Multi-tenant-core plugin: Using MasterMode now

Multi-tenant-core plugin: Using MasterMode now

Sabst
The new "MasterMode" for MultiTenant plugin is discussed in other threads, e.g.:
http://grails.1312388.n4.nabble.com/Multi-tenant-plugin-cross-tenant-data-visibility-td3337638.html
http://grails.1312388.n4.nabble.com/How-to-mock-TenantUtils-doWithTenant-td3341772.html

I'm unsure about the status of this unofficial forked version and I have enough "inline" versions of public plugins for now.

So, is there a way to implement this feature in application code (with single DB) until the new version of the plugin is available?

BTW, any information on the future release of the MT Core plugin is welcome.

I'm using 1.3.7.
Rgds,
Stephane.

Re: Multi-tenant-core plugin: Using MasterMode now

lucastex
we're using the multi-tenant-single-db plugin, it is another approach on how to do the same "multi-tenancy" level, but in another way (with hibernate filters and vm events (hawk-eventing)).

the 'original and first' source is here: https://github.com/multi-tenant/grails-multi-tenant-single-db but the updated one and where docs are referenced are still on my branch https://github.com/lucastex/grails-multi-tenant-single-db

The plugin is published on the oficial repo. And you can use the Master Mode with:

YourTenantClass.withoutTenantRestriction {
   //code here won't be treated as multi-tenant
}

[]s,

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 5:21 PM, Sabst <[hidden email]> wrote:
The new "MasterMode" for MultiTenant plugin is discussed in other threads,
e.g.:
http://grails.1312388.n4.nabble.com/Multi-tenant-plugin-cross-tenant-data-visibility-td3337638.html
http://grails.1312388.n4.nabble.com/How-to-mock-TenantUtils-doWithTenant-td3341772.html

I'm unsure about the status of this unofficial forked version and I have
enough "inline" versions of public plugins for now.

So, is there a way to implement this feature in application code (with
single DB) until the new version of the plugin is available?

BTW, any information on the future release of the MT Core plugin is welcome.

I'm using 1.3.7.
Rgds,
Stephane.

Re: Multi-tenant-core plugin: Using MasterMode now

scryan
Should that become the official multi -tenant single db plugin and we can deprecate the other one.  I am looking at rewriting the multi db one so we can clear up any confusion and let people use all the new functionality that you have developed.

Scott Ryan
CTO
Denver, Colorado  USA
(303) 263-3044

On Aug 21, 2011, at 8:54 PM, Lucas F. A. Teixeira wrote:

[...]

Great Scott,

Let's talk in pvt to make this happen...
People are talking about mt apps more and more :)

[]s,

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Scott Ryan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yes now that 2.0 is closer to reality I would like to refactor and clarify what developers should be using to develop multi tenant apps.  I think we can clarify and stabilize the multi DB version and hopefully leverage the work that Kim and you have done to do the same with the single DB one.  I will reach out to you and Kim and see if we can all get together and work on this to help support 2.0 as it rolls out

Scott Ryan
CTO
Denver, Colorado  USA
(303) 263-3044

On Aug 22, 2011, at 7:58 AM, Lucas F. A. Teixeira wrote:

[...]

Lucas,

As you guessed, I'm not using the version you mentioned.

I'm using http://grails.org/plugin/multi-tenant-core and one of the reasons for that is the "roadmap" at the bottom of the home page (among others, an admin/master console would be great!).
And I'm also using the additional and really useful MT spring security support plugin (http://www.grails.org/plugin/multi-tenant-spring-security).

Now the evolution of multi-tenant-core is bothering when I look at the "vk77 fork" : this is based on an older version of the plugin (1.0.1 instead of the current 1.0.3) and quite old. Apart from that, this is a useful contribution.

I am currently trying to have my own version of the two plugins: multi-tenant-core and the companion spring security support. This is something I wanted to avoid but I do not see another option, at least for now.

Regarding the MasterMode, my functional requirement is to flag one or more specific roles as being "cross-tenants" (or master roles). This can be used, for example by the service admin,  to perform maintenance or support activities. Maybe this requirement is too specific and could be split in two:
- plugin capability to execute certain requests across tenants and
- ways for the application to define the condition when this happens (when current authorities include role XYZ in my case)

Even if the current status of multi-tenancy looks a bit chaotic now, I hope it will mature to something like spring security plugin(s): feature rich, well documented, quite extensible. IMO, multi-tenancy should be considered as a Framework feature, not just another plugin.

Regards,
Stephane.