Migration from Grails 2.1.1 to... what?

Lucas Videla
Hi all!
I'm currently maintaining a system build on Grails 2.1.1, and it seems to be a bit old, so I think we can migrate it to a newer version.
What is the best strategy, from your point of view, to do so? I mean:
- Does it worth to migrate from 2.1.1 to 2.3.X, or should we migrate incrementally over minor versions?
- Should we wait the forthcoming Grails 2.4 / 3.0 ?

We don't need a specific strategy, just those rough advice :)

Thanks in advance!

                L.-

                L.-

Re: Migration from Grails 2.1.1 to... what?

Lucas Videla
Thank you, Daniel!
I think I'll embrace the upgrade next week, and come back with some results.

Can you paste some link to Tomas Lin's advice? I'd like to share this with the
other folks in my team.

Thanks again!!

--
                L.-

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 4:15 PM, Daniel Woods <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://fbflex.wordpress.com/2013/10/20/test-your-applications-against-the-nightly-builds-of-grails/

I'm sure we can even compel him to comment on the thread, if you have some further questions about this.

Cheers!
Dan

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 12:40 PM, Lucas Videla <<a href="javascript:_e({}, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;videla.lucas@gmail.com&#39;);" target="_blank">videla.lucas@...> wrote:
Hi all!
I'm currently maintaining a system build on Grails 2.1.1, and it seems to be a bit old, so I think we can migrate it to a newer version.
What is the best strategy, from your point of view, to do so? I mean:
- Does it worth to migrate from 2.1.1 to 2.3.X, or should we migrate incrementally over minor versions?
- Should we wait the forthcoming Grails 2.4 / 3.0 ?

We don't need a specific strategy, just those rough advice :)

Thanks in advance!

--
                L.-

Re: Migration from Grails 2.1.1 to... what?

tomas lin
Make sure you bump grails version to the next release or the script won't work.

export GRAILS_NIGHTLY="grails-2.3.6.BUILD-SNAPSHOT"

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 5:42 PM, Daniel Woods <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

rlovtangen
Upgrading to Grails 2.2.4 should be fairly easy and quite safe thing to do. I would say you at least should do that.
If you should go all the way to Grails 2.3.5 is more of a question. Currently I have 3 projects running Grails 2.3.5, but I'm holding on a bit more before I'm migration my other ~10 applications, as I have run into a few quirks here and there.

Ronny

On 28 Jan 2014, at 19:40, Lucas Videla <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all!
> I'm currently maintaining a system build on Grails 2.1.1, and it seems to be a bit old, so I think we can migrate it to a newer version.
> What is the best strategy, from your point of view, to do so? I mean:
> - Does it worth to migrate from 2.1.1 to 2.3.X, or should we migrate incrementally over minor versions?
> - Should we wait the forthcoming Grails 2.4 / 3.0 ?
>
> We don't need a specific strategy, just those rough advice :)
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> --
>                 L.-

Re: Migration from Grails 2.1.1 to... what?

Graeme Rocher-2
Upgrading to 2.3.x will require more changes, but once you are there
upgrading to 2.4.x will be easy since there won't be a lot of big
changes in 2.4.x

Cheers

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 7:40 PM, Lucas Videla <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all!
> I'm currently maintaining a system build on Grails 2.1.1, and it seems to be
> a bit old, so I think we can migrate it to a newer version.
> What is the best strategy, from your point of view, to do so? I mean:
> - Does it worth to migrate from 2.1.1 to 2.3.X, or should we migrate
> incrementally over minor versions?
> - Should we wait the forthcoming Grails 2.4 / 3.0 ?
>
> We don't need a specific strategy, just those rough advice :)
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> --
>                 L.-

SpringSource