Moving Grails source code to its own repository?

12

Moving Grails source code to its own repository?

Guillaume Laforge-2
Wouldn't it be the time to move Grails source code to its own CVS
repository, rather than keeping it under Groovy's one?

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: Moving Grails source code to its own repository?

graemer
Sounds like a good idea, what do we need to do to make it happen?

Graeme

On 26/02/06, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Wouldn't it be the time to move Grails source code to its own CVS
> repository, rather than keeping it under Groovy's one?
>
> --
> Guillaume Laforge
> Groovy Project Manager
> http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: Moving Grails source code to its own repository?

Guillaume Laforge-2
Just import all your source code there as if you were importing those
sources for the first time in CVS.
It makes me think that the url cvs.grails.codehaus.org is not
redirecting to fisheye's views.

Groovy Project Manager

http://cvs.codehaus.org/viewrep/grails

Groovy Project Manager
http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: Moving Grails source code to its own repository?

graemer
Unfortunately it is not as simple as that because if we did that we
would lose all history, comments and current versioning. We would need
codehaus to physically move the repository structure on the server..

Graeme

On 26/02/06, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://cvs.codehaus.org/viewrep/grails
>
> On 2/26/06, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Just import all your source code there as if you were importing those
> > sources for the first time in CVS.
> > It makes me think that the url cvs.grails.codehaus.org is not
> > redirecting to fisheye's views.
> >
> > On 2/26/06, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Sounds like a good idea, what do we need to do to make it happen?
> > >
> > > Graeme

> > --
> > Guillaume Laforge
> > Groovy Project Manager
> > http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy
> >

> --
> Guillaume Laforge
> Groovy Project Manager
> http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

RE: Moving Grails source code to its own repository?

Dierk König
for what my voice is worth, I have no problem with
having Grails in the same CVS.
I guess that the ci process can be set to the respective subdir and even
CVS statistics can deal with it.

What exactly is the need for the move?

Well, the move is really just to make the project more standalone,
than just being some kind fo Groovy sub-module. It's always been
intended to move to its own repository, but now that we've waited for
so long...
So, in the end, if you really don't want to move, well... let's keep it there.
I guess a simple copy of the subfolders to the right place might keep
the history.
Can someone confirm this?

Groovy Project Manager
http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: Moving Grails source code to its own repository?

graemer
On 26/02/06, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well, the move is really just to make the project more standalone,
> than just being some kind fo Groovy sub-module. It's always been
> intended to move to its own repository, but now that we've waited for
> so long...
> So, in the end, if you really don't want to move, well... let's keep it there.
> I guess a simple copy of the subfolders to the right place might keep
> the history.
> Can someone confirm this?

Yes a copy would keep the history i did this with one of our
repositories at work, CVS is essentially just a file system, but i
imagine its something we need the codehaus guys to do.

I would like it to have its own repo and not be, as you say, a groovy sub-module

Graeme

> On 2/26/06, Dierk Koenig <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > for what my voice is worth, I have no problem with
> > having Grails in the same CVS.
> > I guess that the ci process can be set to the respective subdir and even
> > CVS statistics can deal with it.
> >
> > What exactly is the need for the move?

Since the current Grails repo is empty, we can mess with it.
So I suggest we try to copy the submodule from Groovy and copy it to
Grails' CVS repo.
And we see if it works :-)

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: Moving Grails source code to its own repository?

graemer
On 26/02/06, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Yes a copy would keep the history i did this with one of our
> > repositories at work, CVS is essentially just a file system, but i
> > imagine its something we need the codehaus guys to do.
> >
> > I would like it to have its own repo and not be, as you say, a groovy sub-module
>
> Since the current Grails repo is empty, we can mess with it.
> So I suggest we try to copy the submodule from Groovy and copy it to
> Grails' CVS repo.
> And we see if it works :-)

Oke, do you want to do the honours or shall I? If its me what
directory on the server is the CVS repos for groovy and grails located
in?

> Guillaume Laforge
> Groovy Project Manager
> http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: Moving Grails source code to its own repository?

Guillaume Laforge-2
> Oke, do you want to do the honours or shall I? If its me what
> directory on the server is the CVS repos for groovy and grails located
> in?

I've just made a raw copy :-)
/home/projects/grails/scm is the directory.
Now we need to try and see if that's enough or if it's not that simple!

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: Moving Grails source code to its own repository?

Guillaume Laforge-2
Looks like it's working, isn't it?
History's kept and all.

Groovy Project Manager
http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: Moving Grails source code to its own repository?

graemer
Checking out works, and the history is there but unforunately
(probably due to permissions) I can't add or commit anything... when
commiting I get the error:

Error: cvs [server aborted]: could not open lock file
'/home/projects/grails/scm/grails, grails.iws,' : Permission denied

When attempting to add anything it just doesn't do it (although IDEA's
CVS client thinks it has done it.. ) you then get directory doesn't
exist errors and stuff like that.

I believe it is simply a permissions thing and chmoding it to the
right level for all should rectify the problem

Graeme

On 26/02/06, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Looks like it's working, isn't it?
> History's kept and all.
>
> On 2/26/06, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Oke, do you want to do the honours or shall I? If its me what
> > > directory on the server is the CVS repos for groovy and grails located
> > > in?
> >
> > I've just made a raw copy :-)
> > /home/projects/grails/scm is the directory.
> > Now we need to try and see if that's enough or if it's not that simple!
> >
> > --
> > Guillaume Laforge
> > Groovy Project Manager
> > http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy
> >

> --
> Guillaume Laforge
> Groovy Project Manager
> http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: Moving Grails source code to its own repository?

Guillaume Laforge-2
I didn't a simple stupide "mv".
As I'm not able to connect to beaver from work, could you check the
user / group of the Groovy repository and the Grails repository?

Guillaume

Groovy Project Manager
http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: Moving Grails source code to its own repository?

graemer
The files are owned by you hence the permission denied errors:

drwxr-sr-x    4 glaforge grails       4096 Feb 26 15:36 ant
drwxr-sr-x    3 glaforge grails       4096 Feb 26 15:36 bin
-r--r--r--    1 glaforge grails       2016 Feb 26 15:36 build.properties,v
-r--r--r--    1 glaforge grails       8537 Feb 26 15:36 build.xml,v
-r--r--r--    1 glaforge grails        837 Feb 26 15:36 commons.iml,v
-r-xr-xr-x    1 glaforge grails       8566 Feb 26 15:36 Grails.iml,v
-r--r--r--    1 glaforge grails      10851 Feb 26 15:36 grails.ipr,v
-r--r--r--    1 glaforge grails     103085 Feb 26 15:36 grails.iws,v
-r--r--r--    1 glaforge grails       4876 Feb 26 15:36 Grails Module.iml,v
drwxr-sr-x    4 glaforge grails       4096 Feb 26 15:36 lib
drwxr-sr-x    7 glaforge grails       4096 Feb 26 15:36 samples
drwxr-sr-x   10 glaforge grails       4096 Feb 26 15:36 src
drwxr-sr-x    7 glaforge grails       4096 Feb 26 15:36 test
-r-xr-xr-x    1 glaforge grails       2156 Feb 26 15:36 tomcat.xml,v

Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to change permissions on
them it will need to be done by you

Graeme
On 27/02/06, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I didn't a simple stupide "mv".
> As I'm not able to connect to beaver from work, could you check the
> user / group of the Groovy repository and the Grails repository?
>
> Guillaume
>
> On 2/27/06, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Checking out works, and the history is there but unforunately
> > (probably due to permissions) I can't add or commit anything... when
> > commiting I get the error:
> >
> > Error: cvs [server aborted]: could not open lock file
> > '/home/projects/grails/scm/grails, grails.iws,' : Permission denied
> >
> > When attempting to add anything it just doesn't do it (although IDEA's
> > CVS client thinks it has done it.. ) you then get directory doesn't
> > exist errors and stuff like that.
> >
> > I believe it is simply a permissions thing and chmoding it to the
> > right level for all should rectify the problem
> >
> > Graeme
> >
> > On 26/02/06, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Looks like it's working, isn't it?
> > > History's kept and all.

> > > --
> > > Guillaume Laforge
> > > Groovy Project Manager
> > > http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy
> > >

> --
> Guillaume Laforge
> Groovy Project Manager
> http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: Moving Grails source code to its own repository?

Guillaume Laforge-2
Okay, I see.
I'll try and fix that tonight.
What should the owner be? grails too?

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: Moving Grails source code to its own repository?

graemer
On 27/02/06, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Okay, I see.
> I'll try and fix that tonight.
> What should the owner be? grails too?

The groovy repository is owned by root, so i'm not sure if thats what
you need to follow, but it depends more on the permissions of other
users rather than who the files are owned by.

chmod -R 777 * recursively gives access to everyone and everything ;-)
but maybe we should ask the codehaus guys what they usually set it to?

> Guillaume Laforge
> Groovy Project Manager
> http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: Moving Grails source code to its own repository?

Guillaume Laforge-2
Okay, right, we'll have to ask Ben or Bof.

Groovy Project Manager
http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: Moving Grails source code to its own repository?

graemer
On 27/02/06, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Okay, right, we'll have to ask Ben or Bof.

Hi Guillaume,

Did you ask Ben or Bof? I have committed one important change to the
old repository which I've  migrated I've copied to the other codebase
and will commit when its working. but we need it working.. :-)

If not I will ask them..

Graeme

> On 2/27/06, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 27/02/06, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Okay, I see.
> > > I'll try and fix that tonight.
> > > What should the owner be? grails too?
> >
> > The groovy repository is owned by root, so i'm not sure if thats what
> > you need to follow, but it depends more on the permissions of other
> > users rather than who the files are owned by.
> >
> > chmod -R 777 * recursively gives access to everyone and everything ;-)
> > but maybe we should ask the codehaus guys what they usually set it to?
> >
> > Graeme
> >

> > > --
> > > Guillaume Laforge
> > > Groovy Project Manager
> > > http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy
> > >

> --
> Guillaume Laforge
> Groovy Project Manager
> http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: Moving Grails source code to its own repository?

graemer
Hi Ben,

I'm not sure if Guillaume has already contacted you about this, but
we're attempting to move the Grails CVS repository out of the Groovy
one and into its own self contained repository. Guillaume moved the
files in /home/projects/grails/scm

And we are able to checkout and update the filesf fine, the only issue
now is permissions on the files themselves as Guillaume seems to "own"
them. They need to be chmoded to the right level, I'm unable to do
this as Guillaume owns the files and he is unsure as to the level they
should be set to..

Could you possibly set them to the right level or advise Guillaume as
to the chmod command he needs to use to do so

Could you advise or do this