/pluginC", "../ftests/
> pluginA" ]
>
> However, as someone mentioned on another thread, it can be useful to
> set these properties in a ".properties" file, which rules out the list
> idea. The syntax you have shown is possible with the current
> implementation.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter

Re: [grails-dev] Re: [grails-user] Re: [grails-dev] Loading plugins from explicit locations

pledbrook
> I did not see how to set a default and then "override" location with the
> current implementation.
> Did I miss that? Is there a "default" setting in your new implementation?

The default location for plugins can be overridden by the
"grails.plugins.dir" property. Maybe this should be merged into the
new setting. I guess "grails.plugins.dir" isn't in widespread use yet,
so we could probably change it if people think that makes sense.

Cheers,

Peter

Re: Re: [grails-dev] Re: [grails-user] Re: [grails-dev] Loading plugins from explicit locations

Eric Martineau
I set up the following three grails projects:

/trunk/base/grails-app/...
/trunk/plugins/falconeCore/grails-app/
/trunk/plugins/falconeUtil/grails-app/

Then, in the "base" grails app I added the following to BuildConfig.groovy:
grails.plugin.location.falconeUtil = "../plugins/falconeUtil"

When I attempt to run the project, I get this error:

Environment set to development
  [groovyc] Compiling 9 source files to /home/eric/.grails/1.1-SNAPSHOT/projects/base/classes
  [groovyc] org.codehaus.groovy.control.MultipleCompilationErrorsException: startup failed, /home/eric/all/falcone/trunk/plugins/falconeUtil/grails-app/conf/DataSource.groovy: -1: Invalid duplicate class definition of class DataSource : The sources /home/eric/all/falcone/trunk/plugins/falconeUtil/grails-app/conf/DataSource.groovy and /home/eric/all/falcone/trunk/base/grails-app/conf/DataSource.groovy are containing both a class of the name DataSource.
  [groovyc]  @ line -1, column -1./home/eric/all/falcone/trunk/plugins/falconeUtil/grails-app/conf/UrlMappings.groovy: 1: Invalid duplicate class definition of class UrlMappings : The sources /home/eric/all/falcone/trunk/plugins/falconeUtil/grails-app/conf/UrlMappings.groovy and /home/eric/all/falcone/trunk/base/grails-app/conf/UrlMappings.groovy are containing both a class of the name UrlMappings.
  [groovyc]  @ line 1, column 1.
  [groovyc]    class UrlMappings {
  [groovyc]    ^
  [groovyc]
  [groovyc] 2 errors
Compilation error: Compilation Failed

Makes sense, because they both have the class UrlMappings...  I noticed that when the plugin is packaged, UrlMappings is not included in the zip file -- so should plugin projects NOT have a UrlMappings.groovy, resources.groovy, DataSource.groovy, etc?  My intuition tells me to just delete em, but I thought I'd check first.

If the answer is yes (delete em), it begs the question:  What files can/should be removed from a plugin project?

Thanks for the great work - looks very promising!

Eric

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 9:10 AM, Peter Ledbrook <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I did not see how to set a default and then "override" location with the
> current implementation.
> Did I miss that? Is there a "default" setting in your new implementation?

The default location for plugins can be overridden by the
"grails.plugins.dir" property. Maybe this should be merged into the
new setting. I guess "grails.plugins.dir" isn't in widespread use yet,
so we could probably change it if people think that makes sense.

Cheers,

Peter

Re: Re: [grails-dev] Re: [grails-user] Re: [grails-dev] Loading plugins from explicit locations

pledbrook
> Makes sense, because they both have the class UrlMappings...  I noticed that
> when the plugin is packaged, UrlMappings is not included in the zip file --
> so should plugin projects NOT have a UrlMappings.groovy, resources.groovy,
> DataSource.groovy, etc?  My intuition tells me to just delete em, but I
> thought I'd check first.

Ouch - I hadn't thought of that.  I'll look into it. It may be
possible to exclude them from the compilation step.

> If the answer is yes (delete em), it begs the question:  What files
> can/should be removed from a plugin project?

They are only used if you run the plugin as an application - not
something that I do generally. I prefer to have a separate project
into which I install the plugin and run some tests. This is even more
appealing with the "inplace plugins" feature. Nonetheless, we should
try to avoid this problem by not compiling them if possible.

Please raise a documentation issue asking us to document which files
are excluded from packaged plugins. In the meantime, take a look at
the "pluginExcludes" variable in this script:

  http://svn.grails.codehaus.org/browse/grails/branches/GRAILS_1_1/scripts/_GrailsPluginDev.groovy?r=8206

Cheers,

Peter

Re: Re: [grails-dev] Re: [grails-user] Re: [grails-dev] Loading plugins from explicit locations

cazacugmihai-3
You must exclude also the "lib" dir.
Using Grails 1.1-SNAPSHOT, those plugins that not have the "lib" dir does not work.

> Makes sense, because they both have the class UrlMappings...  I noticed that
> when the plugin is packaged, UrlMappings is not included in the zip file --
> so should plugin projects NOT have a UrlMappings.groovy, resources.groovy,
> DataSource.groovy, etc?  My intuition tells me to just delete em, but I
> thought I'd check first.

Ouch - I hadn't thought of that.  I'll look into it. It may be
possible to exclude them from the compilation step.

> If the answer is yes (delete em), it begs the question:  What files
> can/should be removed from a plugin project?

They are only used if you run the plugin as an application - not
something that I do generally. I prefer to have a separate project
into which I install the plugin and run some tests. This is even more
appealing with the "inplace plugins" feature. Nonetheless, we should
try to avoid this problem by not compiling them if possible.

Please raise a documentation issue asking us to document which files
are excluded from packaged plugins. In the meantime, take a look at
the "pluginExcludes" variable in this script:

  http://svn.grails.codehaus.org/browse/grails/branches/GRAILS_1_1/scripts/_GrailsPluginDev.groovy?r=8206

Cheers,

Peter

Re: Re: [grails-dev] Re: [grails-user] Re: [grails-dev] Loading plugins from explicit locations

Eric Martineau

They are only used if you run the plugin as an application - not
something that I do generally. I prefer to have a separate project
into which I install the plugin and run some tests.

Agreed

Please raise a documentation issue asking us to document which files
are excluded from packaged plugins.

Done.  I put it under "Build Integration".  Hopefully that's fine.

Re: Re: [grails-dev] Re: [grails-user] Re: [grails-dev] Loading plugins from explicit locations

pledbrook
> You must exclude also the "lib" dir.
> Using Grails 1.1-SNAPSHOT, those plugins that not have the "lib" dir does
> not work.

Exclude the "lib" directory from what? Ah, you mean don't add the
plugin's "lib" directory to the compiler's classpath if it doesn't
exist?

Cheers,

Peter

Re: Re: [grails-dev] Re: [grails-user] Re: [grails-dev] Loading plugins from explicit locations

cazacugmihai-3
Yes, exclude from the compiler's classpath. I'm sorry for my inaccuracy.

The error:
Base Directory: APP_PATH
Running script GRAILS_PATH\scripts\RunApp.groovy
Environment set to development
  [groovyc] Compiling 1 source file to USER_DIR_PATH\.grails\1.1-SNAPSHOT\projects\APP_NAME\classes
Compilation error: USER_DIR_PATH\.grails\1.1-SNAPSHOT\projects\APP_NAME\plugins\PLUGIN_NAME\lib not found.